PDA

View Full Version : White Sox in Hall of Fame

LITTLE NELL
05-15-2008, 02:02 PM
I was being teased today about recent White Sox Hall of Famers which there havent been too many. Who would you say will be next that spent the majority of their career with the Sox. Im going with Thomas and I think Baines will make it one of these days. Other than those two the pickings are slim.

aryzner
05-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Carlos Quentin :tongue:

aryzner
05-15-2008, 02:10 PM
In all seriousness I think you're right on with either TBH or Baines. Obviously Harold seems to be the next with a chance since Frank is still playing.

sox1970
05-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Thomas is the only one.

Baines isn't a Hall of Fame player.

Lip Man 1
05-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Two who should be in and maybe someday, somehow they will are Billy Pierce and Minnie Minoso. Ditto for Tommy John and Jim Kaat.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
05-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Two who should be in and maybe someday, somehow they will are Billy Pierce and Minnie Minoso. Ditto for Tommy John and Jim Kaat.

Lip
I would agree with you on those 4, but Kaat only spent 2 years with the Sox.

LITTLE NELL
05-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Thomas is the only one.

Baines isn't a Hall of Fame player.
Baines is 10th all time in AL RBIs and 23rd in MLB, thats pretty strong and I think will get him in.

eriqjaffe
05-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Baines is 10th all time in AL RBIs and 23rd in MLB, thats pretty strong and I think will get him in.I agree, but the HoF voters generally don't since his career was seriously prolonged by his being a DH. Mind you, that's their stigma, not mine. If MLB sanctioned the position, players shouldn't be discriminated against for playing it.

Beer Can Chicken
05-15-2008, 02:29 PM
I love Baines, he's one of my favorite SOX players of all time. But he is much closer to falling off the ballot than making the HOF. The last 2 times he got just over 5% of the vote.

sox1970
05-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Baines is 10th all time in AL RBIs and 23rd in MLB, thats pretty strong and I think will get him in.

Baines had longevity, which is great...but it was as a DH.

Being a DH doesn't disqualify him by any stretch, but he was never a top-5 MVP vote getter. He never led the league in any major statistical category.

He was a good player, but not an all-time great, which to me should be reserved for the very best of the best.

DumpJerry
05-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Uribe.

He's made many pitchers look like Cy Young.

Frater Perdurabo
05-15-2008, 02:47 PM

Being a DH doesn't disqualify his by any stretch, but he was never a top-5 MVP vote getter. He never led the league in any major statistical category.

He was a good player, but not an all-time great, which to me should be reserved for the very best of the best.

If the AL owners had not created the DH, then after Baines' injury in 1987 he would have been moved to first base, and he would have played out his career as a first baseman.

Until the DH came along, first base was where great hitters were positioned to be "hidden" or, as in the case of Baines, protected from injury.

Heck, first base is still where NL teams "hide" or "protect" hitters like Pujols, Berkman and Howard.

Harold Baines (and Frank Thomas) should not be punished for a decision made years ago by a bunch of rich guys in a cigar smoke-filled room.

sox1970
05-15-2008, 02:51 PM
If the AL owners had not created the DH, then after Baines' injury in 1987 he would have been moved to first base, and he would have played out his career as a first baseman.

Until the DH came along, first base was where great hitters were positioned to be "hidden" or, as in the case of Baines, protected from injury.

Heck, first base is still where NL teams "hide" or "protect" hitters like Pujols, Berkman and Howard.

Harold Baines (and Frank Thomas) should not be punished for a decision made years ago by a bunch of rich guys in a cigar smoke-filled room.

I should have left the DH thing out, since I don't think that's the main reason why Baines isn't in the HOF. He's not in because he didn't have the offensive accomplishments of the best of the best: batting titles, MVPs, leading the league in homers and RBIs. He just falls short in my opinion.

FedEx227
05-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Frank Thomas will be the next majority White Sox player to get in.

ondafarm
05-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Baines is barely holding on to his eligible status, I doubt he'll be elected. I don't think that's fair, but it's a fact.

Because Thomas has now played for two other teams, instead of the relative obscurity of just the White Sox, I think he will have a relatively easy time in being elected. Not a shoo-in, but within a couple of years of eligibility. He is still playing so obviously, that's more than five years away.

Question: Isn't Roberto Clemente the only exception to the five years after last game rule, and his was obviously due to extraordinary circumstances?

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 03:43 PM

LipRight on the money!

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Thomas (gag) will be the next to get in...
After that it will be Josh Fields...mark it down.

TDog
05-15-2008, 06:23 PM

Being a DH doesn't disqualify him by any stretch, but he was never a top-5 MVP vote getter. He never led the league in any major statistical category.

Harold Baines was one of the very best of the best hitters of his time. His knees prevented him from moving laterally and continuing to be one of the best rightfielders. Harold Baines was an RBI machine, not a PR machine.

Had the White Sox never traded him, there would be no question. He wouldn't have been platooned and would have had well over 3,000 hits. And, of course, there are of Hall of Famers who didn't play play defense when they stood out in the field with a glove in their hand.

I hope the fact that he has come so close to falling off the ballot in the last couple of years will bring his story to the attention of Hall of Fame voters. Lots of Hall of Famers started with less support than voters have shown Harold Baines the last couple of years.

TDog
05-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Thomas (gag) will be the next to get in...
After that it will be Josh Fields...mark it down.

Is there a Josh Fields still pitching in the Sox system? If there is, he probably wouldn't strike out as often as the Josh Fields currently on the Charlotte disabled list and might play defense, wherever that might be.

Joshua Dean Fields might make the Oklahoma State University Baseball Hall of Fame, though.

SI1020
05-16-2008, 09:40 AM
The biggest omission is Minnie Minoso. Billy Pierce is certainly equal to or better than a number of pitchers enshrined. His vote totals during his years of eligibility were shamefully low. Didn't any of the voters see him pitch? I mean some years I think he trailed the likes of Don Larsen and Harvey Haddix.

A. Cavatica
05-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Jeremy Reed is now officially "on the bubble".

It's Dankerific
05-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Would DLS count as a white sox HOF?

fquaye149
05-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Tim Raines has a good shot of making it sooner rather than later

Nellie_Fox
05-17-2008, 01:29 AM
Tim Raines has a good shot of making it sooner rather than laterBut not for what he did with the Sox. Nobody will think of him as a Sox, and he won't be wearing a Sox cap.

TDog
05-17-2008, 01:41 AM
But not for what he did with the Sox. Nobody will think of him as a Sox, and he won't be wearing a Sox cap.

Fortunately, his Hall of Fame plaque would mention that he played five seasons for the White Sox. I have no problem with the Hall of Fame having another player in an Expos cap.

Railsplitter
05-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Baines never led the league in any major offensive catagory, which is one of the reasons I think he doesn't belong in the HoF. I apply the same criteria to Ron Santo as well.

A player who is active for a long period of time will put up iimpressive lifetime stats, but it's the hall of Fame, not the Hall of Longevity.

TDog
05-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Baines never led the league in any major offensive catagory, which is one of the reasons I think he doesn't belong in the HoF. I apply the same criteria to Ron Santo as well.

A player who is active for a long period of time will put up iimpressive lifetime stats, but it's the hall of Fame, not the Hall of Longevity.

When Major League Baseball briefly had a statistic for game winning RBIs, Harold Baines led baseball, getting 23 in 1983. That came out to 23.2 percent of Sox wins. I believe he led the league for both years the statistic was officially recognized. The statistic was retired because many game-winning RBI were coming in the first inning. Lead-off men were getting game winning RBIs for home runs in the first at bat of games as the RBIs that put their team ahead for good, but Baines' game-winning hits (and sacrifice flies) were mostly coming late in games. It was a statistic that address specifically why Baines belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Eddo144
05-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Because Thomas has now played for two other teams, instead of the relative obscurity of just the White Sox, I think he will have a relatively easy time in being elected. Not a shoo-in, but within a couple of years of eligibility. He is still playing so obviously, that's more than five years away.

Question: Isn't Roberto Clemente the only exception to the five years after last game rule, and his was obviously due to extraordinary circumstances?
For a few years, it looked like Thomas might have had a slight struggle to get in (read: not first-ballot). However, the fact that he was the only major leaguer explicitly cleared by the Mitchell Report has cemented his first-ballot status. That, and the fact that when you look at the first 10 years of his career, the only comparable players go by the names of Ruth, Williams, and Gehrig.

As for Clemente, while I'm not sure he's the only player ever elected less than five years after he retired, there have been cases where players have appeared before the five year waiting period due to premature death, with Rod Beck being the most recent example.

TDog
05-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Baines is barely holding on to his eligible status, I doubt he'll be elected. I don't think that's fair, but it's a fact.

Playing with teams besides the White Sox hurt Baines and it hasn't helped Thomas. It is popular among White Sox fans to think playing for the White Sox is playing in relative obscurity, but starring for years with the White Sox isn't playing in obscurity. If it were, Frank Thomas wouldn't have won two MVP awards. Playing with one team is more impressive than moving from team to team at the end of your career. Playing for the Yankees, Dodgers or Giants has helped players. Fisk probably wouldn't have been elected to the Hall of Fame so quickly had he not played such a huge role in the 1975 World Series, but playing for Oakland and Toronto in the post-.300 years of Frank Thomas' career won't help him at all.

In answer to your question about Roberto Clemente, I can tell you that one player was on the Hall of Fame ballot while he was still active. There were no extraordinary circumstances involved other than his greatness, although he wasn't even the best player on his team for a large part of his career, and in an era of blue collar scrappy ballplayers, he had come from an Ivy League university. He wasn't elected that first year he was on the ballot. He got only about 22 percent of the vote. But this was a tough year. One retired White Sox player who would later be inducted got only 1.7 percent of the vote that first year he was on the ballot. Three years later, there were extraordinary circumstances when the former Ivy Leaguer became the only player to be inducted into the Hall of Fame in the same year he played his last game ... and became the first player to have a disease named for him.

By now you have guessed that player was ... Lou Gehrig.

And now you know ... the rest ... of the story.

TheVulture
05-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Baines never led the league in any major offensive catagory, which is one of the reasons I think he doesn't belong in the HoF.

Not that I think it makes Hal hall worthy, but he did lead the league in slugging in '84.

Tragg
05-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Raines won't go in as a Sox, but he was an outstanding player when he was here. Wish he was still coaching, too.
It's not like former Sox Tom Seaver or Steve Carleton.

Bobby Jenks
05-18-2008, 08:19 AM

Those are good numbers,but not good enough. Him being a DH will hurt his chances too

chaerulez
05-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Baines has always been a favorite of mine, but he's just no HOFer. HOFers are reserved for superstars who can keep it up for an extended peroid of time.