PDA

View Full Version : Brewers sign Braun to a 7 year deal.

ComiskeyBrewer
05-15-2008, 08:28 AM
They are going to annouce it later this morning. This deal with buy out Ryan's first year as a free agent.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/05/15/braun-to-sign-record-deal.aspx

btrain929
05-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Let's get Carlos under contract for a similar deal after he's announced to the All-Star team.

hi im skot
05-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Good for him. Braun is a fun player to watch.

I hope he sticks around in Milwaukee for a long time.

TDog
05-15-2008, 11:29 AM
With a player that comes up in your system, it isn't as big a risk as a free agent or someone picked up in a trade that hasn't played for your team. Braun's defense seems suspect, but he seems to be a quality hitter. I'm guessing the Brewers wouldn't have signed him to the extension unless their experience with him indicated he will continue working on his total game.

FedEx227
05-15-2008, 11:38 AM
With a player that comes up in your system, it isn't as big a risk as a free agent or someone picked up in a trade that hasn't played for your team. Braun's defense seems suspect, but he seems to be a quality hitter. I'm guessing the Brewers wouldn't have signed him to the extension unless their experience with him indicated he will continue working on his total game.

It's clear he's busting his ass to try and learn LF and I think it's worked out decent for them. Now if they could just get Prince Fielder to learn how to play 1B they'd be in business.

DSpivack
05-16-2008, 01:10 AM
It's clear he's busting his ass to try and learn LF and I think it's worked out decent for them. Now if they could just get Prince Fielder to learn how to play 1B they'd be in business.

How is Matt LaPorta's D? I'm thinking Fielder is not a cinch to be a long-term Brewer as is Braun.

johnnyg83
05-16-2008, 01:30 AM
Is it too obvious to think it's a steal? He'll also be asking to renog in 2011 when he's making 4 mil and TCQ s making 10 mil.

Bucky F. Dent
05-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Biggest contract ever signed by the Brewers according to Golic on ESPN radio.

BTW, meet your newest WSI elder.

Do I get a robe or a fancy scepter or a cool pope hat?

Do I have to grow a long beard?

ComiskeyBrewer
05-16-2008, 05:41 PM
How is Matt LaPorta's D? I'm thinking Fielder is not a cinch to be a long-term Brewer as is Braun.

Still growing pains. However he or gamel could easily fit in at 1B IMO.

FedEx227
05-16-2008, 06:27 PM

I'm thinking after this deal Fielder's long-term future with the team is definitely in question.

mcp5185
05-17-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm thinking after this deal Fielder's long-term future with the team is definitely in question.

I agree, if they continue to struggle this year, I could see Prince getting traded at the deadline, or in the offseason. I believe LaPorta was originally a first baseman before being moved to the outfield.

ComiskeyBrewer
05-17-2008, 11:52 PM
I agree, if they continue to struggle this year, I could see Prince getting traded at the deadline, or in the offseason. I believe LaPorta was originally a first baseman before being moved to the outfield.

Wow, i wouldn't go that far. They still control him for a few more years, so unless they get a MONSTER deal(basically 4-5 top tier, can't miss kids), the only guy i see leaving via trade would be Sheets.