PDA

View Full Version : How long until we sign Quentin long term?

JermaineDye05
05-15-2008, 02:53 AM
hopefully soon.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-15-2008, 04:20 AM
Kenny got him for a reason, so I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon. He's exactly what this team needs: power, but can hit for average.

WhiteSox5187
05-15-2008, 05:15 AM
Kenny got him for a reason, so I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon. He's exactly what this team needs: power, but can hit for average.
And he gets on base, if he had speed he'd be one of those rare early Barry Bonds type of guys who can do everything offensively...but I'm not so sure how much is left on his contract.

KRS1
05-15-2008, 05:41 AM
We hold his rights through the 2012 season.

ChiSoxPatF
05-15-2008, 05:57 AM
We hold his rights through the 2012 season.

I bet we sign a long-term deal to avoid arbitration in a year or two. Lock him up for cheaper for, say, 4 years when you have the rights for him for 2 more years (the Marlins, Twins, and D-Rays model). No need to take the risk of a catastrophic injury throwing money down the drain if, God forbid, Quentin were to blow out his knee next year after signing a long-term deal.

I still think this kid reminds me of Ordonez circa 2000. He's going to be the new cornerstone of this franchise - exciting time.

Lillian
05-15-2008, 07:17 AM
Perhaps his biggest test will come when he slumps badly for the first time.
He is so intense. He may be harder on himself than Konerko. It will be very interesting to see how he handles adversity. He was a former football player, and has that tendency to really bare down. They may have to put him on Valium or something when he struggles.
Nonetheless, I love him!!!!!

Bucky F. Dent
05-15-2008, 07:23 AM
This coming winter.

With all of the income they generate off of winning the '08 World Series there should be no problem getting both Quentin & Crede signed.

:)

ondafarm
05-15-2008, 07:46 AM
This coming winter.

With all of the income they generate off of winning the '08 World Series there should be no problem getting both Quentin & Crede signed.

You forgot your teal.

jenn2080
05-15-2008, 08:06 AM
This coming winter.

I would wait until the Sox can actually hit consecutive days before you start planning the parade.

twsoxfan5
05-15-2008, 08:33 AM
I would wait until the Sox can actually hit consecutive days before you start planning the parade.

I believe the giant smiley face shows that they are being a bit facetious, don't you?

Bucky F. Dent
05-15-2008, 08:33 AM

Don't be silly, planning the parade now would be bad luck.:D:

Bucky F. Dent
05-15-2008, 08:35 AM
You forgot your teal.

I always get yelled at for using the wrong color, so I have to rely on the reader's sense of sarcasm :(:.....and the occasional smiley face.:D:

btrain929
05-15-2008, 08:39 AM
I'm gonna take a guess and say they wait longer than 6 wks into the season.

Droso5
05-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Hopefully the clock doesn't strike 12 and TCQ doesn't turn into
The Julio "Juice" Cruz. That would suck.

skottyj242
05-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Um if we control his rights until 2012 isn't he already "signed" long term?

The Immigrant
05-15-2008, 09:39 AM
I can't think of an example of the Sox buying out a young player's arbitration years and a year or two of free agency, but hopefully that's just because we haven't had a gem like Quentin in a long time. Jenks is also a good candidate for such a deal, but obviously nothing has happened yet. Hopefully it's not a matter of the front office tilting at windmills.

jabrch
05-15-2008, 09:39 AM

No - big difference...

Right now we have no long term liability to him - we can let him go at any time for nothing - but after 2009 is over, he goes to arbitration and his salary would go up significantly for the 3 subsequent years.

We could sign him to a deal now, for 6 years, buying out 1 year of FA, and have a set cost that won't go up. However that means we'd take on the risk that he can continue to deliver.

I'm all for doing it IF management things CQ is going to consistently deliver something like .280/.360/.500. Then you sign him to 6/50 or something....maybe add an option year or two...who knows...

jabrch
05-15-2008, 09:43 AM
I can't think of an example of the Sox buying out a young player's arbitration years and a year or two of free agency, but hopefully that's just because we haven't had a gem like Quentin in a long time. Jenks is also a good candidate for such a deal, but obviously nothing has happened yet. Hopefully it's not a matter of the front office tilting at windmills.

We have not done it before - that's for sure. But that doesn't mean we wont do it.

Jenks would be less likely because he is already at his first arbitration year next season. So we lose a bit of the value of doing this...

jabrch
05-15-2008, 09:57 AM
The Brewers are about ready to announce a long term deal for Braun that is estimated to be about 45mm for 6 years. Seems about right as a baseline for a deal for Carlos. He's a similar player to Braun. And we'd be buying out two years of his FA (assuming similar deal to Braun)

btrain929
05-15-2008, 10:02 AM

He's under contract long term as long as we want him year, it would just be one year deals until he hits free agency, which can be frustrating on both sides (see: Joe Crede). It's just a matter of us possibly getting him under a "new" long term deal that will save the club a few bucks and give him some security. Once his arbitration years hit, if he keeps performing at his current pace (and with his age and skill set, I think he can only get better), he can demand a good amount of money. If we lock him up under a Swisher-like contract, that would definitely help the team financially.

btrain929
05-15-2008, 10:03 AM

It might not have happened with Jenks because of his past with injuries (not recently, but...), and because he's a pitcher. A position player, on the other hand, we should definitely look into doing this.

Sockinchisox
05-15-2008, 10:10 AM
I don't know if anyone cares, but 670 is going to have the guy that drafted Quentin on in a little bit.

And also, I looked at video from Quentin last year compared to this year, and his batting stance is completely different, he never used a crouch in previous years.

peeonwrigley
05-15-2008, 10:21 AM
And also, I looked at video from Quentin last year compared to this year, and his batting stance is completely different, he never used a crouch in previous years.

:hawk

"I told you!! Greg Walker is the best evah!!!!"

FedEx227
05-15-2008, 10:23 AM
The Brewers are about ready to announce a long term deal for Braun that is estimated to be about 45mm for 6 years. Seems about right as a baseline for a deal for Carlos. He's a similar player to Braun.

...Wow, I like Carlos Quentin too but that's a bit of a stretch.

rowand33
05-15-2008, 01:02 PM
I don't know if anyone cares, but 670 is going to have the guy that drafted Quentin on in a little bit.

Did the guy that drafted Quentin say anything of interest?

voodoochile
05-15-2008, 01:05 PM

Buerhle and Garland both had contracts like that. I am pretty sure they offered one to Joe Crede a few years ago too. The Sox generally don't do it before the player is arb eligible though.

hi im skot
05-15-2008, 01:08 PM
The Brewers are about ready to announce a long term deal for Braun that is estimated to be about 45mm for 6 years. Seems about right as a baseline for a deal for Carlos. He's a similar player to Braun. And we'd be buying out two years of his FA (assuming similar deal to Braun)

Braun actually has a solid season of major league service. Quentin...not so much.

I think Carlos is gonna be a good one, but I think we might be getting ahead of ourselves a bit.

sox1970
05-15-2008, 01:10 PM
...Wow, I like Carlos Quentin too but that's a bit of a stretch.

Stretch!!! Dadgummit!!!

Sockinchisox
05-15-2008, 01:11 PM

Not really, just that he thinks the shoulder injuries have held him back and that he's finally coming into his own.

Believe It!
05-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah

We got hosed:whiner:

gamblinkenny
05-15-2008, 01:39 PM
I'd preach cautious optimism with this guy. Cetainly looks like the real deal now, but let him put together a full, injury free, season first before he's annointed a savior.

That being said, he's got the tools to be a savior.

palehozenychicty
05-15-2008, 02:35 PM
I'd give him a year to year and a half of performance. He actually looks like a young Canseco in the box, during his Oakland days.

Paulwny
05-15-2008, 02:54 PM
He actually looks like a young Canseco in the box, during his Oakland days.

I've also noticed this.

Jaysox
05-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Stretch!!! Dadgummit!!!

I just died!!! Thanks for making my day!! :D:

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 04:04 PM
The Brewers are about ready to announce a long term deal for Braun that is estimated to be about 45mm for 6 years. Seems about right as a baseline for a deal for Carlos. He's a similar player to Braun. And we'd be buying out two years of his FA (assuming similar deal to Braun)Let's see, Braun knocked out 34 homers with 97 RBI and hit .324 last season and Quentin has had a good month and a half?
He's already in the same league in terms of numbers?

RockJock07
05-15-2008, 11:24 PM
If TCQ is anywhere close to Bruan then we are in for one hell of a player. I would wait (and I think KW will) before even thinking about a contract.

I don't know who else is really up for a contract that is pressing, other then crede, other then OC and maybe AJ, who i THINK is going into the final year at the begininng of 09 season. I think the pitching staff is pretty well locked up, I'm not sure of Thorton's or Jose's status. My point is that the money is probably there if KW wants to think about a extention for TCQ which IMO would be a bit hasty.

Lillian
05-16-2008, 06:03 AM
Have any of you noticed, or talked about his top hand grip on the bat?
He places his extended thumb on the bat, which is highly unusual. It must give him tremendous leverage with his top hand, but isn't that an injury waiting to happen? I would think that looking at Paulie right now would give Carlos pause to rethink that grip.

Bucky F. Dent
05-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Stretch!!! Dadgummit!!!

:rolling: