PDA

View Full Version : Padres Uni's

mack10zie
05-02-2002, 04:21 PM
I can't believe those things actually are uniforms. Who in the hell's idea was it to turn army fatigues into baseball uni's?!? Maybe it's just me but I think they are hideous. If you haven't seen them they're playing the Cubs right now on WGN, so you could check em out if you're by a TV.

Max Power
05-02-2002, 04:27 PM
I believe they came out with the fatigue design to try and get support from the large military population in San Diego. They aren't particularly appealing, but I guess if they get a few more people out to the ballpark and sell a couple of them then it's worthwhile.

Chisox_cali
05-02-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by mack10zie
I can't believe those things actually are uniforms. Who in the hell's idea was it to turn army fatigues into baseball uni's?!? Maybe it's just me but I think they are hideous. If you haven't seen them they're playing the Cubs right now on WGN, so you could check em out if you're by a TV.

I think it might be because Camp Pendelton is in San Diego, and I think that there is a port there as well but I can't think of the name. That may have something to do with it

Cheryl
05-02-2002, 04:28 PM
Maybe this is why (from padres.com):

WTC flag appearance highlights Military Opening Day

One of the three recognized United States flags that flew at the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001 will be present for Military Opening Day, Thursday, May 2 at Qualcomm Stadium as the Padres face the Chicago Cubs at 2:05 p.m. The flag will remain in San Diego overnight and be on display for public viewing on Friday, May 3 from 5:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m. in Club Lounge 31 at Qualcomm Stadium (prior to the 7:05 p.m. game between the Padres and the Pittsburgh Pirates).
Thursday's Military Opening Day will also feature 50 state flags to be presented by the Fleet Anti Submarine Warfare Center, San Diego. RADM James A. Johnson, USN, the new Commander of the Naval Medical Center, San Diego will throw out the game's ceremonial first pitch, while RP2 (SW) Asa Saunders, USN from Naval Air Weapons Station, China Lake, CA will sing our national anthem...

doctor30th
05-02-2002, 04:28 PM
They have had them since last year.

They have them becasue of all the military personnel that are in San diego, I believe there is both a Marine and Navy base there. It's a tribute to them.

Cheryl
05-02-2002, 04:47 PM
I looked at their website and the pictures there looked like they were wearing baseball unis.

foulkesfan11
05-02-2002, 11:59 PM
Were they wearing them just for today?

Procol Harum
05-03-2002, 10:27 AM
The poor Padres have been in Baseball Uniform Hell from the get-go of their franchise. For most of the team's history, their--admittedly logical, but ugly--color scheme of brown and yellow has been a major contributor. Any old-timers from back in the double-knit days of the mid-70s to mid-80s remember their hideous brown and yellow pullovers and brown hats with yellow brims? Yeeeeccchhh. Then they tried to go "traditional" but, somehow, brown pinstripes don't cut it. Since then they've tried navy blue/orange but their design has been simply uninspired. The fatigue-look jersey is but the latest faux pas on the Padres' fashion train wreck.

As Sox fans we can speak with authority on bad baseball unis--we've had some doozies in our franchise history...

BoozeSlut
05-03-2002, 05:14 PM
I live in San Diego and it is and has been the largest military base on the west coast since the early 1900's. Every branch of the armed forces is here. Some of the guys that died in Afghanistan were from Camp Pendleton here. So ugly or not, the uni's are a local tribute.
Me? Never in armed forces, I live 3 blocks from the beach and drink and look at all the beautiful women down here. :gulp:

:hawk
"I've been to sunny San Diego a few times DJ...and dadgum they have some nice weather down there"

baggio202
05-03-2002, 08:02 PM
its a nice tribute to the men and women who serve in that area...while they are ugly..cant argue with the sentiment..

you know they make urban fatigues with the colors black,gray and white...maybe the sox could???...what the hell..it couldnt be as bad as wearing shorts :o:

BackInBlack
05-03-2002, 11:03 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020502/capt.1020379448.cubs_padres_gos104.jpg

Daver
05-03-2002, 11:10 PM
What is the problem with woodland camo? I wear it all the time.