PDA

View Full Version : Edmonds signs with the Cubs pending physical.

It's Time
05-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Hendry and Piniella confirm.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=190917

Mods, since the other thread says "Edmonds available", I just figured this thread would confirm it. Obviously, feel free to merge them.

Unreal move by the Cubs.:scratch:

DickAllen72
05-14-2008, 06:50 PM
This move will be looked back upon as the negative turning point of the Cub's season.

It's Time
05-14-2008, 06:52 PM
This move will be looked back upon as the negative turning point of the Cub's season.

I completely concur. If they were getting the 2005 Edmonds, I'd pencil them in for the series right now. They already have a ton of offense over there. A strange move to say the least.

Cuck the Fubs
05-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Plan the parade route ASAP! :redneck

It's Time
05-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Plan the parade route ASAP! :redneck

:D:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/signaturepics/sigpic3424_1.gif
The lady on the right must have heard the news that the Cubs signed Edmonds.

hi im skot
05-14-2008, 07:10 PM
:rolling:

thomas35forever
05-14-2008, 07:14 PM
I don't like this move. If they plan on starting him everyday, that's bad news for Pie, who deserve CF a lot more and isn't going to mature as a major leaguer if a veteran past his prime is taking his place. The Cubs were set in the outfield just as the Sox are right now, which is why I didn't want them to touch him. If this blows up in Hendry's face, it'll be on his hands.

DickAllen72
05-14-2008, 07:33 PM
I don't like this move. If they plan on starting him everyday, that's bad news for Pie, who deserve CF a lot more and isn't going to mature as a major leaguer if a veteran past his prime is taking his place. The Cubs were set in the outfield just as the Sox are right now, which is why I didn't want them to touch him. If this blows up in Hendry's face, it'll be on his hands.
I like the move for all the reasons you mention. :cool:

SoxSpeed22
05-14-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't really understand what this accomplishes. Edmonds is finished.

fquaye149
05-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Even at his best, Edmonds wouldn't be what this team needs. Back of the rotation pitching and middle relief are areas of need.

CF is not.

Boondock Saint
05-14-2008, 08:37 PM
If they were going to play Edmonds in left and Reed Johnson in center with Pie in AAA, it'd work out nicely, but Soriano takes a big old dump on that idea.

turners56
05-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Terrible signing, that's all I have to say.

champagne030
05-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Even at his best, Edmonds wouldn't be what this team needs. Back of the rotation pitching and middle relief are areas of need.

CF is not.

I agree, a in his prime Edmonds, isn't what that team needs. They need two pitchers, other than Zambrano, to start in the playoffs and two reliable relievers to help Marmol. Pitching, defense and the ability to score without pounding the ball all over the park are the keys to playoff baseball....And the Flubs come up way short in those areas.

LoveYourSuit
05-14-2008, 09:26 PM

You guys are speaking as if the Cubs are going to pay this guy $10 million to play this year.

They have him here for the league minimum.

If he sucks they will just re-cut him..... no big deal.

I actually think this is a no lose situation for the Cubs. The guy has been a winner most of his career and played a few post season games for his career. Pie or Johnson have not sniffed anything close to a pennant race.

Keep in mind Edmonds failed big time on a team were he was looked upon to be a middle of the order threat because of how bad the Padres offense was. He probably will hit 7th with the Cubs behind a very good 3-4-5-6 line up punch.

CLR01
05-14-2008, 09:35 PM

If it's good enough for the Sox it's good enough for the Cubs. Pie had his chance....

or so I've learned.

fquaye149
05-14-2008, 09:42 PM
You guys are speaking as if the Cubs are going to pay this guy $10 million to play this year.

They have him here for the league minimum.

If he sucks they will just re-cut him..... no big deal.

I actually think this is a no lose situation for the Cubs. The guy has been a winner most of his career and played a few post season games for his career. Pie or Johnson have not sniffed anything close to a pennant race.

Keep in mind Edmonds failed big time on a team were he was looked upon to be a middle of the order threat because of how bad the Padres offense was. He probably will hit 7th with the Cubs behind a very good 3-4-5-6 line up punch.

It's just a stupid deal. It's a waste, if not of resources, of attention

LoveYourSuit
05-14-2008, 09:51 PM
It's just a stupid deal. It's a waste, if not of resources, of attention

Very well thought out point. :rolleyes:

fquaye149
05-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Very well thought out point. :rolleyes:

He's not healthy, he's put up flagging numbers to the point of non-production, and HE PLAYS A POSITION THAT THE CUBS DON'T REALLY NEED HELP IN

Yes, league minimum is probably not going to be THAT big a deal, but playing the waiver for CF's when you have two CF's who are more capable of playing the position, AND you have significant needs in rotation and bullpen is just a waste of time and the mark of a team that doesn't have its **** straightened out enough to make a substantial pennant run because it clearly has not correctly identified its needs, preferring to focus on things like "postseason experience" from a player who probably will not contribute positively to the team even if he can stay healthy

How's that :rolleyes:

Craig Grebeck
05-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Realistically, there's nothing Edmonds is better at than Pie. Terrible move.

TheOldRoman
05-14-2008, 11:18 PM
This move will be looked back upon as the negative turning point of the Cub's season.Well, as I read on another board, the Cubs fans are incensed. A bunch of clowns saying they could never root for him because he was the enemy. One says Sox fans are pathetic for rooting for AJ, and the Cubs fans are "above that". He then goes on to say he wouldn't sign Edmonds even it is meant winning the World Series, because it is unethical. :rolleyes:

Oh, and apparently every moron Cub fan thinks Jim Edmonds is gay for some reason. Despite stupidity, there is a whole lot of hypocrisy in that.

scarsofthumper
05-15-2008, 01:23 AM
I think it's a dumb move. It's just a kick in the face to Pie, and especially Johnson, who's been doing awesome.

Mr. White Sox
05-15-2008, 01:34 AM
I think it's a dumb move. It's just a kick in the face to Pie, and especially Johnson, who's been doing awesome.

Reed Johnson: .254/.338/.332 with great defense
Felix Pie: .222/.286/.286 with great defense

depends on your definition of awesome...although, I think Edmonds will offer similar numbers to Johnson (with some extra power in there) in exchange for poorer defense. Seems like a dumb move to me as well.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-15-2008, 05:22 AM
You can always leave it to the Cubs to pick up a player they have no need for.

Bucky F. Dent
05-15-2008, 06:44 AM

:)

alohafri
05-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Well, as I read on another board, the Cubs fans are incensed. A bunch of clowns saying they could never root for him because he was the enemy. One says Sox fans are pathetic for rooting for AJ, and the Cubs fans are "above that". He then goes on to say he wouldn't sign Edmonds even it is meant winning the World Series, because it is unethical. :rolleyes:

These are the same idiots who when asked "if you would be GUARANTEED a world championship the year after Wrigley Field was torn down, would you allow it to be torn down" they answer without hesitation, "no way".

alohafri
05-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Oh, and apparently every moron Cub fan thinks Jim Edmonds is gay for some reason. Despite stupidity, there is a whole lot of hypocrisy in that.

I have heard people talk about his locker room antics...maybe the two are related? :rolling:

LoveYourSuit
05-15-2008, 11:47 AM
You can always leave it to the Cubs to pick up a player they have no need for.

Is Roberto Alomar or Sany Alomar out there... oops wrong Chicago team.

Cuck the Fubs
05-15-2008, 11:51 AM
These are the same idiots who when asked "if you would be GUARANTEED a world championship the year after Wrigley Field was torn down, would you allow it to be torn down" they answer without hesitation, "no way".

I'll go you one better, at last years Cubs / Sox series, I had several idiots tell me they would rather sweep the regular season series vs the White Sox over winning the World Series.

Real fans of genius.....

Maybe I should call Bud Lite up and pitch that idea for their next ad :redneck

SOXPHILE
05-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Well, as I read on another board, the Cubs fans are incensed. A bunch of clowns saying they could never root for him because he was the enemy. One says Sox fans are pathetic for rooting for AJ, and the Cubs fans are "above that". He then goes on to say he wouldn't sign Edmonds even it is meant winning the World Series, because it is unethical. :rolleyes:

Yeah...Riiiiiiighhht. And if this guy were to drive in some runs in a big game, or make some specatcular catches in the outfield to save some runs, The Nation of Dumb would be giving him standing ovations as he stepped to the plate, and the bleacher scum would be bowing to him ala Dawson and Sosa.

soxfan13
05-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Yeah...Riiiiiiighhht. And if this guy were to drive in some runs in a big game, or make some specatcular catches in the outfield to save some runs, The Nation of Dumb would be giving him standing ovations as he stepped to the plate, and the bleacher scum would be bowing to him ala Dawson and Sosa.

Just like Sox fans did with Belle, Cordero, AJ to name just a few:rolleyes:

SOXPHILE
05-15-2008, 12:08 PM

I never cheered Belle, and I actually booed at Cordero. I didn't like them regardless of what hat they wore. I didn't hate A.J. when he was on the Twins either.

Sad
05-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Jim Edmonds... :rolleyes:

BAH HAH HAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

:rolling:

doublem23
05-15-2008, 12:26 PM

The Cordero signing was bad, but did he ever become a fan favorite? What did poor Joey and Anthony ever do to anyone?

PatK
05-15-2008, 12:29 PM
The Cubs fans I know are acting like they just signed A-Rod for nothing.

Uncle_Patrick
05-15-2008, 12:36 PM
I'll go you one better, at last years Cubs / Sox series, I had several idiots tell me they would rather sweep the regular season series vs the White Sox over winning the World Series.

Real fans of genius.....

Maybe I should call Bud Lite up and pitch that idea for their next ad :redneck

That stupidity exists on both sides of town.

Foulke You
05-15-2008, 12:45 PM
According to AM1000 this morning, Pinella announced that Edmonds would be batting 5th in the lineup behind Aramis Ramirez. They also said they plan on moving Fukudome to the 2 hole and dropping the .330 hitting Theriot to the bottom of the order. This should be quite entertaining if all of this is true.:popcorn:

FedEx227
05-15-2008, 12:48 PM
According to AM1000 this morning, Pinella announced that Edmonds would be batting 5th in the lineup behind Aramis Ramirez. They also said they plan on moving Fukudome to the 2 hole and dropping the .330 hitting Theriot to the bottom of the order. This should be quite entertaining if all of this is true.:popcorn:

Yes, yes... it's happening.

Seriously? Are they THAT dumb?

Foulke You
05-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Yes, yes... it's happening.

Seriously? Are they THAT dumb?
My jaw almost hit the floor when I heard this. I'll believe it when I actually see it for myself. They are nuts if they go with this plan. The Cubs are scoring runs in bunches right now. Why the heck would they mess with that? Theriot is a prototype top of the order pesky hitter who sees a ton of pitches and gets on base all the time. Why the heck would they move him down? From a Sox fan perspective, I'm praying it goes down this way.:cool:

LoveYourSuit
05-15-2008, 01:01 PM

ok, now I'm convinced that they are stupid (if that's the plan).

Well, maybe they will take Thome off our hands too for the 3 hole and give us Lee?

thomas35forever
05-15-2008, 01:16 PM
I hate to say it, but this afternoon's Cubs game will be a must-watch. The next couple weeks will be interesting in Cubdom.

kittle42
05-15-2008, 01:25 PM
It's gonna happen.

kittle42
05-15-2008, 01:44 PM
He's hitting 6th today. Theriot still at 2.

Uncle_Patrick
05-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Don't Zambrano and Edmonds really hate each other? Could that be this year's dugout brawl?

alohafri
05-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Don't Zambrano and Edmonds really hate each other? Could that be this year's dugout brawl?

Zambrano of all people accused Edmonds of showing him up by watching a homerun at the Shrine. Zambrano? Hello, Pot? This is the kettle. You are black.

Bill Naharodny
05-15-2008, 02:23 PM

Looks like they're not going to do this today. But the reasons they would consider it are interesting. Part of it is Fukudome's OBP and ability to handle the bat; he's great at it. But the reason you won't hear -- and which I think is also true -- is that Fukudome's not driving in many runs. He's on pace to knock in a Mark Grace-like 64, and he's done that from the 5 hole. You don't notice it much because he's so patient and Soto's been a beast behind him, but it's also not something the Tribune's going to tell you. To put it into perspective, right now, Fukudome has fewer RBI than Reed Johnson.

soxfan13
05-15-2008, 02:45 PM
I never cheered Belle, and I actually booed at Cordero. I didn't like them regardless of what hat they wore. I didn't hate A.J. when he was on the Twins either.

Find it hard to believe you but oh well

The Cordero signing was bad, but did he ever become a fan favorite? What did poor Joey and Anthony ever do to anyone?

Yeah Cordero was a bad signing but I didnt say he became a fan favorite. My point being these were hated players ESPECIALLY Belle and AJ but when on the Sox they were cheered not ignored.

Foulke You
05-15-2008, 02:48 PM
He's hitting 6th today. Theriot still at 2.
Seems AM1000 was prematurely reporting wrong information. Shocking. Still, 6th seems too high in the order for a washed up CF who hits .175.

kittle42
05-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Seems AM1000 was prematurely reporting wrong information. Shocking. Still, 6th seems too high in the order for a washed up CF who hits .175.

He's 1-for-1. Go, Cubbies.

TheVulture
05-19-2008, 12:09 AM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/subgenius88/machomen.jpg
Welcome to Boystown, Jimmy!