PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Media's Agenda: Kicking the White Sox While They're Down

Viva Medias B's
05-14-2008, 08:01 AM
It's bad enough that we are playing mediocre and falling further away from the top of the AL Central. It's bad enough that we have to watch Jim Thome, Paul Konerko, Nick Swisher, Juan Uribe, etc., make John Shoop's Bears offensive teams look like a juggernaut. And not that we should be "flubsessed," but the success the Chicago National League Ballclub, Inc., is currently experiencing is not exactly what we as White Sox fans want to see either.

Amid all that, we have to endure as White Sox fans a daily assault against our franchise and fandom by elements of the increasingly Cubbie-loving Chicago sports media. The local media, omnipotent in its own mind, always subjects us to a stricter scrutiny than other teams in town. However, it seems the smear campaign has been stepped up in recent weeks in conjunction with our mediocre play.

The Chicago Sun-Times is at the forefront of this assault, in my opinion. Most of the time, the anti-White Sox dogma has come from that certain columnist. Lately, this person has waged an all-but-daily assault against all things Jerry Reinsdorf. Whether it's about an Ozzie Guillen rant or blow up dolls in the clubhouse or the Bulls failing to sign Mark D'Antoni, this columnist exploits these situations into a Reinsdorf bashing festival. Not that Reinsdorf is without any fault of his own, but this columnist's rants are based on his pure hatred of Reinsdorf alone and not necessarily the impact Reinsdorf's doings (of lack thereof) have upon his sports properties.

The basis of this hatred, I believe, is the fact that this columnist is a member of what Terry Boers and Dan Bernstein call the "Jordan Ass Licking Society." The columnist is certainly a member of that esteemed organization. And when differences between Michael Jordan and Bulls management occurred, the columnist always sided with M. Jeff regardless of who was right and who was wrong. Because of that, the columnist's hatred for Reinsdorf is eternal.

Lately, however, the anti-White Sox smear campaign has moved beyond this columnist's bird cage lining page. Columnist Carol Slezak got second hand information about blow up dolls in the White Sox clubhouse in Toronto and had a field day. This was followed by the predictable rant from that certain columnist and condemnation from the national hypocritical mediots of the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network. One thing about this that caught my attention was the response letters Slezak printed a few days later. Most of the letters against her which she printed were embarrassing, and I think Slezak did that on purpose to smear rank-and-file individuals who did not agree with her.

The reason that this episode got the attention it did is because it was the White Sox. If it were the Cubs or the Yankees or the Red Sox or any other team in MLB for that matter, it would not have gotten the condemnatory attention that it did. I believed that then, and I believe that now. Beyond that, little items here and there in the Sun-Times have suggested a general smear campaign underway. The "Everyone Loves the Cubs" thing comes to mind.

Another source of an anti-White Sox smear campaign came from a surprising source, our own flagship radio station. Yesterday afternoon on WSCR-AM (670), Dan Bernstein criticized Mike Downey's Chicago Tribune column taking the local media to task on its baseball coverage. Bernstein acted as an agent of the Chicago Sports Thought Police, evidently, because Downey is "not with the program." Even though Downey may have overrated our competitiveness given our recent struggles, I thought what he wrote was generally right. Yet Bernstein claimed that Downey was wrong because, as he opined, 1) there are more Cub fans than White Sox fans hence the Cubs should get more coverage than the Sox do and 2) White Sox fans "know" their team isn't good and, hence, should have no real hope for them.

I have a problem with both points, and it surprises me that a Sox fan which Bernstein claims to be is making them. I do not care that there are more Cub fans than White Sox fans. That in no way justifies the back-of-the-bus treatment we receive from the local media. We deserve to be treated fairly. End of story. As for Bernstein's second premise, we all know we're struggling right now. WSI has learned that the White Sox have been struggling the past couple weeks. But what if Sox hitters somehow find their stroke? As bad as the offensive has been, better clutch hitting down the road is not out of the question. And if the great pitching we mostly have had holds up if and when an offensive resurgence takes places, I think we can certainly contend in the AL Central.

It's bad enough that we are mired in mediocrity at the moment, but we do not need the local mediots to be joyfully pouring salt on an open wound with their smear campaign against our franchise and fandom. We deserve to be criticized for not clutch hitting, but we do not deserve to be condemned for merely being the Chicago White Sox franchise and fandom which is the local media's joy and pleasure as of late. After all, we are the one major professional sports team in this town to win a recent world championship. If, by the grace of God, we managed to do that again. Crow may become extinct with the amount that will have to be eaten by the local mediots.

LITTLE NELL
05-14-2008, 08:24 AM
It's bad enough that we are playing mediocre and falling further away from the top of the AL Central. It's bad enough that we have to watch Jim Thome, Paul Konerko, Nick Swisher, Juan Uribe, etc., make John Shoop's Bears offensive teams look like a juggernaut. And not that we should be "flubsessed," but the success the Chicago National League Ballclub, Inc., is currently experiencing is not exactly what we as White Sox fans want to see either.

Amid all that, we have to endure as White Sox fans a daily assault against our franchise and fandom by elements of the increasingly Cubbie-loving Chicago sports media. The local media, omnipotent in its own mind, always subjects us to a stricter scrutiny than other teams in town. However, it seems the smear campaign has been stepped up in recent weeks in conjunction with our mediocre play.

The Chicago Sun-Times is at the forefront of this assault, in my opinion. Most of the time, the anti-White Sox dogma has come from that certain columnist. Lately, this person has waged an all-but-daily assault against all things Jerry Reinsdorf. Whether it's about an Ozzie Guillen rant or blow up dolls in the clubhouse or the Bulls failing to sign Mark D'Antoni, this columnist exploits these situations into a Reinsdorf bashing festival. Not that Reinsdorf is without any fault of his own, but this columnist's rants are based on his pure hatred of Reinsdorf alone and not necessarily the impact Reinsdorf's doings (of lack thereof) have upon his sports properties.

The basis of this hatred, I believe, is the fact that this columnist is a member of what Terry Boers and Dan Bernstein call the "Jordan Ass Licking Society." The columnist is certainly a member of that esteemed organization. And when differences between Michael Jordan and Bulls management occurred, the columnist always sided with M. Jeff regardless of who was right and who was wrong. Because of that, the columnist's hatred for Reinsdorf is eternal.

Lately, however, the anti-White Sox smear campaign has moved beyond this columnist's bird cage lining page. Columnist Carol Slezak got second hand information about blow up dolls in the White Sox clubhouse in Toronto and had a field day. This was followed by the predictable rant from that certain columnist and condemnation from the national hypocritical mediots of the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network. One thing about this that caught my attention was the response letters Slezak printed a few days later. Most of the letters against her which she printed were embarrassing, and I think Slezak did that on purpose to smear rank-and-file individuals who did not agree with her.

The reason that this episode got the attention it did is because it was the White Sox. If it were the Cubs or the Yankees or the Red Sox or any other team in MLB for that matter, it would not have gotten the condemnatory attention that it did. I believed that then, and I believe that now. Beyond that, little items here and there in the Sun-Times have suggested a general smear campaign underway. The "Everyone Loves the Cubs" thing comes to mind.

Another source of an anti-White Sox smear campaign came from a surprising source, our own flagship radio station. Yesterday afternoon on WSCR-AM (670), Dan Bernstein criticized Mike Downey's Chicago Tribune column taking the local media to task on its baseball coverage. Bernstein acted as an agent of the Chicago Sports Thought Police, evidently, because Downey is "not with the program." Even though Downey may have overrated our competitiveness given our recent struggles, I thought what he wrote was generally right. Yet Bernstein claimed that Downey was wrong because, as he opined, 1) there are more Cub fans than White Sox fans hence the Cubs should get more coverage than the Sox do and 2) White Sox fans "know" their team isn't good and, hence, should have no real hope for them.

I have a problem with both points, and it surprises me that a Sox fan which Bernstein claims to be is making them. I do not care that there are more Cub fans than White Sox fans. That is no way justifies the back-of-the-bus treatment we receive from the local media. We deserve to be treated fairly. End of story. As for Bernstein's second premise, we all know we're struggling right now. WSI has learned that the White Sox have been struggling the past couple weeks. But what if Sox hitters somehow find their stroke? As bad as the offensive has been, better clutch hitting down the road is not out of the question. And if the great pitching we mostly have had holds up if and when an offensive resurgence takes places, I think we can certainly contend in the AL Central.

It's bad enough that we are mired in mediocrity at the moment, but we do not need the local mediots to be joyfully pouring salt on an open wound with their smear campaign against our franchise and fandom. We deserve to be criticized for not clutch hitting, but we do not deserve to be condemned for merely being the Chicago White Sox franchise and fandom which is the local media's joy and pleasure as of late. After all, we are the one major professional sports team in this town to win a recent world championship. If, by the grace of God, we managed to do that again. Crow may become extinct with the amount that will have to be eaten by the local mediots.
Could not have said it better myself. I guess its something we as Sox fans will have to live with. Thank God for 2005 otherwise the Sox may have been ridden out of town by these Cub loving media jerks. In the words of the late great Mayor Richard J. Daley, they can all kiss my mistletoe.

the1tab
05-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Nice manifesto.

Yes, it does suck to be a Sox fan in Chicago. You're right. The media loves the Cubs. Especially during a week when A) the sale of the Cubs & their stadium is news, B) the Cubs are in first place, C) the Cubs are playing at home and D) the Sox games start during the late local news, keeping there from being many highlights or final scores to report.

However, I actually read Downey's column, and it was well written. I think he did a good job of being the token member of the media to name the elephant in the room... now we'll see how him calling out all of his peers goes over the next couple weeks.

ondafarm
05-14-2008, 08:27 AM
You do more than line the bottom of the parakeet cage or wrap fish in what passes for newspapers in this town?

I never would have thought to do that.

Frater Perdurabo
05-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Stop reading those papers; stop buying them at news stands and cancel your subscriptions. Stop listening to those stations and watching those cable outlets. Call and write to their advertisers and sponsors and tell them you are boycotting their businesses because they do business with those papers and stations who crap on the Sox. Tell them you are asking all your friends and family to do the same. Tell them that you have canceled your subscriptions to those papers. Send e-mails to the editors of those papers and the program directors of those stations to let them know what you are doing, too. If enough Sox fans did this, the papers and stations would get the clue very quickly.

Next, do something positive. Change your buying habits. Buy from businesses that sponsor the Sox. Tell them that you are buying from them specifically because they sponsor the Sox.

Instead of consuming those craptacular media outlets, read the Daily Herald. Listen to NPR or your iPod. Spend more time with your loved ones.

October26
05-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Stop reading those papers; stop buying them at news stands and cancel your subscriptions. Stop listening to those stations and watching those cable outlets. Call and write to their advertisers and sponsors and tell them you are boycotting their businesses because they do business with those papers and stations who crap on the Sox. Tell them you are asking all your friends and family to do the same. Tell them that you have canceled your subscriptions to those papers. Send e-mails to the editors of those papers and the program directors of those stations to let them know what you are doing, too. If enough Sox fans did this, the papers and stations would get the clue very quickly.

Next, do something positive. Change your buying habits. Buy from businesses that sponsor the Sox. Tell them that you are buying from them specifically because they sponsor the Sox.

Instead of consuming those craptacular media outlets, read the Daily Herald. Listen to NPR or your iPod. Spend more time with your loved ones.

:thumbsup: Nice post.

Thome25
05-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Your point is EXACTLY the reason why Ozzie's recent rant was right......he said things that most people are afraid to say about the Chicago baseball situation.

I actually agreed with John Kruk when he said something to the same effect.

The White Sox have been the most successful baseball team in Chicago for the better part of 20 years. This success was capped off by a WS victory in 2005. Yet they get treated like a minor league baseball team by the media and a majority of their own city. This is to a team that is the perennial losers and doormats of their division and league for the better part of 100 years.

Also, Reinsdorf is the most successful owner in Chicago sports history. He has 7 championships yet he continuously gets treated like the Chicago media's whipping boy.

The intelligent White Sox fans on this site all know that Downey (And Morrisey to a certain extent.) is a the voice of reason and the rest of the Chicago media is not with the program.

Also we all know Boers and Bernstien are a couple of idiots. It's a miracle they know how to get themselves out of bed and get themselves dressed in the morning let alone run a radio show.

And by the way.....well written start to this thread!! :D:

kittle42
05-14-2008, 09:41 AM

This is almost Hangar-esque. There is much more to life than which sports team businesses care about.

kittle42
05-14-2008, 09:42 AM
The White Sox have been the most successful baseball team in Chicago for the better part of 20 years. This success was capped off by a WS victory in 2005. Yet they get treated like a minor league baseball team by the media and a majority of their own city. This is to a team that is the perennial losers and doormats of their division and league for the better part of 100 years.

Yes, but look how cute they are! Where's my "Wrigley Field" pullover which makes no mention of the actual team or sport???

SoxGirl4Life
05-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Could not have said it better myself. I guess its something we as Sox fans will have to live with. Thank God for 2005 otherwise the Sox may have been ridden out of town by these Cub loving media jerks. In the words of the late great Mayor Richard J. Daley, they can all kiss my mistletoe.

I think its gotten worse since 2005.

I truly believe that there is a certain level of "But the Cubs were supposed to win a World Series first" disdain. Favorite topic of the Sun times and sports radio last year was that 2005 was a fluke and didn't really mean anything. If it was so damn fluky and easy, you think the Cubs would have run into a flukey championship themselves over the past 100 years.

Palehose Pete
05-14-2008, 09:55 AM
It's distressing to see fine and intelligent Sox fans still getting upset with the way the Chicago media cover the Sox compared to the Cubs. I would think at this point that anyone who lives in the greater Chicagoland region would know to have very low, if nonexistent, expectations of how and to what extent the Sox are covered by the Chicago media and to get their baseball news from other sources. I, for one, do not read the sports sections of either major Chicago newspaper nor do I watch the sports portion of any Chicago televised newscast. I go to national websites, MLB.com and here, of course, to find out about sports and our Sox. Any knowledge of what the local media are saying about the Sox comes from what posters on this board impart.

"Just don't look. Just don't look." You will not regret it. Trust me.

eriqjaffe
05-14-2008, 09:57 AM
It's distressing to see fine and intelligent Sox fans still getting upset with the way the Chicago media cover the Sox compared to the Cubs. I would think at this point that anyone who lives in the greater Chicagoland region would know to have very low, if nonexistent, expectations of how and to what extent the Sox are covered by the Chicago media and to get their baseball news from other sources. I, for one, do not read the sports sections of either major Chicago newspaper nor do I watch the sports portion of any Chicago televised newscast. I go to national websites, MLB.com and here, of course, to find out about sports and our Sox. Any knowledge of what the local media are saying about the Sox comes from what posters on this board impart.

"Just don't look. Just don't look." You will not regret it. Trust me.I agree with everything in this post.

MeteorsSox4367
05-14-2008, 10:12 AM
I know we're not supposed to give a crap about what the media says about our White Sox and for the most part, I don't. However, when watching Tribune Live Tuesday night during dinner, I wanted to throw something at the TV when host (and diehard Cubs apologist) Dave Kaplan was discussing Mark Buehrle's woes with his panel.

Kaplan seemed to take some extra pleasure in the fact that Buehrle is struggling and that the Sox signed Buehrle long-term last season.

If I could have one wish granted this season, it's that if/when Buehrle pitches against the Cubs, that he does so well just to stick it to Kaplan and those others who are inferring that Buehrle is a bust and perhaps done.

SoxGirl4Life
05-14-2008, 10:19 AM
I know we're not supposed to give a crap about what the media says about our White Sox and for the most part, I don't. However, when watching Tribune Live Tuesday night during dinner, I wanted to throw something at the TV when host (and diehard Cubs apologist) Dave Kaplan was discussing Mark Buehrle's woes with his panel.

Kaplan seemed to take some extra pleasure in the fact that Buehrle is struggling and that the Sox signed Buehrle long-term last season.

If I could have one wish granted this season, it's that if/when Buehrle pitches against the Cubs, that he does so well just to stick it to Kaplan and those others who are inferring that Buehrle is a bust and perhaps done.

Kaplan's an idiot. I noticed this glee from him a few weeks ago.

spiffie
05-14-2008, 10:23 AM
This is almost Hangar-esque. There is much more to life than which sports team businesses care about.
If sponsorship means nothing, why do people pay such large amounts to advertise and attain said sponsorships? As consumers we have very little power in this world. One of the few things we can control is the direction of our spending. Why not try if possible to direct spending towards those companies who have chosen to support things you agree with?

Viva Medias B's
05-14-2008, 10:28 AM

That is all easier said than done, and I would not hold my breath waiting for such a tactic to become effective.

Also, Reinsdorf is the most successful owner in Chicago sports history. He has 7 championships yet he continuously gets treated like the Chicago media's whipping boy.

Actually, the Chicago Sports Thought Police (specifically that certain columnist) would respond and claim that Michael Jordan was mainly responsible for those six Bulls titles. That is part of the "It was all Michael, Phil, and Scottie!" revisionist history. Michael Jordan, no doubt, played the biggest role in the Bulls dynasty. However, it was Reinsdorf and Jerry Krause who put the pieces in place (specifically "Phil" and "Scottie") that enabled the Bulls to win those championships that organizations do win. Somehow, the Bulls failed to win the NBA Finals during Jordan's first seven seasons as a member of the Bulls. What Krause has done in the post-Jordan era set the franchise back years, and the franchise continues to suffer from that today. However, the Bulls dynasty was not "all Michael, Phil, and Scottie."

And exactly how will this stop us from being treated like garbage by the media? Ignoring it will not make it go away.

Palehose Pete
05-14-2008, 10:38 AM
I understand, Viva. It used to drive me nuts to read the headlines and watch the newscasts. Even late into the '05 season, the local news gave short shrift to the Sox (except, of course, when the Tribe looked like they were going to take the division - then the local media trounced all over the Sox with daily coverage that berated the team).

It's been this way for some time, and I can only think of one way to preserve my sanity and, hopefully, in some small way, influence the trend while supporting our Sox: Just don't look. I have never been more at peace with baseball than I have this season, even with the team below .500. It's all because I've stopped getting listening to, watching, and reading Chicago sports news sources.

Thome25
05-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Actually, the Chicago Sports Thought Police (specifically that certain columnist) would respond and claim that Michael Jordan was mainly responsible for those six Bulls titles. That is part of the "It was all Michael, Phil, and Scottie!" revisionist history. Michael Jordan, no doubt, played the biggest role in the Bulls dynasty. However, it was Reinsdorf and Jerry Krause who put the pieces in place (specifically "Phil" and "Scottie") that enabled the Bulls to win those championships that organizations do win. Somehow, the Bulls failed to win the NBA Finals during Jordan's first seven seasons as a member of the Bulls. What Krause has done in the post-Jordan era set the franchise back years, and the franchise continues to suffer from that today. However, the Bulls dynasty was not "all Michael, Phil, and Scottie.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Jordan doesn't win championships without Phil Jackson, Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, Jerry Krause, or Dennis Rodman.

All of those names were acquired on Reinsdorf's watch. Last time I checked Jordan doesn't win any championships all by himself in a 5-on-1 contest. Or worse yet, Jordan and 2 Scott Williams' and 2 Pete Myers' doesn't win JACK.

Point being, Reinsdorf's regime helped Jordan get a solid team and coaching staff around him so he could win championships.....something he hadn't done before that.

Reinsdorf deserves credit where credit is due.....besides all of the basketball championships, he brought Chicago it's first baseball championship in a combined 185 seasons. (at the time.) For that alone, he shouldn't get the ridicule he gets from the pathetic Chicago media.

DSpivack
05-14-2008, 10:51 AM
If a bunch of idiots want to root for a perennially losing team that rivals the NFL Cardinals in their ways of futility, let them.

I'm perfectly content with rooting for a team that contends nearly every year, where a losing season is unusual, and that has won a World Series just a few years ago.

Then again, I don't live in Chicago anymore.

thomas35forever
05-14-2008, 10:56 AM
I've been trying to avoid the anti-Sox **** in the papers, but it's pretty obvious that The Moron and his employer are the ringleader of the whole ordeal. Whatever the reason, just tell the media to go **** itself and just focus on the team trying (if that's what it's doing) to win games.

kittle42
05-14-2008, 11:00 AM
If sponsorship means nothing, why do people pay such large amounts to advertise and attain said sponsorships? As consumers we have very little power in this world. One of the few things we can control is the direction of our spending. Why not try if possible to direct spending towards those companies who have chosen to support things you agree with?

I have no issue with that. I just think what a company agrees with in certain non-sports-related areas is more important significantly than what they agree with re: baseball.

soxpride724
05-14-2008, 11:56 AM

I truly believe that there is a certain level of "But the Cubs were supposed to win a World Series first" disdain. Favorite topic of the Sun times and sports radio last year was that 2005 was a fluke and didn't really mean anything. If it was so damn fluky and easy, you think the Cubs would have run into a flukey championship themselves over the past 100 years.

It's a damn shame. Soon after the World series parade, things went back to the way they have always been. I can't recall which columnist it was that said "The White Sox are no longer the second team in the second city". Yeah, for maybe a month.

kittle42
05-14-2008, 12:01 PM
It's a damn shame. Soon after the World series parade, things went back to the way they have always been. I can't recall which columnist it was that said "The White Sox are no longer the second team in the second city". Yeah, for maybe a month.

Yeah, but didn't we all know that would happen? Had they even made the World Series again in 2006, maybe things would have changed. Had they won again in 2006, I think we would have seen the shift that should have occurred after 2005. Now the entire focus is just on when the Cubs will do it, and it's like the Sox never did.

spiffie
05-14-2008, 12:03 PM
I have no issue with that. I just think what a company agrees with in certain non-sports-related areas is more important significantly than what they agree with re: baseball.
Agreed. Without getting into PI-board sort of topics, I choose my consumption on many things. But all things being equal, such as when I was debating where to buy home furnishings, I was happy to pass up on Smithe because of their unending love of all things Cubbie. Still got a fine living room set, and didn't put a dime in the pockets of people who will be sending it to 1060 W. Addison through sponsorship money.

PatK
05-14-2008, 12:14 PM
I have stayed away from the Tribune for quite some time, but the recent articles in the Sun-Times have made me stay away from their paper/website as well.

The Windsock's recent columns (and to some extent, Slezak's) have been so bad and so filled with personal dislike and disdain that I read them and honestly have to myself "How do these people even have jobs?".

I stay away from companies that are "proud sponsors" of the Cubs (which has been hard to do since I love Trader Joes), with the exception being SW Airlines.

All I know is that despite our recent woes as Sox fans, history tends to repeat itself. And he who laughs last laughs best.

Cuck the Fubs
05-14-2008, 12:21 PM
I canceled my Trib subscription in 06, and was sure to let them know it was due to their biased basball coverage.

After the recent blow up doll fiasco with the Times, I dropped them, along with an explanation why.

I'm sure niether of them care, but I find life a little nicer without reading anti Sox rants every morning.

I tune out sportsblab radio, even more so now.... B & B were talking about how they wanted to skip the regular season and get right to the playoffs to watch the Cubbies!

spiffie
05-14-2008, 12:22 PM
I stay away from companies that are "proud sponsors" of the Cubs (which has been hard to do since I love Trader Joes), with the exception being SW Airlines.
I tend to do the same. But the cheap fares on Southwest make me bend on that one.

Law11
05-14-2008, 12:25 PM

Add Bubba Burgers to that list. I had been buying them until I saw proud sponsor of the Cubs on the box..

PatK
05-14-2008, 01:03 PM
I tend to do the same. But the cheap fares on Southwest make me bend on that one.

Same here, but they also tend to have the best flights for where I fly on business, and Midway is so much easier for me than O'Hare.

Bubba Burgers, I stopped eating those once I saw them have billboards with the Cubs logo. Didn't know they were on the boxes.

They're over-priced anyways.

WhiffleBall
05-14-2008, 01:10 PM
It is all about numbers. The Cubs fanbase is large enough that the local media does not have to worry about dissing or even ignoring the Sox. I would even go so far as to say it helps them sell papers to cubs fans by having columnists bad mouth the Sox.

Payback begins with a consistently good team (i.e. fairly regular playoff appearances), a reasonable packed stadium, and the revenue that a good team & solid fan base brings in from both the fans and advertisers. The revenue ideally then allows mgmt to continue to field good teams.

Sometimes the media does get it right like Downey's column the other day but this is my favorite:

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2005/10/jay_mariottis_y.html

soxpride724
05-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Same here, but they also tend to have the best flights for where I fly on business, and Midway is so much easier for me than O'Hare.

Bubba Burgers, I stopped eating those once I saw them have billboards with the Cubs logo. Didn't know they were on the boxes.

They're over-priced anyways.

Yeah I like Bubba Burgers but I found that the burgers from Omaha steaks are just as good. If you are looking for a replacement.

Frater Perdurabo
05-14-2008, 01:35 PM
That is all easier said than done, and I would not hold my breath waiting for such a tactic to become effective.

It's death by a million paper cuts. It's not that hard to do. Everybody has to buy stuff. Just change your buying habits and let the clerk/salesperson/etc. know why you chose that particular business. If you are motivated enough and care enough to write a rant like that, then you ought to be sufficiently motivated to make changes in your own consumption habits, and talk to your friends and family about your changes when the issue aries.

WSI got Pods elected to the All Star game in 2005. That shows the power of a few motivated Sox fans.

kittle42
05-14-2008, 01:38 PM
I tune out sportsblab radio, even more so now.... B & B were talking about how they wanted to skip the regular season and get right to the playoffs to watch the Cubbies!

Actually, me, too...because then we'd only have to deal with 3 more Cub games this season.

JB98
05-14-2008, 04:12 PM
The people who run the Sun-Times deserve every single ounce of hate that comes their way.

Take it from one who knows.....

JB98
05-14-2008, 04:31 PM

One other main point I want to make in this thread: "The just don't look" theory is going to be especially effective this year.

The "100 years" thing surrounding the Cubs is a big deal for the media. The Cubbie love is not going to go away all summer, even if the Cubs fall out of first place and start to struggle. We live in a media age where storylines get blown out of proportion. The Sun-Times is the biggest offender I've ever seen in that regard.

I think most people here know that I'm the assistant sports editor at a suburban daily. My newspaper is owned (sadly) by the Sun-Times. I wish each and every day they would sell us. I fear we are going down with the ship. But I digress.

I assure you guys there isn't any backroom meeting anywhere where executives are plotting to kick the White Sox while they're down. It's a little more subtle than that. All these media people are just rooting for the story. They want their cute little Cubbie championship, and they want it THIS YEAR, on the 100-year anniversary of 1908. If by some reason it happens, they'll sell millions of newspapers. Because of that 100-year thing, the Sox are just kinda "in the way," from a lot of people's perspective.

It's going to be a tough year to be a Sox fan in Chicago. There's not much question about that.

Domeshot17
05-14-2008, 04:40 PM
The just dont look thing has been very effective. The Sun Times didnt just go down over night. But as long as people keep reading just to bitch about it, nothing will change.

The Sun Times knows it can fill its sports with cubby love and sox hate, and Cubs fans will read and Sox fans will read and bitch. And the more we bitch the more petty we sound.

This is Chicago, the cubs are the golden child. We are the kid who can't do anything right. The news papers are the evil stop mom, the cubs are the evil step sisters, and we are cinderella.

We have a world series title, they don't. They are winning right now, we aren't. At the end of the day, it is still better being a Sox Fan.

The best thing we can do right now is stop playing like total **** and try winning a game or 2.

SoxGirl4Life
05-14-2008, 04:56 PM
The just dont look thing has been very effective. The Sun Times didnt just go down over night. But as long as people keep reading just to bitch about it, nothing will change.

The Sun Times knows it can fill its sports with cubby love and sox hate, and Cubs fans will read and Sox fans will read and bitch. And the more we bitch the more petty we sound.

This is Chicago, the cubs are the golden child. We are the kid who can't do anything right. The news papers are the evil stop mom, the cubs are the evil step sisters, and we are cinderella.

We have a world series title, they don't. They are winning right now, we aren't. At the end of the day, it is still better being a Sox Fan.

The best thing we can do right now is stop playing like total **** and try winning a game or 2.

Amen!

cards press box
05-14-2008, 05:01 PM

It sure has. Many Cub fans have admitted that the White Sox' world championship in 2005 ticked them off in ways they didn't anticipate. It is obvious that the pro-Cub element of the media can't stomach the thought of 2005, much less the suceess of the outspoken duo of Ozzie Guillen and Kenny Williams.

To be fair, if the show had been on the other foot, I don't think I would have liked it either if the Cubs won the World Series before the Sox. However, unlike Cub fans who repeatedly preached that the Sox were just another team (no different than say the Orioles or the Padres), I always admitted that the cultural and socio-economic differences between Sox and Cub fans are quite real and the Sox-Cubs rivalry mattered.

LoveYourSuit
05-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Wow, how many more "bitching about the media coverage" threads are we going to put together?

It's a foot race between this crap, fire Walker, and dump Uribe for most topics started the last two years plus around all message boards.

Guys let's get over this grade school crap.

The best cure for lack of / negative coverage is to win some damn baseball games and perhaps at one point get out of the cellar from being the worst hitting team in the league.

I'm ready to start printing t-shirts:

"Quit the bitching, Hit the damn ball and win a damn game."

TDog
05-14-2008, 05:11 PM
I don't think Chicago media has an agenda. When I was a kid, the media was just as hard on the Cubs to a fashion as they were the White Sox. There was more attention paid to the Cubs when they were winning and more attention paid to the Sox when they were winning, but the media was hard on everyone because reporters and editors (who may have been jealous that they didn't have the skills or opportunity to play major league baseball) were critical of both teams.

Somewhere along the line, probably 1984 when the Cubs won their "first championship of any kind" in 39 years and appeared poised to compete for their first World Series championship in 76 years, the Cubs became a "cute" story. The Tribune had a role, but it was the Sun Times that had that wrap-around cover with a Cub shedding a tear the day before I got to go to my first World Series game in San Diego.

It isn't that the media wants to run the Sox out of town. It's that the media has lost its perspective when it comes to the Cubs. And it doesn't matter, because in the world of journalism, sports reporting is not held to the same standard as news reporting. It isn't as if baseball is considered important.

white sox bill
05-14-2008, 05:35 PM
You know the Chicago media can throw ALL the cub propaganda it wants on this gambling table. How cute and cuddly they are. How they give everyone that warm and fuzzy feeling. How they are Gods team or Americas team. How wonderfull Wrigley is. How great their fan base is. That the cubs colors are Red,White and Blue so they are patriotic. How everybody loves the cubs. The cubs are cool. Yes they are the "full house" if baseball were a casino

As Sox fans, we just smile cleverly and throw down on the table our trump card. The World Series trophy. Game over.

soxtalker
05-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Well, I have a dissenting opinion. Except for Mariotti, I think that the media are for the most part OK -- I just don't see much bias. And the columnists who follow the Sox seem to care about them.

What really bothers me about the media is that they don't pay enough attention to the Sox. Radio is particularly bad. Tune into WGN, and you almost don't know that the Sox exist. Tune into WSCR, and they give the Cubs plenty of attention (not to mention the Bears). It's a bit frustrating when there are times when 2 or 3 stations are talking baseball, but it's all Cubs.

Frater Perdurabo
05-14-2008, 06:51 PM
I assure you guys there isn't any backroom meeting anywhere where executives are plotting to kick the White Sox while they're down. It's a little more subtle than that. All these media people are just rooting for the story. They want their cute little Cubbie championship, and they want it THIS YEAR, on the 100-year anniversary of 1908. If by some reason it happens, they'll sell millions of newspapers. Because of that 100-year thing, the Sox are just kinda "in the way," from a lot of people's perspective.

JB, thanks for your insight and thanks also for doing great work as a journalist.

Are you aware of any subtle hints being directed your way, or your boss' way, that your paper should feature more Cub stories? And how much discretion do you personally have over which stories, photos, etc. get more prominent coverage/placement?

JUribe1989
05-14-2008, 07:05 PM
There were expectations that this team wouldn't have the worst average in the league again. The pitching has been a phenomenal surprise with Danks (2.82 ERA) and Floyd (3.32 ERA) yet we're under .500

This team deserves every bit of the beating its receiving. You're paranoid if you think this is a smear campaign.

getonbckthr
05-14-2008, 07:05 PM
We are looked down upon in our own city. We are looked down upon in our own state. We are looked down upon in this country. The White SOx organization, players, employees and fans will always be looked down upon. People don't Reinsdorf because of the strike and contract he gave Belle. They don't like Jerry because of Jordan and Pippen and their inaccurate accounts of their final years here. Ozzie is disliked because he doesn't act PG and shares what he feels. Whether its his political opinions, rebuttal to a former player (Ordonez), the sexual orientation of a certain so called journalist, the view of the SOx both locally and nationally or anything else he says no matter if he is right or not. Kenny Williams is thought of as an arrogant, pompous GM looking to screwover every other team and challenge former players to fights (sketchy opinion if you ask me). As fans we are percieved as the scum of Chicago. The poor low-lives. The fact remains most of these misconceptions are inaccurate and grossly wrong. However everyone wants to look down upon us. Everyone wants to treat us like were the bad seeds. **** it. I say if Kenny, OZzie and Jerry wanna stick it to baseball itself and the baseball world that looks down upon us, combined with the offesnive struggles of this team most notably Jum Thome I say we sign Barry Bonds to be our DH. All everyone wants to do is attack us. Let them attack us about that. Meanwhile Barry will come in, produce and re-ignite this team. As far as personnel I don't what to do from there. Trade Thome I guess.

WSox597
05-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Actually, me, too...because then we'd only have to deal with 3 more Cub games this season.

Now that's a great line. I'll have to borrow that one at work where I'm surrounded by those blue clown suits.

"2005 was so long ago."

What can you say in the face of such overwhelming stupidity?

Viva Medias B's
05-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Well, I have a dissenting opinion. Except for Mariotti, I think that the media are for the most part OK -- I just don't see much bias. And the columnists who follow the Sox seem to care about them.

What really bothers me about the media is that they don't pay enough attention to the Sox. Radio is particularly bad. Tune into WGN, and you almost don't know that the Sox exist. Tune into WSCR, and they give the Cubs plenty of attention (not to mention the Bears). It's a bit frustrating when there are times when 2 or 3 stations are talking baseball, but it's all Cubs.

And when we actually are talked about on the radio, it is usually after something like an Ozzie rant or the blow up dolls.

JB98
05-15-2008, 01:08 AM
JB, thanks for your insight and thanks also for doing great work as a journalist.

Are you aware of any subtle hints being directed your way, or your boss' way, that your paper should feature more Cub stories? And how much discretion do you personally have over which stories, photos, etc. get more prominent coverage/placement?

There has been nothing directed my way about the need to feature more Cubs stories. Of course, we are a suburban paper and not a city paper. At this point in the year, we're just as likely to have high school baseball, softball and track on the front page as we are the Sox or Cubs. Our staff focuses mostly on preps, and we get the Chicago coverage from the Sun-Times beat reporters.

How much discretion do I have personally? A lot, actually. I run the night sports desk five nights a week. Sometimes, our sports editor will have a budget prepared when I arrive for my shift. But most of the time, I'm the one entrusted to make the calls on story placement. I try to keep tabs on how the two baseball teams are treated. I try to keep it as equal as possible, and I try to account for my own bias in favor of the White Sox.

One other point about story placement: When the Sox are on the West Coast, their chances of making the front page of our paper is basically zero. Our deadline is midnight, but all color pages (i.e. the front page) have to be to press by 11:45. This week, I can't be certain I'll get a Sox final before that 11:45 mark, so I have no choice but to dump them on Page 3 or Page 4. This week, the Cubs might end up on the front three or four times, while the Sox get nothing.

Naturally, the reverse will be true when the Cubs head West, but a lot of times readers do not understand that placement of some stories is deadline driven. Last night, the Sox game ended at 11:53. I put the 2-0 loss in the paper just under the wire at 11:57. That's how it works sometimes.

Lip Man 1
05-15-2008, 10:58 AM
I could do a full length feature story based on this thread title (and I just may do that for PHG) but basically their are a number of reasons the Sox are where they are at regarding media coverage. Some of them were because of things outside their control, some were the results of their own short sighted decisions.

In a nutshell, here are the reasons in no particular order or timetable:

1. As Rich Lindberg said in his WSI interview, many of the "local" media aren't from Chicago. Many in fact grew up watching the Cubs on Superstation WGN and when they do arrive in Chicago, fall right into the mentally of seeing all things good on the North Side.

2. Making some serious mistakes in television coverage. Leaving WGN before 1968 and SportsVision in 1982 which took a majority of their games off "free TV," losing a generation of fans who watched the Cubs because they were on "free TV."

3. Right or wrong, media (and public) interpretation over events such as threatening to move to Tampa, the White Flag Trade and the 1994 labor impasse.

4. Bad luck (or typical White Sox luck if you will...) The Sox have a terrific season in 1983...the Cubs make the post season for the first time since 1945, in 1984 WITH their games being on the Superstation. Before that, the Cubs were closing the upper deck because of lack of fans...afterwards they couldn't get more fans in with a shoehorn.

5. The Tribune Company buying the Cubs in 1981. As my next WSI interview subject said, "never underestimate the marketing power of the Tribune Company."

6. The White Sox almost continuous "indifference" to the fact that, like it or not, they ARE in direct competition with the Cubs for the hearts and minds of Chicago sports fans and the areas fans. Yet all we ever hear or read are statements along the lines of (paraphrasing) "we don't care what they do." In my opinion you damn well BETTER care what they do because they are taking your potential customers. Perhaps the Sox feel that realistically they can't compete, with the Tribune Company so they attempt to take the "high road" with statements like these. If so that is a real shame on their part.

7. Harry Caray. As Noel Gimble said in his documentary on Harry from two years ago, the Sox actually offered Harry more money then he got from the Cubs in 1982 to stay on, but with SportsVision, Harry wanted no part of it. He left at, as Steve Stone said, just a few days ago, the perfect time as "the perfect storm" was brewing to put the Cubs in position to take over the city and dominate media coverage.

Finally let's not forget there are Sox fans in the media...Richard Roeper, John Kass, Bob Vanderberg, Rich Lindberg, Ed Sherman and Paul Sullivan that I personally know of but like it or not, the Cubs can win or lose and still get the majority of media coverage right now and they have since the mid 80's.

But let's also not forget it wasn't always this way...the Cubs couldn't get arrested in this town from 1951 through the mid 1960's. These things change, although, it is hard for me to see a scenario in the near future where things will swing back the Sox way. The Sox had a golden chance after the 2005 season but they couldn't keep it going because they couldn't return to the post season.

Lip

rwcescato
05-15-2008, 12:11 PM

I guess sick of hearing about 2005 as a fluke to. Who cares if its a fluke. We have won a championship this century and with an 11-1 post season record. Even if the scrubs win one they cant do better than 4-0 in the World series. I would love for the Sox and scrubs to meet each other in the World Series so we can kick their behinds.

rwcescato
05-15-2008, 12:14 PM
I could do a full length feature story based on this thread title (and I just may do that for PHG) but basically their are a number of reasons the Sox are where they are at regarding media coverage. Some of them were because of things outside their control, some were the results of their own short sighted decisions.

In a nutshell, here are the reasons in no particular order or timetable:

1. As Rich Lindberg said in his WSI interview, many of the "local" media aren't from Chicago. Many in fact grew up watching the Cubs on Superstation WGN and when they do arrive in Chicago, fall right into the mentally of seeing all things good on the North Side.

2. Making some serious mistakes in television coverage. Leaving WGN before 1968 and SportsVision in 1982 which took a majority of their games off "free TV," losing a generation of fans who watched the Cubs because they were on "free TV."

3. Right or wrong, media (and public) interpretation over events such as threatening to move to Tampa, the White Flag Trade and the 1994 labor impasse.

4. Bad luck (or typical White Sox luck if you will...) The Sox have a terrific season in 1983...the Cubs make the post season for the first time since 1945, in 1984 WITH their games being on the Superstation. Before that, the Cubs were closing the upper deck because of lack of fans...afterwards they couldn't get more fans in with a shoehorn.

5. The Tribune Company buying the Cubs in 1981. As my next WSI interview subject said, "never underestimate the marketing power of the Tribune Company."

6. The White Sox almost continuous "indifference" to the fact that, like it or not, they ARE in direct competition with the Cubs for the hearts and minds of Chicago sports fans and the areas fans. Yet all we ever hear or read are statements along the lines of (paraphrasing) "we don't care what they do." In my opinion you damn well BETTER care what they do because they are taking your potential customers. Perhaps the Sox feel that realistically they can't compete, with the Tribune Company so they attempt to take the "high road" with statements like these. If so that is a real shame on their part.

7. Harry Caray. As Noel Gimble said in his documentary on Harry from two years ago, the Sox actually offered Harry more money then he got from the Cubs in 1982 to stay on, but with SportsVision, Harry wanted no part of it. He left at, as Steve Stone said, just a few days ago, the perfect time as "the perfect storm" was brewing to put the Cubs in position to take over the city and dominate media coverage.

Finally let's not forget there are Sox fans in the media...Richard Roeper, John Kass, Bob Vanderberg, Rich Lindberg, Ed Sherman and Paul Sullivan that I personally know of but like it or not, the Cubs can win or lose and still get the majority of media coverage right now and they have since the mid 80's.

But let's also not forget it wasn't always this way...the Cubs couldn't get arrested in this town from 1951 through the mid 1960's. These things change, although, it is hard for me to see a scenario in the near future where things will swing back the Sox way. The Sox had a golden chance after the 2005 season but they couldn't keep it going because they couldn't return to the post season.

Lip

Its to bad Lip because they won 90 games in '06. In any other season 90 wins usually merits a wild card if not a division. You ask the media and they act like we lost 90 games that year.

kittle42
05-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Its to bad Lip because they won 90 games in '06. In any other season 90 wins usually merits a wild card if not a division. You ask the media and they act like we lost 90 games that year.

"If you ain't first, you're last!"

Frater Perdurabo
05-15-2008, 12:23 PM
There has been nothing directed my way about the need to feature more Cubs stories. Of course, we are a suburban paper and not a city paper. At this point in the year, we're just as likely to have high school baseball, softball and track on the front page as we are the Sox or Cubs. Our staff focuses mostly on preps, and we get the Chicago coverage from the Sun-Times beat reporters.

How much discretion do I have personally? A lot, actually. I run the night sports desk five nights a week. Sometimes, our sports editor will have a budget prepared when I arrive for my shift. But most of the time, I'm the one entrusted to make the calls on story placement. I try to keep tabs on how the two baseball teams are treated. I try to keep it as equal as possible, and I try to account for my own bias in favor of the White Sox.

One other point about story placement: When the Sox are on the West Coast, their chances of making the front page of our paper is basically zero. Our deadline is midnight, but all color pages (i.e. the front page) have to be to press by 11:45. This week, I can't be certain I'll get a Sox final before that 11:45 mark, so I have no choice but to dump them on Page 3 or Page 4. This week, the Cubs might end up on the front three or four times, while the Sox get nothing.

Naturally, the reverse will be true when the Cubs head West, but a lot of times readers do not understand that placement of some stories is deadline driven. Last night, the Sox game ended at 11:53. I put the 2-0 loss in the paper just under the wire at 11:57. That's how it works sometimes.

Thanks again for the description of what you do. I know about West Coast games and deadlines, too, but I'm glad you explained it for everyone. And again, thanks to you and Lip for all the great journalism you do!

tebman
05-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks, Lip and JB98, for your great insight into this. As Lip has explained before and summarized nicely here, a lot of these wounds the Sox carry were self-inflicted over the years by the front office. The Tribune lucked into a division winner in 1984 about the same time WGN-TV's superstation reach was growing -- a marketer's dream. Despite what George Knue insisted in the epic debates we had with him a couple of years ago, we all know that the Tribune Company always looked for marketing synergy: ball team, radio, TV, newspaper, and later cable & internet. The best the Sox could do during those years was threaten to move to Florida. Great marketing, eh?

As to the Sun-Times, it just makes me sad. Its descent into Cub-shilling is just another symptom of a once-proud newspaper gasping for air. JB98, I hope your paper survives the malnutrition that the Sun-Times is suffering. Hell, I hope the Sun-Times itself survives and maybe gets new management that can run it like a real news source again instead of the circus-poster thing it is now.

This is all about money, of course. The Cubs were marketed better since 1984 and right now there's more money to be made selling them as a tourist attraction and as a status-class symbol. The Tribune has raised this to an art form. The Sun-Times is going along for the ride because there's money falling out of people's pockets in that crowd around the Cubs. The radio and TV stations are staffed mostly by out-of-towners, like Lip said, and most of them are vapid bandwagoneers who'll move on to another city in a few years and latch on to whatever's a hot property in that market.

Meanwhile those of us who grew up with the Sox are left in a cloud of dust and with a chip on our shoulder. But hey, that makes us just like Ozzie! :cool:

TommyJohn
05-15-2008, 06:46 PM

Lip

I personally think that they are in a lose-lose situation with this. IF they
try to do something that is in direct competition with the Cubs, they get
blasted in the media as being "obsessed" with the Cubs. I point to the
"Us vs. Them" campaign of 2004. Brooks Boyer saw it as a simple way of
hyping the Crosstown Series. The media response as I recall was very
negative. You'd have thought that Boyer had encouraged Sox fans to
kidnap and eat Cub fan babies. So maybe the thinking is that it would
be worse to try to "compete" directly with the Cubs, or at least come
right out and say it.

Lip Man 1
05-15-2008, 07:47 PM
TJ:

Well for what it's worth, in Brooks interview with WSI, he specifically said that he and he thought Sox fans, didn't care what the media says about the team.

If you haven't already check his comments out. The interview is on the main page.

Lip

bryPt
05-15-2008, 08:15 PM
My cubicle neighbor listens to WGN religiously, and she is the biggest Cub fan on earth. (She is also the nicest person on earth as well and love her dearly btw). I hear WGN creeping into my brain on occasion, and I can honestly say, they have absolutely no interest in the Chicago White Sox. As the flagship of the cub, why should they? On the other hand, the White Sox Flagship station is "fair and balanced" and is pretty much 50/50 cub to Sox. I for one hate that. I want to hear Sox coverage and want nothing to do with the cub. 2 hours a day on the Score is dedicated to cub ass kissing with Murphy, B & B and their "overly intelligent" style actually follow Murph's lead even though they hate the guy, North goes out of his way to not be Sox Bias, and their are plenty of guys that are pro cub on that station during the evening and weekends. I have turned it off recently because in this 100th year of losing, I would rather sit my ass on a belt sander than listen to cub propaganda. I do not read the papers anymore, and do not watch any news station, so I have pretty much eliminated any cubDUMB, and I am much happier I gotta tell ya.

It is going to be a long year, especially if the cub keep playing the way they are. I have all the confidence in the world though that they will fold up like a origami animal by playoff time, so hang in there. 101 years of losing is definitely not as sexy as the big 100, so be patient, it will be over by the first week of October.

getonbckthr
05-15-2008, 09:38 PM
My cubicle neighbor listens to WGN religiously, and she is the biggest Cub fan on earth. (She is also the nicest person on earth as well and love her dearly btw). I hear WGN creeping into my brain on occasion, and I can honestly say, they have absolutely no interest in the Chicago White Sox. As the flagship of the cub, why should they? On the other hand, the White Sox Flagship station is "fair and balanced" and is pretty much 50/50 cub to Sox. I for one hate that. I want to hear Sox coverage and want nothing to do with the cub. 2 hours a day on the Score is dedicated to cub ass kissing with Murphy, B & B and their "overly intelligent" style actually follow Murph's lead even though they hate the guy, North goes out of his way to not be Sox Bias, and their are plenty of guys that are pro cub on that station during the evening and weekends. I have turned it off recently because in this 100th year of losing, I would rather sit my ass on a belt sander than listen to cub propaganda. I do not read the papers anymore, and do not watch any news station, so I have pretty much eliminated any cubDUMB, and I am much happier I gotta tell ya.

It is going to be a long year, especially if the cub keep playing the way they are. I have all the confidence in the world though that they will fold up like a origami animal by playoff time, so hang in there. 101 years of losing is definitely not as sexy as the big 100, so be patient, it will be over by the first week of October.
If the Score doesn't talk about the Cubs they risk pushing away 1/2 of their fanbase. They have loyal fans they have to cater to for ratings and advertising reasons. As far as individual personalities Mike Murphy gets bashed alot but if you ever listen to his show its pretty much 50/50 Cub/Sox talk. B&B will talk about whatever the caller wants to talk about. North is a none Sox fan and the face of the station. For those combined reasons he must at times go out of his way to force Cub conversation.

Bucky F. Dent
05-15-2008, 09:52 PM

Well said. Merkin does a fine job of reporting on the Sox. I read him every morning.