PDA

View Full Version : Should Paulie go on the DL to nurse his hand?

Frater Perdurabo
05-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Is Paulie's hand injury worse than even he thinks? Ever since getting jammed against the Orioles, Paulie has not homered. He's hit .195 in May after hitting .222 in April. He's a notoriously slow starter anyway. Would it make sense to put him on the 15-day DL to nurse his hand?

In the meantime, put Swisher at 1B. Some say playing CF every day has exhausted him. If so, perhaps playing 1B for 2 weeks would be a "rest." Crede, Quentin, AJ and Dye have hit best so far. Perhaps it's time to move them up and move down Thome.

With Paulie on the DL, I'd go with a lineup of: Quentin, Cabrera, Dye, AJ, Crede, Swisher, Thome, Anderson, Uribe

PorkChopExpress
05-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Hawk keeps talking about his hand. If it is truly hindering his game, then it is hindering the team, and yes, he should hit the DL. If he is simply sucking, then he should just hit the bench for a few.

And yes, Thome needs to be moved down in the order, or to the bench.

ondafarm
05-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Yeah he should go to the DL, and only come back when he can hit above the Mendoza line.

October26
05-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Yes, Paulie should go on the DL so Swisher can play first and BA can play center.

FedEx227
05-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Bring Thome with him too.

Frater Perdurabo
05-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Bring Thome with him too.

I don't know that the Players Association would be OK with that since he doesn't have an injury we know about right now.

An Amber Alert for his missing swing might be in order, though.

Tekijawa
05-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Thome's swing is fine. It's his ability to hit the ball that I'm worried about...

I don't know if Paulie needs to go on the DL or not but can they at least quit showing that Trot commercial until he cracks .230? I'd be up for a Walk, Paulie, Walk! Sign?

jenn2080
05-14-2008, 02:40 PM
He should go somewhere and he should take half of the team with him.

FedEx227
05-14-2008, 04:09 PM
I don't know that the Players Association would be OK with that since he doesn't have an injury we know about right now.

An Amber Alert for his missing swing might be in order, though.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/don_banks/08/31/preseason.shots/t1-smith.jpg
"General soreness"

RockJock07
05-14-2008, 04:12 PM
YES, put paulie on the DL. Then on a rehab assingment so he can at least feel bat on ball again. Thome just isn't seeing the ball at all, his swing is alright he just looks fooled and overmatched every time he gets up there.

Scottiehaswheels
05-14-2008, 04:15 PM
YES, put paulie on the DL. Then on a rehab assingment so he can at least feel bat on ball again. Thome just isn't seeing the ball at all, his swing is alright he just looks fooled and overmatched every time he gets up there.Quite honestly I think Thome is a pretty simple fix, if he were to take just one step back off the plate so he can get to all those inside pitches. Right now he can't hit them for the life of him. He either swings and misses horribly, or meekly turns over on them. I don't think he realizes that standing up in the box, right on the plate isn't terribly disconcerting to the opposing pitcher when you're only hitting .200.

JB98
05-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Only Konerko can say whether the hand injury is the reason for his poor performance. If it is, then yes, he should go on the DL.

Konerko05
05-14-2008, 04:52 PM
With Paulie on the DL, I'd go with a lineup of: Quentin, Cabrera, Dye, AJ, Crede, Swisher, Thome, Anderson, Uribe

If Konerko's hand is bothering him at all, I'm all for putting him in the DL for 15 games. Like others have mentioned it this thread, it will give Konerko time to heal, Swisher some time to rest at first base, and a chance to play BA in Center.

In regards to your lineup... do you really want to put our most productive player in the leadoff spot? Quentin is leading the team in OPS, put him in the 3 hole. Put Swisher back in the leadoff spot. I'd go with..

Swisher
Cabrera
Quentin
Dye
Thome
Crede
AJ
Anderson
Uribe.

Thigpen "57"
05-14-2008, 04:56 PM
I knew that trading Chris Carter would end up hurting us! :tongue:

Seriously though, Paulie must be hurting. I fully believe he can still come on strong as he usually does. I am not ready to give up on him this early. My only concern is that he has often seemed to be fooled on off-speed pitches, but this might be because he is "overcompensating" for his hand.

Since spring training, I have felt Anderson deserves to be in center more often. When he has played this year, it seems to me that there has been an extra spark out there on D. Wouldn't hurt to get Swish some "rest" by playing first as well. Could work out, if Paulie is indeed hurt.

As for Thome...:scratch:

Bob G
05-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Players often play hurt but if PK's hand is bothering him to the point where he can't help the team he needs to go on the DL. Like I said in a previous post I would like to see Brad Eldred called up - his numbers look good and we badly need some offense.

thomas35forever
05-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Players often play hurt but if PK's hand is bothering him to the point where he can't help the team he needs to go on the DL.
Agreed. Your team's not going to win many ballgames if your cleanup hitter is struggling this bad. A trip to the DL is a must if he's not doing well and the rest of the team is also slumping except for Quentin. Does anyone know if the hand's been X-rayed or something?

hi im skot
05-14-2008, 05:45 PM
I dunno. It's not my hand.

If it's hurting, go to the DL.

whitesox901
05-14-2008, 08:45 PM
I think it would be good to put Paul on the DL, let him rest that hand, and if he's out, maybe it will get his fire going to wanna go out there and get some hits when he returns.

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Only Konerko can say whether the hand injury is the reason for his poor performance. If it is, then yes, he should go on the DL.
Paulie showed last season that he's pretty much done and he's always been quite a bit overrated in my book and certainly overpaid...
YES...Put him on the DL and get some new blood in there! Like Josh Fields.

Daver
05-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Paulie showed last season that he's pretty much done and he's always been quite a bit overrated in my book and certainly overpaid...
YES...Put him on the DL and get some new blood in there! Like Josh Fields.

The same Josh Fields that is on the DL or the pitcher?

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 03:52 PM
The same Josh Fields that is on the DL or the pitcher?
I didn't realize he was hurt...
ANYBODY but Konerko!

kittle42
05-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Ugh, these threads...

Anbody but Konerko
Anbody but Thome
Anybody but Uribe
Anybody but Cabrera
Anybody but Swisher

Has anyone noticed our minor league talent blows?

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Ugh, these threads...

Anbody but Konerko
Anbody but Thome
Anybody but Uribe
Anybody but Cabrera
Anybody but Swisher

Has anyone noticed our minor league talent blows?Yep..them too...But I'm still holding out hope that Thome will come around and realize he has no trade value so we're stuck with him.

voodoochile
05-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Yep..them too...But I'm still holding out hope that Thome will come around and realize he has no trade value so we're stuck with him.

What exactly does that mean?

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 04:13 PM
What exactly does that mean?Trade value is the value a player has in terms of a bringing back talent in a deal...
Thome has none.
We're stuck with him because he's making too much cash to sit down all the time.
Did that help?

kittle42
05-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Trade value is the value a player has in terms of a bringing back talent in a deal...
Thome has none.
We're stuck with him because he's making too much cash to sit down all the time.
Did that help?

Do you really think no one would take Thome off our hands right now, or even moreso in July? C'mon now.

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Do you really think no one would take Thome off our hands right now, or even moreso in July? C'mon now.I'm sure some team would take Thome off our hands, but I don't think we'd get anything in return...
KW won't let Thome go for nothing so we're stuck with him, is more my point...
I also am confident that Thome will come around as he was one of the few good hitters --as was Josh Fields--on that dreadful team last year.

voodoochile
05-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Trade value is the value a player has in terms of a bringing back talent in a deal...
Thome has none.
Did that help?

Well the English was better, so it was easier to understand. Not sure I agree with all of it though, but I'm sure that won't phase you since you're the only person on these forums who really understands baseball...

spawn
05-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Well the English was better, so it was easier to understand. Not sure I agree with all of it though, but I'm sure that won't phase you since you're the only person on these forums who really understands baseball...
Fixed that for ya! :thumbsup:

I know it was probably implied, but I couldn't help myself.:redneck

Bob G
05-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Ugh, these threads...

Anbody but Konerko
Anbody but Thome
Anybody but Uribe
Anybody but Cabrera
Anybody but Swisher

Like I said before - if PK goes on the DL why not call up Eldred??? He's hitting 301 with an OPS of 1.026 and 37 RBI's. He might be able to help us.

JB98
05-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Like I said before - if PK goes on the DL why not call up Eldred??? He's hitting 301 with an OPS of 1.026 and 37 RBI's. He might be able to help us.

Eldred is a career .199 hitter in the big leagues. I think you are grasping at straws.

Lorenzo Barcelo
05-15-2008, 08:15 PM

The 43 k's in 137 abs would probably not transfer well to the bigs.

KyWhiSoxFan
05-15-2008, 09:52 PM
The 43 k's in 137 abs would probably not transfer well to the bigs.

He's fit right in with Konerko and Thome.

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Well the English was better, so it was easier to understand. Not sure I agree with all of it though, but I'm sure that won't phase you since you're the only person on these forums who really understands baseball...It sure does seem like it sometimes, huh?
I think Bradley and Lip are pretty darn good, though.

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 11:13 PM
The 43 k's in 137 abs would probably not transfer well to the bigs.His 67 RBI in 373 at bats in his ROOKIE SEASON probably could have been improved on, too, huh?

southsideirish71
05-15-2008, 11:17 PM
They were showing Konerko icing his hand between innings. I think for his own good they should put him on the DL. Let him rest, get that hand better, and then come back. Its hard enough to hit, its harder when your hand kills you when you get an inside pitch.

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 11:25 PM
They were showing Konerko icing his hand between innings. I think for his own good they should put him on the DL. Let him rest, get that hand better, and then come back. Its hard enough to hit, its harder when your hand kills you when you get an inside pitch.It's also hard on us.

RockJock07
05-16-2008, 12:28 AM
They were showing Konerko icing his hand between innings. I think for his own good they should put him on the DL. Let him rest, get that hand better, and then come back. Its hard enough to hit, its harder when your hand kills you when you get an inside pitch.

Yeah, but I wonder how much its actually hurting, that shot was right after he took one off the handle which just looked painful, I think he should probably take a rest on the DL but those painful ab's don't help things.

balke
05-16-2008, 09:36 AM
I didn't realize how bad he was hurt til last night. The Sox have Swisher and Dye, they can put Konerko on the DL and bring up whoever they think is best. That or they can just rest him a few games. It can't be good to rattle that bruise fighting off 90+mph fastballs and getting jammed.

minutia
05-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Bill Melton suggested last night on the post game to sit him down for this series with the Giants since they have the off day which would give him 4 days to rest. If after that it is still a problem then definately the DL. He said this type or injury is tough to heal and can really get a lot worse.

voodoochile
05-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Bill Melton suggested last night on the post game to sit him down for this series with the Giants since they have the off day which would give him 4 days to rest. If after that it is still a problem then definately the DL. He said this type or injury is tough to heal and can really get a lot worse.

Tough one. You lose both Thome and Konerko if that's the case, unless Thome can play first still. I realize these guys aren't hitting up to snuff recently, but still removing both of them from the lineup for 3 straight games doesn't feel like a recipe for success...

roadrunner
05-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Tough one. You lose both Thome and Konerko if that's the case, unless Thome can play first still. I realize these guys aren't hitting up to snuff recently, but still removing both of them from the lineup for 3 straight games doesn't feel like a recipe for success...

Actually, I think that removing BOTH of them for three straight games sounds pretty good. BA in center and Swish/Thome at first. Thome or Swish off the bench with improved outfield defense.

We need a healthy Konerko if we are going anywhere. Let him get healthy and then back to mashing as the weather heats up.

minutia
05-16-2008, 12:48 PM
He suggested putting Swisher at 1st and playing Anderson.

fquaye149
05-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Ugh, these threads...

Anbody but Konerko
Anbody but Thome
Anybody but Uribe
Anybody but Cabrera
Anybody but Swisher

Catch-22!

Dan Mega
05-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Ugh, these threads...

Anbody but Konerko
Anbody but Thome
Anybody but Uribe
Anybody but Cabrera
Anybody but Swisher

Does "Anbody" know what that word means?

cws05champ
05-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Actually, I think that removing BOTH of them for three straight games sounds pretty good. BA in center and Swish/Thome at first. Thome or Swish off the bench with improved outfield defense.

We need a healthy Konerko if we are going anywhere. Let him get healthy and then back to mashing as the weather heats up.
Agreed...In the spacious ATT park I think we need BA out there for at least 2 games. If Konerko goes down I think Owens should finally get the call up to see if he can infuse energy and verstility to the lineup. BA and Owens can play CF with Swish at 1B.

russ99
05-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Agreed...In the spacious ATT park I think we need BA out there for at least 2 games. If Konerko goes down I think Owens should finally get the call up to see if he can infuse energy and verstility to the lineup. BA and Owens can play CF with Swish at 1B.

Wouldn't hurt to save both Konerko and Thome for pinch hitting this series. Anderson can play CF most of the weekend and why not and also get Alexei a few at-bats? He can also handle CF and some speed could come in handy for NL-style ball without having to call up anyone...

voodoochile
05-16-2008, 01:07 PM
He suggested putting Swisher at 1st and playing Anderson.

It's just a huge hit to take to the team's supposed power levels.

Might be better served waiting until a NL team comes to Chicago then they would only lose one of them and against a team that doesn't have a comparable bat to put in as DH.

Gammons Peter
05-16-2008, 01:23 PM
It's just a huge hit to take to the team's supposed power levels.

Might be better served waiting until a NL team comes to Chicago then they would only lose one of them and against a team that doesn't have a comparable bat to put in as DH.

how is it a huge hit? Paulie has no power right now

DeadMoney
05-16-2008, 01:26 PM
I don't know what's been said in this thread, but here are my thoughts:

- Sit him this entire weekend to rest the hand.
- Use Swisher and possibly Thome (once) at first.
- If Paulie's hand still is in bad shape at the start of next week, DL him retroactive to today.

IMO, there is NO reason to keep running him out there this weekend when you have the opportunity to give him a few days off to rest up.

October26
05-16-2008, 01:30 PM
I didn't realize how bad he was hurt til last night. The Sox have Swisher and Dye, they can put Konerko on the DL and bring up whoever they think is best. That or they can just rest him a few games. It can't be good to rattle that bruise fighting off 90+mph fastballs and getting jammed.

I didn't either. When I saw Paulie on tv grimacing in the dugout yesterday with ice on his hand, I thought like you did that Paulie should go on the DL. It seems like this is going to be a nagging injury and if he doesn't heal now, it will just linger all summer. The thing is that our schedule is so tough in May (we have few home games), that I'm wondering if they are trying to stall him going on the DL until the Sox get to a favorable home schedule in June.

Paulie would have to go the 15 day DL in order to bring up somebody from the minor leagues, right? So if he leaves today, he cannot come off the DL until the end of May. If, instead he just sits out the SF series, then we play with only 23 players available because Thome's out too. That's not good either. Plus, who do we have in the minor leagues that is doing so great that we need to bring up immediately?

BadBobbyJenks
05-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Are there any links/quotes about this Konerko injury?

Thigpen "57"
05-16-2008, 01:38 PM
... then we play with only 23 players available because Thome's out too.

Huh?? When did Thome get injured too. Thome would be on the bench because he is DH, and maybe will play 1st base. If Paulie doesn't play at all over the SF series, then that leaves us with 24 players. Right??

October26
05-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Huh?? When did Thome get injured too. Thome would be on the bench because he is DH, and maybe will play 1st base. If Paulie doesn't play at all over the SF series, then that leaves us with 24 players. Right??

Well, okay technically it is 24 players, but do you really think Ozzie would play Thome at first and risk an injury to him too? I'm not saying I'm against Thome playing 1B (he did before) but seems a bit of a risk.

voodoochile
05-16-2008, 01:45 PM
how is it a huge hit? Paulie has no power right now

Good point, but he has been driving the ball well to RF recently.

It's just a tough spot to be in playing in a NL park where you expect to lose Thome for 3 days already.

jabrch
05-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Thome will likely get into all three games as a PH. He should have a good scoting report on Brian Wilson and Tyler Walker.

peeonwrigley
05-16-2008, 01:52 PM
I'd tape him up and trot him out there today and tomorrow if he is willing, sit him Sunday (for Swish) and then when they arrive back in Chicago take a couple days and re-evaluate whether he needs to go on the DL.

Just because the Giants suck doesn't mean the Sox should take anything for granted.

I'm assuming Thome is unable to perform at 1B in my suggestion, FWIW.

Thigpen "57"
05-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Well, okay technically it is 24 players, but do you really think Ozzie would play Thome at first and risk an injury to him too? I'm not saying I'm against Thome playing 1B (he did before) but seems a bit of a risk.

Honestly I could see Ozzie doing it, bu t I hope he doesn't! Point is, Thome is available to pinch hit even if he doesn't start. So even if Paulie were to sit the whole series, that would still be 24 players. :smile: