PDA

View Full Version : Garage Sale and Family Field Day

LuzinskiRoofShot
05-13-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm thinking of going to the White Sox Charities Garage Sale and Family Field day on the 17th. Did anyone attend last year? If so was it worth it?

34 Inch Stick
05-14-2008, 01:36 PM
I've attended the garage sale several times. Generally they sell stuff that you normally would not want at outrageous prices...but if you are in the market for a broken Chris Singleton bat for $35 this is the place for you.

hi im skot
05-14-2008, 01:38 PM
I need a game-used Carl Everett jersey.

Just because.

russ99
05-14-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm hoping to score some Scotty Pods gear. Hopefully a bit less espensive now that he's with the Rockies.

It starts at 9am, correct??

ChiSoxGirl
05-14-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm hoping to score some Scotty Pods gear. Hopefully a bit less espensive now that he's with the Rockies.

It starts at 9am, correct??

His player tee was $10 at Grinder Bash, and I think his replica jerseys were $30....

LongLiveFisk
05-14-2008, 10:19 PM
His player tee was $10 at Grinder Bash

It's $9 at Grandstand. :D:

russ99
05-15-2008, 11:11 AM
His player tee was $10 at Grinder Bash, and I think his replica jerseys were $30....

I was hoping more for a bat or something game-used at the garage sale.

BeefyD
05-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Bats were quite pricey, if I recall... I picked up a Uribe cracked bat for $50, but AJ's was $350, Thomas and Thome were $500 and Konerko was $400. I was astounded at the prices for cracked bats. Ebay has game-used bats all the time, and don't go for that much.

The pants and caps were reasonably priced, most jerseys were overpriced (compared to after-market prices seen at sports auctions and ebay). They usually have media guides, advertisements, t-shirts, etc. for really cheap, though. Last year, they had locker room chairs, bricks, old artwork from the diamond suites, etc. for good prices. The one thing I really wanted, but didn't get, was the old pictures from the ramps. They were a foam-core like material, with pictures from the WS, and were only $50. They were HUGE!!! I had to way to get one home, so I had to pass.

hi im skot
05-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Do you need a ticket for the garage sale portion? I don't really need to do the field portion...

Stoky44
05-15-2008, 02:00 PM
How much is it to get in? Do you need to get tickets before you go?

salty99
05-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Do you need a ticket for the garage sale portion? I don't really need to do the field portion...

Garage sale is free admission.

hi im skot
05-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Garage sale is free admission.

Awesome...thanks salty!

BainesHOF
05-15-2008, 03:18 PM
I was hoping more for a bat or something game-used at the garage sale.

While a lot of game-used stuff is overpriced, my guess is you should be able to find a Pods bat for $100-$150, if not a little cheaper.

MeteorsSox4367
05-15-2008, 03:21 PM
While some of the stuff is way overpriced, you can get some cool things for a reasonable price. Last year, I picked up a picture of Old Comiskey that was taken on the roof behind the plate for $20.

Great picture made even better by the fact that it was Old Comiskey during a Sox game.

PatK
05-15-2008, 03:50 PM
While some of the stuff is way overpriced, you can get some cool things for a reasonable price. Last year, I picked up a picture of Old Comiskey that was taken on the roof behind the plate for $20.

Great picture made even better by the fact that it was Old Comiskey during a Sox game.

What? No love for the Sting?

MeteorsSox4367
05-15-2008, 05:02 PM
What? No love for the Sting?

Pat: Loved the Sting (honestly). I used to go to probably five or six Sting games a season, usually at Comiskey, although we did go to Wrigley a couple of times.

Even now when I drive past the parking lot where Comiskey once stood, I think about Franz Mathieu's goal in the shootout against San Diego and Volkmar Gross to send the Sting on to the 1981 Soccer Bowl where they beat the Cosmos in Toronto at Exhibition Stadium. IIRC, the goal in which Mathieu put his game-winning shot was located on the right-field line as the soccer pitch ran from left-center to the right-field line.

When I was a kid, my three favorite Chicago teams were the Sox, Hawks and Sting.

BeefyD
05-15-2008, 10:56 PM
While a lot of game-used stuff is overpriced, my guess is you should be able to find a Pods bat for $100-$150, if not a little cheaper.

Did you ever finish your collection?? If I recall, you were looking for a Blum Sox bat and someone else....

BainesHOF
05-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Did you ever finish your collection?? If I recall, you were looking for a Blum Sox bat and someone else....

Just looking for a Blum Sox bat. If anyone out there has one, I'll overpay in cash or trade.

russ99
05-16-2008, 01:03 PM

That's what I was thinking.

he_gone_89
05-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Man, I haven't been on this site in a long time. Anyway, the yard sale is sooo cool, I love going to this event. My pops and I have been going for 3 years now. We're getting there super early in line so we can go in first. Don't take it personally if I gut-punch you because you have Charlie Haeger's road or 3rd jersey in your hand :D: J/k. I just want it to round out my collection:cool:.

soxfan21
05-17-2008, 01:02 AM
I'll probably be there pretty early in the morning as well, just to see if there is anything good there and because of my softball game in the afternoon.

BainesHOF
05-17-2008, 02:03 PM
It was a true Garage Sale. There was a lot of junk. Basically it was Soxfest leftovers. There was absolutely nothing from 2008.

MeteorsSox4367
05-17-2008, 02:58 PM
I got there a little before 11 and I was surprised at the lack of a crowd. In years past, I've had to wait in line. Today, I walked right in. I did find one of the cool Old Comiskey Park photo collages that were in the suites for $25. They also had media guides from last season for a buck apiece.

Some of the other stuff was cool, but I'm not going to spend $500 for a game-used Konerko bat. They also had some prints from last season with players like Buehrle and Garland and some "Back to the Grind" posters. I liked the Buehrle one, but not enough to spend $40 on it.

They also had some B&W panoramic photos of Old Comiskey circa 1910, but they were too damn long and bulky to carry out.

If you've been at a Yard Sale in the past, you really didn't miss much today if you didn't attend.

BeefyD
05-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah, was most of the same from last year, minus a bunch. Got there early because I had to leave early....of course, the dealers were up in front, who pick off 6-10 jerseys of name players... not a big deal to me, as I'm not going to spend $400-600 for a name player.

Not a large selection of different players' cracked bats. I didn't see a Thome at all (I could be wrong). $200 for Pierzynski wasn't terrible, if they weren't so badly cracked. I did pick up an Ozuna bat for $50, which is internally cracked, but no visible crack. Widger's bat was $25. Dye was $300 (or 350). Not a lot of used hats either.

Plenty of publications, media guides, etc. I also picked up a World Series press pin, since they've gone down to $10. (Were $30 last year).

The old framed photos were quite cool, all for $25 ea. (Some would cost $100 just to frame).

I didn't go to Soxfest, so I don't know what they had, but as BainesHOF said, nothing from this year at all.

BainesHOF
05-17-2008, 03:45 PM
They also had some B&W panoramic photos of Old Comiskey circa 1910, but they were too damn long and bulky to carry out.

Yeah, that was the only thing I bought. It was a steal for $25. They had a lot, but they were selling quickly.

Vernam
05-17-2008, 04:20 PM
I was hoping more for a bat or something game-used at the garage sale.A golden thong, perhaps? :D:

Vernam

he_gone_89
05-17-2008, 08:05 PM
What about those Frank Thomas replicas for $25 bucks. That was cool. And I completed my Charlie Haeger Collection:bandance: (although they were about 100 bucks higher than I was expecting,but whatever) and I got a Kenny Perez (who?) bat for 10 bucks, it had one small crack on the side that I taped up and it swings like new. I love the yard sale, I wish they would have a 2nd one at the end of the year around X-mas time, that would be great.

Brian26
05-17-2008, 08:23 PM
I headed down early and arrived at 7am. There were approximately 20 guys in line ahead of me, and most of them were dealers.

Because I was so early, I had first dibs on pretty much anything I wanted. I was lucky enough to pick up two items I still needed for my 2005 collection (Carl Everett and Pods).

Some of the miscellaneous things I bought: Carlos May red pinstriped bobble, 2005 post-season media guide, $5 Buehrle WS05 jersey shirt, and the season ticket holder version of the trophy.

There were some really neat prints and banners that were amazingly cheap, but the problem would be finding a way to transport them home....and the other problem of course finding a place to display them (probably would be best suited for the garage).

I love the $1 and $2 media guides and programs, but I always stop when I can't carry anything else.

Didn't seem like there were as many people as in the past, but the checkout was a complete cluster.

As far as the game used bats, there seemed to be an inordinate amount of Toby Hall and Chris Widger merchandise. Surprisingly, there were still a lot of Frank Thomas bats leftover too.

itsnotrequired
05-17-2008, 10:45 PM
As far as the game used bats, there seemed to be an inordinate amount of Toby Hall and Chris Widger merchandise.

Any Ben Davis bats?

soxfanreggie
05-18-2008, 10:16 AM
How much were the Thomas bats going for?

soxfan21
05-18-2008, 10:52 AM
I got in line around 8:30 and I was surprised at how many people decided to go to the garage sale first, and then to family field day second. Right when I got in I wanted to see which jerseys they had and such, but looked at a handful because there was just too many pushy people in there and almost got in about 3 fights. Some people were just rediculous when it came to these game worn jerseys. I did however walk out of there with one of those Comiskey Park collage pictures, a set of those commemorative 2005 postseason ticket strips, one of those 2005 season ticket holder trophys, the 2006 season ticket drive posters, and a sweet art piece that had Baines, Frank, Robin, Ozzie, and New Comiskey Park in the background. There were some good deals to be had there, depending on what you were looking for.

BainesHOF
05-18-2008, 11:08 AM
How much were the Thomas bats going for?

$500

Sox35th
05-19-2008, 01:26 PM
but I'm not going to spend $500 for a game-used Konerko bat.

Why not......then you could bat .203