View Full Version : Fisk Returns to Sox

chisox117
05-13-2008, 05:14 PM
As team ambassador....

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10825025

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2008, 05:17 PM
This is great news.

I know the Sox are trying to bring back more ex-Sox into official roles, and in some cases it hasn't worked out (Walker, Raines, etc.). But this is a great move.

Hopefully this will heal some of the old wounds associated with Fisk's mistreatment in 1993.

If Ozzie ever quits or gets canned, I'd love to see Fisk as the manager.

LITTLE NELL
05-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Im still sort of mad at him for picking the BoSox for his HOF hat, but welcome back Carlton.

DSpivack
05-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Im still sort of mad at him for picking the BoSox for his HOF hat, but welcome back Carlton.

Was that his decision or MLB's?

btrain929
05-13-2008, 05:27 PM

I thought I heard somewhere they don't have a choice in what hat they wear.

SaltyPretzel
05-13-2008, 05:29 PM
I think they had a choice back then. I think it was changed when Wade Boggs took a payoff to wear a Devil Rays hat.

UofCSoxFan
05-13-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm pretty sure that's right. As a side note, did they allow Boggs to wear the TB hat or did they put a stop to that beforehand?...I'm sure Fenway could weigh in.

soxfanreggie
05-13-2008, 06:08 PM
I would find it hard to support Fisk as manager...

santo=dorf
05-13-2008, 07:23 PM
So was Hall released outright or traded to some other team?

rdwj
05-13-2008, 07:25 PM

Me too. I know people that have had to deal with him professionally. I've heard him described as a "prick" by guys that pretty much get along with EVERYONE.

LongLiveFisk
05-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Wow, interesting...I didn't think he'd ever come back to baseball in any shape or fashion.

Hope it works out well for both sides! :)

Lip Man 1
05-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Nell and others:

It was Carlton's choice on the hat and he chose Boston's.

At his press conference he made it clear that his choosing a Red Sox hat was in no way a slap at White Sox fans. He went out of his way at the press conference to thank White Sox fans for their support of both him and his family. He also mentioned that all of his children were born in Chicago and that he continued to make Chicago his home after he retired.

What was left unsaid and the way he made that statement made you think that choosing Boston's hat, even though he spent more years and played more games in a White Sox uniform, WAS a direct slap at Sox ownership.

Lip

Steelrod
05-13-2008, 07:46 PM
This is great news.

I know the Sox are trying to bring back more ex-Sox into official roles, and in some cases it hasn't worked out (Walker, Raines, etc.). But this is a great move.

Hopefully this will heal some of the old wounds associated with Fisk's mistreatment in 1993.

...because he interacts and communicates well with people!

chaerulez
05-13-2008, 08:36 PM
I think they had a choice back then. I think it was changed when Wade Boggs took a payoff to wear a Devil Rays hat.

I think Boggs tried to go in as a Ray, but his plaque has him wearing a Red Sox hat.

I think any resonable Sox fan knows the reason Fisk chose a Red Sox hat I think it's because of his feelings towards management and not the fans.

DumpJerry
05-13-2008, 08:44 PM

Me too. I know people that have had to deal with him professionally. I've heard him described as a "prick" by guys that pretty much get along with EVERYONE.
Likewise for me. I've heard the same thing that he easily rubs teammates the wrong way.

champagne030
05-13-2008, 08:53 PM
So was Hall released outright or traded to some other team?

The only bad thing about releasing Hall is that Uribe will have that much more food to eat in the clubhouse.

doublem23
05-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Can he hit?

Nellie_Fox
05-14-2008, 12:17 AM
I'm pretty sure that's right. As a side note, did they allow Boggs to wear the TB hat or did they put a stop to that beforehand?...I'm sure Fenway could weigh in.http://www.nebraskabaseballmuseum.com/Images/Boggs_Wade_plaque.jpg

MetroPD
05-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Can he hit?
He cant be any worse......

TomBradley72
05-14-2008, 06:59 AM
Nell and others:

At his press conference he made it clear that his choosing a Red Sox hat was in no way a slap at White Sox fans. He went out of his way at the press conference to thank White Sox fans for their support of both him and his family. He also mentioned that all of his children were born in Chicago and that he continued to make Chicago his home after he retired.

What was left unsaid and the way he made that statement made you think that choosing Boston's hat, even though he spent more years and played more games in a White Sox uniform, WAS a direct slap at Sox ownership.

Lip

He was born and raised in New England and made his only World Series appearance with the Red Sox. If it was reversed and a guy who grew up on the south side, started his career with the White Sox, went to his only World Series with us, then went to the Red Sox for the balance of his career...but chose to wear a White Sox cap in the HoF....would that be a slap at them?

Besides...the Red Sox never asked him to play left field so Joel Skinner could get playing time.

Thome25
05-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Nell and others:

Lip

I visited the HOF 2 years ago and took a picture standing next to Fisk's plaque....I was truly gritting my teeth looking at him wearing that damn Red Sawx cap....I was so mad and heartbroken (and still am) when I saw it in person.:angry::whiner:

Someone out there who has photoshop skills needs to put a WHITE Sox logo on a picture of his plaque.

October26
05-14-2008, 08:26 AM
I visited the HOF 2 years ago and took a picture standing next to Fisk's plaque....I was truly gritting my teeth looking at him wearing that damn Red Sawx cap....I was so mad and heartbroken (and still am) when I saw it in person.:angry::whiner:

Someone out there who has photoshop skills needs to put a WHITE Sox logo on a picture of his plaque.

Oh gosh, I don't want to see Fisk's plaque with the red sox logo cap - that would make me sick. Yes, please, somebody photoshop the picture and put the right Sox cap on it.

I can still remember when Fisk signed with the Sox - I was so happy the day I heard the news. I loved seeing him in a White Sox uniform and am very happy to hear of his return as an ambassador. Wish he could still hit and catch!

Believe It!
05-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Oh gosh, I don't want to see Fisk's plaque with the red sox logo cap - that would make me sick. Yes, please, somebody photoshop the picture and put the right Sox cap on it.

I can still remember when Fisk signed with the Sox - I was so happy the day I heard the news. I loved seeing him in a White Sox uniform and am very happy to hear of his return as an ambassador. Wish he could still hit and catch!
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm85/mattjr35/Pudge_HOF.jpg

I don't know about you but it makes me feel better

skottyj242
05-14-2008, 11:23 AM
So is he just going to be signing autographs for patio parties and what not like Mosse and Minoso do? That would kind of be a slap in the face, no more that the "I've caught 2226 games in my career but you'll never catch me with grey hair."

Tekijawa
05-14-2008, 11:33 AM
I'd love to see how long those trips to the mound would be!

southside rocks
05-14-2008, 11:46 AM

Last month, a collection of Pat Jordan's sportswriting was published. I bought the book -- it's excellent and I highly recommend it. One of the pieces in it is titled "Conversations With the Dinosaur" and it's a lengthy interview by Jordan of Carlton Fisk.

Pudge definitely isn't a walking smiley-face. But I don't know if that would be a plus or a minus if he were a manager. Interesting idea.

Here's some info on Jordan's book, and the Fisk interview is mentioned:
http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2008/04/a_true_spring_r.php

chisox117
05-14-2008, 11:57 AM

I'm all for it, as long as Fisk gives the Deion Sanders treatment to anyone who dogs it on the field!

Red Barchetta
05-14-2008, 01:17 PM
I think Boggs tried to go in as a Ray, but his plaque has him wearing a Red Sox hat.

I think any resonable Sox fan knows the reason Fisk chose a Red Sox hat I think it's because of his feelings towards management and not the fans.

...plus I think his most famous moment (his HR wave) happened when he played for the Red Sox. I think that moment is what the majority of fans remember him for.

Red Barchetta
05-14-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm all for it, as long as Fisk gives the Deion Sanders treatment to anyone who dogs it on the field!

That was a great moment! Sanders spit up over himself trying to defend his (non) actions. Everybody pretty much rolled their eyes.

bigsoxfan420
05-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Welcome back Pudge!

MetroPD
05-14-2008, 05:19 PM
That was a great moment! Sanders spit up over himself trying to defend his (non) actions. Everybody pretty much rolled their eyes.

There was nothing great about it, Deon tried to make it sound like Pudge said some remarks because of Deon's race, then he recanted and shut up.

Frontman
05-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Welcome back one of my all time faves to the Sox organization.

I however wouldn't want to see him manage. You think Ozzie is violatile......

SouthPaw72
05-15-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm shocked that Fisk is back. But so happy he is. It's been many years and time does heal all wounds. (Plus cash Im sure)

Don't kid yourself, Fisk would make a outstanding manager. Since when do you need to be warm, fuzzy and sociable to be a great manager.

Long Live Fisk!!:wink:

VeeckAsInWreck
05-15-2008, 12:33 PM

Good job on the pic! But wouldn't he be wearing the '83 cap instead of the current one?

I'm just saying is all. :tongue:

Steelrod
05-15-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm shocked that Fisk is back. But so happy he is. It's been many years and time does heal all wounds. (Plus cash Im sure)

Don't kid yourself, Fisk would make a outstanding manager. Since when do you need to be warm, fuzzy and sociable to be a great manager.

You need to be able to and want to communicate!

Frontman
05-15-2008, 04:25 PM
And of course, his welcome back to the Southside is the day before I leave for vacation.

GAH!

:thud:

Oblong
05-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Two other players also considered into the decision for the HOF to have the final say on the logo. Winfield went in as a Padre and the rumors were that they gave him a job in exchange for that. Seeing as he played with so many teams it wasn't that big of a deal since he started with them. There was also talk that Jose Canseco would go in as a Devil Ray if he, cough cough, ever got in.

I think in a situation like Fisk the HOF would just honor his request. It's more for the obvious examples where something fishy's going on. I think of him as a White Sox because of may age but the enduring image of him is his 75 homer.

October26
05-16-2008, 12:58 PM

Thank you so much! I just saw this today and it made my day! Yes, he should have the '83 Sox logo, but this one works for me. I'm still very happy about the news that Carlton Fisk is back with the Sox. He spent 13 years as a member of the White Sox and for me, this plaque is now perfect! :smile:

Uncle_Patrick
05-16-2008, 01:16 PM
I think in a situation like Fisk the HOF would just honor his request.

I think that if it was the HOF decision (which, it wasn't then) he would have gone in as a Red Sox player even if he wanted to go in as White Sox player. Outside of Chicago, Fisk seems better remembered as Red Sox member and, of course, the World Series home run is (or should be) burned into the memories of most baseball fans.

I recall a few years back, there was quite a bit talk that the HOF planned to induct Roger Clemens with a Red Sox hat despite his being adamant that he be inducted as a Yankee.

skottyj242
05-16-2008, 01:46 PM
And of course, his welcome back to the Southside is the day before I leave for vacation.

GAH!

:thud:

It's the day before you leave? What's the problem?

LongLiveFisk
05-16-2008, 10:42 PM

You rang? :cool:

Vernam
05-16-2008, 11:46 PM
For those who missed it, here's the podcast (http://podcast.670thescore.com/wscr/1091740.mp3) of Fisk's appearance on da Mike Nort' show. Some interesting remarks about alleged juicers, including Clemens and "the other Pudge."

Vernam

Lip Man 1
05-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Just remembered something...

Let's hope this ceremony isn't as bad as the last one involving Fisk, a number being retired and facing Cleveland.
In 1997 they decided to retire his #72. Jerry Reinsdorf and Ron Schueler didn't show up for it, then the "genius" Terry Bevington went out to the mound to change pitchers... only he didn't have ANYONE warming up in the pen.

Finally if memory serves they lost the damn game.

Let's hope things go a wee better this time around.

Lip

jdm2662
05-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Just remembered something...

Let's hope this ceremony isn't as bad as the last one involving Fisk, a number being retired and facing Cleveland.
In 1997 they decided to retire his #72. Jerry Reinsdorf and Ron Schueler didn't show up for it, then the "genius" Terry Bevington went out to the mound to change pitchers... only he didn't have ANYONE warming up in the pen.

Finally if memory serves they lost the damn game.

Let's hope things go a wee better this time around.

Lip

I was at the game where they presented Fisk's statue, and saw Fisk's speech. Both Eddie and JR were present, and the Sox beat Seattle 3-1... It was a tad better than the one from 1997.

Lip Man 1
05-19-2008, 12:49 PM
JDM:

I forgot about the statue. My bad. Thanks!

Lip