PDA

View Full Version : Gossage's White Sox Memories

chisox59
05-13-2008, 11:10 AM
There's a nice story in the Rocky Mountain News today on Rich Gossage's visit to the Hall of Fame. He gets pretty emotional when he sees things that jog his memory about his time with the White Sox.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/may/13/intentional-walk-for-gossage/

VeeckAsInWreck
05-13-2008, 11:43 AM
I liked that part about him crying when he saw the front of Old Comiskey torn down. It's nice to see that a ballplayer could appreciate something like that.

It was hard for me to look at the park like that during the '91 season. I was a kid and I wondered why they didn't do more to preserve the old place.

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Great article! Thanks so much for posting the link!

It was hard for me to look at the park like that during the '91 season. I was a kid and I wondered why they didn't do more to preserve the old place.

I was 14 at the time and wondered the same thing. I probably would have been such a monumental undertaking and it would have cost as much as building the new park, if not more, to bring it up-to-date (new and larger bathrooms, new and larger clubhouses, totally redone seating, new and wider concourses and ramps, a new roof and new upper deck to clear obstructed views, a new scoreboard, ADA accommodations, more food service and hospitality areas, new skyboxes, etc.). Really, it would have involved totally gutting the place and building a new stadium inside of the brick outer structure. Moreover, the Cubs had told the Sox that they would not be welcome to play any home games at Wrigley during a potential Comiskey Park refit.

Lip Man 1
05-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Goose is a class act all the way.

Lip

VeeckAsInWreck
05-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Congrats to Goose. I hope some video of him wearing the red pinstripes shows up when he gets inducted into the hall. To Goose! :gulp:

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_the_white_sox/images/gossage.JPG

Huisj
05-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Great article! Thanks so much for posting the link!

Really, it would have involved totally gutting the place and building a new stadium inside of the brick outer structure.

So, Soldier Field?

LITTLE NELL
05-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Rehabbing old Comiskey would have been a project a lot like Yankee Stadium back in the mid 70s which did not turn out all that bad. I for one would have liked to have seen it done. I would not have had a upper deck in left field so there could be views of the downtown skyline.

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2008, 02:56 PM
So, Soldier Field?

That would have been wild. Was the field wide enough to accommodate an outfield beyond Little League dimensions? Would it have been like the baseball field put in at the LA Coliseum?

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2008, 03:09 PM
I would not have had a upper deck in left field so there could be views of the downtown skyline.

That would have been cool, but the thing about Old Comiskey was that about half of the seating capacity was in the upper deck and a big chunk was in the corners. Removing the LF upper deck by itself would have really cut into the capacity. Since 35th Street could not have been easily moved, and to keep the stadium within the historic brick walls (with arches), all the grandstands would need to be demolished and the field itself would need to be moved at least several dozen yards to the northeast to allow the lower deck to have more rows behind the infield. A field-view concourse would have required even more space. There would have been precious little room for outfield grandstands.

LITTLE NELL
05-13-2008, 04:00 PM
If you remember the upper deck except for left field did not cover the whole lower deck. The upper deck could have been extended back to the outer walls, thus the last row of the upper deck would be right over the last row of the lower deck. Many times I made drawings of this configuration and it would have worked, there would still be poles in the lower deck to hold up the upper deck, but the upper deck would have no poles and a roof like Yankee Stadium.