PDA

View Full Version : Mike Downey gets it right again

nasox
05-13-2008, 04:49 AM
In Mike Downey's column today, he talks about how the White Sox, even though they have exceeded expectations somewhat this season so far, are not getting much attention. I'm no Hangar, but it seems like even locally there is not much buzz on the team. If some of the fears concerning the offense are assuaged, maybe then we'll get some attention. I don't know about you, but I have a lot of questions about this team (not to say I am not pleasantly surprised about a lot of areas).

Regardless of how you feel, it's a pretty good read. (And at the end, he rips ESPN blowhard and Detroit News columnist for calling for the firing of Ozzie).

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-13-downey-chicagomay13,1,7334649.column

Mod Edit: I replaced your link as yours was to page two.

bryPt
05-13-2008, 07:20 AM
wow, 2 in 2 weeks. Props to Mr. Downey. He must be writing somewhere other than the tower.

raven1
05-13-2008, 07:32 AM
Mike Downey's well stated list of examples make an extremely strong case for Chicago media bias. Unfortunately, he lays blame for this on the fans rather than his bosses at the Tribune Co.

white sox bill
05-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Isn't this where we want to be? Under the radar?

rwcescato
05-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Isn't this where we want to be? Under the radar?

Under the radar? We dont even exist. I am suprised they even sent any writers on this west coast trip. I know no reporters went. When the scrubs go on the west coast they will have every reporter on the case and they will hold the newspapers so the final will make the normal papers sent to homes.
This is the perfect time for us to get a good winning streak going starting today and the rest of the road trip. We need to get well above .500 soon.

white sox bill
05-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Under the radar? We dont even exist. I am suprised they even sent any writers on this west coast trip. I know no reporters went. When the scrubs go on the west coast they will have every reporter on the case and they will hold the newspapers so the final will make the normal papers sent to homes.
This is the perfect time for us to get a good winning streak going starting today and the rest of the road trip. We need to get well above .500 soon.

If this wasn't such bad PR behavior, I thought it would be cool to fly under the radar, hit a hot streak in September and win Division title. Then when the press finally wants to come around--slam the lockeroom door on them and celebrate in private

Iwritecode
05-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Unfortunately, he lays blame for this on the fans rather than his bosses at the Tribune Co.

I don't see this. I think he's talking about the media without actually coming right out and saying it.

spiffie
05-13-2008, 10:59 AM
In Mike Downey's column today, he talks about how the White Sox, even though they have exceeded expectations somewhat this season so far, are not getting much attention. I'm no Hangar, but it seems like even locally there is not much buzz on the team. If some of the fears concerning the offense are assuaged, maybe then we'll get some attention. I don't know about you, but I have a lot of questions about this team (not to say I am not pleasantly surprised about a lot of areas).

Regardless of how you feel, it's a pretty good read. (And at the end, he rips ESPN blowhard and Detroit News columnist for calling for the firing of Ozzie).

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-13-downey-chicagomay13,1,7334649.column

Mod Edit: I replaced your link as yours was to page two.
Honestly, I'm not sure where the buzz would be. This is a team in 3rd place in a not very impressive division (so far at least), one game under .500 after a quarter of the season. They're wildly inconsistent, can go for a week without scoring, and their #1 pitcher just got hammered again. Yes, there are things as fans we can take from the season so far and be very positive about (Floyd, Danks, Quentin, Anderson) but to suggest that some sort of critical media mass should be building about the Sox, especially at a time when the other team in town just finished sweeping the NL's #1 team and is tied for the best record in baseball seems a bit odd.

Jerko
05-13-2008, 11:03 AM
I just care about winning right now. **** the media coverage, Cubs, the radar, and whatnot. 9 of our next 12 games (i think) are against the Angels and Indians; we need to focus on that IMO before we find ourselves 8 games back.

Palehose Pete
05-13-2008, 11:18 AM
I just care about winning right now. **** the media coverage, Cubs, the radar, and whatnot. 9 of our next 12 games (i think) are against the Angels and Indians; we need to focus on that IMO before we find ourselves 8 games back.

Amen, brutha.

The Sox will be fine, IMO. I don't care about what happens on the North Side. In this age, you don't have to get your news locally any longer. So, I don't. For me, the Sox are my team, my focus, and the Cubs are an afterthought in the media coverage because of where I choose to get my news.

Like they said in The Simpsons, "Just don't look."

Now, let's hope they take the next three games from the Angels.

balke
05-13-2008, 11:26 AM
I don't think the Sox deserve much attention right now honestly. They are a good team in a division of good teams.

I think the Twins deserve attention. They've found a way yet again to produce talent in the wake of losing talent. People forget they have Morneau and Mauer, who are complimented well by all the speed on the team. With Neshek down though, I see some pitching woes ahead for them.

Hopefully the Sox realize they are better than this (even if its a decent start) and they can start throwing up some more W's soon.

Irishsox1
05-13-2008, 12:48 PM
The Sox didn't get off to a blazing start and thats it. The buzz about the 2005 team was pretty strong early but of course the Chicago media was calling for a collapse. I remember the Tribune did a story in season comparing the 2005 Sox to the 1964 Phillies. That was pretty lame of the Trib.

If any team should be receiving buzz, it's the Marlins. A-Rod makes more than the entire Marlins payroll, yet the Marlins are 23-15. Even when the Marlins fade, its still amazing.

DSpivack
05-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Exceeded expectations? What were his expectations of them? We're currently a .500 team.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-13-2008, 12:58 PM
If any team should be receiving buzz, it's the Marlins. A-Rod makes more than the entire Marlins payroll, yet the Marlins are 23-15. Even when the Marlins fade, its still amazing.

Yeah, the Marlins are amazing at rebuilding. Their fans have gone on one heluva roller coaster ride the last 11 years and have two World Series titles on top of it.

Domeshot17
05-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Exceeded expectations? What were his expectations of them? We're currently a .500 team.

Exactly! Most (some had us worse) had us pegged as a 80-84 win team finishing 3rd behind Cleveland and Detroit. In turn the Cubs playing hot and just swept what many called the best team in the NL.

If we were sitting 4-6 games over .500 right now and the Cubs were .500 and getting the press it would be different, but right now they are earning it, and we keep blowing chances. We SHOULD be over .500 right now, but we haven't executed.

Iwritecode
05-13-2008, 01:27 PM
If we were sitting 4-6 games over .500 right now and the Cubs were .500 and getting the press it would be different

I'm pretty sure that has happened before.

JB98
05-13-2008, 01:27 PM

Yeah, that's my reaction as well.

Why the hell should people be excited about a club that is 18-19?

LITTLE NELL
05-13-2008, 02:42 PM
I love the Sox but Im not doing handsprings over them right now, we are lucky that so far the division stinks. Some team is going to get hot and take over the division and I hope its us.

soxpride724
05-13-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm startin to like Mike more and more..:smile:

sox230
05-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Disagree with all you who like this article. I think it's moronic. Ofcourse the Cubs are getting all the attention, NOT because they are the Cubs but because THEY HAVE THE BEST RECORD IN BASEBALL!!!! We are not getting any attention NOT because we are the Sox, but because we are under .500 for godsake!!!!

It's Time
05-13-2008, 03:32 PM
I think the article was dumb. Hot? They were a .500 club when he wrote that article and now are a game under.

Silly article.

soxpride724
05-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Disagree with all you who like this article. I think it's moronic. Ofcourse the Cubs are getting all the attention, NOT because they are the Cubs but because THEY HAVE THE BEST RECORD IN BASEBALL!!!! We are not getting any attention NOT because we are the Sox, but because we are under .500 for godsake!!!!

The fact that they have one of the best records in MLB certainly helps the media coverage but, if the Sox were right there with them we would still be on the back burner.

SoxGirl4Life
05-13-2008, 05:37 PM
As a Sox fan, I don't think the Sox deserve any over the top coverage. They don't deserve to be dismissed, either, but we're a game under .500 and that's the type of excitement we're generating.

turners56
05-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Great article, but I think he over-exaggerated a bit. The Sox don't deserve the attention right now, they're playing mediocre baseball at best.

LoveYourSuit
05-13-2008, 05:46 PM
It's the same song every year.

I'm tired of bitching about the coverage or lack there of.

Winning will take care of it. And no, .500 baseball is not considered "winning" by any stretch.

We get what we deserve.

We need to focus on the field and worry less about the media and papers.

turners56
05-13-2008, 05:51 PM
It's the same song every year.

I'm tired of bitching about the coverage or lack there of.

Winning will take care of it. And no, .500 baseball is not considered "winning" by any stretch.

We get what we deserve.

We need to focus on the field and worry less about the media and papers.

The Cubs play below that almost every year, yet they still get attention. That's what Downey was talking about. I don't think the Cubs organization get what they deserve for their crappy baseball for the past 60 years. But I guess they're too much of a specialty. Even though the Cubs are playing great, the White Sox aren't doing so bad, that's Downey's point. Nobody ever talks about what the Sox are good at. It's always some controversy over Ozzie, while the Cubs get the feel-good stories about something not so relevant in another one of their lost-seasons. It gets old, it really does. There's a reason for people to complain.

white sox bill
05-13-2008, 06:00 PM
What we are seeing is two-fold:
*The fallout from yrs if not decades of pi** poor marketing by the Sox
*The result of having a competitor owned by a mega-giant Media company, which is why I'll be glad when they get sold and we are on equal footing

LITTLE NELL
05-13-2008, 06:21 PM
What we are seeing is two-fold:
*The fallout from yrs if not decades of pi** poor marketing by the Sox
*The result of having a competitor owned by a mega-giant Media company, which is why I'll be glad when they get sold and we are on equal footing
Why does the Sun Times fawn over them so much?

white sox bill
05-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Why does the Sun Times fawn over them so much?

Everybody loves the Cubs..
Hell I don't know Nell, you'd think they would rip on a competitor. Maybe they don't want to anger what they may consider a large segment of thier readership

LITTLE NELL
05-13-2008, 06:43 PM
In this decade the Cubs have drawn 23 million people and the Sox 16.8 million, so do you completely ignore the 16.8 million. What are we? Chopped liver.

SoxGirl4Life
05-13-2008, 06:49 PM
What are we? Chopped liver.

According to most local media, yes. :shrug:

It doesn't bother me.. lol. I don't rate my fandom by the number of articles that are written about the Sox. In fact, I kinda like it when we ARE playing well and surpirse people.

white sox bill
05-13-2008, 06:50 PM
In this decade the Cubs have drawn 23 million people and the Sox 16.8 million, so do you completely ignore the 16.8 million. What are we? Chopped liver.

So approx 6 million less accrued over 8 yrs? Thats still not too bad..I live in NW Illinois and I swear on my Mothers grave, this may as well be Wrigleyville West. You mention White Sox and most people say "yea I got a few in my top drawer"

TommyJohn
05-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Has anyone forgotten 2005, when the White Sox had the best record in baseball, yet faced relentless negativity? How about September, when certain members of the press seemed to be openly rooting for a collapse? (Including Eric Zorn, who WAS openly rooting for a collapse.) Then there was 2006, when the defending World Champs had one of the best records in baseball before the All-Star break but the last-place Cubs got all the attention because "losing is more interesting." And how about last year? The North Side team was in a similar situation, close to first but treading the .500 mark. The media seemed giddy at the time. I recall a Greg Couch article that praised the Cubs formula, saying it got "winning" results, while dancing on the Sox' grave. At the time both teams were about 6-7 games BELOW .500. Winning, indeed. So please don't give me this stuff about the Sox don't "deserve" any attention. As we have seen in the recent past, "Deserves got nuthin' to do with it" to quote Clint Eastwood.

I for one still believe that this team can put it together and have a great run.They certainly have the talent, it just needs to pull together all at once. Sure, they are lucky that the rest of the division is playing like crap. Perhaps they will get it together and take advantage of that. Let us not give up yet.

white sox bill
05-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Has anyone forgotten 2005, when the White Sox had the best record in baseball, yet faced relentless negativity? How about September, when certain members of the press seemed to be openly rooting for a collapse? (Including Eric Zorn, who WAS openly rooting for a collapse.) Then there was 2006, when the defending World Champs had one of the best records in baseball before the All-Star break but the last-place Cubs got all the attention because "losing is more interesting." And how about last year? The North Side team was in a similar situation, close to first but treading the .500 mark. The media seemed giddy at the time. I recall a Greg Couch article that praised the Cubs formula, saying it got "winning" results, while dancing on the Sox' grave. At the time both teams were about 6-7 games BELOW .500. Winning, indeed. So please don't give me this stuff about the Sox don't "deserve" any attention. As we have seen in the recent past, "Deserves got nuthin' to do with it" to quote Clint Eastwood.

I for one still believe that this team can put it together and have a great run.They certainly have the talent, it just needs to pull together all at once. Sure, they are lucky that the rest of the division is playing like crap. Perhaps they will get it together and take advantage of that. Let us not give up yet.

I recall listening to Score back in 05 and they compared the 2 teams to cars--one was a brand new shining car(sox) and the other was a totaled complete wreck with windows blown out(cubs). Your standing in front of them--which one ya gonna talk about more?

But what if we were the complete wreck? Nobody would still talk about us!

TomBradley72
05-13-2008, 07:10 PM
He makes some great points (especially about Quentin and Floyd), but we have one of the highest payrolls in baseball and we're playing at a .486 clip. There shouldn't be a 'buzz' about this team. About certain players, yes, but the team overlall hasn't really played that well..especially over the past 2-3 weeks. Early in the season...it's not as much about games up/down in the standings as it is winning percentage that creates "buzz". .486 isn't going to do it.

The Cubs have played .605 ball....they deserve it. They'll come back to earth a bit once they play on the road more. But for now...they deserve it.

Jerome
05-13-2008, 07:40 PM
I don't think a .500 team deserves a whole lot of buzz

he is right on about Carlos Quentin and Gavin Floyd, however. If those guys were on the Cubs, could you just imagine the hype? Floyd would be a Cy Young candidate and the CQ All Star Campaign would be the top story on the news.

Hitmen77
05-13-2008, 11:18 PM
I'm more worried about the Sox getting their **** together before I'm going to spend much time right now worrying about their coverage vs. the Cubs.

For the last few weeks, our team has been very uninteresting - period. What can I say about Konerko, Thome, Cabrera, and Swish making out after out with runners in scoring position? Same with our patented way of giving up 2-out runs (especially unearned ones:angry:)

I tell you one thing- if we're so worried about how we're treated in this town vs. the Cubs, I just hope to God that the Sox get their heads out of their asses by the time the crosstown games roll around. If the Sox keep playing the way they are, get ready for a HUGE embarrassment by the time those games are done.

A.BunkerHereLord
05-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah, that's my reaction as well.

Why the hell should people be excited about a club that is 18-19?Mine too. Downey is usually pretty bad if you ask me.

A.BunkerHereLord
05-16-2008, 03:25 PM
He makes some great points (especially about Quentin and Floyd), but we have one of the highest payrolls in baseball and we're playing at a .486 clip. There shouldn't be a 'buzz' about this team. About certain players, yes, but the team overlall hasn't really played that well..especially over the past 2-3 weeks. Early in the season...it's not as much about games up/down in the standings as it is winning percentage that creates "buzz". .486 isn't going to do it.

The Cubs have played .605 ball....they deserve it. They'll come back to earth a bit once they play on the road more. But for now...they deserve it.

As much as I hate them, you have to hand it to the Cubs. They are way over .500, something the Sox should also be after the pitching they're getting as well as question marks (Quentin, Contreras, Floyd, Danks) all coming through in a big way.
With this team, anything below a 90-win season would be a failure in my mind.
The Cubs deserve a bulk of the excitement right now.

minutia
05-16-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm more worried about the Sox getting their **** together before I'm going to spend much time right now worrying about their coverage vs. the Cubs.

For the last few weeks, our team has been very uninteresting - period. What can I say about Konerko, Thome, Cabrera, and Swish making out after out with runners in scoring position? Same with our patented way of giving up 2-out runs (especially unearned ones:angry:)

I tell you one thing- if we're so worried about how we're treated in this town vs. the Cubs, I just hope to God that the Sox get their heads out of their asses by the time the crosstown games roll around. If the Sox keep playing the way they are, get ready for a HUGE embarrassment by the time those games are done.
I agree with you. Complaining about media coverage for the Sox no matter how accurate is fuitle. I am more concerned with them getting it togheter offensively and defensively than weather we are the most popular with the press.

chisox77
05-16-2008, 04:30 PM
At 20-20, I hope the White Sox are poised to go on a tear. They have the talent. That's what I am concerned with.

:cool:

SoxGirl4Life
05-16-2008, 04:36 PM
As much as I hate them, you have to hand it to the Cubs. They are way over .500, something the Sox should also be after the pitching they're getting as well as question marks (Quentin, Contreras, Floyd, Danks) all coming through in a big way.
With this team, anything below a 90-win season would be a failure in my mind.
The Cubs deserve a bulk of the excitement right now.

LMAO! :dtroll:

FarWestChicago
05-16-2008, 09:53 PM
The Cubs deserve a bulk of the excitement right now.:crossdresser