PDA

View Full Version : Two-out runs

thomas35forever
05-13-2008, 12:11 AM
Okay, I've just about had it with the two-out runs. Apparently, they forgot that you have to play smart and focused until you get all three outs. One hit and our pitchers panic. One error and our pitchers panic. If a team gets this rattled by one hit with two outs, it needs some serious counseling because I don't wanna put up with this for the next 4 1/2 months.:angry:

Frontman
05-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Okay, I've just about had it with the two-out runs. Apparently, they forgot that you have to play smart and focused until you get all three outs. One hit and our pitchers panic. One error and our pitchers panic. If a team gets this rattled by one hit with two outs, it needs some serious counseling because I don't wanna put up with this for the next 4 1/2 months.:angry:

Not just the pitchers; but the fielders as well. This missing routine plays has been horrid this season.

thomas35forever
05-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Not just the pitchers; but the fielders as well. This missing routine plays has been horrid this season.
That's another point I was trying to make. We were talking a month ago about how this could be the greatest defensive Sox team of all-time. My ass. This defense has cost us a few games and I don't know how you fix that.

oeo
05-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Crede's defense has been a killer. There's been nothing about his defense that has even sniffed a Gold Glove this year.

sox1970
05-13-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm liking the Thornton-Dotel-Linebrink-Jenks portion of the bullpen.

It's the other three I could do without.

Harry Potter
05-13-2008, 12:44 AM
I'm liking the Thornton-Dotel-Linebrink-Jenks portion of the bullpen.

It's the other three I could do without.

Ironically, all the "Bring Up Ehren Wasserman" posters from a few weeks ago are suddenly quiet these days...

Frontman
05-13-2008, 12:46 AM
Ironically, all the "Bring Up Ehren Wasserman" posters from a few weeks ago are suddenly quiet these days...

No, I've been still posting. I'm just avoiding talking about him recently.

Ehren has just been the 2008 version of Mike MacDougal. Thought he'd be fine; guess he isn't.

sox1970
05-13-2008, 12:50 AM

I thought I posted that in the game thread.

As for Wassermann, he deserved to make the team out of spring training, but when he's up, he has to get the job done. He simply hasn't. If it means giving Adam Russell or Dewon Day a shot, that's ok with me.

JB98
05-13-2008, 01:11 AM

I was on board with bringing up Wasserman. MacDougal wasn't getting it done. Now, unfortunately, Wasserman isn't getting it done either.

Might be time to try someone else as the 12th man on the staff. If Wasserman cannot get right-handed hitters out in key spots, he's useless. That's what he did well last season. This year, it ain't happening.

All those tacked on runs in the sixth inning loomed large with the Sox offense showing some life in the late innings tonight.

LoveYourSuit
05-13-2008, 01:15 AM
I was on board with bringing up Wasserman. MacDougal wasn't getting it done. Now, unfortunately, Wasserman isn't getting it done either.

Might be time to try someone else as the 12th man on the staff. If Wasserman cannot get right-handed hitters out in key spots, he's useless. That's what he did well last season. This year, it ain't happening.

All those tacked on runs in the sixth inning loomed large with the Sox offense showing some life in the late innings tonight.

They might need another long man in here. Massett is being used too often in situations where he is not needed (closing out the 9th inning of blow outs). Might want to start saving him exclusively for Buehrle starts.

Lip Man 1
05-13-2008, 01:26 AM
Someone pointed out a few weeks ago the Sox had already given up 60 runs with two out. At the time I said that sounded like an unusually high amount and wondered if with two outs and guys on second, signs are being stolen and relayed to the hitter or if the Sox had fallen into a pattern that other teams figured out.

I thought maybe it was time for Cooper and the catchers to change things up on signs and pitch patterns.

Lip

TDog
05-13-2008, 01:28 AM
I've been concerned about the two-out runs since opening day, and the two-out runs seem most prevalent when Mark Buehrle is pitchting. I expect it more from inexperienced younger pitchers. I really don't know what the problem is.

Part of the problem is the defense. The Sox infield has the ability to play Gold Glove defense, especially with Uribe at second. Obviously they aren't playing at that level nearly enough. Buehrle should be a leader on the staff. Yet he consistently isn't pitching over two-out, none-on errors.

I don't know what the problem is. But I know the problem with the Sox isn't a lack of talent, but of execution.

Stringer
05-13-2008, 01:30 AM

:(:

kevingrt
05-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Hawk mentioned it tonight how opportunistic opponents have been versus us this year, it is down right scary. And that is not to mention how bad our defense and pitching have been when we get in the slightest bit of trouble. Either we get a double play to get out of the inning for we will see at least a three spot go on the board for them.

turners56
05-13-2008, 05:36 PM

Pitchers don't like it when they have to make 4 outs instead of 3. Fielders don't like staying on the field when they already should of made 3 outs. I don't blame them for being pissed and panicking. Bottom line is: make the play in the god damn first place.

spiffie
05-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Crede's defense has been a killer. There's been nothing about his defense that has even sniffed a Gold Glove this year.
The way Crede's defense has been this year we may need to get an objective measurement of just how well Daver's ass can chew gum, because Crede might be approaching that point