PDA

View Full Version : Jim Edmonds available

the1tab
05-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Phil Rogers says he's on the Cubs' radar.

Does he have anything left? Would he be worth a major-league-minimum deal for the remainder of the season? I know we already have a lefty w/ limited wheels working his butt off to hit .200 in the middle of our lineup, but Edmonds has had a flair for the dramatic...

If nothing else, pick him up for the Cubs series and then drop him again?

thomas35forever
05-12-2008, 11:09 PM
And add to the surplus of outfielders we already have? No thanks.

DumpJerry
05-12-2008, 11:15 PM
He's on the DL the past two years more often than WSIers post opinions about Ozzie, Kenny and Uribe in one week.

Lefty34
05-12-2008, 11:54 PM
Just what this team needs: more diving to make up for bad pre-pitch positioning and reads off the bat.

DSpivack
05-13-2008, 12:09 AM
Darin Erstad II, yay!

FedEx227
05-13-2008, 12:28 AM
Just what this team needs: more diving to make up for bad pre-pitch positioning and reads off the bat.

And the funny thing now, he's so slow and PETCO is so large that his little "play 5 feet behind 2nd base" gimmick is biting him in the ass.

No thank you, let's keep him available.

It's Time
05-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Wow! Edmonds is expected to sign with the Cubs on Wednesday and Pie will be shipped to the minors per Bruce Levine.
:?::o::scratch:

sox1970
05-13-2008, 12:32 AM
He's just a formerly roided up guy that can't play anymore.

It's Time
05-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Not sure what they see in him but he is all but signed it appears.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/945598,edmonds051208.article

FedEx227
05-13-2008, 01:00 AM
...Personally, I think Reed Johnson has filled in great for them. This is just a stupid move in my mind, he's DONE. Well good, this might be that "tinker too much with a good team" move. Let's hope.

JB98
05-13-2008, 01:07 AM
...Personally, I think Reed Johnson has filled in great for them. This is just a stupid move in my mind, he's DONE. Well good, this might be that "tinker too much with a good team" move. Let's hope.

If the Cubs sign Edmonds, that's a good move for those of us who do not like the Cubs or their fans.

I agree with you completely on this one. Just what the hell is wrong with playing Reed Johnson in CF? He's done a pretty solid job for them.

FedEx227
05-13-2008, 01:11 AM
If the Cubs sign Edmonds, that's a good move for those of us who do not like the Cubs or their fans.

I agree with you completely on this one. Just what the hell is wrong with playing Reed Johnson in CF? He's done a pretty solid job for them.

Hey, I'm not one to complain. The Cubs think they are getting Jim Edmonds (1996-2005), they aren't.

JB98
05-13-2008, 01:13 AM
Hey, I'm not one to complain. The Cubs think they are getting Jim Edmonds (1996-2005), they aren't.

Yeah, the Padres are desperate for hitting, yet they still decided they have no use for Edmonds and his "big left-handed bat."

Edmonds = done.

fquaye149
05-13-2008, 01:23 AM

The Cubs are big on easily recognizable "big names"

They're a lot like George Steinbrenner.

FedEx227
05-13-2008, 01:25 AM
The Cubs are big on easily recognizable "big names"

They're a lot like George Steinbrenner.

I was almost 100% sure they would end up with either Adam Dunn or Ken Griffey, but I guess that's a no-go...

fquaye149
05-13-2008, 01:29 AM
That's good for all us Cub non-well-wishers since, despite what all Strikeout Haters think, Dunn's a pretty damned good hitter.

FedEx227
05-13-2008, 01:34 AM
That's good for all us Cub non-well-wishers since, despite what all Strikeout Haters think, Dunn's a pretty damned good hitter.

Yeah those guys are both twice the player Edmonds is at this point, so thank god.

Lefty34
05-13-2008, 01:52 AM
If you do a Google search for "Jim Edmonds Dive" almost ALL of his diving pictures are him facing the wall. Albeit some of those were great catches, but a majority of them were him mis-playing a fly ball. Oh well, now the Cubbie Faithful can "ooh" and "ahh" at his acrobatic catches...that is, until he misses a ball pimp-smacked by Fielder and the Prince can actually leg out a triple.

fquaye149
05-13-2008, 01:56 AM
Yes, Edmonds has a flair for the theatrics, but one of the marks of a great CF is the ability to play shallow and still cover the deep balls and Edmonds was a master of that.

Edmonds was an excellent CF at taking away hits, even though he often misplayed some of the easier flyballs that came his way

WhiteSox5187
05-13-2008, 02:01 AM
Yes, Edmonds has a flair for the theatrics, but one of the marks of a great CF is the ability to play shallow and still cover the deep balls and Edmonds was a master of that.

Edmonds was an excellent CF at taking away hits, even though he often misplayed some of the easier flyballs that came his way
I never understood the argument that "He got bad jumps on the ball" yes it would be great if all of our fielders could get great jumps on the ball, and more often than not they're going to wind up getting a descent jump. But if a guy can recover from a bad jump, I think that's a good thing too.

FedEx227
05-13-2008, 02:02 AM
I never understood the argument that "He got bad jumps on the ball" yes it would be great if all of our fielders could get great jumps on the ball, and more often than not they're going to wind up getting a descent jump. But if a guy can recover from a bad jump, I think that's a good thing too.

But Edmonds was never really of the "bad jumps on the ball" group, he was more of the play shallow so I can make some spectacular catches group which I respect less than the bad jumps crew.

fquaye149
05-13-2008, 02:07 AM
But Edmonds was never really of the "bad jumps on the ball" group, he was more of the play shallow so I can make some spectacular catches group which I respect less than the bad jumps crew.

Um, no.

He played shallow to take away shallow fly-ball/line drives. If you can play shallow and still cover the deep ball that's an incredible asset to your team. To a large extent, that's why Anderson is so valuable--he can cover the entire CF--not just the deep part.

That was part of Rowand's weakness as a CF--he had to play rather deep b/c he didn't have the ability to GET good jumps, reads, nor the speed to make up for that, to play shallow.

Playing shallow is very very important and very few CF's can do it.

WhiteSox5187
05-13-2008, 02:09 AM
Yea, I didn't watch a whole lot of Edmonds, but in the few highlights that I recall, he was playing awfully shallow.

ZombieRob
05-13-2008, 04:55 AM
So he's expected to sign with the Cubs according to sun-times website. Guess Pie is going down. Shame though, think Pie is a better C.F at this point in the careers of both of them.

santo=dorf
05-13-2008, 07:17 AM
Wow! Edmonds is expected to sign with the Cubs on Wednesday and Pie will be shipped to the minors per Bruce Levine.
:?::o::scratch:
HAHA

2008 Edmonds = 2007 Erstad, except Jim was a much better player. On the plus side, perhaps this will keep Cub fans from making anymore make up or gay jokes about Jim. I'm not a Cards supporter, but I heard it routinely from my Cub fans friend when they would rip the cards, and it's quite annoying.

Zisk77
05-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Edmonds is done.

Edmonds also has a certain habit you don't want in the clubhouse.

whitem0nkey
05-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Edmonds is done.

is this a steroid ref? or salsa?

the1tab
05-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Rumor is that Edmonds is going to sign for the rest of the season w/ the Cubs to back up Reed Johnson.

Not exactly what the Cubs had envisioned when they got to Arizona... looking for the speedy CF to leadoff...

Does Pie become available for Roberts now? Does Rich Hill? Kinda funny that the two guys the Cubs allegedly wouldn't part with for the O's 2B are now in Iowa doing nothing and Roberts is still in Baltimore. Once again, Hendry looks like a frugle genius until 3 weeks later when his house of cards collapses...

alohafri
05-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Edmonds is done.

Too much fiber in his diet? :?:

rocky biddle
05-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Bruce Levine sounded giddy as a school girl yesterday while talking about this on the MJH show. One man's trash is another's treasure, I guess. It also helps to have a media empire and legions of adoring talking heads in full spin mode.

I don't get it. But, then again, I didn't get the Trachsel move last year which I was assured would work out so incredibly.

soxfan13
05-13-2008, 11:07 AM

I hope you meant to put that in teal. Dunn is a pretty damned good power hitter. He is pretty close to a srikeout or home run , as you can get.

Sad
05-13-2008, 11:07 AM

well put :thumbsup:

that guy has always been a jumbo-sized hot dog :rolleyes:

Zisk77
05-14-2008, 10:14 AM
is this a steroid ref? or salsa?

Nope this habit is well....a habit if you catch my drift.

fquaye149
05-14-2008, 10:20 AM
I hope you meant to put that in teal. Dunn is a pretty damned good power hitter. He is pretty close to a srikeout or home run , as you can get.

:rolleyes:

doublem23
05-14-2008, 10:36 AM

That .380 career OBP would never fly on the South Side.

kittle42
05-14-2008, 10:39 AM

Definitely not grindy enough. No swagger, either.

doublem23
05-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Of course, the Sun-Times is defending this move (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/948313,CST-SPT-deluca14.article), which appears to be all but done.

Felix Pie, welcome to Bustville. Population: You. And Corey Patterson. And Jerome Walton. And Mark Prior. And Kerry Wood. And Juan Cruz. And Matt Murton. And Hee Seop Choi. And Bobby Hill. And Kevin Orie. And Tuffy Rhodes.

soxfan13
05-14-2008, 10:54 AM
:rolleyes:

Ok sorry homerun, strikeout or walk, you got me and where the hell did I say I would never want him on the White Sox. People on this board love to put words in other peoples mouths It is getting to the point of being beyond ridiculous.

doublem23
05-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Ok sorry homerun, strikeout or walk, you got me and where the hell did I say I would never want him on the White Sox. People on this board love to put words in other peoples mouths It is getting to the point of being beyond ridiculous.

So... you want the Sox to pick up guys you believe are bad hitters? :?:

Noted.

fquaye149
05-14-2008, 11:18 AM

When "Homerun or walk (or double or single)" is occurring nearly 40 percent of the time, then yes, he's a pretty ****ing good hitter.

BUT HIS OUTS ARE STRIKEOUTS! OMG!

spiffie
05-14-2008, 11:25 AM
When "Homerun or walk (or double or single)" is occurring nearly 40 percent of the time, then yes, he's a pretty ****ing good hitter.

BUT HIS OUTS ARE STRIKEOUTS! OMG!
A triple is better than a home run.

fquaye149
05-14-2008, 11:28 AM
A triple is better than a home run.

Grand slams kill rallies

kittle42
05-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Of course, the Sun-Times is defending this move (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/948313,CST-SPT-deluca14.article), which appears to be all but done.

Felix Pie, welcome to Bustville. Population: You. And Corey Patterson. And Jerome Walton. And Mark Prior. And Kerry Wood. And Juan Cruz. And Matt Murton. And Hee Seop Choi. And Bobby Hill. And Kevin Orie. And Tuffy Rhodes.

Hey, two of those busts still (unbelievably) got them their two best offensive players right now!

peeonwrigley
05-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Hey, two of those busts still (unbelievably) got them their two best offensive players right now!

I just went and looked at the Cubs' batting averages, and now I want to cry.

kittle42
05-14-2008, 12:28 PM
I just went and looked at the Cubs' batting averages, and now I want to cry.

They slam the **** out of the ball, generally...they just need 1-2 more solid starters. They may still win the division with Lilly, Marquis, Gallagher, and Dempster, but come playoff time, 2-3 of those guys in a short series aren't winning.

alohafri
05-14-2008, 01:50 PM

Hey, if the cubs want to collect old outfielders, I'd be willing to give them Dye for Pie.

Jerome
05-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Edmonds over Pie? This move reeks of Erstad over Anderson

DSpivack
05-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Hey, if the cubs want to collect old outfielders, I'd be willing to give them Dye for Pie.

You would, I wouldn't.

doublem23
05-14-2008, 04:58 PM

The guy with the 2nd highest BA and slugging percentage of our regulars for the latest and greatest Cubby-Savior-To-Be-Turned-Bust?

Great move.