PDA

View Full Version : Hopes for 2008

Shoeless_Jim
05-12-2008, 04:47 PM
After the 18-18 start, what are your hopes and predictions for the remainder of this year.

I think they can win the division, but the central will be very close and not great record wise all year. The wild-card will probably come out of somewhere else. I think 95 total wins will get the job done.:bandance:

thoughts...

LITTLE NELL
05-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Im very dissapointed in Thome, Konerko, Cabrerra and Swisher so far. Im pleased with the pitching. If we are going to win the division those 4 I mentioned are going to have start producing. I know its early but we need to come home over .500 on this current road trip and have something to build on.

thomas35forever
05-12-2008, 06:01 PM
At this rate, it's going to take maybe 90-92 wins to win the division. I think this team will finish in second place, but it won't be enough to win the Wild Card.

JB98
05-12-2008, 06:14 PM
I think we will continue to win about half our games.

whitesoxwilkes
05-12-2008, 06:18 PM
At this rate, it's going to take maybe 90-92 wins to win the division. I think this team will finish in second place, but it won't be enough to win the Wild Card.

I'm thinking 90 might be on the high end. 88 might be enough.

WhiteSox5187
05-12-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm an unnerved that we appear to be chasing the Twins again and fear that we might be seeing a replay of '03 and '04...however if we keep pitching like this and Paulie and Thome wind up having even mediocre years (like say '07) and Cabrera turns it up (I think he's starting to get hot, but now I fear I might have jinxed him, oh well) we have a good shot. It really comes down to the pitching, and I think we're going to find out whether or not Floyd is for real with the next start, if we keep pitching like this we're going to be in good shape.

eastchicagosoxfan
05-12-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm afraid that this team won't hit much better than last year's team. It's still early though. I think the Sox can win the division. If the pitching remains solid, any improvement in the hitting can take this team a long way.

The Immigrant
05-12-2008, 06:25 PM
85 wins would exceed my expectations. Contrary to what everyone says, this is a rebuilding year for the Sox - but I like how the near future is shaping up.

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-12-2008, 06:32 PM
I don't expect the Sox to make the playoffs, but somewhere around 85-88 wins should be expected. The team needs to figure out the 3rd base situation, solidify the bullpen, and see how well Danks and Floyd can improve.

chisoxfanatic
05-12-2008, 06:37 PM
I couldn't believe the prediction I was hearing of 82 wins on the B&B show today! The pitching alone will win a large number of games. I'm thinking anywhere between 88 and 92 wins for this team, and that'll be enough to contend for the divisional crown.

sox1970
05-12-2008, 06:38 PM
I think the Sox will win the division if Thome, Swisher, and Konerko have good second halves.

I like the Sox pitching over anyone in the division.

As far as the number of wins, I think 91 will win it this year. The wildcard may only be 92-93 too. It's going to be an interesting September. Pace yourself.

Lip Man 1
05-12-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm hopeful of a "winning" (i.e. at least 82 wins) season. That might even be good enough for some meaningful games this September. We'll see.

Lip

gosox41
05-12-2008, 07:47 PM
I couldn't believe the prediction I was hearing of 82 wins on the B&B show today! The pitching alone will win a large number of games. I'm thinking anywhere between 88 and 92 wins for this team, and that'll be enough to contend for the divisional crown.

I'm willing to bet that the Sox pitching won't maintain an ERA under 4.00 for the season.

And while great pitching is nice, look how well the Sox did during their six game losing streak. The bats couldn't even give you an average offense and what would have been a great time to take a lead in the division (putting Det behing double digits) turned into a losing streak that could have been avoided if we had a consistent offense.

Bob

gosox41
05-12-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm hopeful of a "winning" (i.e. at least 82 wins) season. That might even be good enough for some meaningful games this September. We'll see.

Lip

I don't think it will be. There's a good chance we can be a 3rd or 4th place team by then if we're on pace for 82 wins.

Bob

chisoxmike
05-12-2008, 11:17 PM
I think the SOX can win the division if the defense and hitting improves.

It's amazing how many scoring opportunities this teams wastes. The defense is terrible too. So many botched infield plays.

I still don't trust the bullpen, but so far they've been OK.

The division is up for grabs right now. Hopefully the SOX can take it.

Frontman
05-12-2008, 11:23 PM
My hope is that the experts are right; that Paulie will still hit for career average. That would mean he'd go on a tear for a bit.

I hope that the Sox can finally get some timely hitting from the 1-4 batters when the Sox need them.

I hope that these catching/throwing gaffs drop off and the Sox play some solid defense again.

I hope this isn't a wasted year like 2007 was.

But how do I feel about this season?

It seems hopeless when you watch rock solid, dependable players like Joe Crede throw a ball away and keep an inning going.

Jerome
05-12-2008, 11:26 PM
i hope the pitching stays consistent (besides MB who I'm still not worried about) and the hitting wakes up

those are big IFs

russ99
05-13-2008, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't worry about the Twins. The Tigers and Indians haven't had a hot streak yet, and they will, leaving the Twins in the dust. They just don't have the horses.

The Sox best chance to make the playoffs is by hanging with those two teams all year, and something like a deal at the deadline shoring up a weak spot (CF/2B leadoff?) and/or a late hot streak can nudge them past those 2 teams and get them into the postseason.

soxtalker
05-13-2008, 09:33 AM
While I think that the Sox stand a chance, something has to change. And that's probably what I'd say if I was a fan of one of the other teams (Tigers, Twins, and Indians). I'd figure that there might be a trade or two yet to be made that will end up being important. The Twins probably wouldn't trade for help, but their farm system always seems to have an upside surprise or two.

soxfan21
05-13-2008, 11:28 AM
I hope that we at least finish the season with a winning record, but I really hope that we get a playoff spot whether it be a wild card spot or winning the division. It would just be nice to be in the playoffs again.