PDA

View Full Version : Andruw Jones: "I don't care."

thedudeabides
05-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Now Andruw Jones says he doesn't care about what fans think and doesn't care that he is overweight. He basically says he doesn't care about anything.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-simers11-2008may11,0,532491.column

I remember people here getting angry the Sox didn't sign him and thought that his 2 year deal was a steal.

Not only is he terrible, he is really going out of his way to come off as a jerk.

WhiteSox5187
05-12-2008, 01:35 PM
How he got 36 million, I'll never understand...the guy just isn't that good anymore.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-12-2008, 01:45 PM
How he got 36 million, I'll never understand...the guy just isn't that good anymore.

His 51 HR's a couple of years ago must have still been fresh in the minds of the Dodgers who were desperate for a HR hitter. Last year their leader was Jeff Kent with a whopping 20 HR's.

thomas35forever
05-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Now I'm glad the Sox didn't sign him. This would be the last thing our team needed.

Hendu
05-12-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm glad the Sox aren't on the hook for Jones either, but the journalist who conducted the interview sounds like a real ******* too. This is the type of interview the Moron would conduct if he actually visited the locker room.

getonbckthr
05-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Sounds like a guy who is severely depressed. If I were the Dodgers I would try to get to a Psychatrist. The "I Don't Care" attitude, the weight gain are signs. Something is not right there.

It's Dankerific
05-12-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm glad the Sox aren't on the hook for Jones either, but the journalist who conducted the interview sounds like a real ******* too. This is the type of interview the Moron would conduct if he actually visited the locker room.

I can't imagine the Moron trying to gain support for kids' charity in his column, so I have to disagree with you there.

Hendu
05-12-2008, 02:25 PM
I can't imagine the Moron trying to gain support for kids' charity in his column, so I have to disagree with you there.

I was only referring to the interview. The 'Tubbo' stuff, paraphrasing all of his questions while providing direct quotes from Jones, and bringing his own weight loss into the interview.

jabrch
05-12-2008, 02:25 PM
And there are still people who would rather have him than Juan Pierre...

Hendu
05-12-2008, 02:29 PM

Most of us would rather have neither.

btrain929
05-12-2008, 02:33 PM

This is all in hindsight.

This guy has been up tremendous numbers year in and year out. Last year was his only down year. A 2-year contract would have been a good gamble before the season, and I was one that was mad we didn't pursue him. Obviously now I'm glad we didn't, but if he was putting up Lance Berkman-like numbers, people would be singing a different tune....

It's Dankerific
05-12-2008, 02:36 PM
I was only referring to the interview. The 'Tubbo' stuff, paraphrasing all of his questions while providing direct quotes from Jones, and bringing his own weight loss into the interview.

I don't know, seems like 'Tubbo' was telling him what he could quote and write. I don't know if you need to post, as a journalist, I said "why dont you care" and he said "blah blah blah". If you're writing it, you not paraphrasing yourself, you writing first person. In order to be accurate, quotes of the interviewee would make the most sense to me.

gosox41
05-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Now Andruw Jones says he doesn't care about what fans think and doesn't care that he is overweight. He basically says he doesn't care about anything.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-simers11-2008may11,0,532491.column

I remember people here getting angry the Sox didn't sign him and thought that his 2 year deal was a steal.

Not only is he terrible, he is really going out of his way to come off as a jerk.

People thought that. He always has lacked heart. He;s just collecting checks right now.

Bob

spiffie
05-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Once you get to the level of awfulness that $18M for Andruw Jones of $11M for Juan Pierre are at, it really doesn't matter which pile of **** you dive into.

jabrch
05-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Jones is hitting .268 - that's not bad...

What?

You say he is SLG .268?

Oops...

oeo
05-12-2008, 04:24 PM
He sounds like an immature piece of ****. When are you going to grow up Andruw?

btrain929
05-12-2008, 04:31 PM
He sounds like an immature piece of ****. When are you going to grow up Andruw?

Same time he sheds those fat babycheeks......never.

JorgeFabregas
05-12-2008, 04:35 PM
It was a high-risk, high-reward signing. I imagine the Dodgers knew that going in. At least they're not saddled with a long-term deal.

fquaye149
05-12-2008, 04:48 PM
:rolleyes: at everyone getting duped by the title of this thread and the author's obvious bias.

What at all is wrong with this statement:
"Don't you care that the fans in Dodger Stadium have turned on you?"

"No," he said. "That's their problem."

The fans are booing him. What's wrong with him saying that he doesn't care about that and that's his problem.

There are three things you can say if the fans boo you:

a.) **** them. They shouldn't be booing their players
b.) They have their right to boo, but that's their problem, not mine.
c.) I'm really really really sorry that I'm playing bad. I'm really sad the fans are booing me, etc.

a.) would be a bad statement, but it seems to me that b.) is right in the middle.

"I don't care," he said. "You play for the team, you don't play for the fans. The fans never played the game. They don't know."

This is slightly bad, but it's clearly not as bad as the thread title and author of the article want it to be.

He's not saying he doesn't care that he's playing poorly. I'm sure he cares that he sucks right now. He just doesn't care that jackass fans are booing him (fans shouldn't boo their own players except for a lack of effort) or that douchebag sportswriters are constantly ripping him. That seems like a pretty reasonable reaction :rolleyes:

BadBobbyJenks
05-12-2008, 04:59 PM
I wish we would have given 90 million over 5 years. We would have embraced him!

rocky biddle
05-12-2008, 05:07 PM
This guy seems like the typical 21st century controversy-peddling sports journalist. But I'll give him credit for one thing, at least he said that stuff to Jones' face. That's something the "tough guy journalist" from the Scum-Times would never dare do.

fquaye149
05-12-2008, 05:13 PM
This guy seems like the typical 21st century controversy-peddling sports journalist. But I'll give him credit for one thing, at least he said that stuff to Jones' face. That's something the "tough guy journalist" from the Scum-Times would never dare do.

As long as people continue to just read the headlines and ignore context of quotes, people like this guy and Mariotti will continue to distort the truth and make money off it.

Is Andruw Jones a lousy hitter? This year he sure is

Does Andruw Jones seem to have gotten lazier? It appears so

Does Andruw Jones "not care about his poor performance"? IT doesn't seem like he said anything to indicate that.

FedEx227
05-12-2008, 05:13 PM
This is all in hindsight.

This guy has been up tremendous numbers year in and year out. Last year was his only down year. A 2-year contract would have been a good gamble before the season, and I was one that was mad we didn't pursue him. Obviously now I'm glad we didn't, but if he was putting up Lance Berkman-like numbers, people would be singing a different tune....

But it was an alarmingly bad year... even Paul Konerko's 2003 looks good compared to what Jones did last year. And it's a sight thing too, you could see he was letting himself go, you could see he was half of the CFer he use to be.

fquaye149
05-12-2008, 05:15 PM
But it was an alarmingly bad year... even Paul Konerko's 2003 looks good compared to what Jones did last year. And it's a sight thing too, you could see he was letting himself go, you could see he was half of the CFer he use to be.

But his power wasn't down nearly as much as it is this year. He still had a "slightly below average" year last year rather than a "completely ****ty year" which he seems to be shaping up to be having it.

Yes, LA is a pitcher's park, but Atlanta's not exactly GABP

The Immigrant
05-12-2008, 05:36 PM
http://unsportsmanlikecomment.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/scott.jpg

"Another satisfied customer."

Jjav829
05-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Simers comes off as a dick. I'm sure Jones is probably frustrated as hell. You have to wonder what has caused him to go south so quickly. Players don't usually have such a steep decline at the age of 30-31 (real age? maybe not?). Is it his poor hitting mechanics catching up to him as he gets older? A lack of conditioning? A lack of PEDs?

It's an abnormal decline, for sure.

Jjav829
05-12-2008, 08:11 PM

Once again....The Dodgers needed power. They didn't need scrappy Juan Pierre with his hitting for (a very mediocre) average and stealing bases at a crappy rate. Their leading HR hitter hit 20 HRs last year! 20! Andruw hasn't hit less than 26 HRs since 1997, when he hit 18 HRs in 399 ABs as a 20-year-old.

Why is this so hard to comprehend? They have a much superior leadoff candidate in Rafael Furcal. They have two better outfielders in Kemp and Ethier. The only thing lacking was someone in the middle of the order who could knock the **** out of the ball.

The fact that he's struggling now doesn't change the fact that the logic behind the signing was perfectly reasonable. You can throw out all the current stats you want, but you're criticizing a guy who is playing by far the worst baseball of his career. His 2008 OPS is almost 300 ****ing points lower than his career! That doesn't even qualify as a slump it's so bad.

It's just a ridiculous argument. You're comparing Juan Pierre when he is playing far above his career norms to Andruw Jones, who is playing far below his career norms, and acting like it proves some point. This would be akin to if I was to argue that Cliff Lee is a better pitcher than Justin Verlander. It's pointless to compare guys when they are playing far below or above their abilities.

BTW, the great Juan Pierre is already down to a .281 AVG and a .360 OBP.

fquaye149
05-12-2008, 08:36 PM
I don't know why it's even an issue.

Jones was available to us.

Pierre was not, except hypothetically.

jabrch
05-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Once again....The Dodgers needed power. They didn't need scrappy Juan Pierre with his hitting for (a very mediocre) average and stealing bases at a crappy rate.

blah blah blah...

BTW, the great Juan Pierre is already down to a .281 AVG and a .360 OBP.

The Dodgers already had Juan Pierre. They needed another OF like hey needed a hole in the head. And a fat, lazy one was even less a need. They did us a huge favor if KW was ever actually pursuing him.

And the "great Juan Pierre" (note you are saying that, not me) would have the third highest average and the second highest OBP of anyone starting for us. Had we gotten him on the cheap, after the dodgers got Jones, we wouldn't have made the Swisher deal and we would have been much better off.

TheOldRoman
05-12-2008, 10:46 PM
The Dodgers already had Juan Pierre. They needed another OF like hey needed a hole in the head. And a fat, lazy one was even less a need. They did us a huge favor if KW was ever actually pursuing him.

And the "great Juan Pierre" (note you are saying that, not me) would have the third highest average and the second highest OBP of anyone starting for us. Had we gotten him on the cheap, after the dodgers got Jones, we wouldn't have made the Swisher deal and we would have been much better off.The "who is worse" argument is pointless. To borrow a line from Triumph the Insult Comic Dog "Pierre or Jones, which one do I pick? It's like choosing which puddle of vomit to lick."

Jones was an awful, awful signing. He came into his contract year in 2007 out of shape and had a terrible year. If this guy can't get up for a contract year, when he can position himself to make tens of millions of dollars more, that should raise an eyebrow. Not surprisingly, he is fatter than last year and struggling mightily. The only saving grace is that its only a 2 year deal, so they can *hope* he comes into camp in shape and motivated next year in another contract year.

Pierre is just not a very good player. If he could draw more walks and play respectable defense, he would be fine. He doesn't walk much, and his defense makes Podsednik look like Willie Mays. He would be terrible for the Sox. We gave up a few prospects, including a corners OF with no power and a "future hall of fame pitcher" for Swisher, and no matter how much he is struggling, that deal is much better for the Sox than getting Pierre. Swisher is a FAR superior player to Pierre, both defensively and offensively.

If you want to have a conversation about how much Andruw is sucking right now, I will join in. Just don't use his horrible contract as a way of saying the horrible contract of Pierre was any better.

jabrch
05-12-2008, 11:00 PM
If you want to have a conversation about how much Andruw is sucking right now, I will join in. Just don't use his horrible contract as a way of saying the horrible contract of Pierre was any better.

I'd be happy to discuss Jones' suckitude if you want. But at the same time, I am not wiling to concede that Pierre, with a .280/.360 line, and with LA eating some of that contract, wouldn't help us. You don't have to agree - of course - but that neither makes you wrong or right.

fquaye149
05-12-2008, 11:06 PM
:rolleyes:

good grief. It takes two to tango.

You don't just turn on the ****ing playstation and get the guy you want.

This is worse than the "we should have traded for Coco Crisp" crap

Jerome
05-12-2008, 11:09 PM
I suspect PEDs

I remember watching him in his rookie year in the world series, what an exciting player

chisoxmike
05-12-2008, 11:20 PM

:rolling: That's great.

thedudeabides
05-12-2008, 11:31 PM
:rolleyes: at everyone getting duped by the title of this thread and the author's obvious bias.

What at all is wrong with this statement:

The fans are booing him. What's wrong with him saying that he doesn't care about that and that's his problem.

There are three things you can say if the fans boo you:

a.) **** them. They shouldn't be booing their players
b.) They have their right to boo, but that's their problem, not mine.
c.) I'm really really really sorry that I'm playing bad. I'm really sad the fans are booing me, etc.

a.) would be a bad statement, but it seems to me that b.) is right in the middle.

This is slightly bad, but it's clearly not as bad as the thread title and author of the article want it to be.

He's not saying he doesn't care that he's playing poorly. I'm sure he cares that he sucks right now. He just doesn't care that jackass fans are booing him (fans shouldn't boo their own players except for a lack of effort) or that douchebag sportswriters are constantly ripping him. That seems like a pretty reasonable reaction :rolleyes:

I'll agree the writer seemed to ambush him a bit, and I hate that type of journalism, but it is no reason to condone his attitude. And I only titled the thread this way because he used the quote numerous times in the article, but go ahead and ignore Andruw's actions. :rolleyes:

I guess your right the people booing him are "jackass fans" because he got signed to a huge contract, showed up fat, is lazy, and a selfish hitter, but what gives them the right? As Andruw said "they've never played the game." You're right, he deserves the benefit of the doubt here.

fquaye149
05-13-2008, 12:00 AM
I'll agree the writer seemed to ambush him a bit, and I hate that type of journalism, but it is no reason to condone his attitude. And I only titled the thread this way because he used the quote numerous times in the article, but go ahead and ignore Andruw's actions. :rolleyes:

I guess your right the people booing him are "jackass fans" because he got signed to a huge contract, showed up fat, is lazy, and a selfish hitter, but what gives them the right? As Andruw said "they've never played the game." You're right, he deserves the benefit of the doubt here.

What benefit of the doubt? Your thread title says "Andruw Jones doesn't care" which strongly implies that he "doesn't care" that he sucks.

That's not the case. Like I said, my personal opinion is that fans shouldn't boo players for anything but lack of effort, but even if you disagree with that, the fact that "Andruw Jones doesn't care if people boo him" is hardly a capital offense among athletes. Unlike the offense that your thread title (and the article author's slant) implies, that "Andruw Jones doesn't care" if he plays badly, which is almost certainly not the case.

But go ahead and ignore the author of this article's lack of journalistic integrity. Or better yet: emulate it!

Clearly we all wish we made the big money athletes make. But Andruw Jones has been making that big money for a while and he has played hard the entire time. So now he makes 18 million instead of 10 million and THAT'S made him fat and lazy?

Or maybe it's the fact that he's getting older that would explain why he's put on weight and lost some of his athletic ability. But no. That couldn't be it. It must be that a guy who's been a completely excellent performer for years, playing a CF that many people compare to the CF played by Mays, and hitting excellently--EVEN WHILE MAKING MILLIONS OF DOLLARS--has become lazy all of a sudden because....what? Yeah...he became lazy in a contract year? He's lazy now because he's making slightly more than he was 2 years ago?

Andruw Jones made 13 million in 2005 and hit 50 HR. He made 13.5 million in 2006 and hit 40 HR. Then he made 14 million in 2007 and hit 26 HR and .220. Now he's making a whole 5 million more and is hitting even worse. But it's definitely not the fact that he's getting older (something that's happening to Travis Hafner as we speak). It's definitely that he's greedy and lazy and fat and stupid and ugly

Fans these days are entitled **** head. "We deserve to be classless morons and boo people who play for our favorite teams because they do something at a level and at a level of scrutiny we could never understand in our life. We deserve a winner. We deserve our hitters never to go through slumps. We deserve for JR (or some other owner) to spend 200 million dollars and we deserve to call him cheap if he doesn't."

GMAMFB

thedudeabides
05-13-2008, 12:30 AM
What benefit of the doubt? Your thread title says "Andruw Jones doesn't care" which strongly implies that he "doesn't care" that he sucks.

That's not the case. Like I said, my personal opinion is that fans shouldn't boo players for anything but lack of effort, but even if you disagree with that, the fact that "Andruw Jones doesn't care if people boo him" is hardly a capital offense among athletes. Unlike the offense that your thread title (and the article author's slant) implies, that "Andruw Jones doesn't care" if he plays badly, which is almost certainly not the case.

But go ahead and ignore the author of this article's lack of journalistic integrity. Or better yet: emulate it!

Clearly we all wish we made the big money athletes make. But Andruw Jones has been making that big money for a while and he has played hard the entire time. So now he makes 18 million instead of 10 million and THAT'S made him fat and lazy?

Or maybe it's the fact that he's getting older that would explain why he's put on weight and lost some of his athletic ability. But no. That couldn't be it. It must be that a guy who's been a completely excellent performer for years, playing a CF that many people compare to the CF played by Mays, and hitting excellently--EVEN WHILE MAKING MILLIONS OF DOLLARS--has become lazy all of a sudden because....what? Yeah...he became lazy in a contract year? He's lazy now because he's making slightly more than he was 2 years ago?

Andruw Jones made 13 million in 2005 and hit 50 HR. He made 13.5 million in 2006 and hit 40 HR. Then he made 14 million in 2007 and hit 26 HR and .220. Now he's making a whole 5 million more and is hitting even worse. But it's definitely not the fact that he's getting older (something that's happening to Travis Hafner as we speak). It's definitely that he's greedy and lazy and fat and stupid and ugly

Fans these days are entitled **** head. "We deserve to be classless morons and boo people who play for our favorite teams because they do something at a level and at a level of scrutiny we could never understand in our life. We deserve a winner. We deserve our hitters never to go through slumps. We deserve for JR (or some other owner) to spend 200 million dollars and we deserve to call him cheap if he doesn't."

GMAMFB

He has been a great player in the past and he has earned his money. But to say fans are just jealous of his money and ability, so that doesn't give them the right to boo is ridiculous. They are booing him because he showed up overweight and is lazy. They have that right. If you think he is playing "Willie Mays defense" still, you just haven't watched him play. Most players don't fizzle out at 30-31 years old.

If you don't like the journalist's point of view, I'm fine with that. But, I put it in the title to alert people of what he said over and over again. If you don't like that, I'm also fine with that. It's also irresponsible to just ignore comments like these.

I'm also not sure were I called out JR or players for not being I want them to be, so I'm not sure what your point is other than fans don't have a right to their opinion. If that's your outlook why are you posting on a fans message board?

chaerulez
05-13-2008, 12:31 AM
I don't know why it's even an issue.

Jones was available to us.

Pierre was not, except hypothetically.

But Pierre is fast! He steals! He's small and scrappy! Just what the White Sox! Ozzie Ball!

fquaye149
05-13-2008, 12:38 AM
He has been a great player in the past and he has earned his money. But to say fans are just jealous of his money and ability, so that doesn't give them the right to boo is ridiculous. They are booing him because he showed up overweight and is lazy.

I would buy that if he "showed up overweight". He's BEEN overweight. He was overweight when they signed the deal. And I never said that fans are "just jealous of his money and ability." I said they resent him for the money and think that the fact that he makes lots of money gives them the right to act like classless dip****s.

They have that right.

They have the right to behave like jackasses. You're absolutely right. I don't dispute that.

If you think he is playing "Willie Mays defense" still, you just haven't watched him play.
And if you had read what I'd written you'd see that I don't think that :rolleyes:

Most players don't fizzle out at 30-31 years old.
But some do. Many people don't get fat at age 30. Some do. Many players can play until they're 35 without a huge loss of productivity. Some can't. Is Konerko lazy? Or maybe just maybe is he just getting old and losing some batspeed?

That's not necessarily what's going on with Jones, but if he was going to get lazy and therefore bad, how has he been incredibly good until 2007? 2007 was the first lousy year of his career. What made him all of a sudden GET LAZY, and in a CONTRACT YEAR? Money? No. Don't buy it.

If you don't like the journalist's point of view, I'm fine with that. But, I put it in the title to alert people of what he said over and over again. If you don't like that, I'm also fine with that. It's also irresponsible to just ignore comments like these.

I don't like the journalist's POV. But that's not my problem. My problem is your misrepresentation of the quotation. And if you can't understand why and how your title (and the journalist's pov) misrepresent those quotes, then your writing and critical thinking skills are extremely poor.

I'm also not sure were I called out JR or players for not being I want them to be, so I'm not sure what your point is other than fans don't have a right to their opinion. If that's your outlook why are you posting on a fans message board?

Fan's have a right to an opinion. But that doesn't mean their opinion isn't superficial, selfish, idiotic, etc. when applicable.

There's some stupid sense of entitlement sweeping the nation wherein because someone has a rudimentary conception of the tenets of capitalism (i.e. "DERRRR I'm paying der salries") that gives him carte blanche to express himself in whatever braying obnoxious way he sees fit.

And that when he's called out for that he says "well I'm just expressing my opinion," or "I'm just a straight shooter, being true to myself, telling it like it is," as if it makes up for that childish, self-indulgent, narrow-minded point of view

D. TODD
05-13-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm no real fan of Andruw Jones, but as others have stated I find the writer to be the clear ******** here, and not Jones. He is sucking it up and getting booed, so he pays the fans as little attention as possible and goes on with his job. Seems okay with me. BOO the ass of a writer for being unprofessional in my opinion.

TheVulture
05-17-2008, 04:08 PM
I said they resent him for the money and think that the fact that he makes lots of money gives them the right to act like classless dip****s.

The fans are the people paying his salary. If he isn't putting up the effort that 40,000 people a game are paying him for, then he should hear it if the fans are so inclined.

fquaye149
05-17-2008, 05:31 PM
The fans are the people paying his salary. If he isn't putting up the effort that 40,000 people a game are paying him for, then he should hear it if the fans are so inclined.

The fans aren't the people paying his salary. The owners are.

The fans pay the owner's salary. If the fans want to show their lack of appreciation, show it to the owners by not showing up. Otherwise show up and support the team, which includes players who aren't playing well.

If you want to boo a lack of effort, fine. But if a player's not playing well because they just aren't any good anymore, it's a pretty bushleague move to boo them

":whiner::whiner::whiner: but they make more than me :whiner::whiner::whiner:."

A thousand violins to the poor, underappreciated peanut gallery :rolleyes: