PDA

View Full Version : Rays 5 over .500 for first time in history...fans stay away

Fenway
05-12-2008, 01:24 PM
The Tampa Bay Rays are now 5 games over 500 for the first time in their 11 year history.....but the fans are not showing up

Rays winning, but attendance woes continue (http://blogs.tampabay.com/ballpark/2008/05/rays-winning-bu.html)

and the St Pete Times has found a picture what The Trop was supposed to look like when it was first designed in 1983

http://blogs.tampabay.com/ballpark/images/2008/05/12/sp_288140_ho_raysdesig.jpg

munchman33
05-12-2008, 01:25 PM
The Tampa Bay Rays are now 5 games over 500 for the first time in their 11 year history.....but the fans are not showing up

Rays winning, but attendance woes continue (http://blogs.tampabay.com/ballpark/2008/05/rays-winning-bu.html)

and the St Pete Times has found a picture what The Trop was supposed to look like when it was first designed in 1983

http://blogs.tampabay.com/ballpark/images/2008/05/12/sp_288140_ho_raysdesig.jpg

They'll have to take their lumps in regards to attendance first. If they have a good season, it'll show at the gates...next year.

HomeFish
05-12-2008, 01:25 PM
"Let's build Shea Stadium, but with a giant tent over it!"

WhiteSox5187
05-12-2008, 01:27 PM
It's early May, people don't know if this team is for real or not. Until the Rays show that they can consistently win, people will stay away from the ballpark because a) the park sucks and b) it might not be worth throwing down the money to watch a fluke team. Now if on this date in June the Rays are in the thick of the race, you'll see bigger crowds much like with the Sox in '05. But then again there is always the possibility that perhaps baseball just isn't that big in Tampa.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Do you think the Rays will suffer the same fate as the Expos?

I remember there were a few years when Montreal had a good team and their "ballpark" (I use that term loosely) was very empty.

I'm sure the Trop will be full the next time the Yankees or Sawx are in town.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-12-2008, 01:33 PM
"Let's build Shea Stadium, but with a giant tent over it!"

Didn't Olympic Stadium in Montreal have something like that?

WhiteSox5187
05-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Do you think the Rays will suffer the same fate as the Expos?

I remember there were a few years when Montreal had a good team and their "ballpark" (I use that term loosely) was very empty.

I'm sure the Trop will be full the next time the Yankees or Sawx are in town.
The Expos used to sell out a ton of games in the 1980s and early 1990s, but the strike killed them. Throw on top of that the fact that Loria (is that his name?) essentially drove them out of buisness as an owner and pulled them off of TV, the Expos had virtually no chance. There's a good chance the Rays escape the Expos fate.

It's Dankerific
05-12-2008, 02:11 PM
I think its pretty clear the tampa team needs to be relocated. As I'll be moving to Portland, I have decided that would be a great place for the franchise.

TomBradley72
05-12-2008, 02:39 PM
When a team that has chronically sucked for years gets off to a fast start...it always takes a while for attendance to come around...especially before Memorial Day. In 2005, the White Sox still had games in the 17-18,000 range as late as early June. The real key to solid attendance is season ticket holders anyway...and that takes a year to respond to a turnaround.

Jerko
05-12-2008, 02:41 PM
New Rays stadium rendering.

http://www.tampabay.com/2007/11/28/images/newballpark-400xshallow.jpg

Lip Man 1
05-12-2008, 03:56 PM
The talk about "folding" or moving the Rays started earlier in this decade.

Apparently they have like a 20-30 year lease with St. Pete on the stadium and both Gov. Jeb Bush and many of the Florida state politicians have stated numerous times that if MLB even thinks about folding or moving the team, breaking that long of a stadium deal, they'll be in court so fast it'll make MLB's head swim.

Lip

Viva Medias B's
05-12-2008, 08:56 PM
If the Rays move, it should be to Orlando.

DSpivack
05-12-2008, 09:48 PM

This makes way too much sense to actually happen.

Rays top Yankees tonight 7-1, tie Boston for first (although Sawx are % points ahead).

doublem23
05-12-2008, 09:55 PM

I don't see why... The Tampa Bay and Orlando metro areas are roughly the same size population wise (2.7 mil to 2.6 mil, edge Tampa), but isn't there about 10x more **** to do in Orlando? Are people really going to jet down to Orlando and catch a Rays game?

They just need to move out of that garbage park. A buddy of mine did an internship in St. Petersburg a few summers ago and he says a lot of locals would be more receptive of the team if a) they started playing at worst, mediocre baseball and b) they got a new ballpark.

Looks like they're making headway on #1.

Red Barchetta
05-13-2008, 08:37 AM
As a relatively new Floridian (4 years) and living just 25 miles south of the Trop (Sarasota area), I for one hope they get the green light to build the proposed outdoor ballpark.

As a former SOX season ticket holder in the south burbs, I can honestly say the drive to St. Pete is not only easy, it's beautiful. It's about the same distance (25 miles), however you actually drive, vs. crawl in traffic and the view over the Sunshine Skyway bridge is stunning.

However, once you get there, the scenery changes as there is not much to see inside that ugly dome.

The team is playing well, however the current owners know they need to be able to attract prime free agents if they ever hope to stay competitive on a consistent level.

The current owners IMO have done a good job in trying to attract as many fans as possible. Free parking, you can bring in your own food, etc. They have done everything they can (with the exception of blowing it up) to improve the dome, however everyone now is starting to realize that even Florida baseball is not meant to be played inside on a permanent basis. Rectractable roofs are one thing vs. a completely enclosed concrete shell.
There are a few fans who love the AC, however I think more fans want to the new park.

Due to their current lease with St. Pete, there is no way they would be able to move to Tampa or Orlando or anywhere in between. The St. Pete Mayor will only support a lease renegotation if the team builds in St. Pete. The current new ballpark proposal apparently comes with no costs to the taxpayers as all funding will come the proposed sale and development of the land where the Trop is currently located. The primary obstacle are the current condo owners who have units near the bay. Their views and real estate values are at risk if the new ballpark is built at the proposed Al Lang field.

However, the current governor; Charlie Crist likes the idea and supports the ballpark. (And he also owns a condo next to where the ballpark would be built)

soxfanatlanta
05-13-2008, 08:49 AM

And compete with the mouse and the other theme parks? That would be a disaster.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-13-2008, 09:19 AM

It almost happened to the Sox. Look at the picture on the left that is under "Two more reasons to love Jerry Reinsdorf" (http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/EmbarassingMoments.htm)

Fenway
05-13-2008, 09:30 AM
The park should have been built near the Gandy Bridge

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=gandy+bridge+st+petersburg&sll=13.359445,121.826942&sspn=0.009687,0.01545&ie=UTF8&ll=27.893405,-82.576332&spn=0.140794,0.247192&t=h&z=12

Fenway
05-13-2008, 09:55 AM
YIKES they only drew 13,932 for the Yankees :o:

Rays rout Yankees to move half-game out of first (http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/article502079.ece)

VeeckAsInWreck
05-13-2008, 10:11 AM
YIKES they only drew 13,932 for the Yankees :o:

Rays rout Yankees to move half-game out of first (http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/article502079.ece)

:shocked: That is surprising since normally the Yankees draw a large crowd there.

Bump34
05-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Maybe all the Yankees fans stayed home because they knew they were going to be beat!!!:gulp:

VA_GoGoSox
05-13-2008, 04:12 PM
The fans down here are just extremely fair-weather. The Bucs didn't draw anybody until they finally got good a few years ago. The USF football team hasn't really drawn well, but after last year's showing they have already sold a ton of season tix for the fall. The people down here will support a winner, but will completely ignore a team that is awful. There is definitely a buzz starting about the Rays, and if they're still in it in July they will start drawing respectable crowds.

gogosox16
05-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Maybe all the Yankees fans stayed home because they knew they were going to be beat!!!:gulp:
that would be the first time in the history of the D-Rays/Rays extinction that that would of happened

DSpivack
05-13-2008, 09:46 PM
They just beat the Yankees 2-1 in 11, move into sole possession of first place at 23-16.

doublem23
05-13-2008, 11:28 PM
that would be the first time in the history of the D-Rays/Rays extinction that that would of happened

:scratch:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/images/2008/02/21/confused.jpg

Red Barchetta
05-14-2008, 09:57 AM
The fans down here are just extremely fair-weather. The Bucs didn't draw anybody until they finally got good a few years ago. The USF football team hasn't really drawn well, but after last year's showing they have already sold a ton of season tix for the fall. The people down here will support a winner, but will completely ignore a team that is awful. There is definitely a buzz starting about the Rays, and if they're still in it in July they will start drawing respectable crowds.

I've noticed that too, however similar to Arizona, North Carolina and other growth areas, most of the people here are from somewhere else. Unlike Chicago, Boston, New York, etc. you are not going to meet generations of Rays fans. There basically is no history to build on.

The local sports stores split shelf space between the Rays, Yankees and Red Sox. Tampa is basically New York South for Yankees fans and with the Red Sox now considering a spring training development project in Sarasota (and moving out of Ft. Myers), I will literally be surround by Yankees fans (north) and Red Sox fans (south) during spring training. :(:

tlebar318
05-14-2008, 11:03 AM

I think they would do fine in Orlando. I live here and I know I would go alot....They just did a 3 game regular season series with Toronto here and it went over well. If they keep winning the attendance will come.