PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers MLB Power Rankings

Fenway
05-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Has the White Sox at 11th...highest of any AL Central Team

Phil Rogers' MLB power rankings (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/05/phil-rogers-m-1.html)

Boston has the most wins at the quarter pole with 24 but the big shocks are Florida and Oakland

I am beginning to think Detroit may have more problems than we know. The Twins are winning somehow.

russ99
05-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Has the White Sox at 11th...highest of any AL Central Team

Phil Rogers' MLB power rankings (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/05/phil-rogers-m-1.html)

Boston has the most wins at the quarter pole with 24 but the big shocks are Florida and Oakland

I am beginning to think Detroit may have more problems than we know. The Twins are winning somehow.

Cubs #3?? :rolleyes:

Keep building your case, Phil.

DumpJerry
05-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Remember, media power ratings determine who gets to play in the playoffs.

fquaye149
05-12-2008, 12:05 PM
yet another example of Phil Rogers being ignorant, lazy, and pandering.

What has become of him?

getonbckthr
05-12-2008, 01:22 PM
How is Arizona ranked ahead of the Cubs? Arizona is a half game better but the Cubs just swept them. Sure they didn't face Webb but Arizona didn't face Zambrano? Marlins have the best record in baseball and are 9th? 2 teams no closer than 3 games are ranked ahead of Florida? I know its meaningless power rankings but at least make some sense.

WhiteSox5187
05-12-2008, 01:32 PM

I hate to break it to you, but the Cubs are pretty good this year. They just swept the Diamondbacks, who are one of the (I don't know if they still had the best record going into that series) best teams in baseball. I don't really have a problem with putting the Cubs three, especially with the way their pitching has looked of late.

esbrechtel
05-12-2008, 02:41 PM
I believe the Sox were as high as 3 earlier this season...his rankings come out every monday...sometimes they are buried in the sports section.

LoveYourSuit
05-12-2008, 03:06 PM

Wow, I might hate the Cubs as much as the next guy in line here but to be fair the Cubs are probably the best team in a bad NL. They should be a top 5 team in MLB.

oeo
05-12-2008, 03:39 PM
I hate to break it to you, but the Cubs are pretty good this year. They just swept the Diamondbacks, who are one of the (I don't know if they still had the best record going into that series) best teams in baseball. I don't really have a problem with putting the Cubs three, especially with the way their pitching has looked of late.

We just heard this one a couple of weeks ago when they won two games against the Mets. They were then headed to the World Series, but instead went back towards mediocrity.

One series = meaningless. I would not trust Marquis, Lieber, or Dempster...and Lilly is not a #2.

spiffie
05-12-2008, 03:51 PM
We just heard this one a couple of weeks ago when they won two games against the Mets. They were then headed to the World Series, but instead went back towards mediocrity.

One series = meaningless. I would not trust Marquis, Lieber, or Dempster...and Lilly is not a #2.
They're not a great team, but who in the NL is objectively better than them? The D-Backs seem to be, but they did just get swept by the Cubs. The Mets seem like they should be, but they are still having trouble getting untracked. The Marlins are the hottest team in the NL, but for every question the Cubs have the Marlins have two. The Cardinals are just as smoke-and-mirror like right now.

I still like the D-Backs in a best of 5 or 7 series when they can throw a steady diet of Webb and Haren at people, but beyond that it really is hard to think of another team that is definitely stronger than the Cubs right now. More an indictment of the NL than an endorsement of the Cubs.

russ99
05-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Wow, I might hate the Cubs as much as the next guy in line here but to be fair the Cubs are probably the best team in a bad NL. They should be a top 5 team in MLB.

Typical Cub-like attitude. Just because they won the last 3 games vs. Arizona (who choked away leads in all 3 games) doesn't wipe away that god-awful road trip where the overall pitching was really suspect, except for Zambrano.

They are far from the best team in the NL, which in my book right now is St. Louis. When they can beat anyone away from Wrigley, then I'd consider them in the top 5 in the NL. I can think of about 6-8 AL teams that are better than them right now.

balke
05-13-2008, 09:39 AM
They're not a great team, but who in the NL is objectively better than them? The D-Backs seem to be, but they did just get swept by the Cubs. The Mets seem like they should be, but they are still having trouble getting untracked. The Marlins are the hottest team in the NL, but for every question the Cubs have the Marlins have two. The Cardinals are just as smoke-and-mirror like right now.

I still like the D-Backs in a best of 5 or 7 series when they can throw a steady diet of Webb and Haren at people, but beyond that it really is hard to think of another team that is definitely stronger than the Cubs right now. More an indictment of the NL than an endorsement of the Cubs.

Anyone can sweep anyone at anytime. The 2003 White Sox got swept by that godawful Detroit team.

Cubs are good, I don't think they have the pitching to be better than Arizona. Phillies have better hitting overall, they just need to get healthy. The Mets are also better than the Cubs. The Braves may be as good as them. Cards will also stay with the Cubs the majority of the season.

spiffie
05-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Anyone can sweep anyone at anytime. The 2003 White Sox got swept by that godawful Detroit team.

Cubs are good, I don't think they have the pitching to be better than Arizona. Phillies have better hitting overall, they just need to get healthy. The Mets are also better than the Cubs. The Braves may be as good as them. Cards will also stay with the Cubs the majority of the season.
Phillies have better hitting, but their pitching is even more suspect than the Cubs, and that's saying something. The Mets should be better than the Cubs, but so far they don't seem to playing up to their own skill set. The Braves are another legit #2 team. The Cards will be a surprise if they are still in the hunt at the ASB.

It's Time
05-13-2008, 10:04 AM
They are far from the best team in the NL, which in my book right now is St. Louis. When they can beat anyone away from Wrigley, then I'd consider them in the top 5 in the NL. .

The Cardinals? You have to be kidding. I just looked at their rotation and it features the likes of Pineiro and Wellemeyer. The Cards will be lucky to finish 3rd in that division. I look for the Stros to completely blow past the Cards.

Once again, if we put our Cubs hatred aside, the comment about them not being a top 5 NL team is borderline ludicrous.

They are 5-0 against the D-backs and Mets, the two teams many think have a good chance to win the NL pennant.

soxpride724
05-13-2008, 02:29 PM
I guess when you play in the NFC..I mean National League anything is possible,lol.

chaerulez
05-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Typical Cub-like attitude. Just because they won the last 3 games vs. Arizona (who choked away leads in all 3 games) doesn't wipe away that god-awful road trip where the overall pitching was really suspect, except for Zambrano.

They are far from the best team in the NL, which in my book right now is St. Louis. When they can beat anyone away from Wrigley, then I'd consider them in the top 5 in the NL. I can think of about 6-8 AL teams that are better than them right now.

If you want to talk about a suspect rotation, it'd be the Cardinals who are performing over expectations.