PDA

View Full Version : Last Night's Game

hold2dibber
05-02-2002, 09:57 AM
I was at the game last night, and it was nasty out there. But who cares, we got the W. A couple observations:

(1) PK was hilarious when he wouldn't leave the field during the final rain delay. He was kind of kicking the dirt on the pitcher's mound and near the third base line like a little kid who didn't want to stop playing, weather be damned. And he was right, it was barely drizzling. A great moment.

(2) I know this is kind of nit-picky, but Manuel's refusal to make late inning substitutions really pissed me off again. It's the 7th inning, we're up 3-2 and Alomar gets on first to lead off the inning. How do you not pinch run for him in that situation? He was a critical run at that point. He has Clayton lay down a bunt, so now we have man on second, one out. We need this run, but Alomar isn't going to be able to get home (especially in last night's conditions) on a single (particularly if it's hit to Suzuki in right); why wouldn't you pinch run Rowand or Graffanino? Unless Mark Johnson was for some reason unavailable, Manuel's failure to pinch run was inexcusable (although he got away with it).

Paulwny
05-02-2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
(2) I know this is kind of nit-picky, but Manuel's refusal to make late inning substitutions really pissed me off again. It's the 7th inning, we're up 3-2 and Alomar gets on first to lead off the inning. How do you not pinch run for him in that situation? He was a critical run at that point. He has Clayton lay down a bunt, so now we have man on second, one out. We need this run, but Alomar isn't going to be able to get home (especially in last night's conditions) on a single (particularly if it's hit to Suzuki in right); why wouldn't you pinch run Rowand or Graffanino? Unless Mark Johnson was for some reason unavailable, Manuel's failure to pinch run was inexcusable (although he got away with it).

I think Jm's thinking is, "I'm afraid of a possible injury".
If he pinch runs for Alomar and Johnson then gets hurt , who'll catch, effectively?

Soxboyrob
05-02-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny

I think Jm's thinking is, "I'm afraid of a possible injury".
If he pinch runs for Alomar and Johnson then gets hurt , who'll catch, effectively?

This is what I've surmised is that The Jer is somehow afraid he'll put Mark Johnson in there and then lose him to injury and be left with nobody to catch. Don't we have a backup, 3rd string catcher just in case of emergency? I remember back in the early '90's when that was Joey Cora's job.

doctor30th
05-02-2002, 10:32 AM
Actually I do think Graffinino is our unofficial emergency catcher. He caught a couple of games in spring training 2001.

And Konerko was drafted as a catcher, though I think he has a degenerative hip that stops him from doing it on an everyday basis. And he hasn't done it in eons.

Paulwny
05-02-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

This is what I've surmised is that The Jer is somehow afraid he'll put Mark Johnson in there and then lose him to injury and be left with nobody to catch. Don't we have a backup, 3rd string catcher just in case of emergency? I remember back in the early '90's when that was Joey Cora's job.

I think Konerko could catch in an emergency.

FanOf14
05-02-2002, 12:51 PM
Actually doctor30 was right, Paul can't (and he has said that a few times before that him catching would never happen again). If I read the article I saw it correctly, it could have crippling effects if he does, now whether that was just catching once or many times in a row, it wasn't clear.

RedPinStripes
05-02-2002, 01:51 PM
Just like in 2000, Manuel is getting bailed out from the offense while doing a ****ty job of managing.

If someone got hurt, Paul would be up here.

Paulwny
05-02-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Just like in 2000, Manuel is getting bailed out from the offense while doing a ****ty job of managing.

If someone got hurt, Paul would be up here.

Of course Paul would be called up. The question is , if they pinch ran for Alomar and then Johnson was injured, who would catch the rest of the game?