PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "Your [Co-] First Place Chicago White Sox" 5/10/08 Postgame Thread

Viva Medias B's
05-11-2008, 12:08 AM
:winner

It was not easy, but we got the win.

NDSox12
05-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Nice to be back in first place. Any chance the Sox can get a couple extra games scheduled in Seattle, just for Anderson's sake?

Sockinchisox
05-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Also a game over .500.

I think this Quentin guy is a keeper. :tongue:

chisoxfanatic
05-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Let's hope that they can stay above .500 for the rest of the year. That game looked very good, especially BA's towering HR and that "fake to third, fake to first" play.

Let's sweep them tomorrow afternoon!

drewcifer
05-11-2008, 12:12 AM
This team is driving me crazy...

Good win; GREAT QUENTIN.

I love that kid....

*Edit - Thank you Dotel for not ****ing up and ****ting your pants and blowing this game. Well, thanks to Uribe anyway, from saving you... But I meant your pitching, hot-plate.

johnnyg83
05-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Nice -- 4 of 5

BoysMom3
05-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Great win!! Exciting game, and I'm glad it's over!!! Awesome job BA!!!!

October26
05-11-2008, 12:14 AM
Sox win! Yay! Great play by Juan and Toby throwing out Ichiro at home. Dotel had a nice outing (okay - a little shaky) and The Carlos Quentin did his thing. Almost forgot about BA and his impressive bat! Great game and a great win!

Tragg
05-11-2008, 12:15 AM
I didn't realize that TCQ was leading the AL in homers. Way to go, TCQ.

Nice to see Swisher get a couple of hits.
And BA....Safeco must be his favorite park
Do it again tomorrow....this team is begging to be swept.

sox1970
05-11-2008, 12:15 AM
2 down. 8 to go.

voodoochile
05-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Another night with double digit hits?

BA with a 3-run bomb?

TCQ proving he's not just an April fluke?

Swish with a couple of hits?

Uribe walks twice?

and bobby gets the night off... nice...

:winner

:twinslose:

:supernana:

:)

cheezheadsoxfan
05-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Nice win. Swish looks to be coming out of his funk, BA still looking good and TCQ ....words fail me.:D:

UofCSoxFan
05-11-2008, 12:18 AM
Good win....Good to see some contributions from the bench. Javy looked really good until he ran out of gas in the 6th. The bullpen looks like its coming together too.

I tell ya...what a difference a couple of days make. This is a pretty big trip for us with some very winable games and a tough matchup with LAA....going in I was hoping for 6-4 and these two wins are a great start.

And as many people know, I am far from a fan of BA (I root for him and think he is a solid bench player but lack the love of some of you) but I think he is making it hard to keep him on the bench. Whether or not he can start every day remains to be seen but he desrves to be out ther at 3 or 4 days a week the way he is playing.

DumpJerry
05-11-2008, 12:19 AM
I just ordered a dozen blow up dolls to be shipped to the Sox' clubhouse tomorrow.

Keep up the good work!

JermaineDye05
05-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Quentin is playing like an allstar right now, they really need to fix that ballot.

sox1970
05-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Quentin is playing like an allstar right now, they really need to fix that ballot.

Francona will pick him if he keeps this up.

Tragg
05-11-2008, 12:21 AM
2 down. 8 to go.
That's right - we go to Frisco on this roadtrip - forgot about that. Boy they are starting interleague early.

UofCSoxFan
05-11-2008, 12:21 AM
How much nicer is it trying to figure out how to get enough playing time for BA, TCQ, JD, Swisher, Thome and PK than trying to piece together a lineup with warm boddies like we did last year.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-11-2008, 12:28 AM
I have to stop listening to the post-game show. Nice win, got a streak going, BA coming around, even Uribe not sucking and goofs calling in to bitch about Buehrle. It's getting embarassing. :gah:

wsgdf
05-11-2008, 12:29 AM
What did Buehrle do?

cheezheadsoxfan
05-11-2008, 12:32 AM
What did Buehrle do?

Some people want something to bitch about. Another night someone said we should send Mark down and bring up Broadway. :rolleyes:

chisoxfanatic
05-11-2008, 12:34 AM
I tell ya...what a difference a couple of days make. This is a pretty big trip for us with some very winable games and a tough matchup with LAA....going in I was hoping for 6-4 and these two wins are a great start.
Tampa's been shutting LAA down these past couple of nights...Maybe we'll see this pitching staff do the same thing...Who knows?!

TomBradley72
05-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Thank you bA for taking advantage of your playing time...hopefully Ozzie will put you out there 4-5X/week.

Thank you Nick Swisher for delivering while Thome sits against a leftie...hopefully Ozzie will make this a regular occurrance when a LH is starting.

Frontman
05-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Some people want something to bitch about. Another night someone said we should send Mark down and bring up Broadway. :rolleyes:

"If dis guy, after gettin' hiz big payoff, over da goin' rate act like dat? Hez a bum an' dey need to send his sorry rear down to triple A Charolette. You knows dat team dat Michael Jordan played on?"

To me, those who get upset over Mark's taking it out on the dugout heater; all I say is this:

He had the fire and the passion.

DickAllen72
05-11-2008, 12:43 AM
Nice win! :bandance:

Great game by Quentin (again), and Swisher looks like he's bustin' out of his extended slump. Another good game by Uribe.

Anderson in place of Thome improved the defense and gave a shot in the arm to the offense. He should play aginst LHP all the time, with Paulie and Jermaine alternating at DH.

Let's get the sweep tomorrow! :gulp:

DickAllen72
05-11-2008, 12:44 AM
Thank you bA for taking advantage of your playing time...hopefully Ozzie will put you out there 4-5X/week.

Thank you Nick Swisher for delivering while Thome sits against a leftie...hopefully Ozzie will make this a regular occurrance when a LH is starting.
Amen and Amen!

voodoochile
05-11-2008, 12:49 AM

I don't get that at all. Even with tonight's 3-run jack (his other three AB were less than memorable) he has an OPS of .708.

I like BA as a 4th OF, but if he's playing that much, he's taking bats from someone who will be far more productive as the season progresses, IMO. He's had a good couple of games, let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Chilli Palmer
05-11-2008, 12:58 AM
I don't get that at all. Even with tonight's 3-run jack (his other three AB were less than memorable) he has an OPS of .708.

I like BA as a 4th OF, but if he's playing that much, he's taking bats from someone who will be far more productive as the season progresses, IMO. He's had a good couple of games, let's not get ahead of ourselves...

:tantrum:

jabrch
05-11-2008, 01:04 AM
with Paulie and Jermaine alternating at DH.

I'd put JD at DH more than PK. Paulie is a fairly decent 1B. If you have an OF with BA, Swish and CQ, it is pretty solid defensively.

HawkTheGM
05-11-2008, 01:06 AM
Great game! Because I'm out of market, I don't see many. And it seems like every game thats broadcast up here they lose

Keep it up!

HawkTheGM
05-11-2008, 01:08 AM
Another thing; They broadcast the game on two different channels today. WGN and Seattle Sports Network. I always thought that WGN had exclusive rights to Sox games when they played on their station

Being in Alaska, I get force fed Seattle sports :(

WhiteSox5187
05-11-2008, 01:10 AM
Well, it got a little intresting with Dotel on the mound and it sounds like Javy ran out of gas in the sixth...but a win is a win. Now let's get the sweep tommorrow.

Navarro's Talent
05-11-2008, 01:11 AM
Getting hot again.....

I hope this continues. :bandance:

JB98
05-11-2008, 01:17 AM

BA is right where he belongs: He's the fourth outfielder, and he's contributing when called upon. It was nice to see him work the count to 3-1 on that at-bat in the second inning. Two years ago, he would have helped Washburn out and swung at that crap out of the zone and fallen behind 0-2 or 1-2. This year, we've seen more examples of BA getting himself into hitters' counts where he can be dangerous.

Quentin won me over in spring training. I see someone bumped the Quentin-to-the-Sox thread. I'm not going to bother reading it because I'm certain someone is just trying to tsk-tsk people who didn't like the trade at the time it was made. I was one of the people who wondered what the hell KW was thinking when he acquired this guy. Then, I saw Quentin swing the bat late in March, and then I realized why the trade was made. He's better than both Anderson and Owens.

DickAllen72
05-11-2008, 01:18 AM
I'd put JD at DH more than PK. Paulie is a fairly decent 1B. If you have an OF with BA, Swish and CQ, it is pretty solid defensively.
I agree. Against LHP, Anderson should be in CF with Dye at DH most of the time, but Paulie can DH every now and then against leftys as well to give him a little break, like tonight.

JB98
05-11-2008, 01:19 AM
Well, it got a little intresting with Dotel on the mound and it sounds like Javy ran out of gas in the sixth...but a win is a win. Now let's get the sweep tommorrow.

I don't think Javy ran out of gas. He just didn't have it. None of his offspeed pitches were working all night long, and it finally caught up to him the third time through the batting order.

It's funny how baseball works. Javy was outstanding in Toronto, and he lost. Tonight was perhaps his lamest outing of the year, and he won. Go figure.

WhiteSox5187
05-11-2008, 01:50 AM
I don't think Javy ran out of gas. He just didn't have it. None of his offspeed pitches were working all night long, and it finally caught up to him the third time through the batting order.

It's funny how baseball works. Javy was outstanding in Toronto, and he lost. Tonight was perhaps his lamest outing of the year, and he won. Go figure.
It's a funny sort of game that way, that's also what makes it the best game on earth.

RadioheadRocks
05-11-2008, 01:58 AM
I just ordered a dozen blow up dolls to be shipped to the Sox' clubhouse tomorrow.

Keep up the good work!

I see a major motion picture in the works here...

Ozzie and the Real Girls

:D:

Jerome
05-11-2008, 02:08 AM
I see a major motion picture in the works here...

Ozzie and the Real Girls

:D:

lol

Grzegorz
05-11-2008, 05:54 AM
He's had a good couple of games, let's not get ahead of ourselves...

So you play him until he fails to have a "couple of good games". This team needs a healthy rotation between Dye, Konerko, Thome, Swisher, and Anderson.

They all need to be added to the lineup when one or the other slumps.

Brian Anderson also helps the team defensively and adds speed to the offense.

BA is right where he belongs: He's the fourth outfielder, and he's contributing when called upon. It was nice to see him work the count to 3-1 on that at-bat in the second inning. Two years ago, he would have helped Washburn out and swung at that crap out of the zone and fallen behind 0-2 or 1-2. This year, we've seen more examples of BA getting himself into hitters' counts where he can be dangerous.

Quentin won me over in spring training. I see someone bumped the Quentin-to-the-Sox thread. I'm not going to bother reading it because I'm certain someone is just trying to tsk-tsk people who didn't like the trade at the time it was made. I was one of the people who wondered what the hell KW was thinking when he acquired this guy. Then, I saw Quentin swing the bat late in March, and then I realized why the trade was made. He's better than both Anderson and Owens.

Quentin is a nice player but only time will tell whether he's the player some believe he is.

Mohoney
05-11-2008, 07:05 AM
It's nice to see the offense pay Javy back for that absolute corpseball effort in Toronto and get him a win on a day where he was shaky.

By my count, they owe him one more, they owe Jose one, they owe Buehrle one (although that Toronto game was against Halladay) and they owe about 5 to the tandem of Danks and Floyd.

Kudos to the bullpen, too.

Railsplitter
05-11-2008, 08:25 AM
:bandance::bandance::bandance:
Whisk broom? Check
Push broom? Check.
Concentional stand up broom? Check.

I'd say we're ready for a sweep.

MCHSoxFan
05-11-2008, 09:16 AM
I didn't realize that TCQ was leading the AL in homers. Way to go, TCQ.

Nice to see Swisher get a couple of hits.
And BA....Safeco must be his favorite park
Do it again tomorrow....this team is begging to be swept.

And I am beggin' for a SWEEEEPPP!!! too! Nice win. Hell, just win. KEEP IT UP BOYS!

tick53
05-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Our band played out last night so I had to rush home to catch the end of the game. I had it on the car radio and heard about Brian's homer and CQ's night. "Dadgummit, I missed a good one." :smile:

Soxman219
05-11-2008, 10:56 AM
I didn't get a chance to post last night. Great win for the Sox to get back in first. This series has shown me that BA needs to be more involved in the lineup and Quentin is the MVP of the AL so far. Uribe has been playing better as of late, especially that play to get out Ichrio.

Let's get the sweep today!:smile:

SoxGirl4Life
05-11-2008, 11:03 AM

I'd like to see that outfield.

Pear-Zin-Ski
05-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Did we escape Dotel's jam against Beltre or what...thank god Uribe has a decent defensive head on his shoulders or I bet this would've been a White Sox loss....

I might have to invest in a TCQ jersey now....

TomBradley72
05-11-2008, 11:43 AM

I just see it differently. He had an outstanding spring...he's our #4 hitter in batting average right now...has delivered some big hits (game winner vs. O's, 3 run blast last night) and gives us outstanding defense. He's performed well now for 2.5 months...I think he's "over the hump" in terms of maturing and now on the path to realizing his potential. He still doesn't draw walks well...but if he hits .260-270...along with his defense...I'd like to see him out there more often than not.

IMO...his defense wins games the way Crede's was in April. We won 3-1 Friday night. That game would have been completely different without the incredible catch as well as the play where he cut the ball off in the gap. It's that type of performance that offsets his OPS. At a minimum he should play EVERY game vs. LHs...Thome's OPS was .660 vs. LHs last year.

fquaye149
05-11-2008, 11:49 AM
I just see it differently. He had an outstanding spring...he's our #4 hitter in batting average right now...has delivered some big hits (game winner vs. O's, 3 run blast last night) and gives us outstanding defense. He's performed well now for 2.5 months...I think he's "over the hump" in terms of maturing and now on the path to realizing his potential. He still doesn't draw walks well...but if he hits .260-270...along with his defense...I'd like to see him out there more often than not.

IMO...his defense wins games the way Crede's was in April. We won 3-1 Friday night. That game would have been completely different without the incredible catch as well as the play where he cut the ball off in the gap. It's that type of performance that offsets his OPS. At a minimum he should play EVERY game vs. LHs...Thome's OPS was .660 vs. LHs last year.

BP had an article in 2006 that showed that BA's defense was winning something like 5-6 games with his glove even while he was hitting anemically...and this was in June.

I don't think that he ought to be taking games away from Swisher, or even starting every day. I would say, though, that putting an elite defender in one of the 3 important defensive positions is something that the team should feel compelled to find a way to do.

turners56
05-11-2008, 11:54 AM
I was falling asleep by the 6th, then the Mariners started scaring me just about every inning, Javy lost his stuff very fast, he was leaving his pitches up half the time for hits.

Cuck the Fubs
05-11-2008, 12:14 PM
At a minimum he should play EVERY game vs. LHs...Thome's OPS was .660 vs. LHs last year.

I would love to see this plan followed:cool:

TomBradley72
05-11-2008, 02:26 PM
I would love to see this plan followed:cool:

Everything is relative...BA is far from an offensive "powerhouse" but on this team, this year..he's out producing alot of our starters. Over the past 30 days...he has the 5th highest OPS on the team. Behind ONLY Quentin, Thome, Konerko and Dye. Combined with his defense...he's earned the playing time.