PDA

View Full Version : Mark Grace

Chicken Dinner
05-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Now I'm not a huge D-back fan, but when Mark sang "take me out to the ball game" yesterday at Wrigley, he sang "root, root, root for the Cubbies". Now being a D-back announcer, isn't that a little disrespectful of your own team? Then they drop 2 to the Cubs. I just don't think that's right and if I was a hard core D-back fan I'd be pissed. Opinions?

Daver
05-10-2008, 06:36 PM
:whocares

MarySwiss
05-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Now I'm not a huge D-back fan, but when Mark sang "take me out to the ball game" yesterday at Wrigley, he sang "root, root, root for the Cubbies". Now being a D-back announcer, isn't that a little disrespectful of your own team? Then they drop 2 to the Cubs. I just don't think that's right and if I was a hard core D-back fan I'd be pissed. Opinions?

The D'Backs are my favorite NL team. And I agree that it was disrespectful. But I factor in the facts that (a) he used to be a Cub, and (b) he is not one to burn bridges. He may be angling to land a job back there should his gig with the D'Backs go sour.

Another factor may be that fans of Arizona teams in general seem to take this kind of bull**** in stride. We've got a guy on what passes for sports radio in these parts (you probably know who I mean) who is an unapologetic NY sports fan. Why isn't he broadcasting in New York? Don't know, but my best guess is he wouldn't cut the mustard there. Why does he have a job here? That one I have no clue about.

Edit: However, could you in your wildest dreams imagine Hawk singing "root-root-root for the Twins"? Under ANY circumstances? Sox fans, next time you bitch about Hawk's "homerism," consider that.

Viva Medias B's
05-10-2008, 06:54 PM
I think Mark Grace has his sights set on succeeding Ron Santo in the WGN Radio booth.

Noneck
05-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Edit: However, could you in your wildest dreams imagine Hawk singing "root-root-root for the Twins"? Under ANY circumstances? Sox fans, next time you bitch about Hawk's "homerism," consider that.

1st, Thanks for your Arizona insight on this one.

2nd, Maybe not the twinkies but I got a feeling if he was able to, he would do a "root, root, root for his beloved blowsox"

soxpride724
05-10-2008, 07:17 PM
When he concluded he said to the Wrigley crowd, "I love you guys"...lol.

SoxGirl4Life
05-10-2008, 07:33 PM

He did?

RadioheadRocks
05-10-2008, 07:35 PM

"... but you're NOT getting my Bud Light!!!" :D:

MarySwiss
05-10-2008, 07:35 PM
1st, Thanks for your Arizona insight on this one.

2nd, Maybe not the twinkies but I got a feeling if he was able to, he would do a "root, root, root for his beloved blowsox"

1st. You're welcome.

2nd. I wonder. Maybe, maybe not.

But living in Arizona and being a diehard Sox fan has been an awakening. For example, before Arizona got the NFL Cardinals (and we can talk about that some other time), many people here were Cowboys fans. And as sick as that makes me personally, I understand it.

I had no trouble rooting for the D'Backs against the Yankees in 2001. Or against the Cubs last year. But if push came to shove--D'Backs vs Sox--of course, I'd come up Sox, but it wouldn't disappoint me if they lost to the D'Backs nearly as much as if they had lost to Houston in 2005.

I've seen the D'Backs win the World Series.
And I've seen the Sox win it.

MarySwiss abides!

Chicken Dinner
05-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Living in AZ for awhile now, I agree that the D-back fans are probably the most passive and least passionate fans I've ever seen (most likely because no one is from here and has roots with other teams), but they also don't have generations of history yet. Thom was a big D-back homer announcer but Grace probably will get a way with this one just due to the fact that they just don't care that much about this team. 30 years from now could be different.

Noneck
05-10-2008, 07:56 PM
1st. You're welcome.

2nd. I wonder. Maybe, maybe not.

But living in Arizona and being a diehard Sox fan has been an awakening. For example, before Arizona got the NFL Cardinals (and we can talk about that some other time), many people here were Cowboys fans. And as sick as that makes me personally, I understand it.

I had no trouble rooting for the D'Backs against the Yankees in 2001. Or against the Cubs last year. But if push came to shove--D'Backs vs Sox--of course, I'd come up Sox, but it wouldn't disappoint me if they lost to the D'Backs nearly as much as if they had lost to Houston in 2005.

I've seen the D'Backs win the World Series.
And I've seen the Sox win it.

MarySwiss abides!

I do understand. Pro teams have not been there too long, most older people had other teams to root for before the zona teams came into existence or they are transplants. It with probably all change with the younger people that will grow up with the Arizona teams.

I also want to let you know that I can't stand Harrelson but there is no way I can blame him or Grace for the feelings they have for the team that made them what they are today. I do commend Grace for not hiding it.

MarySwiss
05-10-2008, 08:10 PM
I do understand. Pro teams have not been there too long, most older people had other teams to root for before the zona teams came into existence or they are transplants. It with probably all change with the younger people that will grow up with the Arizona teams.

I also want to let you know that I can't stand Harrelson but there is no way I can blame him or Grace for the feelings they have for the team that made them what they are today. I do commend Grace for not hiding it.

Once again, I guess I wasn't clear.

I said I understood his self-serving motives. That does not mean I commend him for not hiding them. Singing "roor-root-root for the Cubbies" is completely unacceptable. (Excuse me, loser, you won a World Series ring with the D'Backs. What did you ever win with the Cubs?) And if I made the decisions for the D'Backs, I'd launch his sorry ass in a second.

Holy crap! Whatever line of work you're in, can you imagine the reaction of your boss if he found out that you had gone to a competitor and sung a fight song in their favor?

Noneck
05-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Holy crap! Whatever line of work you're in, can you imagine the reaction of your boss if he found out that you had gone to a competitor and sung a fight song in their favor?

If the competitor was the place that gave me my opportunity to be where I am today and if I was revered at that company, I would do it, if I could get away with. And it looks like Grace can. No way Harrelson could get away with it and thats why he doesn't.

Brian26
05-10-2008, 10:42 PM

Name one real-world occupation or line of industry that would require you to go to a competiting company and sing a fight-song in front of 40,000 people in addition to a national television audience.

It's not worth arguiing about either way. Grace probably doesn't care and neither do the D-Backs.

Brian26
05-10-2008, 10:43 PM
No way Harrelson could get away with it and thats why he doesn't.

Harrelson missed a White Sox game last year to travel back to Boston for a '67 reunion at Fenway. It wasn't a big deal.

ChiSoxFan35
05-10-2008, 11:27 PM
The D'Backs are my favorite NL team. And I agree that it was disrespectful. But I factor in the facts that (a) he used to be a Cub, and (b) he is not one to burn bridges. He may be angling to land a job back there should his gig with the D'Backs go sour.

Another factor may be that fans of Arizona teams in general seem to take this kind of bull**** in stride. We've got a guy on what passes for sports radio in these parts (you probably know who I mean) who is an unapologetic NY sports fan. Why isn't he broadcasting in New York? Don't know, but my best guess is he wouldn't cut the mustard there. Why does he have a job here? That one I have no clue about.

He ripped the Cubs like 100 times after leaving the team, and then went on to publicly laugh at them when HeeSeopChoi didn't work out for them (or whoever their first base prospect that they drove him out for was)

Viva Medias B's
05-10-2008, 11:39 PM
He ripped the Cubs like 100 times after leaving the team, and then went on to publicly laugh at them when HeeSeopChoi didn't work out for them (or whoever their first base prospect that they drove him out for was)

And didn't he get a World Series championship ring to boot? That, of course, is something he never would have gotten with his former team.

btrain929
05-11-2008, 12:01 AM
The game today was on Fox, so I thought he was going to act as a broadcaster equal and fair to both teams. Holy hell, was he a homer and a 1/2 towards the Cubs.

Noneck
05-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Harrelson missed a White Sox game last year to travel back to Boston for a '67 reunion at Fenway. It wasn't a big deal.
Not the same as singing "root root root for the blowsox" when they are playing the Sox.

rainbow6
05-11-2008, 12:34 AM
The game today was on Fox, so I thought he was going to act as a broadcaster equal and fair to both teams. Holy hell, was he a homer and a 1/2 towards the Cubs.

How so? I watched the majority of the game and actually felt the opposite was true.

What did Grace say that made him a homer towards the Cubs?

pierzynski07
05-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Once again, I guess I wasn't clear.

I said I understood his self-serving motives. That does not mean I commend him for not hiding them. Singing "roor-root-root for the Cubbies" is completely unacceptable. (Excuse me, loser, you won a World Series ring with the D'Backs. What did you ever win with the Cubs?) And if I made the decisions for the D'Backs, I'd launch his sorry ass in a second.

The Phillies should have just released Rowand in April 2006 after what he did.

btrain929
05-11-2008, 12:58 AM
How so? I watched the majority of the game and actually felt the opposite was true.

What did Grace say that made him a homer towards the Cubs?

When Dumpster walked a run in, there was a close 2-2 pitch. It was clearly low, and he was like "wow I don't blame him for being mad at all that was clearly a strike" when it clearly wasn't.
Every time he said Theriot would fire a missile or a rocket over to 1B........stop it. His arm is slightly better than Eckstein.
Saying "nobody in the league would be able to hit that pitch" on a Dumpster get-me-over, barely biting slider.
Saying it was a tremendous job of Fukudome getting Ramirez, who was on 2nd, over to 3rd base, when he hit a ground ball to the SS. The reality is he failed his job, and got lucky.Must I go on?

WhiteSox5187
05-11-2008, 01:33 AM
When Dumpster walked a run in, there was a close 2-2 pitch. It was clearly low, and he was like "wow I don't blame him for being mad at all that was clearly a strike" when it clearly wasn't.
Every time he said Theriot would fire a missile or a rocket over to 1B........stop it. His arm is slightly better than Eckstein.
Saying "nobody in the league would be able to hit that pitch" on a Dumpster get-me-over, barely biting slider.
Saying it was a tremendous job of Fukudome getting Ramirez, who was on 2nd, over to 3rd base, when he hit a ground ball to the SS. The reality is he failed his job, and got lucky.Must I go on?
I watched some of that game and that 2-2 pitch was a pitch that ump was calling all day, however he blew a 1-1 pitch that made the count go up to 2-1 instead of 1-2 so I figured the ump was just getting even. Even Grace said "After getting a generous strike call, Dempster didn't get it that time." And THEN after the walk he said "I don't blame him." The only time he ever said Theriot had a "rocket of an arm" or threw a "missle" over to first was in the seventh inning when Theriot made a sliding stop on a ground ball deep in the hole at short and threw out (Chris Young I think?) the runner. It WAS great play and even though Theriot doesn't have much of an arm, he sure looked like he did on that play.

As for Grace and the Cubs, while Grace DID leave the Cubs on bad terms in part because the Cubs were big on Hee Seop Choi and also they called "over the hill" after releasing him and were making more and more moves to accomadate Sosa (who Grace despised). So Grace called them out for it and when he got his ring he said "I might not be good enough to play for the last place Cubs, but I'm good enough for the World Champion Diamondbacks!" Following Sosa's departure in '04 the Cubs management started warming up to Grace again and have been on better terms with him all around.

Finally, there have been very few Cubs' players that I have liked over the years, but the few that I have were all teammates around the same time: Greg Maddux, Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg and Mark Grace...Mark Grace was just a gritty hard nose ball player who was great defensively and while he didn't hit for a lot of power (in the midst of the steroid age at least) he'd put the ball in play and in the gaps. As a guy who was slow and didn't have a whole lot of pop, Mark Grace was a role model for me...I seem to recall when I was younger there was talk of Grace coming to the Sox and I thought that would have been pretty cool.

Nellie_Fox
05-11-2008, 01:37 AM
...while he didn't hit for a lot of power (in the midst of the steroid age at least) he'd put the ball in play and in the gaps.He didn't have a lot of power for a first baseman in any era.

PatK
05-11-2008, 09:14 AM
I liked Mark as a player, but he really is a terrible announcer.

Red Barchetta
05-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Living in AZ for awhile now, I agree that the D-back fans are probably the most passive and least passionate fans I've ever seen (most likely because no one is from here and has roots with other teams), but they also don't have generations of history yet. Thom was a big D-back homer announcer but Grace probably will get a way with this one just due to the fact that they just don't care that much about this team. 30 years from now could be different.

Same thing here in Sarasota/Tampa Bay. The only difference IMO is that you have a lot better ballpark to watch games and build a fans base. Tampa is more Yankees South than Rays territory. However, I hope they get the new open air ballpark approved. If they do, maybe that trend will change.

In other news, there is a plan on the table to move the Red Sox spring training from Ft. Myers to Sarasota. The plan includes a new spring training facility with the main field being an exact dimensional replica to Fenway Park including another Green Monster in LF. Their response to the Yankees Legends Field in Tampa.

Jeesh, I lterally feel like I'm living in the Red Sox vs. Yankees battle field year round.

LongLiveFisk
05-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Finally, there have been very few Cubs' players that I have liked over the years, but the few that I have were all teammates around the same time: Greg Maddux, Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg and Mark Grace...Mark Grace was just a gritty hard nose ball player who was great defensively and while he didn't hit for a lot of power (in the midst of the steroid age at least) he'd put the ball in play and in the gaps. As a guy who was slow and didn't have a whole lot of pop, Mark Grace was a role model for me...I seem to recall when I was younger there was talk of Grace coming to the Sox and I thought that would have been pretty cool.

Strange that we have this in common....I liked those guys on the Cubs too (didn't make me cheer for the team) but wouldn't have minded seeing any of them on the Sox. I don't think they have one guy now that I like but then again I hardly know anyone on the team anyway.

champagne030
05-11-2008, 12:09 PM
I liked Mark as a player, but he really is a terrible announcer.

Really? :scratch:

I hated Grace when he was on the Cubs for the simple reason that so many of their fans argued he was more valuable than Big Frank.

I will say that he's, by far, my favorite announcer of any team. I also find myself watching the D-Backs more often than any other team on Extra Innings. A lot of it is because they have a young talented club, but he makes the broadcast extremely enjoyable. To each their own.....:shrug:

turners56
05-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Arizona shouldn't be paying a guy who's a Cubs fan at heart (and shows it). After all, the D'Backs won Grace a World Series, the Cubs didn't win him anything. If he's just a guest and did that, I can care less, but he's the opposing team's announcer. That's just wrong.

soxpride724
05-11-2008, 06:03 PM
He did?

Yes he did. FOX replayed the conclusion of the song on Saturday Baseball when I caught it. Pretty ****ty thing to do considering you won a WS with the team you are also currently announcing for. Also, I don't know how many of you guys caught the game, but he seemed a little biased towards the cubbies...

mrfourni
05-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Arizona shouldn't be paying a guy who's a Cubs fan at heart (and shows it). After all, the D'Backs won Grace a World Series, the Cubs didn't win him anything. If he's just a guest and did that, I can care less, but he's the opposing team's announcer. That's just wrong.

Who should they hire then? Should Dave Wills not be announcing for Tampa Bay?

I imagine Bob Brenly probably has some D-Back allegiance, and Hawk and Stoney some allegiance to their former teams (well, maybe not stoney so much).

The D-backs obviously feel that he is talented enough, and professional enough to be an announcer for their team. And d-back fans that I talked to last year in Arizona seem to like him as well. I even got the mark grace d-back bobblehead.

chaerulez
05-11-2008, 11:35 PM
:whocares

I agree this is a non story. Mark Grace will be known as a Cub first. He played 13 seasons with them and 3 seasons with the D-Backs. If the D-Backs have an issue with this, they shouldn't have hired him as their announcer.

TheVulture
05-12-2008, 12:48 AM
I agree this is a non story. Mark Grace will be known as a Cub first. He played 13 seasons with them and 3 seasons with the D-Backs. If the D-Backs have an issue with this, they shouldn't have hired him as their announcer.

True.

None the less, Mark Grace is a choadsmoker.

bryPt
05-12-2008, 07:15 AM
I admit it. I am a:

:dumbass:

AZChiSoxFan
05-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Same thing here in Sarasota/Tampa Bay. The only difference IMO is that you have a lot better ballpark to watch games and build a fans base.

Wait a minute. Are you saying that the dome the Rays play in is a better park than Chase Field?

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

I know Chase Field isn't all that great, but it's a much better facility than the Dome in St. Pete, Tampa, or wherever it is.

Back to the topic at hand, I like the D-backs and to me, this is a complete non-story.