PDA

View Full Version : 2008 World Champions Shirts

Brian26
05-10-2008, 06:46 PM
I was around Western & Fullerton this morning running some errands and happened to see hundreds of people walking towards the Cubs game wearing red and blue shirts that said "2008 World Champions" on the back. It seemed the pre-party started at a place called Quenchers, as there was a line out the door when I drove by.

Anybody have a logical explanation for the shirt? Seems like a pretty audacious and slightly premature statement to attempt to make. :shrug:

I didn't get a good look at the front of the shirt, so I'm willing to give this group of people the benefit of the doubt- maybe it was for a charity function? Softball team?

MarySwiss
05-10-2008, 06:53 PM
I was around Western & Fullerton this morning running some errands and happened to see hundreds of people walking towards the Cubs game wearing red and blue shirts that said "2008 World Champions" on the back. It seemed the pre-party started at a place called Quenchers, as there was a line out the door when I drove by.

Anybody have a logical explanation for the shirt? Seems like a pretty audacious and slightly premature statement to attempt to make.

:o: I'd say so! Oh, wait! What was on the front? If it was "We deserve to be because we've sucked for so long and still do," then I'm fine with it! Although they should probably flip front and back.

In any event, I think we can mark those shirts en masse as "Coming in November 2008 to a garage sale near you."

munchman33
05-10-2008, 06:57 PM

Anybody have a logical explanation for the shirt? Seems like a pretty audacious and slightly premature statement to attempt to make. :shrug:

I didn't get a good look at the front of the shirt, so I'm willing to give this group of people the benefit of the doubt- maybe it was for a charity function? Softball team?

That pisses me off that they came from Quenchers, that's my favorite bar. It doesn't usually play sides.

kittle42
05-10-2008, 07:02 PM
It's gonna happen.

Jjav829
05-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Could have been Kansas Jayhawks shirts. Same colors and they are actual champions.

It's Dankerific
05-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Could have been Kansas Jayhawks shirts. Same colors and they are actual champions.

If it was, I'm sure we'll get an update the next time that Amanda does "From the Cubicle"

Viva Medias B's
05-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Talk about counting their chickens before they hatch! Last week at my local mall, I spotted a couple of Cub fan kids at the Embriodery Spot kiosk getting "World Series '08" sewn into their Cubs cap.

SoxGirl4Life
05-10-2008, 08:24 PM
It's gonna happen.
It happened last year! Just depends on your definition of "it".

TDog
05-10-2008, 08:36 PM
At this point in the season, every team is a longshot to win the World Series.

At this point in 1969, the Cubs, the Cubs had a division lead and needed only look forward to one postseason series to get to the World Series. But it had only been 61 years since the Cubs had won the World Series, and you can understand why people were less confident of success.

santo=dorf
05-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Talk about counting their chickens before they hatch! Last week at my local mall, I spotted a couple of Cub fan kids at the Embriodery Spot kiosk getting "World Series '08" sewn into their Cubs cap.
Fine. Let them be. The Bears did a cheesy rap counting their chickens before the eggs hatched and people still remember the lyrics almost 20 years later.

Brian26
05-10-2008, 10:34 PM

Did they win the NCAA World Championship though?

chisoxfanatic
05-10-2008, 11:07 PM
They might've played a full season on MLB '08...We all know that's the only way that could happen.

DumpJerry
05-11-2008, 12:16 AM

Brian, you missed the announcement last week. The Cubs will be honorary bat boys for the White Sox in the 2008 World Series. This was Brooks' idea to give Cub players and fans a chance to say they were on the winning side of a World Series on the 100th Anniversary.

Stringer
05-11-2008, 04:11 AM
I wish someone had a picture

Cubbies got a lot nerve if this is true

Frontman
05-11-2008, 08:45 AM
That's really bold, considering they have been bouncing in and out of first in the Central; and its not even Mid-May yet......

Cuck the Fubs
05-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Fine. Let them be. The Bears did a cheesy rap counting their chickens before the eggs hatched and people still remember the lyrics almost 20 years later.

There is no comparision between the 85 Chicago Bears and the 2008 Chicago Cubs.

Period

Frontman
05-11-2008, 09:02 AM
There is no comparision between the 85 Chicago Bears and the 2008 Chicago Cubs.

Period

That goes without saying. Heck, no team in any sport can be compared to them, as that was a team that won on defense; which is incredibly hard to do in any sport.

Railsplitter
05-11-2008, 09:28 AM
The didn't say what world.

PatK
05-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Et tu Quenchers?

Jjav829
05-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Did they win the NCAA World Championship though?

It was just a thought...

If we're going to get into semantics, a hypothetical Cubs shirt should say World Series Champions.

voodoochile
05-11-2008, 11:16 AM

Because they backed it up in fine style...

Lots of teams have trash talked, but few have actually walked the walk thereafter. The Bears did. Get over it...

Because we're not here to feathers ruffle...

Brian26
05-11-2008, 11:25 AM
So I looked up Quenchers to see if they have a website, which they do:

Quenchers.com

On that, they have a calendar of events. May 10 is listed as "Quenchers Walk to Wrigley." Still looking for more info on the shirts though.

http://www.calendarwiz.com/calendars/calendar.php?crd=quenchers&PHPSESSID=ef8370718696d8dfb9ba3d7ac31f0ac8&jsenabled=1

DumpJerry
05-11-2008, 11:54 AM
This is really ballsy of them. The Cubs really hurt their chances for winning the World Series of Simulated Baseball when they let Mark Prior get away. That put a lot of responsibility on Kerry Wood's shoulders.

Pear-Zin-Ski
05-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I dont care if St. Louis is a ****ty team this year...they'll beat the crap out of the cubs this year and win the division...problem solved....

SoxandtheCityTee
05-11-2008, 12:40 PM

The Bears didn't record the Shuffle with four-fifths of the season yet to play (they recorded it when they were 12-1) and they did not say that they'd won the Super Bowl, only that they were headed there.

The t-shirt nonsense just shows you how much the sizzle has replaced the steak in marketing. What the Cubs are selling is the idea of winning the World Series; to many of these people it doesn't matter whether they actually do -- the fun is in the ride. When the Cubs don't win, WGN will still make a commemorative video: The Century Season: What Was Supposed to Happen. So a decent bar like Quenchers decides to let the wave of money wash over them a little. Who can blame them?

We have metafiction, metaposting and now, the 2008 Cubs: The Meta Season.

Cuck the Fubs
05-11-2008, 12:51 PM
I think chisoxfantic was onto something............

You sure in fine print below the Champions wording didn't say Playstation 3 or XBOX 360?

:redneck

doublem23
05-11-2008, 01:17 PM

1908 Champs, baby.

santo=dorf
05-11-2008, 01:27 PM
The Bears didn't record the Shuffle with four-fifths of the season yet to play (they recorded it when they were 12-1) and they did not say that they'd won the Super Bowl, only that they were headed there.

The t-shirt nonsense just shows you how much the sizzle has replaced the steak in marketing. What the Cubs are selling is the idea of winning the World Series; to many of these people it doesn't matter whether they actually do -- the fun is in the ride. When the Cubs don't win, WGN will still make a commemorative video: The Century Season: What Was Supposed to Happen. So a decent bar like Quenchers decides to let the wave of money wash over them a little. Who can blame them?

We have metafiction, metaposting and now, the 2008 Cubs: The Meta Season.
I'm too young to remember, but how early were Bears fans penciling in the team for a Championship?
How early were White Sox fans declaring the 1994 World Series to be theirs?

At least it's not the Cubs team, or even Ron Santo wearing this shirt or getting a tattoo of the Cubs World Series Trophy (there was a picture posted here before of a guy last September getting it done for 2007. :D:)

Juice16
05-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Here is a little tidbit from the fans of the 2008 World Champs. I work for United and right now the crew desk is currently looking for a crew for the White Sox charter tonight. United's crew desk 98% Cub fan and they are now taking this opportunity to bash the few Sox fans and make comments like "let them walk" or "they should fly another airline".

turners56
05-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Cubs fans strike again in utterly humiliating fashion. Every stupid thing they do makes their team look worse and worse in my eyes.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-11-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm too young to remember, but how early were Bears fans penciling in the team for a Championship?

At least it's not the Cubs team, or even Ron Santo wearing this shirt or getting a tattoo of the Cubs World Series Trophy (there was a picture posted here before of a guy last September getting it done for 2007. :D:)

Who said anything about the Bears fans? They didn't make the video. The team did, and again, you're ignoring that the Bears did not declare themselves to be, or refer to themselves as, the Super Bowl Champs.

I was a full season ticket holder in 1994 and never saw any sort of T-shirt that declared the Sox to be any sort of champs.

MCHSoxFan
05-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Brian, you missed the announcement last week. The Cubs will be honorary bat boys for the White Sox in the 2008 World Series. This was Brooks' idea to give Cub players and fans a chance to say they were on the winning side of a World Series on the 100th Anniversary.

That better NOT happen! Otherwise I am gonna tell myself and my friends NOT to show up to the clubhouse that day! :D:

SoxandtheCityTee
05-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Here is a little tidbit from the fans of the 2008 World Champs. I work for United and right now the crew desk is currently looking for a crew for the White Sox charter tonight. United's crew desk 98% Cub fan and they are now taking this opportunity to bash the few Sox fans and make comments like "let them walk" or "they should fly another airline".

Maybe the Sox should fly another airline, and maybe they will, once the crew desk's trash-talking about the customer reaches the customer's ears.

kittle42
05-11-2008, 02:45 PM

What a horrendous offense.

The reverse would have been done, too. Oh, I forgot, Sox fans are angels.

DumpJerry
05-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Remember, they flew American home from Houston with The Trophy in tow.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Remember, they flew American home from Houston with The Trophy in tow.

:lol: So that's the source of the trouble.

Brian26
05-11-2008, 03:53 PM
1908 Champs, baby.

DoubleM wins the thread.

Someone just sent me a message with the info.

The shirts didn't say 2008 Champs...they said '08 Champs (which is what I recall now). '08 meant 1908...

People got a shirt if they signed up for the pub crawl, which started at 9am at Quenchers (Western and Fullerton) and stopped at 11 bars on the way to Clark and Addison.

MarySwiss
05-11-2008, 03:56 PM
DoubleM wins the thread.

Someone just sent me a message with the info.

The shirts didn't say 2008 Champs...they said '08 Champs (which is what I recall now). '08 meant 1908...

People got a shirt if they signed up for the pub crawl, which started at 9am at Quenchers (Western and Fullerton) and stopped at 11 bars on the way to Clark and Addison.

Troublemaker! :smile:

MarySwiss
05-11-2008, 04:00 PM
On a related (sort-of) note, I just pulled up MLB.tv in preparation for watching today's game, and the following headline met my eye: "Cubs Close to Avenging NLDS Loss."

Are they serious? Sweeping the D'Backs in MAY avenges getting swept out of the playoffs last year?

Then again, if you're a Cub fan, maybe it does.

Cuck the Fubs
05-11-2008, 04:12 PM
"Cubs Close to Avenging NLDS Loss."

:rolling::roflmao:

This stuff kills me..............When the Cubs win the World Series parade is on, after a loss they want to jump off a roof.......

Hmmmm sounds familiar :wink:

This guy actually saw that 08 Championship ===> :geezer:

thomas35forever
05-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Once the Cubs fall out of contention or out of the playoffs, I propose we nail the shirt to the entrance of Wrigley so the people who made it can see just how bold and stupid they really are.

white sox bill
05-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Well they just swept the Snakes, I would imagine the ON/OFF button on the printing press that kicks out World Series tickets is getting quite a workout now.

Viva Medias B's
05-11-2008, 06:55 PM

If this is true, JR should not only fire United but remove their name from the Scout Seats and the arena on the West Side.

Cuck the Fubs
05-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Well they just swept the Snakes, I would imagine the ON/OFF button on the printing press that kicks out World Series tickets is getting quite a workout now.

That poor machine has been pumping away non stop since 1908! :redneck

TommyJohn
05-11-2008, 07:39 PM

I don't recall many people declaring 1994 was the year before the strike. It was only afetr the World Series was cancelled that Sox fans declared the 1994 Sox the Once and Future, No Doubt About It, It Was Going To Happen God Damn That Reinsdorf (again) I'm Never Supporting That Team Again (again) World Champions.

Vernam
05-11-2008, 07:49 PM
It happened last year! Just depends on your definition of "it".****'s gonna happen!

Vernam

soxpride724
05-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Leave it to the good ol north siders to claim a WS victory before the season plays out,lol.

I hope those ****ers loose every remaining game this season:gulp:

Soxman219
05-11-2008, 08:48 PM
This is not the first time. Before the season started, there was a Cubs commerical on the radio, already claiming them 2008 NL Central Champs. The Cub-loving media is starting to make me sick. I hope they never win a WS.:angry:

bigfoot
05-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Once the Cubs fall out of contention or out of the playoffs, I propose we nail the shirt to the entrance of Wrigley so the people who made it can see just how bold and stupid they really are.

And.......who will be wearing this one?!?!?!?:gulp::gulp::gulp:

soxpride724
05-11-2008, 10:11 PM
And.......who will be wearing this one?!?!?!?:gulp::gulp::gulp:

You know that store in the mall, the one that sells all the bar accessories etc..Well anyway, they will sell all that **** once theese ****ers loose, they reduce the shirts to maybe five dollars, and the pennants go for like one dollar. I went to the store in Huntley last September after the flubs were ****canned out of the playoffs they were almost giving the stuff away.

itsnotrequired
05-11-2008, 10:18 PM

my face is on the front

Hokiesox
05-12-2008, 10:25 AM

And they didn't want to start no trouble! :redneck

kittle42
05-12-2008, 11:07 AM
The Moron busted out his usual "Cubs going all the way" column today. He leaves that one right next to the "Sox kill babies and small woodland creatures" article he usues just as frequently.

doublem23
05-12-2008, 11:18 AM
The Moron busted out his usual "Cubs going all the way" column today. He leaves that one right next to the "Sox kill babies and small woodland creatures" article he usues just as frequently.

Well, you can't blame Cub fandom for being excited... They did just sweep the team we all figure will be the one final roadblock to the World Series... It's still early though, and I have faith in their pitching staff breaking down sometime this summer.

And the joke is on the Windsock. Sometimes it's beneficial to kill small, woodland critters (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c0/SouthPark814.jpg).

skottyj242
05-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Enough is enough! I have had it with these mother****ing snakes on this mother****ing plane!

C-Dawg
05-12-2008, 11:51 AM

Best post ever!! :gulp:

bridgeportcopper
05-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Well, you can't blame Cub fandom for being excited... They did just sweep the team we all figure will be the one final roadblock to the World Series... It's still early though, and I have faith in their pitching staff breaking down sometime this summer.

Yes you can......they stacked their rotation for that series (although, Zambrano couldn't go Sunday due to weather) while they didn't face Brandon Webb (8-0) or Micah Owings!

doublem23
05-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Yes you can......they stacked their rotation for that series (although, Zambrano couldn't go Sunday due to weather) while they didn't face Brandon Webb (8-0) or Micah Owings!

I'm sure if the White Sox swept the Red Sox with Buehrle, Vazquez, and Contreras, we'd all be trying to look at things realistically. :rolleyes:

The Cubs are hot, they're playing decent baseball right now. Let them have their moment in the sun.

white sox bill
05-12-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm sure if the White Sox swept the Red Sox with Buehrle, Vazquez, and Contreras, we'd all be trying to look at things realistically. :rolleyes:

The Cubs are hot, they're playing decent baseball right now. Let them have their moment in the sun.

Agreed, May is not a good month to be peaking!!

minutia
05-12-2008, 02:32 PM
I am pretty superstious and something like that would make me as a fan very uncomfortable. I mean for instance in August of 2005 I felt that the Sox slump was a direct result of something I did. Now my rational mind knew this was not true but the superstious part of me forced me to adhear to some pretty strict rules, like if I did not get home from work to turn the game on in time I could not watch it unless I walked into a room that it was already on. Consquently I had my late brother turning the TV on before he went to work so I could watch. Something like printing "world champion" t-hirts in May is almost like foreshadowing an undesireable end. But then Dan Roan on WGN News @ 9 announced, a couple of weeks ago, that the Cubs should just be given the pennent now because they have earned it. That sent my mom right over the edge. I am still trying to keep her calm on that one.

WhiteSox5187
05-12-2008, 02:46 PM

And the joke is on the Windsock. Sometimes it's beneficial to kill small, woodland critters (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c0/SouthPark814.jpg).
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:IjThaj-riMh1PM:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c0/SouthPark814.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c0/SouthPark814.jpg&imgrefurl=http://theworldofisaac.blogspot.com/2007/11/getting-shot-by-your-dog.html&h=480&w=720&sz=46&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=IjThaj-riMh1PM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSouth%2BPark%2BWoodland%2BCritters%26 gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den)
"Hail Satan!...Go Cubs!"

RadioheadRocks
05-12-2008, 08:19 PM

Yes, because we ALL know the World Series is always wrapped up by May 13. :rolleyes:

kittle42
05-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Yes, because we ALL know the World Series is always wrapped up by May 13. :rolleyes:

Telander had the Sox and Cubs facing each other in the World Series 10 games into the season.

Columnists are numbskulls.

JB98
05-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Telander had the Sox and Cubs facing each other in the World Series 10 games into the season.

Columnists are numbskulls.

One of our writers wrote a column before the season predicting an All-Chicago World Series.

I wrote a column the next day claiming that neither Chicago team would make the playoffs.

MarySwiss
05-12-2008, 09:22 PM
One of our writers wrote a column before the season predicting an All-Chicago World Series.

I wrote a column the next day claiming that neither Chicago team would make the playoffs.

Well, you're half-right! :cool:

rwcescato
05-13-2008, 02:02 AM
That's really bold, considering they have been bouncing in and out of first in the Central; and its not even Mid-May yet......
they were in 1st place in April it always means WS champs didn't you know.

geraldfritz
05-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Threads like this make me want to vomit. I hope some of my cub fan friends buy that ****, so that when they fail at the end of the season i can point and laugh.

skottyj242
05-13-2008, 01:52 PM
I got a shirt like this in Baltimore

http://images.cafepress.com/jitcrunch.aspx?bG9hZD1ibGFuayxibGFuazoxMjZfRl9jNC5 qcGd8bG9hZD1MMCxodHRwOi8vaW1hZ2VzLmNhZmVwcmVzcy5jb 20vaW1hZ2UvMTE0Nzk0ODhfNDAweDQwMC5qcGd8fHNjYWxlPUw wLDE3MCwxNzAsV2hpdGV8Y29tcG9zZT1ibGFuayxMMCxBZGQsM TU3LDEwMXxjcD1yZXN1bHQsYmxhbmt8c2NhbGU9cmVzdWx0LDA sNDgwLFdoaXRlfGNvbXByZXNzaW9uPTk1fA==

Nellie_Fox
05-13-2008, 02:03 PM
I got a shirt like this in Baltimore

:offtopic::hijacked:

brumski
05-13-2008, 05:50 PM
I saw the same thing. It said '08 World Champs and then some sort of snappy "oops we meant 1908" slogan underneath it.

white sox bill
05-13-2008, 05:52 PM
I saw the same thing. It said '08 World Champs and then some sort of snappy "oops we meant 1908" slogan underneath it.

Talk about reachin'

doublem23
05-13-2008, 05:55 PM
May as well wear them out now, since that shirt won't be witty or clever again for another century.

soxwon
05-14-2008, 10:10 PM
I have Milw Brewers World Series champs cap from 82!!!