PDA

View Full Version : Has Jose Contreras been "fixed"?

Mohoney
05-10-2008, 04:50 PM
His ERA is under 4, his BB/9 is 2.5 (before this season, his BB/9 was at 3.3), and he's pitched at least 6 innings in every start except his first one.

Can he keep something close to this kind of control all season, or is that just wishful thinking? All I know is that right now, he looks really tough to hit against.

Scottiehaswheels
05-10-2008, 05:18 PM
If he continues to attack hitters instead of nibbling I don't see why not...

KRS1
05-10-2008, 05:23 PM
It's no surprise to me that he is doing much better now that he stopped dropping down 90% of the time. When he was having his first really successful streak, he was using his typical high 3/4 release with an occasional side-arm in there to keep hitters off balance. Then all of a sudden he just got way drop-down happy, throwing from that angle all the time and was getting pounded. Now that he is back to picking his spots for a low release he is close to the same pitcher he was from mid 05' to mid 06'. Sure there may be a mental reason in there too after some personal problems, but that release fix has done wonders for him.

Chicken Dinner
05-10-2008, 05:30 PM
He's throwing strikes.

jabrch
05-10-2008, 05:44 PM
I think he was never quite broken as bad as we made it out. His numbers stunk last year, but if you looked in a bit more detail, he had a number of very good games, and a few very bad ones (7+ ER 7 times). He did also have a bunch of great outings (3 or fewer runs 13 times).

I think the crap that ended up being 2007 made his bad season feel much worse than it was.

KyWhiSoxFan
05-10-2008, 06:49 PM
His fastball is not as fast as it was in 2005-'06, but he is making the adjustments and his stuff is still good, with a lot of movement on his pitches. As long as he's around the plate, I expect him to pitch well and give his team a chance to win the majority of times he takes the mound.

October26
05-10-2008, 07:43 PM
He's throwing strikes.

Yes, and another thing that has been happening is that Jose stays focused when runners get on base. Last night the M's had a couple of runners on in the 5th inning (i think) and Jose did not fall apart. Last year, Jose would give up a bunch of runs in that situation, but last night he maintained his concentration, threw strikes and got out of a jam. Now, mind you, this is Seattle that he was facing, but I think that was a good sign. I am happy to see Jose pitching well and hope it continues.

Daver
05-10-2008, 07:44 PM
When was he broke?

southside rocks
05-10-2008, 07:46 PM
When was he broke?

Er -- I'm a dog owner, and when I saw the thread title I thought something quite different. :redface:

Daver
05-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Er -- I'm a dog owner, and when I saw the thread title I thought something quite different. :redface:

I've got a dog or seven.

October26
05-10-2008, 07:48 PM

:rolling:

Mohoney
05-10-2008, 08:19 PM
When was he broke?

He went on the DL in the middle of 2006 and started to really regress after that point, if that qualifies.

Sorry for the poor choice of words, guys. Maybe I should have used "figured it out" instead.

SoxGirl4Life
05-10-2008, 08:25 PM

I thought the same thing