PDA

View Full Version : The Curse of Frank Thomas continues

Fenway
05-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Ya think they miss Frank now???

Vernon Wells out for 6 to 8 weeks

http://thestar.blogs.com/baseball/2008/05/wells-out-6-8-w.html

Already on the DL are David Eckstein, John McDonald, Brian Wolfe and Casey Janssen

WhiteSox5187
05-10-2008, 04:01 PM
At the time I thought that was a really short sighted move, and it looks I was right for a change.

It's Dankerific
05-10-2008, 04:32 PM
While Frank hasn't been a world beater for the A's, I have seen him get some clutch rbis (from the box scores) and late in the game get on base for someone to pinch run and get his team in position to win/tie.

Toronto deserves last place.

jabrch
05-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Ya think they miss Frank now???

I think they miss Reed Johnson a ton...

Chicken Dinner
05-10-2008, 04:39 PM
I still don't want to go back there. :(:

TDog
05-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Signing Frank Thomas to a ridiculous contract was shortsighted. Benching him was not, considering that Matt Stairs has been hitting very well. Giving Thomas the opportunity to take his ridiculous contract (minus the option) to another team that would play him every day was doing him a favor.

gregoriop
05-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Giving Thomas the opportunity to take his ridiculous contract (minus the option) to another team that would play him every day was doing him a favor.

I believe Toronto is still paying him.

Frontman
05-11-2008, 10:51 AM
I think they miss Reed Johnson a ton...

Most definately. Reed has been a very valuable addition to the Cubs lineup; and while they certainly are beat up, anyone would say having a position player who can play multiple outfield roles is more valuable than a DH only player.

TDog
05-11-2008, 12:40 PM
I believe Toronto is still paying him.

Except for the league minimum -- I didn't write that the A's were paying the whole contract. My point was that Frank Thomas' release was something he agreed to so that he could get playing time. It wasn't a short-sighted decision that sent him packing. Because it negated the option, it was a decision based on long-term interests.

turners56
05-11-2008, 12:48 PM
And yet, we get the broom from them. Ugh, we could be 4-5 games over .500 if we scored half of what we've been scoring lately against them.

Nellie_Fox
05-12-2008, 12:46 AM
Because it negated the option, it was a decision based on long-term interests.Did it? Do you know that for a fact? Because I haven't read anywhere how the contract actually reads.

If it just says the option becomes guaranteed if Frank gets the requisite at-bats during 07-08, and doesn't specify that they have to be for Toronto, I would think they'd be on the hook for the guaranteed third year.