PDA

View Full Version : And this is why you have to love PK....

dougs78
05-02-2002, 07:52 AM
From Chicagosports.com
As soon as the Sox came out to the field with their 3-0 lead, another downpour occurred. Froemming signaled another delay, and the grounds crew rolled out the tarp in left field once again. But Paul Konerko, who extended his hitting streak to 18 games in the fourth inning, continued to stand on the field in the rain, wondering why they weren't playing .

That is great stuff. I was listening on the radio and Rooney and Farmer were cracking up over this. The tarps are coming out, both teams are in the dugouts, but there is Paulie still standing at frist base! He plays like its his first day of little league every day of the season, his passion and enjoyment for the game is so fun to watch.

sox_fan_forever
05-02-2002, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by dougs78
his passion and enjoyment for the game is so fun to watch.

I agree completely! :smile:

Unregistered
05-02-2002, 08:18 AM
Hell yeah...haha, the Daily Herald paints the picture a little more vividly...

If there's such a thing as an entertaining stoppage in play, it occurred at the conclusion of the fourth inning. Just three outs away from being an official game, the White Sox took the field holding a 3-0 lead.

When a light rain started falling, second-base umpire (and crew chief) Bruce Froemming called for the tarp. But the Sox were very slow to head back to their dugout.

Center fielder Kenny Lofton had some angry words for Froemming, and first baseman Paul Konerko was wildly applauded by what was left of the announced crowd of 12,735.

That's because Konerko never left the field when play was halted.

As soggy fans chanted "Paul-y,'' who parked on the pitcher's mound, Froemming re-emerged from the umpires' tunnel and ordered play to resume following a five-minute delay.

haha, thats commitment right there...

Moses_Scurry
05-02-2002, 08:49 AM
While I don't believe in the supernatural, it is my opinion that Pauly willed the rain to stop long enough to get the official game in. Had he walked into the dugout like everyone else, the rain would have continued and the game would have been called. PK will be forever known to me as the weather-controlling demigod!

On a side note, I was there and the rain at the beginning was not nearly as heavy as the rain that was going on in the 6th and 7th inning when they played through it. If they had played through it to begin with, there probably wouldn't have been any delays and I wouldn't be so tired right now!

FarWestChicago
05-02-2002, 10:51 AM
He plays like its his first day of little league every day of the season Yeah, and he runs about as fast as most kids do on their first day of little league. :smile:

bjmarte
05-02-2002, 11:43 AM
I think Walnuts is about as perfect a fit for south side Chicago baseball, personality wise, as you can get.

dougs78
05-02-2002, 12:09 PM
originally posted by FWC:
Yeah, and he runs about as fast as most kids do on their first day of little league

LOL...quite true, quite true. But surprisingly that adds to his appeal since he looks like he could be any fan, not the steroid-pumping, muscle-bound, speed demons that comprise most of MLB these days.

MattSharp
05-02-2002, 12:13 PM
originally posted by FWC:

LOL...quite true, quite true. But surprisingly that adds to his appeal since he looks like he could be any fan, not the steroid-pumping, muscle-bound, speed demons that comprise most of MLB these days.

Good point.....

Since he first joined the Sox he has been my favorite player.....

FanOf14
05-02-2002, 12:16 PM
That's PK for ya!! It's too bad about the hip problem slowing him down. Ce la Vie. It's also too bad that he is not on the ballot, but with everyone I got to vote for him, he should be getting a respectable showing! I hope his annual May slump doesn't show up this year.

Go PK and Go White Sox!!!!!!!

mrwag
05-02-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
It's too bad about the hip problem slowing him down.
Go PK and Go White Sox!!!!!!!

hip problem? did I miss something?

FanOf14
05-02-2002, 12:26 PM
That's why he can't play catcher anymore...wish I had written down the where the article was that I read about that...or maybe it was the back of one of the many PK cards I have. i'll look when I get home at the cards and see if it was one of those. That's why he started playing other positions in the Dodgers minor league system.