PDA

View Full Version : Could this Sox team be getting younger right before our eyes?

JermaineDye05
05-10-2008, 01:50 PM
I realize it's early but I'm seeing this Sox team start to get younger real fast. If some of our younger players keep it up, could we see a 2009 roster that looks like this?

C- AJ...signed to an extension still pretty good behind the plate and at it. Just needs to work on throwing baserunners out.

1B- Pauly...I really don't see him going anywhere unless the Angels overwhelm Kenny with something.

2B- Richar if he comes back healthy and continues to do what he did last year he'd be a good replacement for Uribe.

SS- Cabrera/Alexei If the Sox let OC go I'm assuming they'll go with Alexei at SS as long as he can get some discipline. Otherwise I wouldn't be against re-signing Orlando.

3B- Fields, unless Kenny offers Crede a deal similar to Paulie's he's more then likely walking or getting traded. Hopefully Josh can work on his D once he gets back on the DL, we know he can hit up here.

LF- Swisher, finally playing his better position. The walks and hits will come

CF- Anderson, in limited playing time he's done alright at the plate and has been his normal self in CF. If he can keep this up (Big if's) I think it would be time to give him a second chance out there.

RF- TCQ..what else can I say, this guy is awesome. Hopefully we can sign him to an extension, I'm unsure what his contract status is right now.

Rotation in no particular order:

Danks
Floyd
Vazquez
Buehrle
FA signing/Trade or possibly Broadway/Masset/Poreda (doubtful)

With this we'd only have 3 players on our starting lineup over 30 (4 if OC is re-signed). Our DH would be Thome or Dye whichever one is still here after this season. We'd also only have 2 guys in our rotation over 30, pending on who gets slotted in that 5th slot. Not bad for a team that was just a year ago old as hell. I realize it's early and all, but it's definitely something to look forward to in the future. I also realize there are a lot of if's to this, then again there were a lot of ifs going into the season and although early they have had good results.

For anyone wondering what we'll do about the leadoff hitter, I'm fairly confident that Richar could fill in in that spot. When he was with Charlotte last year before getting called up he was hitting the daylights out of the ball, I believe .356 or something. He's also pretty quick, I think he could be a decent lead off hitter for the team.

Scottiehaswheels
05-10-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm just guessing you're also basing this on Thome's option being declined and JD stepping into the DH shoes?
Edit: Didn't read far enough.

russ99
05-10-2008, 02:00 PM
I realize it's early but I'm seeing this Sox team start to get younger real fast. If some of our younger players keep it up, could we see a 2009 roster that looks like this?

C- AJ...signed to an extension still pretty good behind the plate and at it. Just needs to work on throwing baserunners out.

1B- Pauly...I really don't see him going anywhere unless the Angels overwhelm Kenny with something.

2B- Richar if he comes back healthy and continues to do what he did last year he'd be a good replacement for Uribe.

SS- Cabrera/Alexei If the Sox let OC go I'm assuming they'll go with Alexei at SS as long as he can get some discipline. Otherwise I wouldn't be against re-signing Orlando.

3B- Fields, unless Kenny offers Crede a deal similar to Paulie's he's more then likely walking or getting traded. Hopefully Josh can work on his D once he gets back on the DL, we know he can hit up here.

LF- Swisher, finally playing his better position. The walks and hits will come

CF- Anderson, in limited playing time he's done alright at the plate and has been his normal self in CF. If he can keep this up (Big if's) I think it would be time to give him a second chance out there.

RF- TCQ..what else can I say, this guy is awesome. Hopefully we can sign him to an extension, I'm unsure what his contract status is right now.

Rotation in no particular order:

Danks
Floyd
Vazquez
Buehrle
FA signing/Trade or possibly Broadway/Masset/Poreda (doubtful)

With this we'd only have 3 players on our starting lineup over 30 (4 if OC is re-signed). Our DH would be Thome or Dye whichever one is still here after this season. We'd also only have 2 guys in our rotation over 30, pending on who gets slotted in that 5th slot. Not bad for a team that was just a year ago old as hell. I realize it's early and all, but it's definitely something to look forward to in the future. I also realize there are a lot of if's to this, then again there were a lot of ifs going into the season and although early they have had good results.

For anyone wondering what we'll do about the leadoff hitter, I'm fairly confident that Richar could fill in in that spot. When he was with Charlotte last year before getting called up he was hitting the daylights out of the ball, I believe .356 or something. He's also pretty quick, I think he could be a decent lead off hitter for the team.

Works for me. Dye will likely be the DH next season.

My only change is that Richar is a better bet at #9, he's never been a lead-off guy his entire career. The optimal place to get a leadoff guy is still in CF.

Brian's had a nice season so far, but if you can upgrade the position and get a good leadoff hitter in that spot, he'd go back to being our backup outfielder. Owens still may be the guy in CF, but I'd prefer the Sox getting an established MLB hitter who can lead off and steal some bases over giving our iffy prospects in Owens and Anderson "a shot".

itsnotrequired
05-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Who knows what 2009 will bring but the 2008 Sox batter's average age is the oldest since 1960, weighted based on playing time.

jabrch
05-10-2008, 02:30 PM
If it were to play out that way, we'd have a fairly low payroll so we'd have flexibility to do something...

sox1970
05-10-2008, 02:39 PM
If Alexei Ramirez and Brian Anderson are everyday players with the Sox, the Sox will not be a very good team.

I'm starting to accept Anderson as the 4th outfielder, but I really don't understand why Ramirez is still on this team. He'd be much better off at AAA getting consistent ABs, and playing SS until September.

I'd like to hold off projecting future lineups until June. Let's see who they get with the 8th pick in the draft.

spiffie
05-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Ummm..Jose's under contract through 2009.

fozzy
05-10-2008, 03:18 PM
If we do not pick up Thome's option, let Crede and Uribe walk in free agency that will free up about 23 million in salary. If we are out of the race in july (or after we win the WS) I would trade Jose to a contender to open a spot for Broadway he's 4-1 with an era of 1.10 right now. That would mean we would have almost 32 million in salary to spend. The way I see our one big hole is at SS and the lead-off hitter. Rafael Furcal is a free agent and isn't expected to be re-signed by the Dodgers. I don't care if we have to over pay to get him but thats my target. Our line-up would be:

SS- Furcal
RF- Quentin
1B- Paulie
DH- Dye
LF- Swisher
3B- Fields
C- AJ
CF- Anderson
2B- Richar

btrain929
05-10-2008, 08:33 PM
If Alexei Ramirez and Brian Anderson are everyday players with the Sox, the Sox will not be a very good team.

I'm starting to accept Anderson as the 4th outfielder, but I really don't understand why Ramirez is still on this team. He'd be much better off at AAA getting consistent ABs, and playing SS until September.

I'd like to hold off projecting future lineups until June. Let's see who they get with the 8th pick in the draft.

Why? Whoever we draft won't be ready to play with us, best case scenario, 2010, more likely 2011-2012.

jabrch
05-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Rafael Furcal is a free agent and isn't expected to be re-signed by the Dodgers. I don't care if we have to over pay to get him but thats my target. Our line-up would be:

SS- Furcal
RF- Quentin
1B- Paulie
DH- Dye
LF- Swisher
3B- Fields
C- AJ
CF- Anderson
2B- Richar

I'm not sure if Richar/Anderson is a good enough 8/9...but then again, I'm not sure if a Uribe/X is a good enough 8/9 either. That 1-7 would be damn sweet. I'd run with that given how our staff is looking.

TheVulture
05-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Yes, KW has supplied the entire team with Karl Pilkington's reverse aging watches. How does it work? You just pop it on your wrist.

Brian26
05-11-2008, 08:43 PM
If we do not pick up Thome's option, let Crede and Uribe walk in free agency that will free up about 23 million in salary.

From what I've read, Thome's 2009 option becomes guaranteed if he accumulates a total of 1100 plate appearances combined between 2007 & 2008. His total PA in '07 were 536. So far in '08, he's had 148. Quick math shows he's 416 PA away from being guaranteed his '09 option, which is $13 million (with a $3 million buyout).

Just to put things in perspective, assuming Thome doesn't get hurt, he'll need a total of 564 plate appearances this year to get the guaranteed $13 million. Not counting his 2005 injury season with the Phillies and last year with the Sox (also injury plagued), he's had over 600 plate appearances every season going back to '98.

I can't imagine Kenny would pick up his $13 million contract based on his declining skills and bat speed right now. I wouldn't be surprised by another Frank Thomas-type buyout coming at the end of the season with a big thank you from the Sox organization for his charitable work for the past three years.