PDA

View Full Version : BA's big catch

ondafarm
05-10-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm wondering anybody else saw BA's big catch last night to rob Sexson of extra bases and an RBI. Vidro was at first and I think would have scored had BA not caught that ball. I don't think it would have been a homer, but certainly extra bases. I thought it was a great defensive play and I doubt that Swish makes that catch. BA took a great route to the ball, timed it perfectly and snagged it. Swish gives you everything he's got, just sometimes that isn't enough.

Madscout
05-10-2008, 12:44 PM
BA is by far the best defensive outfielder on the team. If JD and CQ weren't swinging such hot bats, I would want him in there every game. I wouldn't mind seeing Thome, Konerko, or Dye going next year to make room for him.

tick53
05-10-2008, 12:45 PM
One word, FANTASTIC!!!:bandance:

JB98
05-10-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm wondering anybody else saw BA's big catch last night to rob Sexson of extra bases and an RBI. Vidro was at first and I think would have scored had BA not caught that ball. I don't think it would have been a homer, but certainly extra bases. I thought it was a great defensive play and I doubt that Swish makes that catch. BA took a great route to the ball, timed it perfectly and snagged it. Swish gives you everything he's got, just sometimes that isn't enough.

Swisher probably does not make that catch, although I think Swish's defense is underrated by people on this board. At the time of the trade with Oakland, people were assuring us that Swisher would be "Mackowiak, The Sequel" in CF. That has not been the case.

That was a great run-saving catch by Anderson last night. BA is our best defensive outfielder.

fquaye149
05-10-2008, 12:48 PM
you can watch it at www.whitesox.com under "anderson's catch at the wall"

Cementing his place in the HOF!

GlassSox
05-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Outstanding catch!

Domeshot17
05-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Anderson is by far the best defensive OF we have had since Mike Cameron, and I think he may be above him.

rdwj
If he could hit, he'd be an all star. I still have high hopes for BA

ondafarm
Swish is a highly intelligent, well-schooled defender. His dad played major league ball, that should be expected. Swish takes great routes to most balls, gets great jumps and like I said, gives everything he's got. His arm is good and he always hits the cutoff man.

I think we should be planning on playing four outfielders for the while.

DickAllen72
05-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Swisher probably does not make that catch, although I think Swish's defense is underrated by people on this board. At the time of the trade with Oakland, people were assuring us that Swisher would be "Mackowiak, The Sequel" in CF. That has not been the case.

That was a great run-saving catch by Anderson last night. BA is our best defensive outfielder.
Agreed on all counts.

pudge
05-10-2008, 12:54 PM
I was at the game, and it wasn't BA's only big play - early in the game, he made a fantasic diving stop on a ball in the gap that would have been a double and scored a run with two outs. Instead, he stops the ball, and the Mariners get zero. BA prevented at least 2 runs in that game, maybe 3. Swish would not have made either of those plays.

It was the first time I have started to consider that BA should be our everyday centerfielder. Someone in this lineup has to go. Not sure who it is, but this team is going to win with pitching and defense. I'm starting to think we need the best team in the field defensively we can get.

ondafarm
05-10-2008, 01:04 PM
I was at the game, and it wasn't BA's only big play - early in the game, he made a fantasic diving stop on a ball in the gap that would have been a double and scored a run with two outs. Instead, he stops the ball, and the Mariners get zero. BA prevented at least 2 runs in that game, maybe 3. Swish would not have made either of those plays.

It was the first time I have started to consider that BA should be our everyday centerfielder. Someone in this lineup has to go. Not sure who it is, but this team is going to win with pitching and defense. I'm starting to think we need the best team in the field defensively we can get.

Thanks for the report. I was working late and didn't catch that part of the game.

DumpJerry
05-10-2008, 01:24 PM

Nope. None of us are watching the White Sox until they win 10 in a row.

It was a Torii Hunter-quality catch at a Brain Anderson price.

I thought that trap was HUGE. Should have been a web gem, it saved the game for us.

jabrch
05-10-2008, 01:29 PM
I sure hope BA can earn himself more PT. We'd be better off if he was good enough to find his way into the lineup.

(No idea how to do that with CQ hitting well, and JD not being a guy you want to sit... and you don't bench PK/JD.... In any case, however it works out - if BA is good enough to earn more time, we will be better off as a club.)

SoxSpeed22
05-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Believe it or not, I think that trap was the biggest play of the game. The Mariners would've scored at least 1 run if that gets to the wall, maybe more. Then in the next inning, the Sox scored 3. It was one of those major momentum shifters.

BadBobbyJenks
05-10-2008, 01:56 PM
I thought that trap was HUGE. Should have been a web gem, it saved the game for us.

Believe it or not, I think that trap was the biggest play of the game. The Mariners would've scored at least 1 run if that gets to the wall, maybe more. Then in the next inning, the Sox scored 3. It was one of those major momentum shifters.

Both were great plays. The catch at the wall was the "sexier" play, but I agree the diving stop was what won us the game.

Tragg
05-10-2008, 02:17 PM
I sure hope BA can earn himself more PT. We'd be better off if he was good enough to find his way into the lineup.

Anderson had a good spring....his O, while not good, is improved, and a lot better than many on this team, espcially Ozzie's slappers that he loves and loads the team with in overabundance.

He has for sure proven by a wide margin that he's the #4 outfielder on this team and no one is close in talent and production; and that he's the best defensive outfielder on the team who should be a defensive replacement most games in which the Sox have the lead in the latter innings (he wasn't even used as a defensive replacement to protect a no hitter); and that he could play a few times per week, to spell some of the aging core like Dye, Konerko, etc.

The Immigrant
05-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Anderson had a good spring....his O, while not good, is improved, and a lot better than many on this team, espcially Ozzie's slappers that he loves and loads the team with in overabundance.

To be fair, Ozzie is the one keeping the "speedy slapper" Owens in Charlotte so Anderson can remain on the MLB roster.

Sockinchisox
05-10-2008, 02:32 PM
To be fair, Ozzie is the one keeping the "speedy slapper" Owens in Charlotte so Anderson can remain on the MLB roster.

Owens won't be up for a long time, he's in a big time slump hitting .235 now with an OBP of .324.

champagne030
05-10-2008, 02:41 PM

No, Ozzie is keeping Owens in Charlotte so the Cuban 'dud' can remain on the MLB roster. That kid needs playing time and is not good enough to warrant that at the big league level. His development needs to happen in Charlotte or Birmingham.

The Immigrant
05-10-2008, 02:55 PM
No, Ozzie is keeping Owens in Charlotte so the Cuban 'dud' can remain on the MLB roster. That kid needs playing time and is not good enough to warrant that at the big league level. His development needs to happen in Charlotte or Birmingham.

My sense is that management is keeping Ramirez here to see if he can develop at the Major League level and then replace Cabrera next year. He also plays both IF positions.

Not sure what that has to do with BA, but whatever.

champagne030
05-10-2008, 03:21 PM
My sense is that management is keeping Ramirez here to see if he can develop at the Major League level and then replace Cabrera next year. He also plays both IF positions.

Not sure what that has to do with BA, but whatever.

I didn't think they were in the business of trying to develop players in Chicago.

You're saying Owens is down is Charlotte to keep Anderson in Chicago. I'm saying Anderson isn't blocking Owens, it's Alexei. Ozuna plays both IF spots too, sadly about as good defensively as Ramirez.

thomas35forever
05-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Now I haven't watched Baseball Tonight as much this year, but I have to say that was the catch of the year by far. I was watching the encore during my late radio shift and when I saw it, my eyes popped and my jaw dropped. Anderson is proving that is our future in CF.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Even the Brewer fans I work with were talking about that catch. I would love to see BA in there every day. Swisher doesn't do a bad job but BA is the natural for that position. He has also seens to have matured a lot as a person, not so cocky, etc.

Frontman
05-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Anderson's ability to catch is based solely on his tongue being out.....

Good LORD was that a great show of defense by Anderson last night. MERCY!

I hope BA can really start hitting, so we have a "fly balls go to die" outfielder for the long haul.

It's Dankerific
05-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Anderson's ability to catch is based solely on his tongue being out.....

Good LORD was that a great show of defense by Anderson last night. MERCY!

I hope BA can really start hitting, so we have a "fly balls go to die" outfielder for the long haul.

.270 in limited playing time is a great start. I really think he could be an asset if they give him more playing time by giving people days off, rotating swisher, and put him in late game defensive situations. His bat isn't so bad that you would be upset if he had to have an emergency at bat after coming in for defense.

October26
05-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Brian Anderson's catch last night was fantastic!

Optipessimism
05-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Brian's defense isn't really all that impressive to me considering this is his game. It's what he does and even if it's a great play, it's what he's there to do.

What's really impressed me about Brian is that, even though he's just had sporadic playing time, he's still hitting .270 and taking pitches a lot better. If he keeps this up, even the ever-present Brian Anderson Hate Squad will have to admit that he's a starting caliber major league player.

TDog
05-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Brian's defense isn't really all that impressive to me considering this is his game. It's what he does and even if it's a great play, it's what he's there to do.

What's really impressed me about Brian is that, even though he's just had sporadic playing time, he's still hitting .270 and taking pitches a lot better. If he keeps this up, even the ever-present Brian Anderson Hate Squad will have to admit that he's a starting caliber major league player.

This is close to what I'm feeling. I am beginning to wonder (after mostly hoping) if Mr. Anderson has finally dedicated himself to get the most out of his abilities. Both he and Nick Swisher were first round draft picks -- Swisher in 2002 from Ohio State and Anderson in 2003 from Arizona. If Swisher's problems this year have helped awaken Anderson to his potential, Swisher may not be a total bust in Chicago.

chisoxfanatic
05-10-2008, 09:36 PM
I've officially joined the FOBA. The past few weeks, he's cashed in on his playing time majorly.

Walk-Off hit over Baltimore
His catch last night
MONSTER 3-run jack tonight already to straight away center! MERCY!I say start him as often as possible! He seems to want it.

BoysMom3
05-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Loved it!!!!

ondafarm
05-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Brian's defense isn't really all that impressive to me considering this is his game. It's what he does and even if it's a great play, it's what he's there to do. . .

Not sure I understand.

So Ted William's hitting would be totally unimpressive because he was brought in to hit, but his defense might be?

Hitmen77
05-10-2008, 11:44 PM
I've officially joined the FOBA. The past few weeks, he's cashed in on his playing time majorly.

Walk-Off hit over Baltimore
His catch last night
MONSTER 3-run jack tonight already to straight away center! MERCY!I say start him as often as possible! He seems to want it.

I can see him getting plenty of playing time if he can keep this up. He won't be a starter - but he's likely to be in the lineup when Dye, Swisher, Quentin, Konerko, or Thome has the day off. That's not every day of course, but that could amount to a decent number of games.

Having BA play well such that it lets Ozzie feel comfortable giving these 5 guys a decent amount of rest will greatly improve our lineup all around and the season wears on.

DickAllen72
05-11-2008, 12:35 AM

(No idea how to do that with CQ hitting well, and JD not being a guy you want to sit... and you don't bench PK/JD.... In any case, however it works out - if BA is good enough to earn more time, we will be better off as a club.)
It worked out great tonight by moving Konerko to DH and sitting Thome. They should do that more often, especially against LHP.

ChiSoxFan7
05-11-2008, 10:27 AM
i've always been a fan of BA (and yes i know this is jumping way ahead)
but assuming BA stays on his line of improvement on the offensive end (and his consistency on the defensive end, amazing catch by the way)...

What happens in the outfield with PT and all?

TDog
05-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Not sure I understand.

So Ted William's hitting would be totally unimpressive because he was brought in to hit, but his defense might be?

No, but I would expect big hitting from Ted Williams. And for all his accomplishments, Boston fans booed him when he didn't come through in the clutch. Now, if he had made a catch like Brian Anderson made Friday night in a game where he doubled twice and homered, people would have been talking about the catch first and the hits later.

getonbckthr
05-11-2008, 01:32 PM
He may not always hit but the runs he saves with his defense are like RBI's.

turners56
05-11-2008, 01:37 PM
He may not always hit but the runs he saves with his defense are like RBI's.

Too bad there's no such stat as defensive RBIs.

That would be a cool idea though. Like the amount runs you save for your catches are like RBIs. It would be kind of an opinion more than a stat because of the fact that there's 3 outs every inning that need to be made.

fquaye149
05-11-2008, 02:00 PM

That would be a cool idea though. Like the amount runs you save for your catches are like RBIs. It would be kind of an opinion more than a stat because of the fact that there's 3 outs every inning that need to be made.

If we wanted it to be objective, we could always have it's dankseriffic track it :redneck

However, in all seriousness, if scorers can keep track of UER, it seems conceivable to me that someone could devise a defensive stat called "prevented ER" or something like that.

The major problems are that it would be absolutely impossible to apply it retroactively, and it would be even more subjective than E or UER

Daver
05-11-2008, 02:07 PM

It's called a scouting report.

fquaye149
05-11-2008, 02:15 PM

Baseball is played on paper

kittle42
05-11-2008, 02:16 PM

Ozzie doesn't read those.

By the way, three games in Seattle and three starts for Anderson. Christmas came early for some folks here, didn't it?

fquaye149
05-11-2008, 02:18 PM

By the way, three games in Seattle and three starts for Anderson. Christmas came early for some folks here, didn't it?

:bandance::bandance::bandance::happybday

It's Dankerific
05-11-2008, 02:19 PM

Sure did, came along with 2 wins already. Thats + for FOBA, + for everyone else too

getonbckthr
05-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Anderson loves Seattle.

doublem23
05-11-2008, 02:20 PM

He's played his way into some more PT, too. I've been critical of BA, but nothing wrong with sticking with the hot hand.

It's Dankerific
05-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Anderson loves Seattle.

He must be into those alternative pacific northwest ladies =)

getonbckthr
05-11-2008, 02:23 PM
He must be into those alternative pacific northwest ladies =)
Starbucks.

It's Dankerific
05-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Starbucks.

Thats his cure for his late mornings!!

TDog
05-11-2008, 03:02 PM

Actually watching people play baseball to judge how well they play baseball? What a concept!

Daver
05-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Actually watching people play baseball to judge how well they play baseball? What a concept!

It'll never catch on.

santo=dorf
05-11-2008, 03:20 PM

Joe Crede would be somewhere around -5 dRBI's this season.

jabrch
05-11-2008, 03:32 PM

ondafarm
05-11-2008, 08:25 PM

What?

P.S. I agree with Daver. Holy Moly!!!