PDA

View Full Version : The Ozzie Guillen Report Card

ondafarm
05-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Time to rate the Oz as well. Please consider all aspects of managing, management of starting and relief pitching, as well as making out the lineup and setting the defense. Coaching staff decisions and team management also come into play, even though not entirely his baliwick.

DSpivack
05-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Q.

JB98
05-10-2008, 12:38 PM
I actually don't think it's time to rate Ozzie. Way too early to tell what kind of job he's doing this year.

tick53
05-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Oz has been OK. We are all familiar with his rants but I trust him.

fquaye149
05-10-2008, 12:46 PM
He doesn't play BA enough.

F minus

ondafarm
05-10-2008, 12:46 PM
I actually don't think it's time to rate Ozzie. Way too early to tell what kind of job he's doing this year.

Curious as to why you seem willing to rate Swish, Cabrera and Quentin now, but not Ozzie?

rdwj
05-10-2008, 12:53 PM
So far a B. There are things I love, things I like and some things I wish he'd do a little better. I still think he's the best manager we've had on the South Side since La Russa.

ondafarm
05-10-2008, 12:56 PM
. . . I still think he's the best manager we've had on the South Side since La Russa.

Not sure that's really saying much. The fact that only Torborg has had a manager spot since leaving says a lot about JR's choices of whom to lead the team. I know JM has occasionally interviewed but I'm told nobody has even seriously considered him after interviewing him.

SI1020
05-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Ozzie can be a good motivator and I like his overall philosophy. That being said, he's a lousy game day tactician, plays favorites and seems to hold grudges. He also doesn't have a feel for when and where to make pitching changes. If the team wins again, it will be because the team wins again. I'm not a big Ozzie fan, and will just take my lumps gracefully for having that opinion.

WhiteSox5187
05-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Not sure that's really saying much. The fact that only Torborg has had a manager spot since leaving says a lot about JR's choices of whom to lead the team. I know JM has occasionally interviewed but I'm told nobody has even seriously considered him after interviewing him.
I think Gene Lamont managed Pittsburg after he got fired here and after Leyland left.

As for Ozzie, so far he's doing quite well I think. He has managed to keep the team afloat despite that disasterous road trip, but we'll see. I think by the end of May we'll have a rough idea where the Sox stand in comparison to the rest of the AL Central.

oeo
05-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Ozzie can be a good motivator and I like his overall philosophy. That being said, he's a lousy day game tactician, plays favorites and seems to hold grudges. He also doesn't have a feel for when and where to make pitching changes. If the team wins again, it will be because the team wins again. I'm not a big Ozzie fan, and will just take my lumps gracefully for having that opinion.

Who has he played as a favorite this year? Who has he held a grudge against?

I can somewhat understand this feeling in years past, but he's been very consistent in everything he's done so far this year. He's managed differently this year than he did his first four years.

champagne030
05-10-2008, 04:58 PM
I can somewhat understand this feeling in years past, but he's been very consistent in everything he's done so far this year. He's managed differently this year than he did his first four years.

I can somewhat agree too. He hasn't given a lot of AB's to people who belong on the bench (i.e. Sunday lineups 3X/week).

He has gone against his word and is trying to turn a current minor leaguer, in Alexei, into a MLB player.

And, he still doesn't have a clue about relief pitching or any consistency with late game defensive changes.

Gavin
05-10-2008, 05:00 PM
C.

Put your best defense in the game when you're up by a nice lead and you have a no-hitter going into the 9th inning, ya bonehead.

soxfan21
05-10-2008, 07:55 PM
I give him a B so far. Still early though.

Vernam
05-10-2008, 09:59 PM
I gave him a C after he finally shook up the lineup these past couple of days. For all his tough talk over the years, he sure handles his veteran position players with kid gloves. Nice to see him give Swisher the two days off, sit Thome against a lefty pitcher, move Dye, Quentin, and Anderson up in the order, etc. 'Bout time . . .

Vernam

WSox597
05-11-2008, 07:59 AM
D-adequate.

For the same reasons as above, no clue with relief pitching, and late inning replacement silliness.

Hopefully this will improve as the season goes on.

chisoxmike
05-11-2008, 08:39 PM
B

ZombieRob
05-13-2008, 03:49 AM
How does a manager, who's team is under 500 going on almost a year and a half get a passing grade? For 2005 2006 he gets an "A" but last 2 seasons very least a "D". Even though it's not completely his fault, this also falls on K.W and the players.

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2008, 06:33 AM
D

Since winning the World Series, this team has played .500 ball. And that's despite winning 90 games in 2006, and having one of the highest payrolls in the majors. That's not getting the job done, period.

He's been inexplicably patient with the worst hitting coach in the majors.

This team is incapable of manufacturing a run, even with no outs and runners at second and third. (Yes, I know he has a slow roster, but how about a sac fly instead of a popup?

He'll preach for a day about making his players practice situational hitting, but then the team simply cannot execute those things.

He still slavishly relies L/L and R/R matchups when managing his bullpen.

He doesn't understand the importance of CF defense; he over-played Mackowiak in CF in 2006 and probably would continue to defend doing so.

He insisted on giving ABs to Erstad when 2007 was lost and probably would continue to defend doing so.

He insisted on batting Josh Fields in the 2-hole, despite his strikeouts and despite his power, and probably would continue to defend doing so.

The bottom line is that I have not seen Ozzie grow as a manager. I think he thinks that because he won a Wold Series in his second year of managing, that he's immune from having to make any changes and that he is immune from making mistakes.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-13-2008, 06:36 AM
How does a manager, who's team is under 500 going on almost a year and a half get a passing grade? For 2005 2006 he gets an "A" but last 2 seasons very least a "D". Even though it's not completely his fault, this also falls on K.W and the players.

The White Sox, as a collective grade since the ASB of 2006, get a D. I hate in my gut to say it, but it's how I feel.

ondafarm
05-13-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm shocked at the number of A's and B's here. I voted D - adequate. The White Sox have had worse managers. Jerry Manuel comes to mind. On the other hand, Ozzie remains clueless about how to manage certain players and rookies. His use of relief pitching is a joke and his playing of favorites is a major contributing factor in the White Sox being in 3rd place this year. The Twins are not a solid team and the ALCD is the Sox's for the taking, but Ozzie is unable to get a highly talented team into the race.

ZombieRob
05-13-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm shocked at the number of A's and B's here. I voted D - adequate. The White Sox have had worse managers. Jerry Manuel comes to mind. On the other hand, Ozzie remains clueless about how to manage certain players and rookies. His use of relief pitching is a joke and his playing of favorites is a major contributing factor in the White Sox being in 3rd place this year. The Twins are not a solid team and the ALCD is the Sox's for the taking, but Ozzie is unable to get a highly talented team into the race.
I'm still stunned how he got a contract extension during one of the worst years in Sox history. I agree with alot of the points on here . And i hate to say this .But Ozzie really needs to stop whining. Especially about the fans.Wether he's right or wrong doesn't matter. I know "he-they" say he's just being Ozzie and his a "master" at misdirecting heat off his team etc etc. But the griping and act his getting tiresome and boring. It's just not cute anymore. This quitting stuff is just as absurd. Hey Ozzie, either do it or don't. Every year it's the same thing.

ZombieRob
05-13-2008, 11:12 AM
The White Sox, as a collective grade since the ASB of 2006, get a D. I hate in my gut to say it, but it's how I feel.
His best year as a manager IMO was 2004 going into the 2005 season. I know it sounds crazy because of the W.S . But instead bitching and crying to anyone who will listen , he held players accountible. And did throw them under the bus. Since then the apoach was sort of there but directed at the wrong players. Instead of calling out J.C and M.B the 2 most responsible for blowing 2006, he calls out McCarthy of all people.

ondafarm
06-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Update on this. Ozzie has a five year deal thru 2012. Unless JR dies or otherwise moves on, Ozzie Guillen is staying.

ArkanSox
06-07-2008, 10:22 AM
I gave him a "B" and was recently impressed by his reaction and lack of action after the very frustrating Tamp Bay Rays series. He may have blown up in his rant after the last game, but he didn't blow up the team (as many WSIers were wishing for at the time). He did call attention to the unacceptable offensive deficiencies of some of the veterans, tossed Walker's name out there, and raised the expectations of some very big changes in the lineup by Tuesday.

When the Tuesday lineup appeared, status quo, it stood as a shocking vote of confidence to the beleaguered, and helped pull the team together. I think that the vast majority of the players genuinely like and respect him.

ArkanSox

whitesox901
06-07-2008, 10:27 AM
I give him an A, he wished my a happy bday after all...

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/WHITESOX901/securedownload.jpg

but seriouslly, he needs to get back to a little more ozzie ball

kevin57
06-07-2008, 10:36 AM
At this point, a grade is more like a progress report, but I'd give Ozzie a C-. A whole lot will depend on how he manages from here on out because once again, Ozzie has huffed and puffed a lot about "changes" and being "fed up." Well, if you're all bark but no bite, you become a buffoon.

I think since '05 Ozzie has shown way too much loyalty, be it to his coaching staff or to veteran players. In '05 anyone and everyone who wasn't performing at that moment got thrown under the bus until improvement was assured.

He's shown a few, faltering signs lately that he's willing to do that again. I'm not a fan of the Steinbrenner "reigns of terror" that go on regularly in NY, but with a payroll and talent level of this team, a strong performance should be the expectation.

HomeFish
06-07-2008, 10:40 AM
F in Bullpen.

Substantially higher in other classes.