PDA

View Full Version : The Carlos Quentin Report Card

tick53
05-10-2008, 10:56 AM
What grade do you give CQ for the first quarter?

lizard6king6
05-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Hes tearing the cover off the ball and for a guy who I had little expectations for is doing pretty good. I knew he was a good ball player but his health and playing time worried me. Obviously, he took the starting outfield job and never let go.

champagne030
05-10-2008, 11:04 AM
What grade do you give CQ for the first quarter?

He gets an A on offense. 1:1 BB to K ratio, .970 OPS, he's not a speedster, but runs the bases well.

Defensively, a C. His arm is as advertised, but he has looked very questionable tracking down flyballs. He has misjudged the ball and had a slew of terrible jumps. Hopefully, that will improve with experience.

ondafarm
05-10-2008, 11:06 AM
A all around. Very solid offensive player and his defense has been more than adequate. Doesn't anticipate great which leads to poor jumps, but at least he gets and utilizes the signs being passed to him.

palehozenychicty
05-10-2008, 11:18 AM
He's played well and been the most consistent player on the team this season. Some improvements on D and good health equal a future All-Star.

tick53
05-10-2008, 11:32 AM
He's played well and been the most consistent player on the team this season. Some improvements on D and good health equal a future All-Star.

Yes, if CQ can sharpen his defense a tad, we have perhaps a perrenial All Star. :crossfingers:

oeo
05-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Yes, if CQ can sharpen his defense a tad, we have perhaps a perrenial All Star. :crossfingers:

Since when is defense a requirement of being an All Star?

doublem23
05-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Defensively, a C. His arm is as advertised, but he has looked very questionable tracking down flyballs. He has misjudged the ball and had a slew of terrible jumps. Hopefully, that will improve with experience.

A) He's a left fielder

B) Our outfield is notoriously difficult to play... Give him time, Carlos Lee was a butcher in LF when he first broke into the Show, but by the time he departed he was an above average defensive player.

Considering we got him for an A-ball first baseman, I couldn't be happier with TCQ.

chisoxfanatic
05-10-2008, 12:19 PM
He's been the only guy on this team who's consistently hit well. Sometimes, he's the ONLY thing that's been clicking. He deserves major props.

Cuck the Fubs
05-10-2008, 12:27 PM
In a word.......outstanding!

Keep it up though CQ:cool:

KyWhiSoxFan
05-10-2008, 12:36 PM
We'll see what happens after he goes around the league several times and if he can keep the same pace ... but at this point he's the best hitter on team by far. Quentin has a chance to be a very good ballplayer. We'll see what happens as adjustments are made. He sure has a knack for getting on base, even the hard way (getting hit).

soxfan21
05-10-2008, 07:47 PM
I'd give him a B so far. He is much better than I thought he would be, if he could just get a little better on defense that would be great, but so far so good.

Daver
05-10-2008, 07:49 PM
A)

B) Our outfield is notoriously difficult to play... Give him time, Carlos Lee was a butcher in LF when he first broke into the Show, but by the time he departed he was an above average defensive player.

How does standing on the warning track to avoid having a ball hit over your head equal above average?

UofCSoxFan
05-11-2008, 12:05 AM
In left field, TCQ's defense is more than adequate. I mean this is the same position played by Soriano, ManRam, Scott Podsednik, etc...

He's not winning a gold glove anytime soon, but with the exception of a few bad plays he's been solid.

California Sox
05-11-2008, 12:18 AM
Quentin played right his entire life and it's a completely different read in left. Give it time. As far as the league adjusting, he's not a fluke. I'm sure he'll slump but he's got a real good idea of the strike zone and he's short to the ball. Guys like that hit. I said it in spring, I'll say it again -- he's the best-looking hitter on this team.

TCQ, you're an A in my book.

October26
05-11-2008, 12:20 AM
How could you not give TCQ an A? He's been fantastic.:bandance:

wsgdf
05-11-2008, 12:41 AM
LOL @ B'c and C's. Give me a break, he's leading the AL in OPS.

Sockinchisox
05-11-2008, 12:46 AM
To think the this guy could be giving us nightmares playing for the Indians, makes his production so far even more sweeter.

IlliniSox4Life
05-11-2008, 01:09 AM
Hopefully he'll be doing this for years on the South Side. The kid can play.

thomas35forever
05-11-2008, 01:19 AM
He is definitely an A and the most surprising offensive presence on the team this year. Keep it up and he'll be playing at Yankee Stadium in mid-July.

soxfanreggie
05-11-2008, 01:44 PM
I really like what he's done for us this year; however, expectations will increase in the future.

TheVulture
05-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Sometime this preseason:

KW: One of my three off-season goals was to acquire Carlos Quentin.
WSI response: KW is either an idiot or full of ****.

KW today::rolling:

It's Dankerific
05-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Sometime this preseason:

KW: One of my three off-season goals was to acquire Carlos Quentin.
WSI response: KW is either an idiot or full of ****.

KW today::rolling:

Thats a KW checkmark in the positive column.

I'm just baffled how he either makes genius moves, or absolutely assinine ones. TCQ = Genius move

TheVulture
05-11-2008, 06:40 PM
absolutely assinine ones.
Such as?

Vernam
05-11-2008, 07:05 PM
How could you not give TCQ an A? He's been fantastic.:bandance:Right. Tough crowd. :shrug:

Nothing to fault about his offense, and I don't get the criticism of his fielding. He's plenty solid enough for LF -- I haven't seen him misplaying balls out there. I like how ground-hits between 2nd and 3rd with a runner on 2nd aren't automatic RBIs anymore.

Vernam

Soxman219
05-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Quentin is not only the MVP of this team, if he keeps this up he can be MVP of the AL!

He gets a A from me!:sunshine::thumbsup:

chisoxmike
05-11-2008, 08:38 PM
A

monkeypants
05-12-2008, 01:05 AM
I'd give Quentin an "ehhhh"
http://www.adamwade.com/humor/coffee/fonz.jpg

05-12-2008, 01:08 AM
Who voted average? :scratch: Jerry Owens had to be one of the votes.

MISoxfan
05-12-2008, 06:26 AM
Thats a KW checkmark in the positive column.

I'm just baffled how he either makes genius moves, or absolutely assinine ones. TCQ = Genius move

He makes plenty of moves that fall in between. Garland for Cabrera, signing Dotel, and I'm sure there's plenty more.

rdwj
05-12-2008, 07:22 AM
LOL @ B'c and C's. Give me a break, he's leading the AL in OPS.

Some people are impossible to please I guess. He's the most productive player we have and he wasn't even slated as a starter on opening day. If that's not a A, I don't know what is.

fquaye149
05-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Some people are impossible to please I guess. He's the most productive player we have and he wasn't even slated as a starter on opening day. If that's not a A, I don't know what is.

but he's not hitting .300!!!!

Pear-Zin-Ski
05-12-2008, 12:28 PM
He seems to be one of the only guys that doesn't swing for the fences...he has good solid singles and double so far this season...I love the home runs and all...but that doesn't determine if you are a good hitter or not....

A from me....

FedEx227
05-12-2008, 12:34 PM
He seems to be one of the only guys that doesn't swing for the fences...he has good solid singles and double so far this season...I love the home runs and all...but that doesn't determine if you are a good hitter or not....

A from me....

He hits up the middle, how great is that to see! It's like I haven't seen any of our guys do that since 2006.

WhiteSox5187
05-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Perhaps it's because I had such low expectations for him coming in, but he has completely blown me away. I hope he keeps it up. His D is a bit a shakey, but not to the point where it's costing us games. A+, keep up the good work.

KenBerryGrab
05-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Kenny has stolen a few guys over the years. The theft of Quentin MORE than makes up for dealing Chris Young (and where would our guys be without Javy?), and it is IMO the best steal yet from KW.

kraut83
05-12-2008, 01:54 PM
No question an A so far. Based on what I had heard, I didn't expect him to be ready by opening day due to his surgery.

Based on the lack of production from nearly everyone else, I shudder to think where this team would be if he hadn't been ready.

aryzner
05-12-2008, 01:59 PM
He's becoming one of my favorite players on the Sox. He's been a great hitter, his D has been adequate, and his arm is 1000x stronger than Pods' arm.

I give him a big fat A

kobo
05-12-2008, 02:09 PM
He gets an A from me. He has exceeded expectations and right now is the most consistent hitter in the lineup. His D needs a little improvement, but it's going to be fun watching this guy play for the Sox for the next couple of years.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Kenny has stolen a few guys over the years. The theft of Quentin MORE than makes up for dealing Chris Young (and where would our guys be without Javy?), and it is IMO the best steal yet from KW.

IMO the best steal from KW has to be getting Bobby Jenks when the Angels weren't looking. But getting Carlos Quentin is getting up there.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-12-2008, 02:43 PM
IMO the best steal from KW has to be getting Bobby Jenks when the Angels weren't looking. But getting Carlos Quentin is getting up there.

True. I think we claimed him off waivers.

Quentin is still a very nice surprise this year. I think he could end up in the 3 hole within the next couple of years.

EMachine10
05-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Carlos Quentin, The deserves an A in my book. I'd love to know how you could give him a C. He owns a plus arm in left and I don't think I've seen a ball that wasn't hit hard.

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-12-2008, 06:44 PM
No doubt he gets an A. He's the Mr. Overachiever of the 08 Sox.

pearso66
05-12-2008, 06:54 PM
To think the this guy could be giving us nightmares playing for the Indians, makes his production so far even more sweeter.

You are exactly right. I don't remember where I read it, probably here, but supposedly they almost got Cliff Lee in exchange for CQ. Boy am I glad that fell through and we got him.