PDA

View Full Version : The Orlando Cabrera Report Card

tick53
05-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Rate Cabrera's performance so far with the White Sox.

tick53
05-10-2008, 09:19 AM
So far I'm not that impressed but I'm willing to give him more time.

voodoochile
05-10-2008, 09:22 AM
So far I'm not that impressed but I'm willing to give him more time.

So far he's not living up to my expectations, but his glove seems to be settling down which is good and I expect him to find his stick before the end of the year. I doubt he climbs all the way to his career best numbers, but he should get into the average year range pretty easily.

fquaye149
05-10-2008, 09:26 AM
So far?

D

By season's end, though, we'll probably look back at him as an improvement over Uribe's 2007

turners56
05-10-2008, 09:30 AM
D for Defense.

hi im skot
05-10-2008, 09:41 AM
His glove has been pretty solid, but his offense leaves a lot to be desired.

I think he'll pick it up soon.

Stoky44
05-10-2008, 09:51 AM
His glove has been pretty solid, but his offense leaves a lot to be desired.

I think he'll pick it up soon.

His glove has been fine, but it is his arm I feel that is not that great. I don't know, it seems like I was spoiled last year watching Uribe throw. Now I am not saying I want Uribe at SS, but there were times this year I was like wow there is not as much on that throw as I would have thought. It makes you realize how strong of an arm Uribe really has.

kevingrt
05-10-2008, 10:07 AM
C... good in the field terrible at the plate. But I am willing to give him a full season to figure himself out in his new place.

Hitmen77
05-10-2008, 10:21 AM
D for disappointment (so far). Did he have extended slumps or slow starts like this in the past? Or is it just that good ol' White Sox magic doing its work on his hitting abilities?

To date, he's been one of many black holes in our lineup. It's about time he snapped out it. If the Sox are going to be serious about contending this year, we can't have a bunch of starters hitting .200 for too long.

Cuck the Fubs
05-10-2008, 10:33 AM
I had to go F on this one.......his defense has been improving lately but he is just brutal at the plate thus far.

But, just like in school, this is just the 1st quarter.

Let's revisit this again at the all star break.

Tragg
05-10-2008, 10:34 AM
I see his mother voted.

Cuck the Fubs
05-10-2008, 10:36 AM
I see his mother voted.

:rolling:

tick53
05-10-2008, 10:53 AM
I had to go F on this one.......his defense has been improving lately but he is just brutal at the plate thus far.

But, just like in school, this is just the 1st quarter.

Let's revisit this again at the all star break.

Exactly Cuck, We can revisit next quarter. Hope he brings his grades up.:smile:

SBSoxFan
05-10-2008, 11:00 AM
The only thing he's done well is catch the ball. He hasn't hit well, he can't throw very well, and he hasn't run the bases well - case in point, the top of the ninth last night.

I hope gets better!

ondafarm
05-10-2008, 11:04 AM
A shortstop should first and foremost be a defensive player and he has shown me that, especially lately. He's somewhat deceptive on that because he makes very solid plays look easy. He's actually the best defensive shortstop since, . . . since, I can recall for the Sox. Better than Uribe by a wide margin, better than Guillen was, better than anybody in between. Offensively he's started slowly but is showing good tendencies, he hits very well with two strikes, takes a lot of walks, makes pitchers work. He has been GIDP ing lately, which is annoying, but overall he's been about average offensively for the team. He does lead the team in steals.

KyWhiSoxFan
05-10-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm not impressed. I just hope the Sox can get two compensation picks for him when they let him walk.

tick53
05-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm not impressed. I just hope the Sox can get two compensation picks for him when they let him walk.

Very well put.

santo=dorf
05-10-2008, 11:50 AM
A shortstop should first and foremost be a defensive player and he has shown me that, especially lately. He's somewhat deceptive on that because he makes very solid plays look easy. He's actually the best defensive shortstop since, . . . since, I can recall for the Sox. Better than Uribe by a wide margin, better than Guillen was, better than anybody in between. Offensively he's started slowly but is showing good tendencies, he hits very well with two strikes, takes a lot of walks, makes pitchers work. He has been GIDP ing lately, which is annoying, but overall he's been about average offensively for the team. He does lead the team in steals.
He's terrible offensively and I'd like to know how he hits well with two strikes.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5900/situational;_ylt=Am__UTweV20JBImhQZdhtPWFCLcF
All of the 0-2, 1-2, 2-2 counts stats are terrible.
His walk rate has been flukish so far, and the other night he saw 10 pitches in 4 at-bats. His 3.48 P/PA ranks him 165th out of 191 qualified hitters. Leading the team in steals (5) means next to nothing as Quentin has 3, and three other guys, including Jim Thome have 1.

Your post and analysis gets the same grade as Orlando.

F

QCIASOXFAN
05-10-2008, 11:52 AM
D.

Sox It To Em
05-10-2008, 11:57 AM
F. His defense has been passable, but thus far he has been a complete cipher at the plate.

fquaye149
05-10-2008, 11:58 AM

liar

Stoky44
05-10-2008, 12:17 PM
liar

I agree I think people here get mad at Uribe's plate preformance and just say he is overall bad. I am not saying Uribe is better than O Cab, but there is no way he is better than Uribe defensively by a "wide margin." He may be a little better, but I think they are pretty close in defensive skills from what I have seen this year. Please do not give me Uribe never won a gold glove blah blah blah, because I would counter that arguement with the guy at the position just to the right of him at ss.

ondafarm
05-10-2008, 12:20 PM
liar

Well, what to say to that?

Uribe may be a better athlete but Cabrera is a far more instinctive defender. He's done two things I never saw Uribe do at SS: first, start moving with the swing or before, and consistently turn the ball on overrun runners.

Movement before the ball is put in play only comes from understanding the pitch, the swing dynamics and the batter. The simplest case is high-breaking stuff always gets pulled, you just head for the line on those balls. Cabrera has been doing that but also moving up the middle based on swings and pitch selection and location. It's a dangerous game, if you are guessing you will lose coverage for your team. Cabrera isn't guessing; he's getting to more balls in better shape to make a better play and making them look routine. Next game you go to, watch how often he does this. He's a gold glover for a reason, a very good reason.

Turning the ball on overrun runners is something Ozzie did well when he played. It's one of those things you have to either know how to do or will foul up. Cabrera has nailed more than one runner going past third and a couple of times by the slimmest of margins. Picking a guy off third saves more than a run, because those guys would have scored most of the time, and stealing an out really kills rallies.

Tragg
05-10-2008, 12:29 PM
His O would be tolerable if Uribe wasn't also on this team. One or the other. The Sox have 2 bench infielders who are similarly hapless with the bat.

Ozzie's decision to promote him to leadoff merely compounds and exaggerates his dismal offense.

The only sensible reason to get him was because of the draft choices. Now those look in severe doubt

fquaye149
05-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Well, what to say to that?

Uribe may be a better athlete but Cabrera is a far more instinctive defender. He's done two things I never saw Uribe do at SS: first, start moving with the swing or before, and consistently turn the ball on overrun runners.

Movement before the ball is put in play only comes from understanding the pitch, the swing dynamics and the batter. The simplest case is high-breaking stuff always gets pulled, you just head for the line on those balls. Cabrera has been doing that but also moving up the middle based on swings and pitch selection and location. It's a dangerous game, if you are guessing you will lose coverage for your team. Cabrera isn't guessing; he's getting to more balls in better shape to make a better play and making them look routine. Next game you go to, watch how often he does this. He's a gold glover for a reason, a very good reason.

Turning the ball on overrun runners is something Ozzie did well when he played. It's one of those things you have to either know how to do or will foul up. Cabrera has nailed more than one runner going past third and a couple of times by the slimmest of margins. Picking a guy off third saves more than a run, because those guys would have scored most of the time, and stealing an out really kills rallies.

Uribe is a better athlete, has better range, and a better arm

Cabrera is a more consistent fielder and thrower.

To say he's better than Uribe by a wide margin is ****ing ridiculous.

Oh, but you have your set in stone opinion and anecdotal evidence. Wonderful. You're right--Cabrera is the best SS we've had in forever (and by a WIDE MARGIN :rolleyes:), even though we've already, by the month of ****ing May, seen him botch myriad makeable plays!

I'll buy that he's a better SS than Uribe. In fact, I probably would agree, if pressed to make a distinction in players who both have significant strengths and weaknesses. But you didn't say that. You said he's a better SS by a wide margin. Nope.

russ99
05-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Wow, one poor hitting month and you guys think everyone's awful...

I'll bank on Cabrera having an overall full season at the plate close to his career norms.

When Uribe wins a gold glove, I'll start considering him even close as a defender as Cabrera. The most telling thing is that Orlando doesn't take plays off like Juan is want to do.

fquaye149
05-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Wow, one poor hitting month and you guys think everyone's awful...

I'll bank on Cabrera having an overall full season at the plate close to his career norms.

When Uribe wins a gold glove, I'll start considering him even close as a defender as Cabrera. The most telling thing is that Orlando doesn't take plays off like Juan is want to do.

The question is how would you grade Cabrera so far.

How would you grade him so far? It's real hard to make a case for a SS who is giving us solid (but not exceptional) defense and a ****ing .200 avg with a .280 OBP as much more than a C

Will he turn it around? I think so. But SO FAR he's been hugely disappointing.

And just so you know--you might want to reevaluate your esteem for the gold glove. It's the biggest bull**** award in baseball.

Madscout
05-10-2008, 12:41 PM
I have to go with fquaye on the previous arguement. Ocab looks consistantly good in the field, but name me another shortstop that has a cannon like Uribe? Some of those running away from 1st base throws that he made to nail guys at 1st were unbelievable. However, the way we are configured now is good, except for the bats being cold. With a runner on first, anything to the left is double play material with Uribe's arm.

russ99
05-10-2008, 12:51 PM
I have to go with fquaye on the previous arguement. Ocab looks consistantly good in the field, but name me another shortstop that has a cannon like Uribe? Some of those running away from 1st base throws that he made to nail guys at 1st were unbelievable. However, the way we are configured now is good, except for the bats being cold. With a runner on first, anything to the left is double play material with Uribe's arm.

The problem is we give up a lot more hits with that cannon at SS. Besides, Orlando has a decent arm as well.

I can't tell you how many times last season I saw Juan half-ass his way toward a ball in the gap. Orlando makes those plays look easy.

I guess it's more a point that Uribe does everything more spectacularly, whether he makes a good play or he fails, while Orlando is a lot more steady but without flair.

At the plate, I do expect more out of Orlando the rest of this season. So yeah. B+ for defense, D for offense. I'd go a solid C.

fquaye149
05-10-2008, 12:52 PM
The problem is we give up a lot more hits with that cannon at SS. Besides, Orlando has a decent arm as well.

I can't tell you how many times last season I saw Juan half-ass his way toward a ball in the gap. Orlando makes those plays look easy.

I guess it's more a point that Uribe does everything more spectacularly, whether he makes a good play or he fails, while Orlando is a lot more steady but without flair.

At the plate, I do expect more out of Orlando the rest of this season.

Yes, when Uribe dogs it, he's a lousy SS. But in 2005 and most of 2006 he was certainly in Cabrera's league.

Stoky44
05-10-2008, 01:36 PM
When Uribe wins a gold glove, I'll start considering him even close as a defender as Cabrera.

I knew someone would make this comment, and is why I addressed it in my previous post.

So what do you think of Crede's D. Will you only compair him to Beltre, Chavez, Travis Fryman, Scott Brosius, or Gary Gaetti after he wins a gold glove. I hate the gold glove arguement.

santo=dorf
05-10-2008, 01:37 PM
So what do you think of Crede's D. Will you only compair him to Beltre, Chavez, Travis Fryman, Scott Brosius, or Gary Gaetti after he wins a gold glove. I hate the gold glove arguement.
Exactly.

When Crede, Uribe, and Rowand didn't win a gold glove with the Sox the argument was "the GG means nothing. It's just a popularity contest."

Stoky44
05-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Exactly.

When Crede, Uribe, and Rowand didn't win a gold glove with the Sox the argument was "the GG means nothing. It's just a popularity contest."

I want to make sure people know I am not saying I think that Uribe should get a gold glove, however to say O Cab is defensively better by a "wide margin" and use the arguement he has a gold glove is just plain dumb.

Thank you for pointing out Rowand too, I almost forgot about that example. We could probably even make a case for Konerko last year too.

ondafarm
05-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Gold Gloves. If I don't see the guy everyday, or at least frequently, then I assume that a GG means above average defender. We all seem to get to see a lot of the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Cardinals in addition to our regular White Sox viewing thanks to ESPN. I'd also say we see a significant amount of Twins, Tigers, Indians and Royals and probably a bit more Brewers, Reds, Astros and Pirates than the other teams. The players on all of the mentioned teams I have a fair degree of comfort in evaluating defensively. If somebody from outside that group wins the GG, then I associate them with above average defense. If a guy in the AL takes the SS GG away from the golden boy Jeter, then I think he's got to be pretty good. Now that I've seen plenty of Cabrera in a Sox uni, I think I have a decent evaluation of him. Could there be a better SS? Absolutely. But comparing the two most recent White Sox SS I feel pretty comfortable in. I also need to say, the Web-Gem factor means a lot less to me than a lot of people, both here and elsewhere. I'd rather see a guy make a hard play look routine than a routine play look hard and get on the Web-Gems.

BadBobbyJenks
05-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Love the defense waiting for the bat to come around

fquaye149
05-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Gold Gloves. If I don't see the guy everyday, or at least frequently, then I assume that a GG means above average defender. We all seem to get to see a lot of the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Cardinals in addition to our regular White Sox viewing thanks to ESPN. I'd also say we see a significant amount of Twins, Tigers, Indians and Royals and probably a bit more Brewers, Reds, Astros and Pirates than the other teams. The players on all of the mentioned teams I have a fair degree of comfort in evaluating defensively. If somebody from outside that group wins the GG, then I associate them with above average defense. If a guy in the AL takes the SS GG away from the golden boy Jeter, then I think he's got to be pretty good. Now that I've seen plenty of Cabrera in a Sox uni, I think I have a decent evaluation of him. Could there be a better SS? Absolutely. But comparing the two most recent White Sox SS I feel pretty comfortable in. I also need to say, the Web-Gem factor means a lot less to me than a lot of people, both here and elsewhere. I'd rather see a guy make a hard play look routine than a routine play look hard and get on the Web-Gems.

Jeter's won 3 GG's in his 14 year career. He's hardly a perennial winner.

Paulwny
05-10-2008, 02:40 PM
The question is how would you grade Cabrera so far.

How would you grade him so far? It's real hard to make a case for a SS who is giving us solid (but not exceptional) defense and a ****ing .200 avg with a .280 OBP as much more than a C

Will he turn it around? I think so. But SO FAR he's been hugely disappointing.

And just so you know--you might want to reevaluate your esteem for the gold glove. It's the biggest bull**** award in baseball.

Agree, so far as the season has gone. I think his "D" will improve.
Early in the season he dressed like an Eskimo and had trouble bending, warmer weather should change this.
This bulking up may have also had an effect on his swing, hopefully this will also change.

SI1020
05-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Lots of fur flying here. To me Uribe's D was always underrated. No, I'm not saying he should still be the SS. As for Cabrera, he's been a first class disppointment. Lots of games yet to be played for him to change my mind, but truthfully I expect to remain underwhelmed. If I'm wrong, great. I've been wrong as wrong can be about Gavin Floyd, so hopefully I can be a real lousy evaluator of Sox talent this year.

Stringer
05-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Its still early

soxfan21
05-10-2008, 07:53 PM
I'd give him basically between a B and C. Defensively he has only had a few miscues, but has also made some great plays on defense as well. Offensively he really has done nothing. I believe that after last night he is batting just below .200, hopefully he can bring this up a little bit and start producing the way that KW saw that he was going to.

GoSox2K3
05-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Cabrera so far is starting to remind me of when the Sox got Steve Sax to add a solid veteran to our middle infield.

Sax was a complete bust for us. I hope Cabrera isn't a repeat of that.

I'd give him basically between a B and C. Defensively he has only had a few miscues, but has also made some great plays on defense as well. Offensively he really has done nothing. I believe that after last night he is batting just below .200, hopefully he can bring this up a little bit and start producing the way that KW saw that he was going to.

He needs to bring his avg. up at least 50 points.

ondafarm
05-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Jeter's won 3 GG's in his 14 year career. He's hardly a perennial winner.

Jeter has three more than he deserves. But anybody who doesn't call him the fair-haired boy of the AL doesn't pay attention.

fquaye149
05-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Jeter has three more than he deserves. But anybody who doesn't call him the fair-haired boy of the AL doesn't pay attention.

Sure he's the fair-haired boy but he's hardly "the guy you have to wrestle a gold glove from"

And I agree that he's a ****ty SS

Lillian
05-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Cabrera has not impressed me. I don't like his at bats. He has been way too impatient when leading off. When batting second, I haven't seen any of that advertised ability to hit behind the runner, or move him up with a bunt.

The thing that I dislike the most is his long swing. A little middle infielder like him would probably be a lot better served choking up and just trying to make contact. He wraps the bat around his neck and takes a very long swing.

I don't care what kind of numbers he puts up the rest of the way, I would hate to see the Sox spend big money to re-sign him. Let Alexi play at AAA, and get ready to be our starting shortstop next season.

shingo10
05-14-2008, 03:23 PM
I would give him a resounding F. He is fast becoming one of my least favorite Sox players of all time. Right up there with David Wells. His defense has been OK, his offense is AWFUL. No different that Uribe. Something about his attitude bothers me as well. He doesn't seem to want to be in Chicago.

FedEx227
05-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Sure he's the fair-haired boy but he's hardly "the guy you have to wrestle a gold glove from"

And I agree that he's a ****ty SS

I'd say he definitely is. The only reason he hadn't won before was because Vizquel was in the AL.

1993-2001: Omar
2002-2003: A-Rod (much better SS than Jeter)
2004-2006: Jeter
2007: OC

rdwj
05-14-2008, 03:45 PM
So far - D!

Plenty of time to get that grade up however!

Who gave him an A? That's almost as silly as the people that gave TCQ a D.

RockJock07
05-14-2008, 03:49 PM
I would give him a resounding F. He is fast becoming one of my least favorite Sox players of all time. Right up there with David Wells. His defense has been OK, his offense is AWFUL. No different that Uribe. Something about his attitude bothers me as well. He doesn't seem to want to be in Chicago.

I think out of all the guys we have stuggling OC is the one that will turn it around. His glove has been pretty good of late (he made a back-handed pic last night that was pretty sweet) but by no means is he even near juan's status.

October26
05-14-2008, 03:52 PM
So far - D!

Plenty of time to get that grade up however!

Who gave him an A? That's almost as silly as the people that gave TCQ a D.
I believe the 2 A's came from his mom and dad. Can't imagine any Sox fan giving him an A at this point. Me, I gave him an F. I know, it's mean but I'm not feeling very nice right now. I am a White Sox fan and I have the following expectations of the baseball team I root for:

PITCH WELL. HIT THE BALL AND SCORE RUNS. PLAY SOLID DEFENSE. WIN.

shingo10
05-14-2008, 08:49 PM
I apologize if someone has already pointed this out but look at the numbers:

Cabrera is hitting .224 with 1 HR. and 6 RBI's

Uribe is hitting .213 with 3 HR and 14 RBI's.

So when I said he was "no different than Uribe" it's not as crazy as it seems.

santo=dorf
05-14-2008, 08:54 PM
After receiving his overrated 2007 gold glove this series, he was quoted as saying how great Angels fans were, how he missed them, and how he was having a hard time adjusting in Chicago.

**** him. Leave him behind.

ShoelessJoeS
05-14-2008, 09:01 PM
I apologize if someone has already pointed this out but look at the numbers:

Cabrera is hitting .224 with 1 HR. and 6 RBI's

Uribe is hitting .213 with 3 HR and 14 RBI's.

So when I said he was "no different than Uribe" it's not as crazy as it seems.In all fairness, Cabrera never has anyone on base when he hits, thus the lack of RBI...but the .224 is an absolute joke.

Uribe hit(s) behind Joe, AJ, Quentin (beginning of the year)....and those guys had great starts.

whitesox901
05-14-2008, 09:05 PM
**** him. Leave him behind.

:kneeslap:

santo=dorf
05-14-2008, 09:10 PM
In all fairness, Cabrera never has anyone on base when he hits, thus the lack of RBI...but the .224 is an absolute joke
Oh come on. When Cabrera was "hitting" second in the order, Swisher had like a .450 OBP in the leadoff spot.

He's had 35 PA's in the leadoff spot and is putting up a .235/.257/.265 line

This year he's had 70 PA's with runners on base, and has a .219/.296/.250 ine.

Remember, we're paying close to $9 million for this mess.

ShoelessJoeS
05-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Oh come on. When Cabrera was "hitting" second in the order, Swisher had like a .450 OBP in the leadoff spot.

He's had 35 PA's in the leadoff spot and is putting up a .235/.257/.265 line

This year he's had 70 PA's with runners on base, and has a .219/.296/.250 ine.

Remember, we're paying close to $9 million for this mess.I'm not trying to come up with excuses for his poor play this year.

Maybe I should have mentioned that I gave him a 'D'

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 01:08 PM
He's just another player past his prime that doesn't need to be here...
The Sox need some young talent with energy, badly.

Lillian
05-20-2008, 10:47 PM
I'll say it again. He has a very long swing, especially for a middle infielder.
Where is his vaunted ability to hit to right field?
Hitting those two homers on Sunday may have been the worst thing that could happen for him. It will probably be even harder to get him to shorten his swing now!
We have enough sluggers, I'd love to see him choke up, or at least shorten his swing, and just try to make contact.

fram40
05-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Where's his defense? He needs to make that play in the 7th inning tonight. Leadoff shot into the hole in a close game A team better than Cleveland takes advantage of that - not really a mistake but a play that could have been made I don't remember the Sox being this bad at rundowns until now

I'd rather see Uribe or Ramirez at SS - esp if Cabrera is only hitting .225

He has been very disappointing D

kittle42
05-20-2008, 11:30 PM
I'd rather see Uribe or Ramirez at SS - esp if Cabrera is only hitting .225

Replacing an underachieving player with a player worse than he is not the solution. See Bears QB changes for the last 10-15 years.

JB98
05-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Cabrera had multiple RBI chances tonight and didn't do anything with them.

That was probably the only negative from this evening's win. OC looks bad at the plate.

Tragg
05-21-2008, 12:06 AM
The sad thing is that it doesn't look like the Sox will get compensation for him. He'll play out this year and our infield next year will likely be Ramirez and Richar; or at least likely no Uribe nor Cabrera. I can't imagine they'd offer him arbitratoin - can't risk getting stuck with him

I'm also suspicious of this great fielding he and Uribe allegedly do. No errors, yes, but we give up an awful lot of infield hits. I don't see the games so maybe they are where no one could have gotten it. His webgem the other night was silly -he did a sharp looking pirhoutte on a ball he moved 2 feet for.

But he seems to be defensively competent, at the least.
And then there's his status as a leadoff hitter; he gets that as a reward for hitting .210 and then he plays every day (no days off) and is never moved from the most at bats on the team, despite being clearly the lineup's worst hitter.

Lillian
05-21-2008, 07:08 AM
I can't imagine the Sox resigning him. Next year's shortstop should be either Ramirez or Gordon Beckham, if the Sox select him in the draft.

kittle42
05-21-2008, 08:10 AM
I can't imagine the Sox resigning him. Next year's shortstop should be either Ramirez or Gordon Beckham, if the Sox select him in the draft.

Isn't it extremely rare for a player to go from the draft to the bigs in baseball?

Lillian
05-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Isn't it extremely rare for a player to go from the draft to the bigs in baseball?

Yes, you're probably right about him not starting next year, but he'll be 23 next year, and could be ready by the following season. At any rate, it wouldn't make sense to sign Cabrera if Beckham is their pick, as Cabrera would want a big long term deal.

ondafarm
05-21-2008, 09:17 AM
I get the feeling that Cabrera doesn't like playing for Ozzie. Such things happen.

Procol Harum
05-21-2008, 09:58 AM
D for all the usually-cited reasons--fair glove, lousy bat, little sign of being a boost on the basepaths or to the general team demeanor.