PDA

View Full Version : Marlins sign Hanley long-term

Sockinchisox
05-10-2008, 12:30 AM
6 yrs, 70 mil.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080510&content_id=2673764&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Jjav829
05-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Good for them. Of course, they'll probably be looking to trade him by the 3rd year, but it's at least nice to see them lock him up long-term. And that's actually a pretty good deal.

Palehose Pete
05-10-2008, 10:47 AM
That's a bargain for the Marlins.

JohnTucker0814
05-10-2008, 12:15 PM
considering he is "arguably" the best player in the majors... yeah that is a steal for the Marlins!

BadBobbyJenks
05-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Good I was going to be sick if Hanley ended up fielding ground balls for Josh Beckett in a few years.

jabrch
05-10-2008, 02:58 PM
That's a bargain for the Marlins.

Well - it's 3 arbitration years then 3 FA years. So let's assume he'd get about 24mm for the 3 arb years. That means they are paying him 46mm for the remaining 3 years - just over 15mm per.

If he remains at SS and improves his D, that feels like a good deal assuming salary inflation remains constant. However he is a bad defensive SS right now.

I think it is a good deal for both parties, but not a bargain for anyone. That's a lot of money for that franchise to be exposed to paying the kid.

Scottiehaswheels
05-10-2008, 03:12 PM
I think it is a good deal for both parties, but not a bargain for anyone. That's a lot of money for that franchise to be exposed to paying the kid.That's one year of the money they collect from the profit sharing agreement... I think they can afford it.....

Fenway
05-10-2008, 03:23 PM
I loved the kid when he played for Lowell in the Red Sox system and then Portland. He as a can't miss prospect...

Still the Red Sox made out pretty well on that trade :smile:

jabrch
05-10-2008, 04:32 PM
That's one year of the money they collect from the profit sharing agreement... I think they can afford it.....

Of course they can - but limiting risk exposure is not about if you "can" afford it.

I'm not saying it is a bad move...just saying it isn't automatically a great deal.

Scottiehaswheels
05-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Of course they can - but limiting risk exposure is not about if you "can" afford it.

I'm not saying it is a bad move...just saying it isn't automatically a great deal.Yeah thats true... I am of the opinion that salaries are going to keep escalating at an astronomical rate, I'm honestly surprised that A-Rod signed for "only" the 25-28 mil a year he got. That contract and this one will probably look like bargains in the near future I'm afraid.

Jjav829
05-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Well - it's 3 arbitration years then 3 FA years. So let's assume he'd get about 24mm for the 3 arb years. That means they are paying him 46mm for the remaining 3 years - just over 15mm per.

If he remains at SS and improves his D, that feels like a good deal assuming salary inflation remains constant. However he is a bad defensive SS right now.

I think it is a good deal for both parties, but not a bargain for anyone. That's a lot of money for that franchise to be exposed to paying the kid.

They're not paying him for his defense. They're paying him for that .950 OPS, .300+ AVG, 30/50 ability. Even if they have to move him to a different position, it's still a fine deal. The deal averages $11.67 a year. That's only two million a year more than Juan Pierre makes, and Hanley is about two thousand times the player Juan Pierre is...and he's only 24!

And let's face it, the Marlins really need this. They have one of the top 10 (5?) hitters in the game. They need to keep him around for when their new stadium opens in 2011. It would be horrendous for them if they open the stadium having just traded Hanley.

jabrch
05-10-2008, 08:14 PM
They're not paying him for his defense. They're paying him for that .950 OPS, .300+ AVG, 30/50 ability. Even if they have to move him to a different position, it's still a fine deal. The deal averages $11.67 a year. That's only two million a year more than Juan Pierre makes, and Hanley is about two thousand times the player Juan Pierre is...and he's only 24!

And let's face it, the Marlins really need this. They have one of the top 10 (5?) hitters in the game. They need to keep him around for when their new stadium opens in 2011. It would be horrendous for them if they open the stadium having just traded Hanley.

I'm not saying it is a bad deal...just to be clear.

But you can't compare it to the Pierre deal. Pierre was a FA. Hanley had 3 more seasons after this under Florida's control. Had Hanley been a FA, he'd have gotten closer to 100mm - maybe more. A better comparison is to the deal that the Tigers just gave Miguel Cabrera. (8/150, buying out 2 Arb. years)

Either way, it is the right thing for both parties. I hope the Marlins are able to find some sort of insurance for the back end of that deal.

And if they plan to keep him at SS, they need to be considering his D. As he ages, he's less likely to be able to remain even below average.