PDA

View Full Version : Could Ned Yost get on the hot seat?

Viva Medias B's
05-09-2008, 08:10 PM
The Brewers, who some thought would contend for the NL Central, are currently mired in a six going on seven game losing streak. Pitching woes have been Milwaukee's biggest problem, I gather, and Eric Gagne blows saves. In spite of Gagne's troubles, manager Ned Yost said that he would remain the closer. Meanwhile, the Brew Crew finds themselves five games out of first place and in fourth place behind the Cardinals, Cubs, and Astros.

If the Crew's slide continues, could Ned Yost find himself on the hot seat?

DSpivack
05-09-2008, 09:49 PM
I just don't see how they have the horses to compete. Sure, the NL Central isn't great, but especially with Yovani Gollardo likely lost for the season, it seems their rotation is hope that Sheets stay healthy, and pray after that.

ComiskeyBrewer
05-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Without Yo the Crew has a much worse shot at winning the NLC. Unless they can get another pitcher at the deadline. That being said, the offense has been bad all year, so if they can hit thier offensive stride, they might be able to carry the team till they can shore up the pitching.

JB98
05-10-2008, 12:31 AM
I just don't see how they have the horses to compete. Sure, the NL Central isn't great, but especially with Yovani Gollardo likely lost for the season, it seems their rotation is hope that Sheets stay healthy, and pray after that.

They do need Sheets to stay healthy, for sure. But I do think the bullpen is the biggest issue for the Crew. Gagne has cost them at least three games in the standings so far. Turnbow continued to be a disaster and was DFA. Yost's stubborn defense of Gagne was ridiculous in my view.

So, to answer the original posters question, Yost should be on the hot seat. If he could manage a bullpen, the Crew would have made the playoffs last year. His mismanagement of the pitching staff has contributed to a slow start in Milwaukee this year, IMO.

DSpivack
05-10-2008, 12:40 AM
They do need Sheets to stay healthy, for sure. But I do think the bullpen is the biggest issue for the Crew. Gagne has cost them at least three games in the standings so far. Turnbow continued to be a disaster and was DFA. Yost's stubborn defense of Gagne was ridiculous in my view.

So, to answer the original posters question, Yost should be on the hot seat. If he could manage a bullpen, the Crew would have made the playoffs last year. His mismanagement of the pitching staff has contributed to a slow start in Milwaukee this year, IMO.

I don't know if he's a good manager or not, but whether the pen is good or not is moot if you don't have the starters to get there.

gobears1987
05-10-2008, 02:15 AM
I think Yost is largely to blame for the Brewers failure to win the division last year. He made some really poor and stupid calls down the stretch.

JB98
05-10-2008, 12:51 PM
I don't know if he's a good manager or not, but whether the pen is good or not is moot if you don't have the starters to get there.

I think Gagne already has six blown saves. I don't think the Brewers rotation is great by any means, but it's about on par with other clubs in that particular division. They have gotten into the late innings with leads this year.

They've lost a lot of games from the seventh inning on since the start of 2007.

Lip Man 1
05-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Frankly I'm surprised they brought him back after last season. Remember Milwaukee had an 8 1/2 game lead at one point and there was that highly publicized "dugout breakdown" last year with Estrada.

I know there was talk floating around that he wouldn't be back but they resigned him.

Lip

Grzegorz
05-11-2008, 06:00 AM
I think Gagne already has six blown saves. I don't think the Brewers rotation is great by any means, but it's about on par with other clubs in that particular division. They have gotten into the late innings with leads this year.

They've lost a lot of games from the seventh inning on since the start of 2007.

If certain Chicago White Sox relievers stay hot maybe dealing one of those arms plus for Milwaukee's Tony Gwynn Jr. is something to explore.

Mohoney
05-11-2008, 06:52 AM
Yost's stubborn defense of Gagne was ridiculous in my view.

Is there any other option besides grasping at straws with Gagne? I don't see one.