PDA

View Full Version : Padres Release Edmonds

getonbckthr
05-09-2008, 03:47 PM
According to their official site. I know a guy with some pop who could play LF and RF. He was also born in California.

spiffie
05-09-2008, 03:49 PM
According to their official site. I know a guy with some pop who could play LF and RF. He was also born in California.
If you know the same guy I do, I doubt he would waive his NTC to go to a team that's already 11 games back.

getonbckthr
05-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Holy snikes!!! I had no clue SD was that bad. Bright side they are only 7.5 out of the wild card.

PorkChopExpress
05-09-2008, 03:55 PM
I could see them signing Jacque Jones.

FedEx227
05-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Good. I hope teams really, really stop signing older guys who are clearly past their prime because they bring "veteran leadership", just let some youngsters play and see if any of them stick.

Even worse I saw Sidney Ponson was pitching for Texas now? Why is he still getting work... he was never even good when he was in a "prime".

05-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Holy snikes!!! I had no clue SD was that bad. Bright side they are only 7.5 out of the wild card.

Not a chance. They are awful and likely to finish behind SF for last place. Chris Young will be traded in the next 60 days. Any other valuable pieces will be traded as well. Possibly Iguchi?

getonbckthr
05-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Not a chance. They are awful and likely to finish behind SF for last place. Chris Young will be traded in the next 60 days. Any other valuable pieces will be traded as well. Possibly Iguchi?
If Chris Young is available I hope Kenny at least entertains to see what it would cost. I'm surprised Headley didn't get a call up.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-09-2008, 04:01 PM

I would doubt that Chris Young is on the trading block, if anything I would assume and older guy like Maddux would be.

From what I've seen of the Padres it seems like the pitching has been good but they have no hitting.

getonbckthr
05-09-2008, 04:03 PM
I would doubt that Chris Young is on the trading block, if anything I would assume and older guy like Maddux would be.

From what I've seen of the Padres it seems like the pitching has been good but they have no hitting.
So a guy with the potential of say 35 hrs and 100 RBI's batting in the 3 hole would be a good idea for SD?

05-09-2008, 04:09 PM
So a guy with the potential of say 35 hrs and 100 RBI's batting in the 3 hole would be a good idea for SD?

SP- Chris Young

It has been brought up alot lately on local sports shows. I don't think the Padres will be able to resign him so he is likely to be dealt.

getonbckthr
05-09-2008, 04:12 PM
SP- Chris Young

It has been brought up alot lately on local sports shows. I don't think the Padres will be able to resign him so he is likely to be dealt.
Ya I know he is a SP. I'm talking about a guy SD could acquire to help get them back in the race.

05-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Ya I know he is a SP. I'm talking about a guy SD could acquire to help get them back in the race.

I gotcha. I would say anyone on their roster is trade bait except Peavy. Only I don't think they are capable of getting back into the race.

spiffie
05-09-2008, 04:15 PM
SP- Chris Young

That seems odd considering just how much money is getting freed up after this year, and the fact Young is signed through 2011. Seriously, the whole team seemingly has contracts ending this season:
Greg Maddux - 10M
Brian Giles - 9M (9M club option for 2009)
Jim Edmonds - 8M
Trevor Hoffman - 7.5M
Randy Wolf - 4.75M
Tadahito Iguchi - 3.85M
Michael Barrett - 3.5M

05-09-2008, 04:16 PM
That seems odd considering just how much money is getting freed up after this year, and the fact Young is signed through 2011. Seriously, the whole team seemingly has contracts ending this season:
Greg Maddux - 10M
Jim Edmonds - 8M
Trevor Hoffman - 7.5M
Randy Wolf - 4.75M
Tadahito Iguchi - 3.85M
Michael Barrett - 3.5M

Are you sure he is signed through 2011? I don't know why it would be discussed here if he is.

getonbckthr
05-09-2008, 04:18 PM
http://www.mlb4u.com/profile.php?id=1029
Chris Young signed through 2010 with an option for 2011.

05-09-2008, 04:21 PM
http://www.mlb4u.com/profile.php?id=1029
Chris Young signed through 2010 with an option for 2011.

Well alright then. Sorry don't shoot the messenger! :D:

Apparently that host didn't know what he was talking about.

TomBradley72
05-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Called up Jody Gerut...he looked like a pretty good prospect with Cleveland before some leg injuries hit him.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Called up Jody Gerut...he looked like a pretty good prospect with Cleveland before some leg injuries hit him.

He's a Chicago kid who grew up a Sox fan. Eventually he grew up and became a Sox killer when he was in Cleveland. If I'm not mistaken he was on the Cubs for a few months and was then shipped off to Pittsburgh.

ChiSoxFan35
05-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Paul Konerko can not play the OF, you guys are nUTS.

Why are we talking Chris Young contract? I doubt they'd trade him, but it'd take a ton to get him

FedEx227
05-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Paul Konerko can not play the OF, you guys are nUTS.

Why are we talking Chris Young contract? I doubt they'd trade him, but it'd take a ton to get him

I think they meant Jermaine Dye.

chaerulez
05-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Young is pretty cheap for them until his contract runs out so I don't see why they wouldn't keep him until 2011.

Unless they think they can get good value for him now because his contract makes him more valuable, kind of the way the A's were able to get a lot for Haren.

Sockinchisox
05-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Thank God Edmonds declined to come here.

doublem23
05-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Good. I hope teams really, really stop signing older guys who are clearly past their prime because they bring "veteran leadership", just let some youngsters play and see if any of them stick.

The Padres thought they would compete this year, and I'm not familiar with their farm system, but if they didn't feel they had anyone else in their system ready to play centerfield, why not? Why is it only young guys can have good years? I can (http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/gonzaan01.shtml) think of (http://www.baseball-reference.com/t/terrelu01.shtml) plenty of (http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/borchjo01.shtml) young outfielders (http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/ramirju02.shtml) who played (http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/chrismc01.shtml) like **** here (http://www.baseball-reference.com/a/abbotje01.shtml). I know Edmonds has lost a step, but I don't necessarily see why a guy who's played at a very high level for a long time is such a bad investment, but a kid with little to no experience at the MLB level is worthy of unwarranted playing time, especially on a team that opens the season with very high expectations.

Even worse I saw Sidney Ponson was pitching for Texas now? Why is he still getting work... he was never even good when he was in a "prime".

On the flip side, do you benefit long-term by rushing young arms to the Majors? I mean, if Texas feels someone is worthy of a shot at the big leagues, then by all means bring him up, but what would be the point of rushing a kid to the MLB level if he's not ready for it? This season is a lost season for the Rangers, so they may as well make moves that will benefit them in the long-term, not just the short.

Tragg
05-10-2008, 07:24 AM
The teams that are trading away these "elite" pitchers are making out like bandits.
Sox have serious needs elsewhere with an aging power core, a middle infield that can't hit its weight, including one curiously used as a leadoff hitter. a thin talent base in AA and higher, et al.

Two concerns with young are: has never pitched 200 innings; and he's having a bad year - walking a lot of batters. Certainly been a solid pitcher the last few years though.

FedEx227
05-10-2008, 08:56 AM
On the flip side, do you benefit long-term by rushing young arms to the Majors? I mean, if Texas feels someone is worthy of a shot at the big leagues, then by all means bring him up, but what would be the point of rushing a kid to the MLB level if he's not ready for it? This season is a lost season for the Rangers, so they may as well make moves that will benefit them in the long-term, not just the short.

Because he's not good... I see your point with Edmonds and I'd see your point with a guy who use to be good, but Ponson is awful, he brings nothing... just "veteran."

Career averages: 11-13, 4.89 ERA/1.45 WHIP.

I can absolutely guarantee you they have an in-house option that can do the same thing Ponson is doing.

turners56
05-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Greg Maddux - 10M
Jim Edmonds - 8M
Trevor Hoffman - 7.5M
Randy Wolf - 4.75M
Tadahito Iguchi - 3.85M
Michael Barrett - 3.5M

That's a lot of dead weight there, especially the last guy on the list. Ever since he punched A.J., he's been on the road to hell.

doublem23
05-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Because he's not good... I see your point with Edmonds and I'd see your point with a guy who use to be good, but Ponson is awful, he brings nothing... just "veteran."

Career averages: 11-13, 4.89 ERA/1.45 WHIP.

I can absolutely guarantee you they have an in-house option that can do the same thing Ponson is doing.

You've got selective memory; there was a time when Sidney Ponson was the hottest pitcher in baseball. There were even a handful of posters from our very own community that were upset Ponson didn't ink with the White Sox before 2004. Don't belive me?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28297&highlight=Sidney+Ponson