PDA

View Full Version : Soriano (AKA waste of money) getting booed.

It's Time
05-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Who didn't see that coming? :D:

VeeckAsInWreck
05-09-2008, 02:24 PM

I don't think they were booing Soriano. That means they would be paying attention. I bet they announced that it was last call for beer sales. Hence the well timed booing. :redneck

JermaineDye05
05-09-2008, 02:24 PM

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/net/20050317/capt.75b3334eee0d8347ca8a791ffb0ec746
http://homerderby.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/sammy-sosa-kiss.jpg

"I didn't"

soxpride724
05-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm glad that's not on our payroll. Leadoff? Seriously? that team has the most players not playing their natural position.

It's Time
05-09-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm glad that's not on our payroll. Leadoff? Seriously? that team has the most players not playing their natural position.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0918/mlb_u_pinella_275.jpg
"You think I'm stupid or something"?

kittle42
05-09-2008, 02:34 PM
"boo'd"?

DSpivack
05-09-2008, 02:36 PM

He's always insisted on hitting leadoff, no matter where he plays. I don't get it, he's the last guy you want leading off.

It's Time
05-09-2008, 02:36 PM
"boo'd"?

Booed!! Bood!! Boooooo!:cool:

turners56
05-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Cubs fans at their best, disrespecting one of the better players in the game, what drivel. This isn't Jacque Jones we're talking about, it's Alfonso Soriano. I guess they don't even know who Soriano is in the first place xD. Anyways, Alfonso will make them pay for these later in the year, he will bounce back. He had a slow start last year too.

rocky biddle
05-09-2008, 02:38 PM
After some of the things I heard White Sox fans yell at White Sox players at the game yesterday... let's just say that booing would have been more pleasant.

soxpride724
05-09-2008, 02:49 PM
He's always insisted on hitting leadoff, no matter where he plays. I don't get it, he's the last guy you want leading off.

I don't know why he is so comfortable there either? He has never thrived at leadoff...

Meixner007
05-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Cubs fans at their best, disrespecting one of the better players in the game, what drivel. This isn't Jacque Jones we're talking about, it's Alfonso Soriano. I guess they don't even know who Soriano is in the first place xD. Anyways, Alfonso will make them pay for these later in the year, he will bounce back. He had a slow start last year too.

Since when??? :scratch:

turners56
05-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Since when??? :scratch:

Who do you think that's a better LF than him? Matt Holliday? Before this year, Soriano's has been one of the premier players in the league.

Palehose Pete
05-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Audience: Boo! Boo!
Burns: Smithers...are they booing me?
Smithers: Uh, no, they're saying "Boo-urns! Boo-urns!"
Burns: Are you saying "boo" or "Boo-urns"?
Audience: Boo! Boo!
Hans: I was saying "Boo-urns"...

DSpivack
05-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Who do you think that's a better LF than him? Matt Holliday? Before this year, Soriano's has been one of the premier players in the league.

He's a slugger, I'll give him that. But he's a butcher in the field and not a great all-around hitter, nor does he really steal bases anymore, either.

Who is better in LF? I'll take Manny Ramirez, Matt Holliday, Adam Dunn, Carlos Lee and Ryan Braun (NL Central, hah) over Soriano.

Iwritecode
05-09-2008, 03:16 PM

Defensively or offensively?

Daver
05-09-2008, 03:18 PM
:whocares

Nellie_Fox
05-09-2008, 03:22 PM
"boo'd"?Fix'd.

WizardsofOzzie
05-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Next step is to pelt him with baseballs from the bleachers. Come on Cubs fans, don't let me down!

Meixner007
05-09-2008, 03:27 PM

Defensively he's awful. Offensively he's awful. Not to mention they have him until something ridiculous like 2014. Here are left fielders I'd rather have than him:

NL:
Jason Bay
Ryan Braun
Adam Dunn
Pat Burrell
Andre Ethier
Matt Holliday
Carlos Lee

AL:

Garrett Anderson
Emil Brown
Carl Crawford
Johnny Damon
Hideki Matsui
Carlos Quentin
Manny Ramirez

It's Time
05-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Next step is to pelt him with baseballs from the bleachers. Come on Cubs fans, don't let me down!

Na, they love him again. He knocked in the go ahread run with a double.

PatK
05-09-2008, 03:34 PM
The treatment of Soriano by the Cubs fans is absolutely hysterical.

I've never seen fans go from hating a guy to swinging from his nutsack in the blink if an eye like I have with him.

soxpride724
05-09-2008, 03:43 PM
The treatment of Soriano by the Cubs fans is absolutely hysterical.

I've never seen fans go from hating a guy to swinging from his nutsack in the blink if an eye like I have with him.

It's all about being fair weathered over there.

turners56
05-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Defensively or offensively?

Offensively, but he also does have a lot of assists...

SoxNation05
05-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Defensively he's awful. Offensively he's awful. Not to mention they have him until something ridiculous like 2014. Here are left fielders I'd rather have than him:

NL:
Jason Bay
Ryan Braun
Adam Dunn
Pat Burrell
Andre Ethier
Matt Holliday
Carlos Lee

AL:

Garrett Anderson
Emil Brown
Carl Crawford
Johnny Damon
Hideki Matsui
Carlos Quentin
Manny Ramirez
Let's be serious.

turners56
05-09-2008, 04:20 PM

NL:
Jason Bay
Ryan Braun
Adam Dunn
Pat Burrell
Andre Ethier
Matt Holliday
Carlos Lee

AL:

Garrett Anderson
Emil Brown
Carl Crawford
Johnny Damon
Hideki Matsui
Carlos Quentin
Manny Ramirez

NL:
Jason Bay - He had a worse year than Soriano last year.
Ryan Braun - He can't play defense either, but he is better offensively.
Adam Dunn - If you wanna compare strikeouts, you got yourself a good game. Plays bad defense, and hits similar amount of home runs. But Adam Dunn has no speed.
Pat Burrell - He's similar to Adam Dunn with less pop.
Andre Ethier - If you're willing to take 15 less homers (the Dodgers desperately need power too), be my guest.
Matt Holliday - He's the best LF in the game right now.
Carlos Lee - Right behind Holliday, offensive machine.

AL:

Garrett Anderson - You're taking a 36 year old instead of Soriano? :scratch:
Emil Brown - He got dumped by Kansas City, he's a very average player at best.
Carl Crawford - He is better than Soriano, minus the power.
Johnny Damon - Losing the legs and losing the bat, what can I say?
Hideki Matsui - He MIGHT be better than Soriano, it depends on what you need on a team. If you want a middle of the lineup hitter who will get on, Matsui is the guy.
Carlos Quentin - Right now? Maybe. In the future? Hell yea. But really, Carlos still needs to play more than a couple of months to show he's better than a proven All-Star like Soriano.
Manny Ramirez - He's lazy and he's lazy, and lazy some more. But he can hit. So I guess that's good...

I'm not saying Soriano is the best player alive or anything, but the fact is he certainly is one of the better outfielders around baseball (not defensively). He's shown he can hit a lot of home runs and drive in a good amount of runs throughout his career, there's no way he's already done. The guy was injured for the first month, give him a break already. Some Cubs fans don't remember how good he was for them down the stretch last year. I know he's no leadoff man and he is a total idiot for believing that he is, however, the guy really does produce runs from that spot.

DSpivack
05-09-2008, 04:32 PM
NL:
Jason Bay - He had a worse year than Soriano last year.
Ryan Braun - He can't play defense either, but he is better offensively.
Adam Dunn - If you wanna compare strikeouts, you got yourself a good game. Plays bad defense, and hits similar amount of home runs. But Adam Dunn has no speed.
Pat Burrell - He's similar to Adam Dunn with less pop.
Andre Ethier - If you're willing to take 15 less homers (the Dodgers desperately need power too), be my guest.
Matt Holliday - He's the best LF in the game right now.
Carlos Lee - Right behind Holliday, offensive machine.

AL:

Garrett Anderson - You're taking a 36 year old instead of Soriano? :scratch:
Emil Brown - He got dumped by Kansas City, he's a very average player at best.
Carl Crawford - He is better than Soriano, minus the power.
Johnny Damon - Losing the legs and losing the bat, what can I say?
Hideki Matsui - He MIGHT be better than Soriano, it depends on what you need on a team. If you want a middle of the lineup hitter who will get on, Matsui is the guy.
Carlos Quentin - Right now? Maybe. In the future? Hell yea. But really, Carlos still needs to play more than a couple of months to show he's better than a proven All-Star like Soriano.
Manny Ramirez - He's lazy and he's lazy, and lazy some more. But he can hit. So I guess that's good...

I'm not saying Soriano is the best player alive or anything, but the fact is he certainly is one of the better outfielders around baseball (not defensively). He's shown he can hit a lot of home runs and drive in a good amount of runs throughout his career, there's no way he's already done. The guy was injured for the first month, give him a break already. Some Cubs fans don't remember how good he was for them down the stretch last year. I know he's no leadoff man and he is a total idiot for believing that he is, however, the guy really does produce runs from that spot.

I think he's about the 5th or 6th best LFer in the game. The only thing he brings to the table these days is his power. Adam Dunn may be similar, but gets on base at a much, much higher clip than does Soriano. Manny may be Manny, but he's the best pure hitter of his generation, lazy or not. With Lee, Braun, Manny, Dunn, Holliday, and others, Soriano is quite a few notches down the list.

FedEx227
05-09-2008, 04:33 PM

That's the beef with him, nobody is saying he sucks, there are about 4-5 OF I'd have over him because of their all-around game, but him leading off is stupid and why he continues to be stubborn about it I beyond me, he's screwing himself.

DSpivack
05-09-2008, 04:34 PM
That's the beef with him, nobody is saying he sucks, there are about 4-5 OF I'd have over him because of their all-around game, but him leading off is stupid and why he continues to be stubborn about it I beyond me, he's screwing himself.

Screwing himself? He got a $136 million contract.

FedEx227
05-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Screwing himself? He got a $136 million contract.

I mean as apart of the Cubs in terms of fans liking him or putting up monster stats, his RBI totals would skyrocket if he was 4-5 in that lineup. But yeah, he got paid no doubt.

DSpivack
05-09-2008, 04:46 PM
I mean as apart of the Cubs in terms of fans liking him or putting up monster stats, his RBI totals would skyrocket if he was 4-5 in that lineup. But yeah, he got paid no doubt.

That much is true.

goon
05-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Let's be serious.

Eh, I'd definitely take Burrell or Dunn over him, I'd consider Bay. Brown, Damon and Anderson though...:scratch:

MCHSoxFan
05-09-2008, 05:53 PM
He's a slugger, I'll give him that. But he's a butcher in the field and not a great all-around hitter, nor does he really steal bases anymore, either.

Who is better in LF? I'll take Manny Ramirez, Matt Holliday, Adam Dunn, Carlos Lee and Ryan Braun (NL Central, hah) over Soriano.

TCQ?!?! :D:

NO...FOR REAL?!?!

Viva Medias B's
05-09-2008, 07:30 PM
I happened to be up there this afternoon to see the D-Backs. Soriano definitely was booed after he grounded out to third in the third inning. But when Soriano doubled down the left field line in the fifth, these same people booing him treated Alfonso as if he were Ernie Banks. And when Soriano went out to left field in the top of the sixth, the fans in the bleachers behind him could not get enough of him!

I decided to dress up in Arizona Wildcats apparel for the trip up there today, and I bet few people up there recognized the UA apparel. Had I won Sox gear, some assclown would probably have tried to talk smack with me. Ditto if I wore my D-Backs hat. Besides Diamondback fans being there, I did spot a number of Sox fans at Wrigley Field today as well as, interestingly enough, some Cardinal fans.

DSpivack
05-09-2008, 09:51 PM
TCQ?!?! :D:

NO...FOR REAL?!?!

He certainly looks the part thus far.

Stoky44
05-10-2008, 10:07 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/net/20050317/capt.75b3334eee0d8347ca8a791ffb0ec746
http://homerderby.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/sammy-sosa-kiss.jpg

"I didn't"

Who read that for him, I did not see his lawyer read that prepared statement since Sosa can't speak English in critical times, ie in front of Congress.

chaerulez
05-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Is Soriano overpaid? Yes.

Can he help a team win? Yes.

He probably would be better suited to be a DH in the AL because he simply can't play defense anywhere it seems. Maybe he would be a better fit in RF, who knows. I do know he shouldn't hit leadoff, he is better suited for a 4th or 5th spot in the lineup. And I think he doesn't steal as much because of his hamstring issue not necessarily because he has lost speed.

white sox bill
05-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Actually I think Alfonso is an exciting player, I mean everytime he gets a ball hit his way, you can't help but watch for the potential blooper!:smile:

fquaye149
05-10-2008, 05:24 PM

NL:
Jason Bay
Ryan Braun
Adam Dunn
Pat Burrell
Andre Ethier
Matt Holliday
Carlos Lee

AL:

Garrett Anderson
Emil Brown
Carl Crawford
Johnny Damon
Hideki Matsui
Carlos Quentin
Manny Ramirez

GMAB. If Jason Bay or Hideki Matsui were on the Cubs, you'd have this same list, only Soriano would be on it.

kittle42
05-10-2008, 06:03 PM
GMAB. If Jason Bay or Hideki Matsui were on the Cubs, you'd have this same list, only Soriano would be on it.

Agreed. it's much like the Ramirez/Crede crap. Put Ramirez on another team, and he's make all those Better Than Crede lists.

Jjav829
05-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Emil Brown should never be on any 'better than' list.

Optipessimism
05-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Let's be serious.
Bay, Dunn, Burrell, Ethier, Anderson, Brown, Damon...

I'd take any of those guys over Soriano simply because none of them are locked into crazy contracts like Soriano.

Damon gets on at a better rate, plays better in the OF even though he doesn't have the arm, makes more contact, hits for higher average, and does the type of things that you actually want out of a top-of-the-lineup hitter. Dunn is a better hitter and true clean-up hitter.

Ethier gives you better D, better contact, better average, better OBP without the slugging or speed of Soriano and would again fit at the top of a lineup better than Soriano.

Burrell is at least gives a good argument for being as valuable a player. You have Soriano's speed and career .281/.326/.514 or Burrell and his .259/.369/.486 line.

Brown, Anderson, and Bay aren't better players right now but at least their contracts aren't horrid. For what Brown and Bay are making, and for what Anderson will make after he hits FA next year, their production will be a lot more in line with their pay than Soriano's production is. When you factor in the ****ty defense, low OBP, high K rate, poor lead-off man leading off, etc. with all that money it looks bad. I'd rather have a guy like Emil Brown out there who I could platoon and release if necessary without a problem than tie up all that money in a player like Soriano.

I mean think about it. Soriano can't hit lead-off effectively because he can't get on base. He can slug, and that's good for the middle of the lineup, but he K's a ton and doesn't take the walks to balance it out, so he's not your ideal #3 or #4 hitter either, or even an ideal #5 hitter. He's more like a #6 or #7 hitter and a DH. His speed is greatly offset by his low OBP. He's not really perfect for any role other than the bottom of the lineup but he gets a lot of money because he's toolsy. For as much love Soriano got after his career year in Washington, there was a reason Yankee fans were so excited to get rid of him ASIDE from the obvious acquistion of A-Rod. If you could go down the list and name the top 6-7 most ideal current players for each position on the field and for each of the first 6 spots in the batting order Soriano would be left off almost every non-Cub fan list, yet he's paid like he's one of the best. He's a luxury #7 hitter batting lead-off and I'm glad the Cubs are stuck with a contract that will quickly become an albatross.

fquaye149
05-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Bay, Dunn, Burrell, Ethier, Anderson, Brown, Damon...

You kidding me? I'll take a solid player at a long contract over ****ing Garrett Anderson or Johnny Damon giving you mediocrity.

In Anderson's case, submediocrity.

and at a hitting position too!

Optipessimism
05-10-2008, 06:47 PM
You kidding me? I'll take a solid player at a long contract over ****ing Garrett Anderson or Johnny Damon giving you mediocrity.

In Anderson's case, submediocrity.

and at a hitting position too!

Anderson's career: .296/.327/.470
Soriano's career: .281/.326/.514

Anderson's 2007: .297/.336/.492
Soriano's 2007: .299/.337/.560

Anderson currently: .241/.278/.416
Soriano currently: .223/.267/.372

I don't know where you get all this "sub-mediocrity" about Anderson and "solid player" about Soriano from. I think you're buying the hype. Soriano hits home runs and runs fast so he must be light years better, right? Anderson has been a better pure hitter his whole career and can play the OF. The only questions about him have been his health. I doubt Anderson will sign for more than $5 mil on a one year deal next year, maybe even less than that. What's Soriano making, like $17-19 million per year or so? Plug in Garret for lets say $5 mil, add a backup who can play the OF and hit righties a little bit for about another $1 mil or less, then put that $11-13 mil or so extra towards other needs on the club. You'll end up with better defense, probably equal or better in terms of batting average, OBP, and with only a slight drop in SLG if Anderson is platooned. You'll essentially trade Soriano's webgem arm and mostly useless speed for another SP, some bullpen help, or some other significant upgrade on offense. And, you won't be saddled with that ridiculous contract.

*Edit: I forgot to respond to your comment about LF being an offensive position. Yes, it is an offensive position but poor defense can hurt you on the field in nine different places. That still is a factor although certainly not as big of a factor when compared to other more important positions. Offense doesn't necessarily mean home runs either. It can mean making contact, getting hits, putting the ball in play, etc. and it is very important to have guys like this when you have a lineup, like the Cubs' lineup for instance, that is chalk full of high-K guys. Anderson K'd 54 times in 417 AB's last year, and he fits much better as a #2 hitter, a #5, or a #6 hitter. Soriano doesn't fit really anywhere except 6th or lower. He's paid because of his likeliness to end up on an ESPN highlight reel, not because he's as great as people say he is.

fquaye149
05-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Anderson's career: .296/.327/.470
Soriano's career: .281/.326/.514

Anderson's 2007: .297/.336/.492
Soriano's 2007: .299/.337/.560

Anderson currently: .241/.278/.416
Soriano currently: .223/.267/.372

:rolleyes:

Notice how when you look at 2007, you see that Soriano is SIGNIFICANTLY better (to the tune of 68 points of OPS) than Anderson.

If you look at the last three years, you'll see that bear out:

OPS+

Anderson:

2007:114
2006:94
2005:97

Soriano:

2007: 128
2006: 135
2005: 109

:-/

Frontman
05-10-2008, 06:52 PM
That's the beef with him, nobody is saying he sucks, there are about 4-5 OF I'd have over him because of their all-around game, but him leading off is stupid and why he continues to be stubborn about it I beyond me, he's screwing the Cubs chances to win; so he can have the ego-stroke of being the lead-off hitter.

That's more of what its about. Soriano is laughing all the way to the bank; in the meantime his solo homers could of come with a few more RBI's attached if the free-swinging, catch-hopping, bird-legged speed-threat-who-can't-steal-much-anymore would check his ego at the door and do what was best for the team.

Optipessimism
05-10-2008, 07:01 PM
:rolleyes:

Notice how when you look at 2007, you see that Soriano is SIGNIFICANTLY better (to the tune of 68 points of OPS) than Anderson.

If you look at the last three years, you'll see that bear out:

OPS+

Anderson:

2007:114
2006:94
2005:97

Soriano:

2007: 128
2006: 135
2005: 109

:-/
I guess I failed to take into account the new holy grail of stats. Sorry. OPS+ FTW!!!!

fquaye149
05-10-2008, 07:27 PM
I guess I failed to take into account the new holy grail of stats. Sorry. OPS+ FTW!!!!

Well, we could look at regular OPS if you'd like, but that makes Soriano look even more superior to Anderson since OPS+ adjusts for the fact that Soriano plays in a hitter's park and Anderson plays in a pitcher's park

Raw OPS (i.e. OBP+SLG)

Anderson:

2007: 828
2006: 756
2005: 743

Not good

Soriano:

2007:897
2006: 911
2005: 821

Not outstanding but quite a bit better

Last 3 years, HR/2B/RBI/SB

Soriano:

115/126/269/90

Anderson:
50/93/261/3

But yeah, dude. You're right. Anderson definitely comes close to being the offensive force Soriano is :rolleyes:

Juice16
05-16-2008, 02:09 PM
2 home runs today, 5 in the last week. It appears now the Cubs are getting their money's worth.

Rocky Soprano
05-16-2008, 02:12 PM
2 home runs today, 5 in the last week. It appears now the Cubs are getting their money's worth.

He was bound to heat up, getting their money's worth, thats a whole different issue.

kittle42
05-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Will the Cubs go undefeated v. Pittsburgh this season?

oeo
05-16-2008, 02:33 PM

Does anyone ever win 19 games in one year against the same team?

soxfan13
05-16-2008, 02:49 PM

Are you just gonna ignore them when they sweep the good teams like Arizona. Lets get the the blinders off folks . The Cubs are a good team and there is nothing you can do about it.

It's Dankerific
05-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Are you just gonna ignore them when they sweep the good teams like Arizona. Lets get the the blinders off folks . The Cubs are a good team and there is nothing you can do about it.

They played one series well against a non pirate team and they are for real? I'll think I'll just side with history on this one. when they win the NLCS, I'll take the "blinders" off.

Uncle_Patrick
05-16-2008, 03:15 PM

I don't think Kittle was ignoring anything by asking if the Cubs would go undefeated against the Pirates.

Iwritecode
05-16-2008, 03:25 PM
This is the second year in a row where the Cubs and Pirates have been one of the teams not playing interleague while the rest of the league does...

:scratch:

gogosox16
05-16-2008, 03:31 PM
This is the second year in a row where the Cubs and Pirates have been one of the teams not playing interleague while the rest of the league does...

theres 2 more NL teams than AL

DSpivack
05-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Does anyone ever win 19 games in one year against the same team?

A friend asked me that same question the other day (if that has ever happened). I didn't know the answer.

SoxGirl4Life
05-16-2008, 03:58 PM

I was thinking the same thing. What are the chances that the cubs essentially get a "buy" two years in a row?

Last year, they only played 12 interleague games (and six of them were against the Sox).

AND this year everyone else in the NL Central plays at least BOS or NYY except them? Come to think of it tho, Toronto, Tampa and Balitmore might be tougher on them this year.

Iwritecode
05-16-2008, 04:03 PM

I realize that. I guess I had it backwards.

Every AL team plays 6 interleague series this year. All the NL teams except the Padres and Nationals will only play 5.

This is simply because of the fact that there has to be two NL teams playing each other 6 of those weekends. 6*2 = 12 teams.

I guess there hasn't been a year when the Cubs have been one of those 2 NL teams that gets stuck playing 6 series instead of 5.

fquaye149
05-16-2008, 04:05 PM

Bud Selig, visionary :puke:

fquaye149
05-16-2008, 04:06 PM
I was thinking the same thing. What are the chances that the cubs essentially get a "buy" two years in a row?

I'm more concerned with whether Jerry gets a cell...sorry, sell.

Demafrost
05-16-2008, 04:41 PM
I realize that. I guess I had it backwards.

Every AL team plays 6 interleague series this year. All the NL teams except the Padres and Nationals will only play 5.

This is simply because of the fact that there has to be two NL teams playing each other 6 of those weekends. 6*2 = 12 teams.

I guess there hasn't been a year when the Cubs have been one of those 2 NL teams that gets stuck playing 6 series instead of 5.

I could be wrong but I think every NLC team plays 5 every year because there are 6 teams in the division vs. 5/5/4 for the AL divisions. They are always unequal.

DSpivack
05-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Bud Selig, visionary :puke:

I don't like Selig as much as the next guy, but when you have 30 teams, 16/14 makes a heck of a lot more sense than 15/15. Who wants interleague play all the time?

There hasn't been any talk of it that I know of, and the last discussion a few years ago about was about contraction, but doesn't 32 teams make the most sense in terms of scheduling and playoffs and what not? Not sure if more expansion is in the works, however.

the1tab
05-16-2008, 06:00 PM
They played one series well against a non pirate team and they are for real? I'll think I'll just side with history on this one. when they win the NLCS, I'll take the "blinders" off.

My blinders are off ladies & gents.

The Cubs offense is for real. The kid catcher Soto is absolutely legit so far. They're pretty good from top to bottom.

Their pitching staff leaves a LOT to be desired, though. Ryan Dempster has been really, really good thus far, but he's been closing for what? 3 years? You can't honestly expect 200 innings from him. Ted Lilly's had consecutive 10+ strikeout games... but he's struggling to get himself over .500 for the season. And Jon Lieber/Rich Hill/Jason Marquis is a joke. If the kid that starte today, Gallagher, shows up for a couple months that's a huge plus, but as far as I can see they're at least 2 starters from filling a rotation.

However, if you look at who's playing who and how they're playing, you can come up with every excuse in the book (lots of home games, playing the Pirates a lot, the wind blowing out once a week, their payroll, etc) but the Diamondbacks have the best record in baseball and the Cubs took them to task. No, they didn't face Brandon Webb, but they put a couple crooked numbers on Dan Haren and he's been top-tier this season.

The Cubs ARE a good team... and the fact that they're killing people in this city while the Sox are playing at 9 PM makes it twice as hard to put up with.

comet2k
05-16-2008, 06:26 PM
The Pirates are 0-7 against the Cubs but 20-15 against the rest of the league, so they aren't the easiest team to beat. I agree, the Cubs are good this year. We don't have to likethem, but give 'em credit.

jonred
05-16-2008, 10:57 PM

They will finish the night with the best record in baseball. They have a solid team.

Nellie_Fox
05-17-2008, 12:34 AM
...give 'em credit.Never.

Juice16
05-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Soriano has 2 more HRs today. What is going on with this guy?

the1tab
05-17-2008, 02:14 PM
He's on a 1998-Sosa-esque tear right now that's bordering on silly...

If the media didn't have a big enough Cub bias before, wait until Soriano become the new poster child of the city.

oeo
05-17-2008, 03:15 PM
A friend asked me that same question the other day (if that has ever happened). I didn't know the answer.

I'm going to take a guess and say no. It's hard enough to sweep a single series, let alone 19 games over the course of an entire season.

oeo
05-17-2008, 03:17 PM
The kid catcher Soto is absolutely legit so far.

Whether or not he's getting some help is an entirely different story.

SOXSINCE'70
05-17-2008, 03:28 PM
He's on a 1998-Sosa-esque tear right now that's bordering on silly...

HGH?? 'Roids?? Is it real or is it Memorex??
We'll see.But I am suspicious.:shrug:

oeo
05-17-2008, 03:32 PM
HGH?? 'Roids?? Is it real or is it Memorex??
We'll see.But I am suspicious.:shrug:

Soriano has shown the ability to hit 40 homeruns a year.

If you want someone to be suspicious of, look to Soto. Nothing but a fat slob with a weak bat, and suddenly, in one year mind you, he turns into an absolute beast. Something fishy there.

Jjav829
05-17-2008, 05:26 PM

If you want someone to be suspicious of, look to Soto. Nothing but a fat slob with a weak bat, and suddenly, in one year mind you, he turns into an absolute beast. Something fishy there.

It is a little weird that he went from 6 homers in 2006 (with a career high of 9 in 2004) to 26 in 2007. That said, I don't know very much about him or the parks. It's possible that he was just one of those guys where the power was the last thing to come.

getonbckthr
05-17-2008, 05:41 PM

It is a little weird that he went from 6 homers in 2006 (with a career high of 9 in 2004) to 26 in 2007. That said, I don't know very much about him or the parks. It's possible that he was just one of those guys where the power was the last thing to come.
Also factor in plate approach and workout routine. Late bloomer is a possibility. It would shock me that Soto has beat the odds this season and been juicin without detection.

DickAllen72
05-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Also factor in plate approach and workout routine. Late bloomer is a possibility. It would shock me that Soto has beat the odds this season and been juicin without detection.
Have they been testing for HGH yet?

Nellie_Fox
05-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Have they been testing for HGH yet?Nope.

soxfanreggie
05-18-2008, 09:05 AM
They are going to boo him some days and love him the next. Making as much as he does, he will go no lee-way on his performance. They will expect the 4-4 days every day and will become upset if he struggles. I don't know a lot of players who come back from injuries and explode, so I can understand why he struggled after that. Right now, he's in the Cubs fans' good graces.

I just hope if Quentin has a rough patch at some point that we realize what he has given us overall and that nobody is perfect everyday and can have a rough stretch (although I hope one never occurs).