PDA

View Full Version : Ed Farmer

turners56
05-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Over the past decade or so, the White Sox have always been a power-hitting team, we all know that, and in some cases, we as fans, don't like the team being that way, hence it's too one-dimensional.

During this offensive slump of ours recently, I've grown so tired of Ed Farmer calling for home runs whenever the Sox get somebody on base, it's like he's putting the mentality of our hitters into our ears, always saying, "Thome can put the Sox up 3" or something like that.

I don't know about some of you, but I grew annoyed of that during the past week or two, especially because this team was not hitting period. You don't go for home runs when you can't hit a lick, you take good swings and go for hits, not long balls. I haven't been so critical of Farmio before simply because I haven't seen the team play such terribly bad offensive baseball before, but now I'm well aware of Farmer's over-expectation of the long-ball and it's just spewing what the club is thinking, "hit it as far as you can and hope you make contact".

twsoxfan5
05-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Ed Famer's predictions are very low on my list of things to worry about when it comes to the White Sox.

kittle42
05-09-2008, 01:19 PM
It's better than hearing about his mass schedule on Sundays.

turners56
05-09-2008, 01:21 PM
It's better than hearing about his mass schedule on Sundays.

Doesn't it get old though? It's like he's homer-happy...

alohafri
05-09-2008, 01:49 PM
It isn't like he has a hotline to the dugout and can make suggestions to them. But I do agree, it can get old.

I actually like hearing his mass references. I don't know why...

kevingrt
05-09-2008, 01:49 PM

He's being realistic. The only way this team seems to score is through the HR. And it has been for a LONG LONG time. I'm talking a decade or so. Not quite but 6 years.

DumpJerry
05-09-2008, 01:54 PM
He wants to be Harry Caray. "OOOOO for a long one!"

SoxGirl4Life
05-09-2008, 02:00 PM

I know he wasn't part of the '77 team, but he was a fan and played for them in that era... Sox have always liked a perfectly whacked home-run.

turners56
05-09-2008, 02:04 PM
He's being realistic. The only way this team seems to score is through the HR. And it has been for a LONG LONG time. I'm talking a decade or so. Not quite but 6 years.

That bothers me more than anything, the mentality of trying to hit the home run and the home run only is bad (I thought Ozzie Guillen liked small-ball better? Whatever happened to getting solid hits rather than popping up and striking out when trying to hit a homer?) and in my opinion, was the cause of the terribly bad streak of ours lately. And I already said that in my opening paragraph, I'm well aware of what this team has been doing for the last 10 years, especially after Kenny took over.

TDog
05-09-2008, 02:56 PM
It isn't like he has a hotline to the dugout and can make suggestions to them. But I do agree, it can get old.

In 1969 and 1970, in Old Comiskey, crowds for midweek day games were so small that the field microphone for television sometimes picked up Bob Elson and Red Rush. Even in 1971, you could sometimes hear radio-only Harry Caray on televising. But, of course, that no longer is the case.

Ed Farmer is interpreting the game for the fans, and I'm guessing he isn't calling for a home run when the Sox are losing 13-0. I don't know if he is any good at it or even annoying. I know players used to get into physical altercations with Harry Caray because of things that got back to them, but Ed Farmer certainly has no influence on how the hitters attack pitchers.

skottyj242
05-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Most of the players have piece in their ear and listen to the broadcast.

TomBradley72
05-09-2008, 03:20 PM
If Ed Farmer says it...there's a good chance it will annoy me.

October26
05-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Phew! When I first saw the thread, I thought something had happened to Ed. Glad this is yet another discussion thread to pass the time until the Sox play again.

I'll take Ed Farmer any day over some of the garbage that is posing as broadcasters on XM radio. I love baseball and I like to listen to other teams when the Sox are not playing. I'm telling you - there are some BAD radio announcers out there (see Cubs, Yankees and Red Sox).

One thing I've noticed about Farmer this past week or so is that his voice sounds kinda flat (might be that Sox record of 2 and 7 in their last 9 games). He sounds beaten down and even his home run calls have been a little dull. Yesterday's game was the first time he sounded excited in a while.

I'm looking forward to hearing Robin Ventura on the radio with Ed tonight. :smile:

turners56
05-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Most of the players have piece in their ear and listen to the broadcast.

That's not my point, I'm just sick of Farmer trying to call home runs. I don't know how to really put it, but I don't like to think of the long-ball so highly, plus it just flat out tells us what the organization is thinking of: the home run.

Home runs are great, but when you can't produce runs, your team is one dimensional and will most likely be incredibly inconsistent, inconsistency doesn't win championships, we all know that. Even though the 05 White Sox offense wasn't very good, it did enough night in and night out to give the Sox a chance to win.

Sometimes, this 08 team is basically all or nothing, you'll have a couple of games in there where it looks like they are doing the right thing at the plate, a couple of blowouts, and then a couple of games where you just go, "What?".

I know all of this has very little to do with Ed Farmer, but he is part of the White Sox organization, the fact he's so homer-happy shows that the entire organization, is in fact, homer-happy as well. I think that's pretty evident to some of us, but I'm just sayin'...

BainesHOF
05-09-2008, 03:57 PM
I think two things might be at work here...

One, I think it's one way Farmer goes out of his way to spin things to make the team look better. Instead of saying the Sox are losing 2-0, he says a home run will give us a 3-2 lead. If he put it like that once in awhile nobody would give it a second thought. But he spins things all the time, and it gets annoying.

Two, I think it might be Farmer's way of making himself look good if the player actually homers.

NADA SURF
05-12-2008, 03:03 PM
...other than that screechy Niedhaus guy in Seattle, Farmer has to be the worst play-by-play guy in the game.

LITTLE NELL
05-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Growing up with the Go-Go White Sox of the 50s and 60s its sort of been a treat to see all these Homers that we have hit in this decade, I think we are 2nd behind the Yankees since 2000. That being said I sure as hell would like to see a more balanced attack much like 1983 and 2005. If we only had Aparicio and Fox up there at the top of the batting order.

NADA SURF
05-12-2008, 03:41 PM
In 1969 and 1970, in Old Comiskey, crowds for midweek day games were so small that the field microphone for television sometimes picked up Bob Elson and Red Rush. Even in 1971, you could sometimes hear radio-only Harry Caray on televising. But, of course, that no longer is the case.

Ed Farmer is interpreting the game for the fans, and I'm guessing he isn't calling for a home run when the Sox are losing 13-0. I don't know if he is any good at it or even annoying. I know players used to get into physical altercations with Harry Caray because of things that got back to them, but Ed Farmer certainly has no influence on how the hitters attack pitchers.Remember that time Richie Zisk called out Harry and Harry went out onto the field before the next game and said, "Here I am" or something to the like?

Lip Man 1
05-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Nada:

Are you perhaps thinking of this? (From Jimmy Piersall's interview with WSI)

ML: Returning to broadcasting baseball Jimmy, you were a guy who played hard all the time, you asked no quarter and gave none and your broadcasting style was the same way. Some players didn’t appreciate the things that you and Harry sometimes said. You were telling me a story about Ralph Garr one day coming after you on it. Can you explain that a little more?

JP: “Ralph was one of the nicest guys you’ll ever want to meet, he was the type of guy who always had a smile on his face, he enjoyed playing the game but when he put that glove on, he turned into Frankenstein. I just said on the air that he was a bad defensive outfielder. The next day I’m down on the field and he comes up to me and says, ‘hey blankety blank, why have you been saying I’m so bad? Didn’t you ever make an error?’ I said, ‘Ralph in seventeen years, I made 39 errors.’ He shut up quickly and walked away from me.”

“I wasn’t trying to say anything to hurt anybody. The fact is that I said what I saw. I said it because it was the player himself who screwed up. If you don’t want the announcers to say anything about it, then don’t screw up. You do it to yourself. White Sox fans know baseball, they are knowledgeable. They were saying the same thing themselves.”

Lip

Frontman
05-13-2008, 12:43 AM

As far as enjoying the Farmio-isms. For me, its just a reminder of some of old neighborhood, "back in the day" type things you get from older players and fans and I can get a kick out of it.

When I met Ed and told him I was from Bridgeport originally; Ed's question to me wasn't "What street were you on" but "What parish were you from?" knowing that at the time I would of been growing up there; it would of been predominately Irish Catholics.

People just don't talk that way anymore. Heck, to even admit your religion nowadays can be grounds for an uprising; so Ed mentioning "Today is a Day of Obligation in the Holy Catholic Church......did you get to Mass today, Chris?" (from last season) is kinda fun.

I am waiting for him to screw up and ask Steve Stone that; just to see how Farmio would handle, "Well, Ed. I didn't make it to Mass today because; well, I'm Jewish."

I have a feeling Ed would get back to calling the game rather quickly. :wink:

NADA SURF
05-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Nada:

Are you perhaps thinking of this? (From Jimmy Piersall's interview with WSI)

ML: Returning to broadcasting baseball Jimmy, you were a guy who played hard all the time, you asked no quarter and gave none and your broadcasting style was the same way. Some players didn’t appreciate the things that you and Harry sometimes said. You were telling me a story about Ralph Garr one day coming after you on it. Can you explain that a little more?

JP: “Ralph was one of the nicest guys you’ll ever want to meet, he was the type of guy who always had a smile on his face, he enjoyed playing the game but when he put that glove on, he turned into Frankenstein. I just said on the air that he was a bad defensive outfielder. The next day I’m down on the field and he comes up to me and says, ‘hey blankety blank, why have you been saying I’m so bad? Didn’t you ever make an error?’ I said, ‘Ralph in seventeen years, I made 39 errors.’ He shut up quickly and walked away from me.”

“I wasn’t trying to say anything to hurt anybody. The fact is that I said what I saw. I said it because it was the player himself who screwed up. If you don’t want the announcers to say anything about it, then don’t screw up. You do it to yourself. White Sox fans know baseball, they are knowledgeable. They were saying the same thing themselves.”

LipI know about the Garr/Piersall thing from reading that story on here a few years ago...I can't remember where I read about Zisk/Caray but I'll try to find it...I may have been told that by Rollie Hemond. I have quotes from an interview I did with Steve Stone this past year and I'll look through those and post them soon. It was about the '77 season.

fusillirob1983
05-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Did anyone hear him talking about the Angels' outfield the other night? He wasn't talking about their outifielders, but he was talking about the history of the Angels ballpark, how the Rams played there, how it was changed, the rocks were added in the outfield and it reminded him of a Disneyland ride.

Frontman
05-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Did anyone hear him talking about the Angels' outfield the other night? He wasn't talking about their outifielders, but he was talking about the history of the Angels ballpark, how the Rams played there, how it was changed, the rocks were added in the outfield and it reminded him of a Disneyland ride.

Yep. That's more entertaining than golf stories.

turners56
05-15-2008, 08:09 AM
He predicted that fastball to Quentin yesterday. I hate it when he says Juan Uribe is dangerous because he can hit the home run...yea, that is if he ever makes good contact.

comet2k
05-15-2008, 10:45 AM
When he says a HR could give the Sox the lead, isn't he just stating the obvious and what a lot of others are thinking? He says a lot of similar things, such as a double play could end the inning or fly ball would tie the game. It's just his style.