PDA

View Full Version : Fenway goes to 35th St

Fenway
05-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Today was a joy. A decent game and just being around people who actually know baseball.

Got to see an old friend plus INR

2 observations....

Why would a scalper be SELLING ( or trying to ) parking permits at the CTA station????:scratch:

Nancy asked me to get her a Pepsi and gave me a coupon. Grab the drink and go back to the booth and then she tells me how to get a free drink. She says she always gets a coupon for being a designated driver.

They can't give her a coupon for a drink??? :?:

Send regards from the Boston organist who grew up in Northbrook and worshipped her. She knows him well and I mentioned he is sneaking in "Runaround Sue" and she beamed then said I wish I could do it here :(:

my favorite beer vendor was working today

and of course something remains from the old park :tongue:

BRDSR
05-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Crowd looked pretty decent today for a Thursday afternoon game.

If you use your imagination a little, the beer vendor looks a lot like a 55 year old A.J. Pierzynski. See if you can see it.

gregoriop
05-08-2008, 06:53 PM
It's weird seeing what people on the Internet look like. I would have totally fainted if I got to get my picture taken with Nancy.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-08-2008, 06:57 PM
If you use your imagination a little, the beer vendor looks a lot like a 55 year old A.J. Pierzynski. See if you can see it.

:thumbsup: Haha! Good call. It's AJ's long lost father. This has the makings of a movie of the week.

roylestillman
05-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Ah, the old sycamore tree on 35th Street. I check on it (and the sign) every Opening Day.

There was something in the air today. One of the best crowds (quality not quantity) I've been with in years. No fights, no drunks and plenty of kids having the time of their lives.

Fenway
05-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Ah, the old sycamore tree on 35th Street. I check on it (and the sign) every Opening Day.

There was something in the air today. One of the best crowds (quality not quantity) I've been with in years. No fights, no drunks and plenty of kids having the time of their lives.

Yes it was a great atmosphere today. It has been a long time since we have had a crowd like that at Fenway which is now a glorified theme park.

kevingrt
05-08-2008, 07:25 PM

If I was there you couldn't have said that comment.

Nice crowd for a semi-important game mentally this early in the season. It's nice to win a series again. It felt likes ages sincew we won that series @ home versus Baltimore. And actually, we haven't even officially won it yet.

MarySwiss
05-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Yes it was a great atmosphere today. It has been a long time since we have had a crowd like that at Fenway which is now a glorified theme park.

You still owe me a beer.

LongLiveFisk
05-08-2008, 07:40 PM

Those are my favorite games--weekday games. I am going to get some tickets for June 19th vs. Pittsburgh so I can enjoy another one. :D:

Fenway
05-08-2008, 08:13 PM
You still owe me a beer.

Hey I am Belmont and Broadway watching Red Sox, Celtics and Stanley Cup Life is Good hurry up

Sawx win Celtics win Sox win a good day all around

Frontman
05-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Crowd looked pretty decent today for a Thursday afternoon game.

Does the beer vendor insult you then slap his case when he sells a beer? :wink:

chisoxfanatic
05-08-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm glad you had fun at the greatest place to watch a baseball game, Fenway. Where exactly is that Sycamore tree? I have probably passed it tons of times but haven't taken notice.

itsnotrequired
05-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Where exactly is that Sycamore tree? I have probably passed it tons of times but haven't taken notice.

Jeez, even I know where that is.

:anon:

Fenway
05-08-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm glad you had fun at the greatest place to watch a baseball game, Fenway. Where exactly is that Sycamore tree? I have probably passed it tons of times but haven't taken notice.

Right on 35th. If I recall correctly it was just beyond the right field gate at the old Comiskey.

Fun afternoon now I have to suffer a weekend at the Twinkie Dome ugh

DumpJerry
05-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Where exactly is that Sycamore tree? I have probably passed it tons of times but haven't taken notice.
You need to get to more Sox games.

It's right outside the gate my friends and I used all the time to get to the games when we were in high school. It's one of the gates they opened up for us to exit after Disco Demolition Night. The ticket booths were right by it.

You can't miss it.

chisoxfanatic
05-08-2008, 09:40 PM
You need to get to more Sox games.

I do, don't I? :cool:

nasox
05-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Today was a joy. A decent game and just being around people who actually know baseball.

Got to see an old friend plus INR

2 observations....

Why would a scalper be SELLING ( or trying to ) parking permits at the CTA station????:scratch:

Nancy asked me to get her a Pepsi and gave me a coupon. Grab the drink and go back to the booth and then she tells me how to get a free drink. She says she always gets a coupon for being a designated driver.

Send regards from the Boston organist who grew up in Northbrook and worshipped her. She knows him well and I mentioned he is sneaking in "Runaround Sue" and she beamed then said I wish I could do it here :(:

my favorite beer vendor was working today

and of course something remains from the old park :tongue:

Who is the Boston organist? When did he grow up around Northbrook?

ChiSoxFan35
05-08-2008, 10:07 PM
That vendor has his own baseball card

Fenway
05-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Who is the Boston organist? When did he grow up around Northbrook?

His name is Josh Kantor and he in his early 30's. Works at Harvard Law School and the Sawx hired him in 2003. Last couple of years they have been giving him more time.

BTW what the hell was that music they played today when the Sox won??????????? There is only one song that should be played and it is by Jake and Elwood which they finally played before Ozzie TV came on.

I want Mags back
05-08-2008, 11:49 PM
BTW what the hell was that music they played today when the Sox won??????????? There is only one song that should be played and it is by Jake and Elwood which they finally played before Ozzie TV came on.

You mean its by Robert Johnson, the Blues Brothers justy happen to sing it on the track they use

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Home_Chicago

Fenway
05-09-2008, 02:55 AM
You mean its by Robert Johnson, the Blues Brothers justy happen to sing it on the track they use

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Home_Chicago

Sox win a game it should be SWEET HOME CHICAGO first

just my 2 cents

Frater Perdurabo
05-09-2008, 06:09 AM

Why can't Nancy play "Runaround Sue?" :?:

soxpride724
05-09-2008, 08:03 AM
All decked out in Red Sox gear I see:D:

RTI_SoxFan
05-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Ha- I remember seeing a picture of Fenway from a previous post. Anyways, yesterday, I was waiting for a bus at Belmont and Halsted and a guy walked by me decked out in Red Sox gear. I got a decent look at him as he walked by me and I said to myself, "that looks like Fenway from WSI." Now, when I see the picture with him and Nancy, it sure as heck was Fenway walking down Belmont on his way to the bar at Belmont and Broadway.

Looks like you got some souveniers as well!

southside rocks
05-09-2008, 09:21 AM

Glad you had a good time. I have been going to Sox games for 40 years and I am always happy to find that the people around me -- I have the Ozzie Plan so I sit in different seats every time -- will talk baseball and have group conversations going by the 3rd inning.

In the early 70's, the attendance was not great, but in the outfield seats (which cost $1.75) you would find a lot of older fans from the neighborhood, on a summer afternoon, comparing the players on the field to players from ten and twenty years earlier. It was a great place to soak up baseball/fan history.

Some of that has survived to the new park, the Cell, and I enjoy it tremendously.

skobabe8
05-09-2008, 10:01 AM

Wait......................WHAT?!?! :?::o:

VeeckAsInWreck
05-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Wait......................WHAT?!?! :?::o:

I bet it's some demographics bull****. I'm sure somebody said to Nancy we'd like to be a little more contemporary and "Run Around Sue" is too old. So could you play something that the kids today know? Or better yet, you can have some more time off and we'll play some of that rock and hip hop that the kids love.

Cat Thief
05-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Nancy still looks great.

Foulke You
05-09-2008, 10:37 AM
I thought I was the only one who checked on the old tree. You can see that tree in a lot of old photos of Comiskey Park. Who knows how long that giant has been next to the park. It wouldn't surprise me if it was older than the Sox team itself.

Fenway
05-09-2008, 11:23 AM
I bet it's some demographics bull****. I'm sure somebody said to Nancy we'd like to be a little more contemporary and "Run Around Sue" is too old. So could you play something that the kids today know? Or better yet, you can have some more time off and we'll play some of that rock and hip hop that the kids love.

The reason she gave was she doesn't have enough time to play it. I didn't push it but she must have a very exact window of when she plays.

There was a story in one of the New York papers about the Mets organist Jane Jarvis who was let go when Fred Wilpon bought the team. She is 93 now and would love to play one last time at Shea but so far the Mets have said no.

Yankees hired two organists to replace the late Eddie Layton.

Fenway
05-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Ha- I remember seeing a picture of Fenway from a previous post. Anyways, yesterday, I was waiting for a bus at Belmont and Halsted and a guy walked by me decked out in Red Sox gear. I got a decent look at him as he walked by me and I said to myself, "that looks like Fenway from WSI." Now, when I see the picture with him and Nancy, it sure as heck was Fenway walking down Belmont on his way to the bar at Belmont and Broadway.

Looks like you got some souveniers as well!

Yes I did pick up some goodies. Actually had a decent Philly Cheese Steak on Belmont.

Bar was packed with Sox fans who had gone to the game. Yes there are Sox fans in Lakeview. Their hatred for the team a mile away was intense.

White Sox fanbase reminds me of the Mets. Mets own Queens, Brooklyn and Long Island but get away from the city it is all Yankees. Same applies in Chicago.

But for those who say the Sox don't get respect I will just point out that the CTA named a station SOX-35th but did not name the other team CUBS-Addison

SoxandtheCityTee
05-09-2008, 12:07 PM

Which side of 35th is it on, and which block? I've looked for it before.

Edit: Whoops, I read the whole thread now.

KnightSox
05-09-2008, 12:11 PM
But for those who say the Sox don't get respect I will just point out that the CTA named a station SOX-35th but did not name the other team CUBS-AddisonThat's what you get when the Mayor is a Sox fan and Bridgeport native.

Fenway
05-09-2008, 12:36 PM
I thought I was the only one who checked on the old tree. You can see that tree in a lot of old photos of Comiskey Park. Who knows how long that giant has been next to the park. It wouldn't surprise me if it was older than the Sox team itself.

There has to be a story on who put the sign up in the first place. I would guess it was Veeck who was responsible.

Anybody know when the sign was put up. I know it was there in 1981.

roylestillman
05-09-2008, 01:33 PM
There has to be a story on who put the sign up in the first place. I would guess it was Veeck who was responsible.

Anybody know when the sign was put up. I know it was there in 1981.

I'm betting it dates back to the Allyn years (the blue and white color scheme days.) I never remember it not being there and I'm 50.

Fenway
05-09-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm betting it dates back to the Allyn years (the blue and white color scheme days.) I never remember it not being there and I'm 50.

The sign certainly has aged well. It has not faded at all.

I have always used the tree as a place to meet friends before a game just like the bat at Yankee Stadium.

I just love going to a game as a fan. When you are working a game it is another kettle of fish.

BTW I have no desire to go to Wrigley. I didn't like the park 30 years ago and I dislike it more today.

Whoever buys Wrigley should hire Janet Marie Smith away from the Red Sox. She was the driving force behind Camden Yards and Petco and the renovations she has made at Fenway are breathtaking. The amazing thing about the renovations is that they look like they have been there all along.

Nobody remembers when there was a net over the monster....the seats just blend in perfectly.

A renovated Wrigley would become a bigger 'shrine' than it already is. Let's face it there are 3 parks all baseball fans want to see once. Fenway, Wrigley and Yankee Stadium. We lose the Stadium this year and then but 2 remain.

It astounds me how many people take the Fenway tour which is 7 days a week all year long from 9 AM to 4 PM. Fenway is now the biggest TOURIST attraction in Boston and that is something considering all the historical buildings we have. ( several from WSI have taken the tour and loved it )

VeeckAsInWreck
05-09-2008, 01:58 PM
A renovated Wrigley would become a bigger 'shrine' than it already is.

Renovations are hard to do at Wrigley because the park has landmark status and the city won't allow them to change much. You already know how long it took for them to get lights.

soxfanatlanta
05-09-2008, 02:02 PM
It astounds me how many people take the Fenway tour which is 7 days a week all year long from 9 AM to 4 PM. Fenway is now the biggest TOURIST attraction in Boston and that is something considering all the historical buildings we have. ( several from WSI have taken the tour and loved it )

I would not mind doing the Fenway tour, but I am sure that it would not hold a candle to the state house tour; my dad and I are still talking about it.

Fenway
05-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Renovations are hard to do at Wrigley because the park has landmark status and the city won't allow them to change much. You already know how long it took for them to get lights.

Hey Old Ironsides is a national landmark but the Navy renovated her so she wouldn't sink in Boston Harbor.

Chicago might wake up some morning to find the landmark collapsed in the middle of the night. You won't find me ever in the upper deck at Wrigley because that is destined to fall. Of course in the lower deck I have the netting to protect my head. :tongue:

soxpride724
05-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Hey Old Ironsides is a national landmark but the Navy renovated her so she wouldn't sink in Boston Harbor.

Chicago might wake up some morning to find the landmark collapsed in the middle of the night. You won't find me ever in the upper deck at Wrigley because that is destined to fall. Of course in the lower deck I have the netting to protect my head. :tongue:

Netting. Priceless.....:rolleyes: If I had to see a game at ol Wrigley you better believe I'd bring my hard hat,lol.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Netting. Priceless.....:rolleyes: If I had to see a game at ol Wrigley you better believe I'd bring my hard hat,lol.

Think about how much $$$$ you can make selling these outside the park

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p1028616reg.jpg

soxpride724
05-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Think about how much $$$$ you can make selling these outside the park

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p1028616reg.jpg

Yeah, but they would still be too stupid to think about purchasing them.:D:

MarySwiss
05-09-2008, 06:25 PM

Man, how 'bout that Zyrtec? First time I read this, I thought you were saying that you conducted a tour and that you were a major tourist attraction.

Unless you were? :?:

roylestillman
05-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Whoever buys Wrigley should hire Janet Marie Smith away from the Red Sox. She was the driving force behind Camden Yards and Petco and the renovations she has made at Fenway are breathtaking.

A must read for anybody who wants to know how the "retro" era of Ballparks began with Janet Smith and the creation of Camden Yards, is the book "Ballpark" by Peter Richmond. Its brilliant (but the original new Comiskey takes a bit of a hit in it.)

If allowable, the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Ballpark-Camden-Yards-Building-American/dp/0684800489/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210375845&sr=8-1

chisoxfanatic
05-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Glad you had a good time. I have been going to Sox games for 40 years and I am always happy to find that the people around me -- I have the Ozzie Plan so I sit in different seats every time -- will talk baseball and have group conversations going by the 3rd inning.
What you've described there is a great synopsis of what goes on around where I sit in my 27-game plan, only the group discussions begin most of the time in the bottom of the 1st inning. Almost every seat within the three rows around me have the same 27-game plan, so we see everyone quite often. The camaraderie I experience at Sox games, especially those on my 27-game plan, is something to admire!
Which side of 35th is it on, and which block? I've looked for it before.

Edit: Whoops, I read the whole thread now.

Out of curiosity, I drove down 35th today to check it out. Whenever I'm going to games, I'm just not looking at the "scenery" very much. I'm so focused on getting into the ballpark. I rarely come from that direction anyways.

Fenway
05-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Man, how 'bout that Zyrtec? First time I read this, I thought you were saying that you conducted a tour and that you were a major tourist attraction.

Unless you were? :?:

Mary you have to get out of that hot sun

Fenway
05-09-2008, 06:53 PM
A must read for anybody who wants to know how the "retro" era of Ballparks began with Janet Smith and the creation of Camden Yards, is the book "Ballpark" by Peter Richmond. Its brilliant (but the original new Comiskey takes a bit of a hit in it.)

If allowable, the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Ballpark-Camden-Yards-Building-American/dp/0684800489/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210375845&sr=8-1

The Cell by all accounts is the design planned for Addison and was just moved to 35th St. The Cell is very similar to 2 other parks designed in the mid 80's Skydome and The Trop

Camden Yards changed everything and Smith was a big reason for that.

RadioheadRocks
05-09-2008, 09:01 PM

The "Designated Driver program" has gone on at The Cell for years; it's to encourage folks who will be refraining from partaking in alcoholic beverages to sign up as a "designated driver". These folks receive a wristband and a coupon for a free Pepsi, plus they are eligible for a prize drawing (off the top of my head the drawing is usually around the 6th or 7th inning).

DSpivack
05-09-2008, 09:15 PM
The "Designated Driver program" has gone on at The Cell for years; it's to encourage folks who will be refraining from partaking in alcoholic beverages to sign up as a "designated driver". These folks receive a wristband and a coupon for a free Pepsi, plus they are eligible for a prize drawing (off the top of my head the drawing is usually around the 6th or 7th inning).

It's a good thing to have at the park, sure, but Fens was wondering why Nancy would need a coupon. You'd think they'd get her a drink.

RadioheadRocks
05-09-2008, 09:18 PM
It's a good thing to have at the park, sure, but Fens was wondering why Nancy would need a coupon. You'd think they'd get her a drink.

She probably could, but if nothing else it proves she's an open and honest person. :D:

Fenway
05-09-2008, 09:51 PM

It just seemed odd and she told me she sighs up every game. She asked me to get the drink as she couldn't leave the organ.

when it came time for TMOTTBG I was in the booth and called my wife at work back in Boston so she could hear it. Then Nancy talked to her and my wife was in heaven.

Suddenly it was 1981 and we were in the upper deck at Comiskey again.

Fenway
05-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Be advised there is now a lunatic at Belmont and Broadway screaming PAPELBON

And today I was wearing a White Sox hat

I hate the Twins

SoxandtheCityTee
05-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Be advised there is now a lunatic at Belmont and Broadway screaming PAPELBON

And today I was wearing a White Sox hat

I hate the Twins

You hate them? They're in our damn division. How could you let that one get away?

Viva Medias B's
05-09-2008, 11:27 PM
You hate them? They're in our damn division. How could you let that one get away?

Does Papelbon have Gag˝e/Isringhausen Disease?

Fenway
05-10-2008, 03:23 AM

The Red Sox have NEVER done well at the Twinkiedome.....ever

but tonight was brutal

chisoxfanatic
05-10-2008, 03:28 AM
The Red Sox have NEVER done well at the Twinkiedome.....ever

but tonight was brutal

Welcome to our world, Fens! It's all the air conditioning's fault!

Will you please tell Papi and Tek that I need big days from them tomorrow and Sunday?