PDA

View Full Version : *Official* That's more like it! 5/8 Postgame thread

Sockinchisox
05-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Discuss.

turners56
05-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Nice slide by Uribe, Danks finally gets some run support, and it's nice to win a series, especially vs. the Twins. Too bad we're still below .500 and a game back.

thomas35forever
Sometimes the ball just bounces your way. I'm liking our chances against Seattle a lot more now. Go Sox!:bandance:

October26
What a game! I think we saw just about everything today. Thome stole a base? Uribe hustling? and a White Sox winner! Yes! I'm very happy ...:bandance:

EMachine10
05-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Finally :bandance::gulp:

turners56
05-08-2008, 05:25 PM
What a game! I think we saw just about everything today. Thome stole a base? Uribe hustling and a White Sox winner. I'm very happy ...:bandance:

That was pretty funny, it was his first since 2002. But the umpire called the worst strike on 3-0 to Konerko, that thing was a foot outside and chest high, it should have been bases loaded with nobody out. We should of scored that inning. But whatever, we still won by a good margin.

voodoochile
05-08-2008, 05:26 PM
:winner

:supernana:

I think that about covers it...

doublem23
05-08-2008, 05:29 PM
****ing right.

VeeckAsInWreck
It's a win. Let's enjoy it and no more negatives please!!!!!

SoxGirl4Life
I just have a feeling the Central is going to be up and down all year. No one is grabbing it and running. It could be a 4 way race til the end.

05-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Thome stole a base? :o:

MrRoboto83
05-08-2008, 05:30 PM
need to keep winning series like this. I'm happy.

Frater Perdurabo
05-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Won the series. Have to be satisfied with that.

Scored six runs in both wins. Good.

Got good pitching performances in two of the three games. Nice.

Keeep winning series, and we'll be OK. :smile:

Chicken Dinner
05-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Juan is the WSI PTC! Take that haters! :D:

SoxSpeed22
05-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Always nice to win 2 of 3, especially coming back from that stinker yesterday. The good news is that the Sox showed signs of life in coming back after being down 2-0. Hopefully this puts them back on the right track. If this sends the Twins into a tailspin, I'll enjoy that as well.

Foulke You
05-08-2008, 05:33 PM
This was a huge win. It stopped the bleeding and hopefully this series win will get the team back on track. 2 out of 3 against a good Twinkees team is just what the doctor ordered. Now, getting 2 out of 3 against the Mariners would be very nice indeed. Does anyone know if we'll be facing Bedard or Felix in this upcoming series?

HitMan_naMtiH
Good game...double steal was a bonus!

SoxGirl4Life
If this sends the Twins into a tailspin.

From your mouth to God's ear!

Stoky44
Back to winning series.
That all we have to keep doing 2 out of 3.
Let's bring on Seatle.

sox1970
If this sends the Twins into a tailspin, I'll enjoy that as well.

Looks like Neshek will be out for a while. That's not going to help them.

gogosox16
05-08-2008, 05:34 PM
im happy of the way the team played but I think that its time to give Swish a day or 2 off....

Chicken Dinner
05-08-2008, 05:34 PM
The only downside was Swish getting the hat trick. :(:

DumpJerry
05-08-2008, 05:35 PM
-Uribe draws a walk.
-Thome steals a base.
-Dotel= 5 k's and no runs in two innings.

Have aliens kidnapped the White Sox????

:bandance:

downstairs
05-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Lets sweep Seattle. Then a good showing against LAA. Then sweep San Fran.

Soxman219
05-08-2008, 05:36 PM
They needed this win for momentum. Danks finally got run support, Uribe was agressive and got a HR, and they scored runs with 2 outs. As I said this morning, the Twins are known for only scoring less than 3 runs after scoring in double digits the previous night. Now it's time to win some games out west.:smile:

BTW, anyone going to any games in Sea, Ana, and SF?

voodoochile
05-08-2008, 05:36 PM

Sort of...

Quentin on 2nd Thome on first, Paulie batting 3-1 count. PK checks his swing and the ump doesn't make a motion. Catcher hangs his head and sits there for a second, runners startup to 2nd and 3rd as the catcher appeals to first. PK is already taking off his shin armor. 1st base ump says strike, but by then runners are pretty much at their new base. Twins could only whine. Gardenhire whined the loudest, he got tossed. Pitcher ran around to both bases tagging Thome and Quentin, but to no avail.

ebit
05-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Uribe absolutely demolished that double play attempt. I wish I could have seen Thome steal a base. Sportscenter anyone?

Hitmen77
05-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Looks like Dye is back on track and maybe(??) Thome is coming around. Quentin continues to impress. Man, if we can just get Swisher, Konerko, and Cabrera to show some life and if our pitching stays good, we can be a competitive team.

Juan is the WSI PTC! Take that haters! :D:

Uribe is famously hot and cold. If he's embarking on one of his hot streaks now - that's fine by me. I just hope it can stretch until Richar returns and can be added to the mix.

It's Dankerific
05-08-2008, 05:40 PM
and MARK WINS the battle of dugout tantrems on PTI. Mark vs. Papelbon!!!

what a good day!

sox1970
05-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Props to Ozzie for pulling Danks after 5. I liked the move before Dotel threw his first pitch, and it worked out nicely.

Chicken Dinner
05-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Uribe is famously hot and cold. If he's embarking on one of his hot streaks now - that's fine by me. I just hope it can stretch until Richar returns and can be added to the mix.

September 1st sounds good to me. :D:

veeter
05-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Ugly win that I'll galdly take. Juan was terrific. Ozzie, please give Swisher some time off. Great job bullpen!!!!

veeter
05-08-2008, 05:50 PM
This was a huge win. It stopped the bleeding and hopefully this series win will get the team back on track. 2 out of 3 against a good Twinkees team is just what the doctor ordered. Now, getting 2 out of 3 against the Mariners would be very nice indeed. Does anyone know if we'll be facing Bedard or Felix in this upcoming series?The Sox are facing neither, I'm pretty sure.

Jurr
05-08-2008, 05:54 PM
The Sox played like a team today, and a win ensued. Though the score was lopsided at the end, they had to battle. Great job.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Props to Ozzie for pulling Danks after 5. I liked the move before Dotel threw his first pitch, and it worked out nicely.

I complained at the time and so glad I was wrong. I love when we win during the day so I can relax in the evening. :cool:

Jurr
05-08-2008, 06:04 PM
I complained at the time and so glad I was wrong. I love when we win during the day so I can relax in the evening. :cool:
Yeah, if that one wouldn't have worked, it would've been CHAOS in the papers, radio, etc.
That's the thing about managing/coaching.....the players make it happen, and when they don't, you're a moron.

kittle42
05-08-2008, 06:06 PM
The minute Swisher's average drops below Uribe's, he should quit baseball. :D:

The Immigrant
05-08-2008, 06:06 PM
The Sox are facing neither, I'm pretty sure.

Correct, but we do face Cy Washburn and Cy Batista. I'd rather face Felix than Washburn, to tell you the truth.

Good call by Ozzie to lift Danks after the 5th. Dotel owns the Twins.

btrain929
05-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Nice slide by Uribe, Danks finally gets some run support, and it's nice to win a series, especially vs. the Twins. Too bad we're still below .500 and a game back.

Or you can look at it the other way. We've played 2-3 weeks of abortion-like baseball, and were only 1 game back of 1st place.

Bob G
05-08-2008, 06:19 PM
I didn't see the game today but Dotel's numbers are impressive - 5K's in 2 innings.

I was at the game last night (unfortunately) - Dotel looked good. One of the very few brightspots yesterday.

itsnotrequired
05-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Some Sox "fans" berated me for wearing a tie to the game.

Sig update time...

hi im skot
05-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Some Sox "fans" berated me for wearing a tie to the game.

Sig update time...

You think you're some sort of hot shot?

DickAllen72
05-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Uribe rules! :bandance:

Thome and Konerko better start pulling their weight. Otherwise, good game and a great win.

Now, out west it's gut check time!

DickAllen72
05-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Officially, yes -- but not really.

ebit
05-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Officially, yes. He took it standing up too.

Fixed!

VeeckAsInWreck
05-08-2008, 06:50 PM
and MARK WINS the battle of dugout tantrems on PTI. Mark vs. Papelbon!!!

what a good day!

Anyone know where I can see this explosion online?

It's Dankerific
05-08-2008, 06:56 PM
The link for Mark's heater beater was in another thread, last nights postgame maybe? thats how I saw it, originally.

itsnotrequired
05-08-2008, 07:03 PM
You think you're some sort of hot shot?

I don't deserve this sort of Treatment from my People.

DumpJerry
05-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Sort of...

Quentin on 2nd Thome on first, Paulie batting 3-1 count. PK checks his swing and the ump doesn't make a motion. Catcher hangs his head and sits there for a second, runners startup to 2nd and 3rd as the catcher appeals to first. PK is already taking off his shin armor. 1st base ump says strike, but by then runners are pretty much at their new base. Twins could only whine. Gardenhire whined the loudest, he got tossed. Pitcher ran around to both bases tagging Thome and Quentin, but to no avail.
It should come as no surprise that Doug Eddings was the Ump behind the plate.

He is the anti-Froeming/Wendelstadt

Lip Man 1
05-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Since many (including myself) have been critical of the team when they are lousy (which has been a ton since July 2006) it is only fair to point out some positive things and there were two this afternoon.

Both were huge in my opinion and neither one involved trying to hit an eight run, 800 foot home run.

In the last of the 8th of a 4-2 game, still winnable by the Twins, the Sox had the bases loaded, one out, Toby Hall at the plate. Hall hits a taylor made DP but Juan Uribe takes out the pivot guy enabling the slowest man on Earth to get to first base, run scores, inning continues.

Then Alexi Ramirez runs hard all the way to first and when Justin Morneau drops the ball, he is safe, another run scores and the inning continues.

Two small, little things that basically put the game away. Kudos to both players. Proof that runs CAN be scored without a home run.

Lip

Daver
05-08-2008, 07:39 PM
In the last of the 8th of a 4-2 game, still winnable by the Twins, the Sox had the bases loaded, one out, Toby Hall at the plate. Hall hits a taylor made DP but Juan Uribe takes out the pivot guy enabling the slowest man on Earth to get to first base, run scores, inning continues.

Not to argue Mark, but Toby Hall could run circles around Konerko on the basepaths.

spiffie
05-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Not to argue Mark, but Toby Hall could run circles around Konerko on the basepaths.
Isn't that like pointing at a glacier and saying "there's the fast one of the group."

Railsplitter
05-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Winning two out of every three is a good thing if it can be sustained.

soxlady8
05-08-2008, 08:36 PM
It was nice to see the Twinkies make some errors today THAT helped us.
Danks looked pretty good pitching and with his pink goatee.
I swear him and Floyd have really made believers out of me.

soxlady8
http://soxlady8.mlblogs.com

I am the featured blog of the day , thanks if any of you nominated ME !

turners56
05-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Lets sweep Seattle. Then a good showing against LAA. Then sweep San Fran.

Seattle is 14-21, San Francisco is the same. The Angels series will be tough, but we've been playing better against them since 2005. So on this 10 game road swing we should be able to sweep San Francisco, take at least 2 out of 3 from the Mariners (or sweep, but that might be asking a bit much), and maybe split with the Angels (again I'm being realistic here). So a 7-3 road trip? Sounds good to me :).

BTW, how about Octavio Dotel? After this game, I'm not sure he deserves the "Blotel" nickname anymore. I thought he was going to strike out the side in his two innings, but the terrible strike zone today jumped around on a close pitch with 2 strikes.

sox1970
05-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Seattle is 14-21, San Francisco is the same. The Angels series will be tough, but we've been playing better against them since 2005. So on this 10 game road swing we should be able to sweep San Francisco, take at least 2 out of 3 from the Mariners (or sweep, but that might be asking a bit much), and maybe split with the Angels (again I'm being realistic here). So a 7-3 road trip? Sounds good to me :).

I'd be very pleased if they go 5-5 on this trip, as long as they don't start it 5-2.

turners56
05-08-2008, 08:58 PM
I'd be very pleased if they go 5-5 on this trip, as long as they don't start it 5-2.

Come on, we're playing a terrible team in San Francisco, a terrible team in Seattle, and a very good team in the Angels. Regardless, even if we go 1-3 vs. the Angels, we'll probably be 6-4 on the trip.

cws05champ
05-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Come on, we're playing a terrible team in San Francisco, a terrible team in Seattle, and a very good team in the Angels. Regardless, even if we go 1-3 vs. the Angels, we'll probably be 6-4 on the trip.
Considering how terrible the Sox have been in the past on West coast trips, I would take 5-5 any day. Just because SF is supposed to be bad, doesn't mean they couldn't beat us....and just because we are supposed to be good, doesn't mean we are right now. Great win, good series win...lets keep it rolling!

sox1970
05-08-2008, 09:16 PM

They could. If Vazquez beats Washburn, I think they'll win 6.

TheOldRoman
05-08-2008, 09:18 PM
It should come as no surprise that Doug Eddings was the Ump behind the plate.

He is the anti-Froeming/WendelstadtI disagree. I actually think since game 2 of the ALCS, Eddings has screwed us over. He has given us terrible strikezones. I honestly think he does it (maybe subconsciously) because any time a halfway questionable play goes our way people while whine that he favors the Sox.

Didn't see the game because of work, but its good to take a series from the Twins. Hopefully we can straighten out and have a decent road trip.

TDog
05-08-2008, 09:55 PM

Seattle isn't terrible. It is inconsistent, not unlike the Sox, or even the Twins, for that matter, although they don't win as often. Aren't the Twins and Sox both .500 in games where they are not playing each other? The Giants have some very good pitching and inconsistent young hitting.

For a little more than a week, the White Sox have been reminding me a little too much of the Giants, but without the speed.

GlassSox
05-08-2008, 10:07 PM
-Uribe draws a walk.
-Thome steals a base.
-Dotel= 5 k's and no runs in two innings.

Have aliens kidnapped the White Sox????

This was a fun game and it was great to be at the Cell.

chisoxfanatic
05-08-2008, 10:09 PM
BTW, how about Octavio Dotel? After this game, I'm not sure he deserves the "Blotel" nickname anymore. I thought he was going to strike out the side in his two innings, but the terrible strike zone today jumped around on a close pitch with 2 strikes.

I'll have to see a few more outings like that from him before removing the tag "Doltel." I'm glad he pitched well today. He needs outings like that to get his confidence up.

Fortunately their not getting ducks on the pond in with nobody out in the 6th didn't cost them here. I'm looking forward to seeing the highlight of Uribe's slide into 2nd tonight on Sports Night (Sports Center didn't show it).

Soxman219
05-08-2008, 10:09 PM

Don't ever take opponents lightly. Just because the Giants and Mariners are bad doesn't mean they can't beat us. Didn't we get swept in Seattle last year? Even though we are facing bad west coast teams, we play bad in the West Coast (except for Anaheim for some reason). Play hard against in all 10 games and we could take sole possesion of 1st place by the time this road trip is over.:smile:

WhiteSox5187
05-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Well, even though I was disgusted with this team's inability to score a single run with runners on second and third and nobody out, a win is a win. It's alwyas nice to take a series from Minnesota. Let's go out and have a good road trip and get over .500.

Lip Man 1
05-08-2008, 10:39 PM
They could have a good road trip but remember it's hard to hit home runs in Seattle traditionally and San Francisco somewhat because of the deep alley in right center.

Lip

TomBradley72
05-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Was at the game today...great atmosphere...almost exclusively real baseball fans (or seemed that way). I'd say Uribe's breaking up the double play may be one of the key plays of the young season. Not for the run it generated...but for the signal it sent and the way the crowd reacted (standing ovation from everyone in the stands behind the dugout/down the 3rd baseline)...alot of cynicism and grousing in crowd most of the afternoon...mostly caused by Thome, PK and Swisher..that play brought everyone back to the team.

Tragg
05-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Seattle isn't terrible. It is inconsistent, not unlike the Sox, or even the Twins, for that matter, although they don't win as often.
But they are playing poorly now, getting hammered by Texas, and we need to make a move. No more goofy, clown lineups, no more Cabreras/Ramirez or whatever other sub .300 obp hitter Ozzie wants to lead off because they are "aggressive", "productive" and "fearless" when they swing at pitches in the dirt; put the good hitters at the top, the crap at the bottom, pitch well, use the bench wisely, and hammer them this series. Don't blow it.

Chicken Dinner
05-08-2008, 11:18 PM
We should be able to beat Garland in LA. :D:

alohafri
05-08-2008, 11:18 PM
It's a win. Let's enjoy it and no more negatives please!!!!!

At least until the next three game losing streak! Hey, I love being proven wrong.

Frankfan4life
05-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Why was Da Mayor at the game today? :o: Isn't he supposed to be at work???

Mohoney
05-09-2008, 06:19 AM
This was just about as close to must-win as you can get in May, and we got it done. We out-pitched them again today, as we did on Tuesday, and took 2 out of 3. That's definitely something that can be built on.

This offense still blows chances with the runner on 3rd and less than 2 out, and that worries the hell out of me, but Tuesday and today saw some late inning runs off of their bullpen, which we haven't been doing with any consistency for a year and a half.

If we take 2 out of 3 from Seattle (a team that has been disappointing in their own right), I'll feel a lot better.

Mohoney
05-09-2008, 06:24 AM
put the good hitters at the top, the crap at the bottom, pitch well, use the bench wisely, and hammer them this series. Don't blow it.

I really like our chances of pitching well, if that's any consolation. The park is a cavern, and Vazquez and Floyd will each get a start. Maybe we can put up 20+ Ks as a staff this series, with 4 or 5 double plays to go along with it.

As for the other stuff, I'm just as worried as you are.

BadBobbyJenks
05-09-2008, 07:39 AM
But they are playing poorly now, getting hammered by Texas, and we need to make a move. No more goofy, clown lineups, no more Cabreras/Ramirez or whatever other sub .300 obp hitter Ozzie wants to lead off because they are "aggressive", "productive" and "fearless" when they swing at pitches in the dirt; put the good hitters at the top, the crap at the bottom, pitch well, use the bench wisely, and hammer them this series. Don't blow it.

We dont have to face Felix or Bedard. There is no reason not to take 2 out of 3 this weekend. Agree with you on the lineups. Move Swisher back to lead off and move Carlos to the three hole. Move Thome down to 5.

southside rocks
05-09-2008, 10:12 AM
This was a fun game and it was great to be at the Cell.

Yep. I was there, and it turned out to be a very enjoyable afternoon.

My mind boggled a bit when I had to write 'SB' on my scorecard for Thome, though. :tongue:

turners56
05-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Don't ever take opponents lightly. Just because the Giants and Mariners are bad doesn't mean they can't beat us. Didn't we get swept in Seattle last year? Even though we are facing bad west coast teams, we play bad in the West Coast (except for Anaheim for some reason). Play hard against in all 10 games and we could take sole possesion of 1st place by the time this road trip is over.:smile:

Seattle has won 2 of their last 10 games (we're not so different, but at least we look better than before, they don't), the most recent of which against the Texas Rangers, the same Texas Rangers the Tigers scored 19 runs on.

turners56
05-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Seattle isn't terrible. It is inconsistent, not unlike the Sox, or even the Twins, for that matter, although they don't win as often. Aren't the Twins and Sox both .500 in games where they are not playing each other? The Giants have some very good pitching and inconsistent young hitting.

For a little more than a week, the White Sox have been reminding me a little too much of the Giants, but without the speed.

At least we're not paying a 0-7 pitcher $18 million this year to throw a 82 MPH fastball.

Foulke You
05-09-2008, 12:36 PM
The park is a cavern, and Vazquez and Floyd will each get a start.
Both Safeco and AT&T Park have a lot of real estate in the outfield to cover. With Swisher hitting so poorly, I'd like to see Ozzie give Anderson or Ramirez some starts in CF to add more speed to the outfield D. Swisher seems competent enough in CF but his lack of makeup speed could present a problem in the bigger ballparks. Ozzie can move Swisher to 1B one day to rest Paulie if he doesn't want to give him more than 1 day off.

Bob G
05-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Both Safeco and AT&T Park have a lot of real estate in the outfield to cover. With Swisher hitting so poorly, I'd like to see Ozzie give Anderson or Ramirez some starts in CF to add more speed to the outfield D. Swisher seems competent enough in CF but his lack of makeup speed could present a problem in the bigger ballparks. Ozzie can move Swisher to 1B one day to rest Paulie if he doesn't want to give him more than 1 day off.

I agree - with Swish struggling this would be a great time to give BA some starts. With more at bats I think Anderson will show his hitting has improved, I still believe this can be a break out year for him if he's given the chance.

GlassSox
05-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Yep. I was there, and it turned out to be a very enjoyable afternoon.

My mind boggled a bit when I had to write 'SB' on my scorecard for Thome, though. :tongue:

That was a very enjoyable part of the game. :D: