PDA

View Full Version : I was thingking why don't...

HitMan_naMtiH
05-08-2008, 02:41 PM
we see any of our power hitters...Thome, Konerko, Dye ever lay down a bunt to move a base runner along? I know they are paid to get base hits and what not. There has been plenty of opportunities this season where a bunt by one of them would put some runs on the board. As ****ty as they have been hitting whats the big deal or philosophy?

kobo
05-08-2008, 02:48 PM
If these guys can't get a hit what makes you think they can succesfully lay a bunt down?

Droso5
05-08-2008, 02:50 PM
we see any of our power hitters...Thome, Konerko, Dye ever lay down a bunt to move a base runner along? I know they are paid to get base hits and what not. There has been plenty of opportunities this season where a bunt by one of them would put some runs on the board. As ****ty as they have been hitting whats the big deal or philosophy?

These hitters are the big boppers in the line-up! They get paid to ****ing hit ****ing homeruns! Not steal bases and not lay down bunts to clog the base paths! ***?!:gulp:Although they seem to be really good at not doing any of that stuff either. Maybe they should try pitching, or perhaps ballet?

Chicken Dinner
05-08-2008, 02:51 PM
They're slow as ****.

thomas35forever
05-08-2008, 02:53 PM
The team isn't even stealing bases or converting on hit-and-runs right now. If they can't even put the ball in play on a regular swing, I highly doubt they'll have more success bunting.

HitMan_naMtiH
05-08-2008, 02:59 PM
These hitters are the big boppers in the line-up! They get paid to ****ing hit ****ing homeruns! Not steal bases and not lay down bunts to clog the base paths! ***?!:gulp:Although they seem to be really good at not doing any of that stuff either. Maybe they should try pitching, or perhaps ballet?
I didn't know having base runners "clogging up bases" is worse then striking out. Who knew?

Droso5
05-08-2008, 03:04 PM
I didn't know having base runners "clogging up bases" is worse then striking out. Who knew?

Watch your attitude there "champ". As fo clogging the bases, it sucks b/c if they actually do get on base, by way of a miracle, it takes several hits to drive them in. They need to swing for the fences and go for the longball, saying they need to "bunt more" is lunacy. I still stand by what I said and you should too b/c maybe then people on here will actually see you as something more than a clown or a parody of an actual poster.

HitMan_naMtiH
05-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Watch your attitude there "champ". As fo clogging the bases, it sucks b/c if they actually do get on base, by way of a miracle, it takes several hits to drive them in. They need to swing for the fences and go for the longball, saying they need to "bunt more" is lunacy. I still stand by what I said and you should too b/c maybe then people on here will actually see you as something more than a clown or a parody of an actual poster.
Re-read what I said in my first post, when there is runners on base or scoring position..why not? This philosophy of "swinging for the fences" obviously hasn't gotten them anywhere.

Droso5
05-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Re-read what I said in my first post, when there is runners on base or scoring position..why not? This philosophy of "swinging for the fences" obviously hasn't gotten them anywhere.

I know, I was just messing around with you. Although I think the "bunting code red option" is still crazy if used constantly, maybe as a "crazy enough to try it" every once in a while if a shift is on. My point still stands tall and broad shouldered my friend...These Paul Bunyans are paid to hit.

TDog
05-08-2008, 03:37 PM

Necessity may be the mother of invention but your frustration doesn't seem to be parenting reasonable thought. The sacrifice is the most overrated strategy in baseball. It has its place, but you are handing the other team an out. If you have hitters who can bunt, you move up runners. Neither Thome nor Konerko has successfully sacrifice-bunted in this millennium.

Jim Thome has one major league sacrifice bunt. I don't know how many unsuccessful attempts he had. But it has been 14 seasons since he was successful. In 1994, in the seventh inning of 7-7 game against the Twins, following a leadoff single by Eddie Murray, Thome bunted to third and reached on an error. Sandy Alomar attempted to sacrifice and was credited with a bunt single to load the bases with none out. Actually the strategy worked out well, but the Indians still only got the one run they were playing for with the sacrifice.

Paul Konerko has one successful sacrifice bunt, which actually helped win a game in 1999. In a seventh inning on a Saturday night against the Yankees with the score at 1-1, Carlos Lee singled to lead it off, Chris Singleton ran for him and Konerko sacrificed him to second. After Darrin Jackson made an out (I think he struck out, but I can't remember), Andy Pettitte intentionally walked Greg Norton to get to Mark Johnson, who drove in what proved to be the winning run.

The problem is, while a sacrifice moves up runners, it is admitting defeat and passing the responsibility of driving in runs to someone else, reducing the margin for error for your offense by handing the other team an out. I have always believed that the Astros helped Bobby Jenks out in Game 4 of the 2005 World Series by giving up one of their last three outs just to move up a runner when they were losing. Juan Uribe made two great plays to get the only two outs the White Sox needed to end the season.

Thome and Konerko don't seem to be coming up in none-out, tie game situations very often even if they were practiced in bunting. And it isn't as if there is anyone behind them seeming to salivate over the prospect of driving in moved-up runners.

Stoky44
05-08-2008, 03:48 PM
This has been bugging me all season. I really think Thome should try to lay a bunt down every so often maybe once every week or so. I say Thome because this may stop the other team with the shift. I know "These guys are paid to hit not bunt." However, if he "tries" to lay a bunt down the 3rd base side maybe 2-3 a month, this may make the other team play a bit more straight up and out of that shift. That equals more base hits.
Plus Thome would be able to make it to first on a half way decent bunt up the third base side when the guy at 3rd is at ss.
Also if he gets on first b/c of a bunt good for him. I am not saying Thome should do this every game or even every series. I am saying 2-3 times a month. This gets him on base (as would a walk or a single) or even better takes away the extreme shift, which then equals more hits getting through (which is what he is paid to do...hit).

If David Ortiz can do this so can Thome.

Now as for Dye and Pk, I don't see the advantage as much because of the lack of a shift against them. So I could go either way. However, if you see the 3rd baseman back on AJ he will every once in a while lay a bunt down to get a hit and be on base.

Also, just thinking out loud here. If you are one to say its dumb for a guy to lay a bunt down to get one base, do you think if one of our power hiters are up with a count that has 3 balls, should the hitter then swing at ball 4 to make contact, and foul it off so he can get a strike to hit. Meaning are you mad that a guy takes a walk. Otherwise you are taking the bat out of his hands, like you would be doing for a bunt.
Take for instance, Thome leads off an inning. Are you mad that there is a leadoff walk to him, or are you just glad to see him on base and raise his obp? If he bunt for a base hit, in my mind thats nearly the same as him getting walked, however it may make the other team adjust the shift.

doublem23
05-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Considering Thome, Konerko, and most of the big bats are hovering aroung .200, I think there's still a better chance someone gets a hit than laying down a successful bunt.