PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Op-Ed a/b Frank in the All-Star Game

Gavin
05-08-2008, 10:14 AM
"Send the Big Hurt to the Big Apple"

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Why-Frank-Thomas-belongs-in-this-year-s-All-Star;_ylt=AhM8anml13kCHnqZywPLStwRvLYF?urn=mlb,811 77

In short, an effort to get the vote out for Frank since he hasn't been in the ASG since 1997 and got jobbed of a lot of due credit because of the steroid era, despite his solid contributions in the past 10 years.

ondafarm
05-08-2008, 10:24 AM
I've been voting for him. I can also add that the Questec reports I have seen have confirmed that he has a better eye than your average umpire. When the Japanese leagues signed their most recent agreement with MLB, one small clause was that they received an unspecified number of summary reports on MLB's umpires accuracy and Questec. No individual umpires can be identified, but aggregate numbers are permitted. Well, someone ran an analysis of Frank Thomas, who for years has gotten grief over arguing with umpires. It turns out he was right. On the outside corner, Frank is accurate to within an inch. Your average umpire is accurate to only an inch and a half. That means some of the bums who've been calling Frank out with their stupid exaggerated strike calls should be apologizing to him.

WhiteSox5187
05-08-2008, 11:17 AM
"Send the Big Hurt to the Big Apple"

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Why-Frank-Thomas-belongs-in-this-year-s-All-Star;_ylt=AhM8anml13kCHnqZywPLStwRvLYF?urn=mlb,811 77

In short, an effort to get the vote out for Frank since he hasn't been in the ASG since 1997 and got jobbed of a lot of due credit because of the steroid era, despite his solid contributions in the past 10 years.
Wow! That's just silly. He should have made it for 2000 at the very least.

soxfan13
05-08-2008, 11:55 AM
If Frank had said this is positively his last year , then I would be all for letting him play in the All-Star game, as recognition for his great career BUT to vote him in this year because he hasnt made it in past years, when deserving, is wrong. Guess what, many many players havent played in past All-Star games and they were very deserving also.

ondafarm
05-08-2008, 12:00 PM
If Frank had said this is positively his last year , then I would be all for letting him play in the All-Star game, as recognition for his great career BUT to vote him in this year because he hasnt made it in past years, when deserving, is wrong. Guess what, many many players havent played in past All-Star games and they were very deserving also.

Past injustice is no reason to tolerate it today.

Gavin
05-08-2008, 12:28 PM
It's more or less a popularity contest, anyway.

skottyj242
05-08-2008, 01:23 PM

Could be the last year he plays where the All Star game is played in and American League park. :smile:

soxfan13
05-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Could be the last year he plays where the All Star game is played in and American League park. :smile:

Oh well boo hoo!!!! When he decides to hang it up and the All Star game is in a National League Park he can still play as a pinch hitter or first base.....oh thats right he cant play first.:tongue:

TheVulture
05-09-2008, 10:26 AM

That's why it's called the All-Star game. It's supposed to be the players the fans want to see, not necessarily the best players.

soxfan13
05-09-2008, 10:50 AM
That's why it's called the All-Star game. It's supposed to be the players the fans want to see, not necessarily the best players.

No, actually an All-Star game is suppose to be the best players at the time, at their positions. Not a popularity contest or based on what you did the year before.

TomBradley72
05-09-2008, 11:15 AM
No, actually an All-Star game is suppose to be the best players at the time, at their positions. Not a popularity contest or based on what you did the year before.

Maybe that's what it is "supposed to be'...but that's not what the reality is. Lots of examples of guys being on the roster for other reasons. I hope Frank makes it. He deserves it and he deserves the limelight at least one more time.

Steelrod
05-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Kinda funny how things go full circle.
This is the same Frank Thomas who didn't like being at All-Star games. Time cures all!

ondafarm
05-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Kinda funny how things go full circle.
This is the same Frank Thomas who didn't like being at All-Star games. Time cures all!

There's no quote from Frank Thomas asking to be voted in. That would be as unseemly as most of your posts.

soxfan13
05-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Maybe that's what it is "supposed to be'...but that's not what the reality is. Lots of examples of guys being on the roster for other reasons. I hope Frank makes it. He deserves it and he deserves the limelight at least one more time.

I know what the reality of it is and the reality is a bunch of people making bad choices. Frank will get his last time in the limelight when he retires and gets his statue.

TomBradley72
05-09-2008, 12:12 PM
I know what the reality of it is and the reality is a bunch of people making bad choices. Frank will get his last time in the limelight when he retires and gets his statue.

We voted Pods in as the "25 man" (or whatever it's called)....I'll be doing some ballott stuffing to help Frank get there for one more "curtain call" on the national stage.

PKalltheway
05-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Wow! That's just silly. He should have made it for 2000 at the very least.
I still don't know why in the world he didn't make it in 2000. It was arguably the best year of his career.

TDog
05-09-2008, 10:00 PM
I still don't know why in the world he didn't make it in 2000. It was arguably the best year of his career.

The best regular season perhaps.

DSpivack
05-09-2008, 10:29 PM

The best regular season perhaps.

He certainly was deserving of an all-star berth, but no way was 2000 his best year. I don't see how any regular season of his compares to 1994.

When the strike hit, he had played in 113 games, and had 38 HR and 101 RBIs. That's on a pace for 54 HRs and 145 RBIs. He was hitting .353/.487/.729. Not only did he win his 2nd MVP award that year, but a triple crown was an outside possibility: he ranked 3rd in the AL in batting average (just 6 points behind Paul O'Neill's .359); 2nd in HRs (Griffey was at 40); and 3rd in RBIs (to Kirby Puckett's 112). He was also 1st in the AL in on-base percentage, slugging, OPS, runs, walks, and extra-base hits.

2000 was certainly among his best seasons, but he wasn't far and away the best hitter in the AL that season as he was in 1994. Even if you were to take away the MVP award from Giambi, Carlos Delgado had just as good an argument to get as did the Big Hurt (although the Blue Jays were just 83-79).

BRDSR
05-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Sometimes when I'm feeling sad, I just pull up Frank's career numbers on baseball-reference.com. They're amazing. Well all know his .300/100 RBI/100 walks/100 runs streak (including the strike-shortened '94 season, which is absolutely incredible) but he also batted .300 10 seasons in a row (11 if you include 60 games in 1990). Ichiro will likely do it in 2010, but besides that...I think it will be a long time before anyone does that again.

TheVulture
05-12-2008, 12:52 AM
If it's not supposed to be the players the fans want to see, what's the point of the vote?

And what is a star? Someone who is popular. Justin Timberlake might be the biggest music star in the world, but he's certainly not the best musician.