PDA

View Full Version : Downey Column

Lip Man 1
05-08-2008, 01:37 AM
On a tough night this made me smile:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080507-white-sox-blow-up-dolls-ozzie-guillen,1,5653044.column

Lip

BadBobbyJenks
05-08-2008, 01:43 AM
My grin got bigger and bigger with each sarcastic jab.
Loved it

bryPt
05-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Mike Downey hits a home run on the Sox sex doll gate started by the Sun Times:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-080507-white-sox-blow-up-dolls-ozzie-guillen,0,3796920.column

Even Mike can write a good article every once in a while.

bryPt
05-08-2008, 07:46 AM
oops, I didn't see your post so I started a thread in the "what's the score" forum.

Great article btw. He nailed it!

soxfanatlanta
05-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Bravo!

Viva Medias B's
05-08-2008, 08:27 AM
That was awesome!

bryPt
05-08-2008, 08:30 AM
I just checked out the freshly delivered Sun times today and posted this the comments area of Carol's fantastic article:

Todays paper, page 70:

"want a s e x y secret free" ad with a women and her cleavage.

PAGE 66, full page photo of a woman (Tiffany May) in a bra and panty and an american flag.

Page 65, GAME ON a woman in what seems to be a wet tee-shirt and a panty on her knees.

And that is just the sports section. Well Done Carol, way to really single out the problem of sexism in Chicago - Ozzie Guillen. Not the company you work for or anything!

Funny thing is, at the comments area, you can not type SEX, but in the paper, you can write it all you want!

Viva Medias B's
05-08-2008, 08:42 AM
I just checked out the freshly delivered Sun times today and posted this the comments area of Carol's fantastic article:

Todays paper, page 70:

"want a s e x y secret free" ad with a women and her cleavage.

PAGE 66, full page photo of a woman (Tiffany May) in a bra and panty and an american flag.

Page 65, GAME ON a woman in what seems to be a wet tee-shirt and a panty on her knees.

And that is just the sports section. Well Done Carol, way to really single out the problem of sexism in Chicago - Ozzie Guillen. Not the company you work for or anything!

Funny thing is, at the comments area, you can not type SEX, but in the paper, you can write it all you want!

Not to mention the Cedric Benson photo ─ you know, the one with the women dressed as they are standing behind Benson, his mother, and his friend? ─ plastered to over half the length of the back page today.

southside rocks
05-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Yep, good column. :thumbsup:

MarySwiss
05-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Still laughing. Fiendishly. Very nice, Mike Downey!!

angiew
05-08-2008, 08:51 AM
:D:I had just read the article and was coming in to see if anyone had posted a link....that's great.:D: I live in Oklahoma, so I'm not subjected to the horrible press bias you guys are....and I had no idea how bad it was until now:(: All I can say is WOW. The Sun Times must be on the Cubs payroll....that's really, really bad. Me and my hubby were floored by some of the **** we read by their "sports" writers. Their hatred for The Sox nearly rotted my monitor:?:

bryPt
05-08-2008, 08:55 AM
I am sure Carol is sitting in her little dark cubicle full of cub junk, including a Horry Kow t-shirt, and thinking up a way to rip the sox for dying their beards pink for breast cancer awareness.

bryPt
05-08-2008, 08:57 AM
BTW mr. Mods, can you change the thread title so Mr. Downey gets his props! His name is misspelled.

southside rocks
05-08-2008, 09:02 AM
:D:I had just read the article and was coming in to see if anyone had posted a link....that's great.:D: I live in Oklahoma, so I'm not subjected to the horrible press bias you guys are....and I had no idea how bad it was until now:(: All I can say is WOW. The Sun Times must be on the Cubs payroll....that's really, really bad. Me and my hubby were floored by some of the **** we read by their "sports" writers. Their hatred for The Sox nearly rotted my monitor:?:

It wasn't that bad until fairly recently, actually. I subscribed to the Sun-Times until last year, when they gave a very long, very expensive contract renewal to a truly moronic sports columnist. I canceled my subscription then. I still read the paper (someone else's copy at work, usually) and I did notice that the sports coverage was getting more like the Tribune's, that is, non-Sox-oriented.

This year I canceled my subscription to the Daily Southtown because they consolidated with the Star and fired their very good sportswriters, Nate Whalen and Paul Ladewski, and gave us warmed-over crap from the Sun-Times, their parent paper.

I believe the financial outlook for the Sun-Times is pretty bleak, and it seems to me that they're trying to hasten their own demise. Good luck to them. I remember when Chicago had four daily newspapers and none were as bad as the S-T is now.

October26
05-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Kudos to Mike Downey on a great article!

TomBradley72
05-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Perfect. Can wait to see how the "Bright One"...responds.

PatK
05-08-2008, 09:54 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/PfaffVWseller/AwesomeThread.jpg

SoxGirl4Life
05-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Love it. Thank you Mike Downey!

jenn2080
05-08-2008, 10:01 AM
:rolling:

That article was brilliant.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Nice to see even the Tribune Co can occasionally show some common sense. Even WGN radio and Kaplan, both Cubbie mouthpieces, said it was a non story and the clubhouse is the clubhouse. The Trib can be annoying and biased but at least it still makes an effort at being an actual newpaper. I haven't read the Scum-Times in years, I had no idea how bad it had gotten.

Good for you Mike Downey.

Jerko
05-08-2008, 10:06 AM
I enjoyed the column too, but it's doing exactly what the Times wants; giving it attention. Granted, it's negative attention, but it's attention nonetheless.

soxpride724
05-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Great article, thanks Mike for sticking up for us:bandance:

thedudeabides
05-08-2008, 10:27 AM
I'm glad the S-T is actually getting taken to task over this. It's funny everyone in the Chicago media is just referring to that paper as the tabloid. I never thought it would go so far that I will only read the trib. It's a shame that the couple of good writers the S-T has are getting taken down with the rest of the scum over there.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-08-2008, 10:48 AM
The Moron and Sleaz still have jobs there because it is their job to piss off fans of the team. That way you get upset and buy tomorrow's newspaper so you can see what garbage they're spewing now.

My feeling is this, if you ignore them they will go.

fquaye149
05-08-2008, 10:50 AM
While I agree with Downey on principle, surely there is a better way to make your point than an ad hominen argument... :shrug:

gamblinkenny
05-08-2008, 10:54 AM
The Moron and Sleaz still have jobs there because it is their job to piss off fans of the team. That way you get upset and buy tomorrow's newspaper so you can see what garbage they're spewing now.

My feeling is this, if you ignore them they will go.

Very true, but the "howard stern factor" is perpetuated by idiots, and unfortunately, I have found that the idiots are the majority.

Bravo Downey! Well played.

SOXPHILE
05-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Gotta give credit when and where it's due. Good job to the Tribune and Mike Downey for running with that article. Downey is to sports journalism what Eric & Kathy are to morning radio - safe, vanilla, pre-chewed pablum that shouldn't elicit much, if any reaction from people other than a shrug of the shoulders. But, he hits a homerun on this one. Outstanding job.

roylestillman
05-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Hmmm. Maybe that's why the Sun-Times is currently trading at 63 cents a share and is about to be de-listed by the NYSE.

VenturaFan23
05-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Wow, talk about hitting the nail on the head in depicting the hypocrisy of the Scum-Times. I'm even embarrassed to be a FORMER Times subscriber. Great article!

SoxGirl4Life
05-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Hmmm. Maybe that's why the Sun-Times is currently trading at 63 cents a share and is about to be de-listed by the NYSE.

lol.. that's an ugly story if they want front page material for tomorrow

Thome25
05-08-2008, 12:18 PM
We're always ripping on the Trib for their jabs at the Sox but, they actually went to bat for us.

Kudos to Downey!!!:bandance:

Jerko
05-08-2008, 12:19 PM
I wonder what Hangar thinks of this.

SoxGirl4Life
05-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Fox Sports is defending the Sox too. http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8117440?MSNHPHMA

gamblinkenny
05-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Fox Sports is defending the Sox too. http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8117440?MSNHPHMA

I was just about to post this myself. Very well written despite the little shot he takes at Ozzie. The best part is how he uses a quote from a feminist writer to absolve the sox from their criticism.

southside rocks
05-08-2008, 12:43 PM
That column also suggested what others have: that it's time to close the locker room to all non-team members, including media. I hope that the suggestion is taken and acted on. Let the players have their own space; let the media people have the press room. It's time.

FielderJones
05-08-2008, 01:03 PM
While I agree with Downey on principle, surely there is a better way to make your point than an ad hominen [sic] argument... :shrug:

Pointing out hypocrisy is not ad hominem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem).

As I read the article on the train this morning, I was grinning ear to ear. The line about supporting girls doing their homework for school actually brought an audible chuckle.

spawn
05-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Listening to the Score last night, Matt Abbatacola, an admitted die-hard Cubs fan, ripped Slezak for her column as well. it seems the Scum-Times is the only publication taking this story and running with it as much as they can. She's looking like a complete idiot right now.

SoxGirl4Life
05-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Listening to the Score last night, Matt Abbatacola, an admitted die-hard Cubs fan, ripped Slezak for her column as well. it seems the Scum-Times is the only publication taking this story and running with it as much as they can. She's looking like a complete idiot again.

She also ripped Greg Olsen for his college frat party music video :?:

DumpJerry
05-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Listening to the Score last night, Matt Abbatacola, an admitted die-hard Cubs fan, ripped Slezak for her column as well. it seems the Scum-Times is the only publication taking this story and running with it as much as they can. She's looking like a complete idiot right now.
Yeah, he really laid into her. He also played up his Cub credentials which gave more credibility to his critique. I gave it a thumbs up.

SOXPHILE
05-08-2008, 01:59 PM
She also ripped Greg Olsen for his college frat party music video :?:

That's "G-Reg" to you !

soxpride724
05-08-2008, 02:02 PM
That column also suggested what others have: that it's time to close the locker room to all non-team members, including media. I hope that the suggestion is taken and acted on. Let the players have their own space; let the media people have the press room. It's time.

I agree keep the media out.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-08-2008, 02:04 PM
I agree keep the media out.

I'm just curious here, but are male reporters allowed into the locker rooms for the WNBA? :scratch:

soxpride724
05-08-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm just curious here, but are male reporters allowed into the locker rooms for the WNBA? :scratch:

I don't believe so.

turners56
05-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Downey just pwned the Sun Times, big time.

kaufsox
05-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Downey definitely gets the "blind squirrel" award for that one. But hey, if I was married to an heiress, I'd be mailing it in too.:D:

thomas35forever
05-08-2008, 08:19 PM
This whole ordeal has to be the biggest humiliation the Sun-Times has had in some time now. I wonder if one of the editors told all the sports columnists to take it and make it seem like the worst thing in the world. If that's true and I were the boss, that editor would be shown the door.

MarySwiss
05-08-2008, 08:25 PM

I don't believe so.

I also doubt it. And even though I am pretty sure your post will provoke a bunch of, "Why would they want to" posts from the usual suspects, your point is well-taken.

I am of the school that thinks NO media (male or female) should be allowed into ANY pro team's locker room. No reason why they can't all just do the postgame press conference.

ws05champs
05-08-2008, 08:33 PM
I just looked at the comments on Slezak's article on the Sun Times Web site and she is getting ripped unmercifully.

In case you want to look at it here is the link:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/slezak/933482,CST-NWS-carol06.article

In honor of all the prudes and tight asses who have found the inflatable dolls offensive, I have just realized what I am going to use to fill the 2 seats I have from old Comiskey.
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/8118170_51_1.jpg

jdm2662
05-08-2008, 08:57 PM
This whole ordeal has to be the biggest humiliation the Sun-Times has had in some time now. I wonder if one of the editors told all the sports columnists to take it and make it seem like the worst thing in the world. If that's true and I were the boss, that editor would be shown the door.

I suspected that in another thread. I have no doubt they were egged on. I mean, they made it front page news on the same day of an important election day. Hey, it's only for president of the United States. Blow up dolls are more important, right?

ElevenUp
05-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Good job by Downey on calling out these hypocrites. I just sent out an email to Slezak asking her what she thinks about the ads her paper runs. I doubt I'll get a reply. It's interesting tat there are no links to this story on the current Sun-Times website.