PDA

View Full Version : No Brainer Trade?

the1tab
05-07-2008, 08:57 PM
The Sox need a 2nd baseman....

The Cubs need a starting pitcher....

The Cubs are overpaying a 2nd baseman and have a younger player that's producing well....

The Sox are overpaying an aging starter and have some pitching depth to work with.....

Jose Contreras for Mark DeRosa?

The Numbers:

DeRosa has 2 years left on a 3-year contract. He'll make $4.75m in 2008 and $5.5m in 2009.

Contreras has two years left on his contract, each for $10m. The Sox would probably have to either eat some of this or take on some dead weight... which I'm not sure the Cubs have to let go of right now.

Jose is 2-3 w/ a 4.08 ERA. He's walked 11 and struck out 21 in 39.2 IP. To put that into context... right now they're looking at a shellshocked Rich Hill with no confidence wandering thru Iowa, Jon Lieber throwing Career Day in Cincinnati, and Jeff Samardzjia apparently waiting for puberty. The Cubs need another starting pitcher with experience. Jose does that.

DeRosa is batting .259, but in a complete departure from Uribe has a nice .381 OBP. He has 18 runs scored thus far with 20 RBI. To put that into context, only Quentin and Crede have more RBI than DeRosa on the current Sox roster, and Uribe's OBP is .239. His OBP would be 2nd on the White Sox current team. He's hit as high as 5th for the Cubs, which gives the Sox at least the possibility of a someone who can play as many positions in the field as he can hit in the order.

Thoughts?

Viva Medias B's
05-07-2008, 08:58 PM
No.

the1tab
05-07-2008, 08:59 PM
No.

Care to qualify your opinion?

sox1970
05-07-2008, 09:02 PM
^

I'll answer for him. No way in hell the Sox give the Cubs pitching. No way in hell.

the1tab
05-07-2008, 09:04 PM
I know Kenny likes dealing w/ the Cubs as much as Boras, but if Kenny could upgrade 2nd base AND unload Jose's contract?? He could save as much as $10m over 2 yrs.

Who else can we get to solve 2nd base and for what?

Tragg
05-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Only if they'll take Uribe as well.

Who do you have in mind for the Sox new starter?

rdwj
05-07-2008, 09:15 PM
We NEED 5 starters. Who do you suggest to take the 5th spot?

A BIG NO

fquaye149
05-07-2008, 09:18 PM
The cubs wouldn't take Contreras

sox1970
05-07-2008, 09:33 PM
The cubs wouldn't take Contreras

Did you see how Lieber did today?

Frater Perdurabo
05-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Interesting idea. But who would replace Contreras in the rotation?

the1tab
05-07-2008, 09:41 PM

Somehow the Cubs would get Oakland involved in a 3-way deal that would end w/ Gio Gonzalez on the South Side...

Frater Perdurabo
05-07-2008, 09:43 PM
If the Sox were reasonably certain that Lance Broadway could slide into the rotation and replicate the ERA and number of wins that Contreras would generate, then I would make this deal.

TomBradley72
05-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Somehow the Cubs would get Oakland involved in a 3-way deal that would end w/ Gio Gonzalez on the South Side...

and either Carl Everett or one of the Alomar brothers. :cool:

Noneck
05-07-2008, 09:45 PM
1st. Sox don't like to eat salaries. This situation they would have to eat part of Contreras and in essence eat Uribes also. (he would be a bench player at 4.5m this year or cut from the squad)

2nd. Who becomes the Sox 5th starter?

3rd. What happens to the future of Richar?

Frater Perdurabo
05-07-2008, 09:49 PM
1st. Sox don't like to eat salaries. This situation they would have to eat part of Contreras and in essence eat Uribes also. (he would be a bench player at 4.5m this year or cut from the squad)

2nd. Who becomes the Sox 5th starter?

I think Richar could win the starting 2B job, and DeRosa could fill a utility role.

Noneck
05-07-2008, 09:50 PM
I think Richar could win the starting 2B job, and DeRosa could fill a utility role.

No way the Sox pay a utility guy that kinda money.

the1tab
05-07-2008, 09:52 PM

Seriously? I'm not sure looking at our batting order with Thome, Konerko, AJ, Dye, Cabrera & Crede (Orlando and Crede in their walk-years) I would be looking much further down the line than 2008. If Richar's for real, he can come up and split 2nd w/ DeRosa and his $5.5m salary next season. DeRosa at worst helps Ozzie maximize that he has in aging veterans right now. The youth movement will happen... it already is in the OF w/ Quentin.

Side note: DeRosa also gives the Sox an OK option at third if Crede walks and Fields isn't ready/legit or needs a day off next season. His best position is 3rd base.

Frater Perdurabo
05-07-2008, 09:54 PM

They're paying Uribe that kind of money right now, and he just happens to be a "utility" player who is only starting at 2B right now because Richar is hurt. The difference is that Uribe can't hit or get on base very well and DeRosa can do both of those things.

the1tab
05-07-2008, 09:54 PM

DeRosa's making the same money as Uribe is right now.

I would HOPE Kenny would pay a good utility player "that kinda money" before he'd keep paying a crap player like Uribe the same money to have a lower OBP than DeRosa has batting average. DeRosa plays just as good, if not better defense, than Uribe and he isn't a trainwreck at the plate.

Paying DeRosa is the last of KWs worries if this deal is legit at all.

Heffalump
05-07-2008, 09:59 PM
The Sox need a 2nd basemen....

The Cubs need a starting pitcher....

The Cubs are overpaying a 2nd baseman and have a younger player that's producing well....

The Sox are overpaying an aging starter and have some pitching depth to work with.....

Jose Contreras for Mark DeRosa?

The Numbers:

DeRosa has 2 years left on a 3-year contract. He'll make $4.75m in 2008 and $5.5m in 2009.

Contreras has two years left on his contract, each for $10m. The Sox would probably have to either eat some of this or take on some dead weight... which I'm not sure the Cubs have to let go of right now.

Jose is 2-3 w/ a 4.08 ERA. He's walked 11 and struck out 21 in 39.2 IP. To put that into context... right now they're looking at a shellshocked Rich Hill with no confidence wandering thru Iowa, Jon Lieber throwing Career Day in Cincinnati, and Jeff Samardzjia apparently waiting for puberty. The Cubs need another starting pitcher with experience. Jose does that.

DeRosa is batting .259, but in a complete departure from Uribe has a nice .381 OBP. He has 18 runs scored thus far with 20 RBI. To put that into context, only Quentin and Crede have more RBI than DeRosa on the current Sox roster, and Uribe's OBP is .239. His OBP would be 2nd on the White Sox current team. He's hit as high as 5th for the Cubs, which gives the Sox at least the possibility of a someone who can play as many positions in the field as he can hit in the order.

Thoughts?

I thought all of these melvin trade ideas from 'backseat GMs' ended with spring training.

Noneck
05-07-2008, 10:00 PM
When Uribe was signed, it was to be the starting SS, not a utility guy. They had no one for short at that time. Richar is planned as the future at 2nd.

spiffie
05-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Did you call this idea into Boers & Bernstein recently? I remember someone called this idea in, only they used Buehrle instead of Contreras. The idea was rightly mocked, as it should be. Subbing in Jose's name doesn't make this idea and less terrible.

the1tab
05-07-2008, 10:06 PM
When Uribe was signed, it was to be the starting SS, not a utility guy. They had no one for short at that time. Richar is planned as the future at 2nd.

So are you then saying Kenny's an idiot for trading for Orlanco Cabrera within days of giving Uribe the contract to play the same position? Because, in trading for Cabrera to play SS, Kenny did one of three things:

He did not think Richar was for real and planned on moving Uribe to 2nd
OR
He saw Uribe as a $5m utility player
OR
Kenny Williams solidified himself a moron

Either way, there are as many holes in your logic as there are in Alfonso Soriano's OF ability.

Frater Perdurabo
05-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Did you call this idea into Boers & Bernstein recently? I remember someone called this idea in, only they used Buehrle instead of Contreras. The idea was rightly mocked, as it should be. Subbing in Jose's name doesn't make this idea and less terrible.

Only a Cub fan with a sub-Forrest Gump IQ would be serious about proposing that the Sox trade Buehrle for DeRosa.

Contreras, on the other hand? The idea has merit if the Sox had another starter waiting in the wings.

Noneck
05-07-2008, 10:09 PM
So are you then saying Kenny's an idiot for trading for Orlanco Cabrera within days of giving Uribe the contract to play the same position? Because, in trading for Cabrera to play SS, Kenny did one of three things:

He did not think Richar was for real and planned on moving Uribe to 2nd
OR
He saw Uribe as a $5m utility player
OR
Kenny Williams solidified himself a moron

Either way, there are as many holes in your logic as there are in Alfonso Soriano's OF ability.
Or Cabrera became available after he was forced to sign Uribe.

the1tab
05-07-2008, 10:14 PM

OK.

I'm still not seeing any logic in trading a #3 starter for a player that plays a position you already have filled at too much money. Having a redundant roster makes no sense. I guess I'll just let it go with a huge ? about your school of thought here.

Even so, just because you have someone who sucks it DOES NOT mean you have to keep him. Wasn't it Einstein who said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? Right now, my friends, we're insane playing Uribe and hoping he learns the strike zone. Case Study: Jacque Jones. He sucks. He's also unemployed. If Richar's legit & ready, cut your losses and get him here. If he isn't then we need to do something about 2nd base, and I think DeRosa would look mighty fine w/ the numbers he's putting up right now in the Sox batting order.

Tragg
05-08-2008, 12:18 AM
What happened after the Sox signed Uribe that suddenly made Cabrera "available".

And did it make sense to make the deal, given that the Sox had already signed Uribe?

chisoxmike
05-08-2008, 12:31 AM
DeRosa is a glorified bench player. He's not as good as he looks on the Cubs.

A big time NO on my part.

kaufsox
05-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Only a Cub fan with a sub-Forrest Gump IQ would be serious about proposing that the Sox trade Buehrle for DeRosa.

Contreras, on the other hand? The idea has merit if the Sox had another starter waiting in the wings.

that's the real sticking point for me. We have been very fortunate with Danks and Floyd, adding another young starter to the mix feels like pressing our luck, no deal.

oeo
05-08-2008, 01:11 AM
I know Kenny likes dealing w/ the Cubs as much as Boras, but if Kenny could upgrade 2nd base AND unload Jose's contract?? He could save as much as $10m over 2 yrs.

Who else can we get to solve 2nd base and for what?

We solve the 2nd base problem, and create a new problem in the rotation. Sounds like a great idea.

I think if we're out of the race at the deadline, Contreras should be dealt. Right now, only 2 games out in early May, you keep your starting pitching.

oeo
05-08-2008, 01:14 AM
What happened after the Sox signed Uribe that suddenly made Cabrera "available".

And did it make sense to make the deal, given that the Sox had already signed Uribe?

Who knows and who cares?

You people need to stop making such a big deal over the Uribe situation. It's a one year deal, it's not like we have him locked up for a few years. Stop bitching about it...it isn't a big deal.

Noneck
05-08-2008, 01:54 AM

I don't know, Thats a question for the angels management or for Williams who spun it that way.

It made sense to me for a couple reasons. He was perceived to be a major upgrade at ss even tho they probably had a good idea at that point that they were going to get Ramirez, who will be the SS in 09. This way the Sox will not have to go through another season of a public outcry to sign Garland as they did last with Burls and no one will care less if they don't sign Cabrera.

Uribe was the insurance policy if this plan did not work.

fquaye149
05-08-2008, 02:01 AM
Did you see how Lieber did today?

so that means they're going to trade for a guy who costs big money and has been mostly lousy in his big league career?

Ok...:?:

This isn't playstation 2.

Lefty34
05-08-2008, 02:17 AM
DeRosa is a glorified bench player. He's not as good as he looks on the Cubs.

A big time NO on my part.

Then what does that make Juan Uribe? A glorified hot dog guy? Uribe had a VORP of -7.1 last year, while DeRosa had a VORP of 21.3 that same year. Although DeRosa is hitting below his career numbers AVG-wise, he is getting on base at a career pace (.381) and we know that Uribe just sucks at the plate, and is most likely not going to bring those numbers up by much.

That is not saying that this is a good trade idea, however, but I think we should at least entertain the thought of getting a solid or average 2b if Richar doesn't pan out or gets hurt again. IMO, this trade would hurt our starting pitching (unless Broadway actually can come up and light the world on fire) and the offense gained from the trade wouldn't fill that void. But we do need help at the 2B, let's not forget that.

Lefty34
05-08-2008, 02:19 AM
so that means they're going to trade for a guy who costs big money and has been mostly lousy in his big league career?

Ok...:?:

This isn't playstation 2.

Nuh-uh, I called Bud Selig today and turned the "User Force Trade" option on, so let the bidding begin.

:tongue:

broker3d
05-08-2008, 09:30 AM
I don't see a purpose behind this trade. We still need Contreras. DeRosa does not play good D at 2nd and he does not provide the speed that we desperately need. It sure appears that the speed on this team will have to come from 2nd base. DeRosa does not accomplish that.

SoxGirl4Life
05-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Trade a starting pitcher who's been pretty good lately for a utility guy?

Umm... no thanks

alohafri
05-08-2008, 09:46 AM

Me

Zisk77
05-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Your right....it takes no-brain to think up a trade like this.:tongue:

the1tab
05-08-2008, 12:29 PM
In response to the thought that DeRosa's nothing more than a utility player, that's fine. Unless a utility player plays equal defense and is 3 times the hitter of someone in your everday lineup. He accomplishes both of those w/ Uribe. Ronny Cedeno's offensive production would seem to make DeRosa and his contract (the same as Uribe's this year for those claiming he's overpaid) available. He plays a good 2B, and an even better 3B. If the Sox continue to suck, and KW decides to make Crede available, then DeRosa gives you an option at third AND second once Richar & Fields arrive. He gets on base and plays the field well. Two things I wouldn't mind having, especially the on base part. I'll say it again: DeRosa's current OBP would be the 2nd best on your Chicago White Sox today... the team that commented about being a 'Moneyball' team coming home from Arizona...

In response to the claim DeRosa's playing over his head, if you look at his last 2 years in the American League prior to joining the Flubbies, as well as last year w/ the NL Central Champ-by-Default, his numbers have been fairly consistent with his career averages given the # of ABs. He's not playing over his head... but he is playing over Uribe's head... which, coincidentally, is where most of the fastball's Juan swings at are located.

And, finally, in response to those that claim losing Jose Contreras is going to knock the Sox out of contention in the AL Central, I would very simply point to the L that Javy Vazquez took in Toronto and say that unless someone on this team gets on base and scores a run, it doesn't matter if we have a rotation of Cy Young, Nolan Ryan, Sandy Koufax and Zeus himself, if the score at the end of the 9th inning is X-0, you're not going to win games.

That is why I said this would be a good deal for the Sox and opened it up for discussion. I'm sick of the Sox watching their great rotation go out every night and give up 2-4 runs (last night excluded) and lose by 1-3 runs. DeRosa came to mind as an affordable, available player that fills a need for the Sox. And why I picked Jose is because Javy & Buehrle aren't going anywhere, and I don't think KW's going to mortgage our rotation's future in Danks or Floyd for help when half the team's 34 yrs old and hitting Cedric Benson's BAC for a batting average. Jose, with his insane contract and age and production the last few years, seems to me to be the easiest target for a trade in the rotation.

sullythered
05-08-2008, 01:48 PM
No thanks. I'm not sure Chris Getz won't end up being Mark DeRosa, and I hate trading starting pitching.

PalehosePlanet
05-08-2008, 06:16 PM
In response to the thought that DeRosa's nothing more than a utility player, that's fine. Unless a utility player plays equal defense and is 3 times the hitter of someone in your everday lineup. He accomplishes both of those w/ Uribe. Ronny Cedeno's offensive production would seem to make DeRosa and his contract (the same as Uribe's this year for those claiming he's overpaid) available. He plays a good 2B, and an even better 3B. If the Sox continue to suck, and KW decides to make Crede available, then DeRosa gives you an option at third AND second once Richar & Fields arrive. He gets on base and plays the field well. Two things I wouldn't mind having, especially the on base part. I'll say it again: DeRosa's current OBP would be the 2nd best on your Chicago White Sox today... the team that commented about being a 'Moneyball' team coming home from Arizona...

In response to the claim DeRosa's playing over his head, if you look at his last 2 years in the American League prior to joining the Flubbies, as well as last year w/ the NL Central Champ-by-Default, his numbers have been fairly consistent with his career averages given the # of ABs. He's not playing over his head... but he is playing over Uribe's head... which, coincidentally, is where most of the fastball's Juan swings at are located.

And, finally, in response to those that claim losing Jose Contreras is going to knock the Sox out of contention in the AL Central, I would very simply point to the L that Javy Vazquez took in Toronto and say that unless someone on this team gets on base and scores a run, it doesn't matter if we have a rotation of Cy Young, Nolan Ryan, Sandy Koufax and Zeus himself, if the score at the end of the 9th inning is X-0, you're not going to win games.

That is why I said this would be a good deal for the Sox and opened it up for discussion. I'm sick of the Sox watching their great rotation go out every night and give up 2-4 runs (last night excluded) and lose by 1-3 runs. DeRosa came to mind as an affordable, available player that fills a need for the Sox. And why I picked Jose is because Javy & Buehrle aren't going anywhere, and I don't think KW's going to mortgage our rotation's future in Danks or Floyd for help when half the team's 34 yrs old and hitting Cedric Benson's BAC for a batting average. Jose, with his insane contract and age and production the last few years, seems to me to be the easiest target for a trade in the rotation.

Half the team is 34, really??? And if that stupid statement were true, may I remind you that you are suggesting that we trade for DeRosa who is 33?

Get rid of the 34 year olds and bring in some 33 year old utility men who are a smidge faster than Konerko and GIDP per-at-bat even more so!!!!!

Priceless.

There is a reason the Cubs are looking for a 2nd baseman.

BRDSR
05-08-2008, 06:59 PM
This is at least an entertainable trade proposition. Most around here aren't.

Lance Broadway has a 1.10 ERA in the Charlotte through 6 starts. 23 Ks vs. 12 walks is a solid ratio. His WHIP is under 1. As far as someone being ready to go, I'd say Broadway is. The only problem is that there's really nobody behind him that I'd be comfortable with. Right now I wouldn't freak out if one of our five got injured.

If the Cubs were willing to eat most/all of Contreras' contract (80%) or more, I'd think long and hard about this trade. DeRosa is a solid hitting, decent fielding second baseman who can play a lot of positions. He would be a valuable asset as a starter this season and at the very least could provide good insurance at a lot of positions in the future.

Now, once Uribe goes on a monster cold streak I'll probably be even more in favor of this trade.

Tragg
05-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Who knows and who cares?

You people need to stop making such a big deal over the Uribe situation. It's a one year deal, it's not like we have him locked up for a few years. Stop bitching about it...it isn't a big deal.
It is a big deal if 2008 counts - which I assume it does, otherwise, what would be the point of getting Cabrera. Having a negative offense out of 2nd base is a real problem and a position in which there is no reason to ever put oneself because adequate hitting 2B are a dime a dozen. Further, that trade sopped up one of the Sox' prime trading pieces.
So we end up exchanging Garland and "no value" Iguchi for a sub .300 obp SS and an organizational minor leaguer, but it's "no big deal." Whatever

I have no problem at all with Uribe -as a SS.

the1tab
05-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Half the team is 34, really??? And if that stupid statement were true, may I remind you that you are suggesting that we trade for DeRosa who is 33?

Get rid of the 34 year olds and bring in some 33 year old utility men who are a smidge faster than Konerko and GIDP per-at-bat even more so!!!!!

Priceless.

There is a reason the Cubs are looking for a 2nd baseman.

Stupidity defined:

Jim Thome - 37 yrs old
Jermaine Dye - 34
Paul Konerko - 33
Orlando Cabrera - 33
AJ Pierzinski - 32

Sorry, I apparently missed by a year when I said half the batting order was 34. But nice attempt at making me sound like an idiot.

Secondly, if you can read the stat pages as well as you can read birthdates, you would know that there is one (1) player on the Sox getting on base more than DeRosa right now, there are two (2) players with more runs batter in, and for a guy barely faster than Paul Konerko he's got more stolen bases this year (2) than Jim Thome's had since the beginning of the 2003 season and almost half as many as Pauly has in his entire Big League career (5).

Finally, if DeRosa's a crap utility player, then why do I look at his salary of $4.75m and the +.138 difference between his OBP and Juan Uribe's at $4.5m, and I wonder who needs the 2nd baseman more.

Priceless? Nice try. Back it up w/ more than simple anti-Cub blind junk and bring some legit meat to your argument. Frankly, I would take Ronny Cedeno OR Mark DeRosa over Uribe right now, and that's after the ball found his bat this afternoon for a nice 3-run job.

fquaye149
05-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Stupidity defined:

Jim Thome - 37 yrs old
Jermaine Dye - 34
Paul Konerko - 33
Orlando Cabrera - 33
AJ Pierzinski - 32

Sorry, I apparently missed by a year when I said half the batting order was 34. But nice attempt at making me sound like an idiot.

Secondly, if you can read the stat pages as well as you can read birthdates, you would know that there is one (1) player on the Sox getting on base more than DeRosa right now, there are two (2) players with more runs batter in, and for a guy barely faster than Paul Konerko he's got more stolen bases this year (2) than Jim Thome's had since the beginning of the 2003 season and almost half as many as Pauly has in his entire Big League career (5).

Finally, if DeRosa's a crap utility player, then why do I look at his salary of $4.75m and the +.138 difference between his OBP and Juan Uribe's at $4.5m, and I wonder who needs the 2nd baseman more.

Priceless? Nice try. Back it up w/ more than simple anti-Cub blind junk and bring some legit meat to your argument. Frankly, I would take Ronny Cedeno OR Mark DeRosa over Uribe right now, and that's after the ball found his bat this afternoon for a nice 3-run job.

So since Mark DeRosa would be the 2nd best hitter on a team full of lousy hitters, it makes sense to trade quality pitching for him?

It's a moot point. The Cubs wouldn't eat Jose's contract for his checky track record, and that would be the only point to trade him--to lose that contract.

TheVulture
05-09-2008, 10:48 AM

Wasn't that the plan before Richar went down?

turners56
05-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Then what does that make Juan Uribe? A glorified hot dog guy? Uribe had a VORP of -7.1 last year, while DeRosa had a VORP of 21.3 that same year. Although DeRosa is hitting below his career numbers AVG-wise, he is getting on base at a career pace (.381) and we know that Uribe just sucks at the plate, and is most likely not going to bring those numbers up by much.

That is not saying that this is a good trade idea, however, but I think we should at least entertain the thought of getting a solid or average 2b if Richar doesn't pan out or gets hurt again. IMO, this trade would hurt our starting pitching (unless Broadway actually can come up and light the world on fire) and the offense gained from the trade wouldn't fill that void. But we do need help at the 2B, let's not forget that.

I think you're forgetting that Derosa is a bad 2B, only reason why Uribe is still playing every day is because he can play a mean second base. He's coming around with the bat too recently, if he can hit .235 with a .300 OBP and play good defense, I can care less how good Mark Derosa's OBP is.

ondafarm
05-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Well, I like the trade, but evidently nobody else does. This would open a starting spot for Masset or Haegar.

voodoochile
05-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Well, I like the trade, but evidently nobody else does. This would open a starting spot for Masset or Haegar.

Why?

spawn
05-09-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm still trying to understand how DeRosa is a better second baseman than Uribe.

BRDSR
05-09-2008, 04:24 PM

The only reason Masset should be given starts is if its related to a double-header. The next time a spot in the rotation opens up, be it by a DL stint or trade, Lance Broadway needs to be on the bump. Haegar is 3rd in line behind Broadway and Masset.

Broadway has thrown over 400 innings in the minors and this season is averaging almost seven innings per start with a 1.10 ERA. Haegar is tearing it up with an ERA over 6.00.

PalehosePlanet
05-10-2008, 03:07 AM
Stupidity defined:

Jim Thome - 37 yrs old
Jermaine Dye - 34
Paul Konerko - 33
Orlando Cabrera - 33
AJ Pierzinski - 32

First off Konerko turned 32 two months ago and AJ won't be 32 for another 7 months. It would be nice if you didn't exagirate, or flat out lie, to try to make your arguement look better.

Also, we have Danny Richar wainting in the wings to take over 2nd base. He'll be ready fairly soon (probably June 1st-ish.) At that point Juan would go to the bench and become a utility player who could back up 3rd, SS and 2B with much better defense than Derosa would provide for our team off the bench. Not to mention that Derosa can't play SS.

Why in the world would you trade a solid SP for a part time player? Even if he did start for us, 2B production is not nearly as important as a SP.

If Brodaway were to take Contreras place in the rotation that would give us 3 starters at the age of 25 or under. There is no way a team can contend with that young of a rotation. As it stands right now we still have to worry about Gavin and Danks running out of gas at some point this year because they've never thrown close to 200 innings. With Lance in there then there is the possiblity of 3 starters running into a wall at some point after the all-star break.

As for the cubs hate, there is simply none of that my part. That's you drawing a wrong conclusion. Did the Cubs not chase Kaz Matsui in free agency? Did they not chase Brian Roberts for months in trade talks? I'm simply stating the obvious: Hendry knows and we all know that Derosa is much better suited to being a utility player.

ondafarm
05-10-2008, 09:25 AM
. . . If Brodaway were to take Contreras place in the rotation that would give us 3 starters at the age of 25 or under. There is no way a team can contend with that young of a rotation. . .

I'm not certain I would keep making age based assertions. Evaluate each individual as he is.