PDA

View Full Version : The union who cried "collusion!"

doublem23
05-07-2008, 01:26 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3384504

I wonder why teams aren't fighting to sign guys like Bonds, Clemens, and Jose Mesa.

WizardsofOzzie
05-07-2008, 08:36 AM
:whiner:

That is all

VeeckAsInWreck
05-07-2008, 09:28 AM
If this was 1996 and these guys went unsigned then I would agree with collusion but when you're old, past your prime or your name has been tied to performance enhancing drugs then I can see why nobody has made you an offer.

If I were Lofton or Bonds I would ask about taking Julio Franco's spot in the Mexican League.

mrfourni
05-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Could you imagine the fan reaction if one of these teams signed Barry Bonds? If the Sox signed him, I'd boo him every time he stepped to the plate.

I don't think its collusion, I think its business.

TDog
05-07-2008, 11:10 AM

If I were Lofton or Bonds I would ask about taking Julio Franco's spot in the Mexican League.

Lofton seems like someone who would go to the Mexican League if he thought he could still play baseball.

I think Bonds would find it beneath him.

Tekijawa
05-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Lofton seems like someone who would go to the Mexican League if he thought he could still play baseball.

I think Bonds would find it beneath him.

The performance enhancing drugs are pretty readily available down there... I bet he could keep belting them out until he died at the age of 52 of complications due to the use of performance enhancing drugs.

russ99
05-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Could you imagine the fan reaction if one of these teams signed Barry Bonds? If the Sox signed him, I'd boo him every time he stepped to the plate.

I don't think its collusion, I think its business.

No kidding. I'd think even the Giants fans who previously cheered him on would have trouble with a Bonds signing now.

Between angering the fanbase and stirring up a hornet's nest of distractions in every city for the other players on the team, I'm not in the least surprised that Bonds and Clemens aren't playing now.

The fact that these bozos still think they deserve top dollar might have something to do with it as well. Even Sosa's ego kept him out a year (or was that the enhancer clean-out) before accepting a low salary to come back. Bonds and Clemens probably have 10X the ego of a Sosa, and that's saying something...

itsnotrequired
05-07-2008, 04:09 PM
If this was 1996 and these guys went unsigned then I would agree with collusion but when you're old, past your prime or your name has been tied to performance enhancing drugs then I can see why nobody has made you an offer.

The union is obligated to file a grievence on his behalf. Not having a contract is evidence enough to justify the complaint. Don't get me wrong, the union brass are rolling their eyes on this one but it is their job to serve the players.

spiffie
05-07-2008, 04:20 PM
What do you do when scoundrels battle scoundrels? Considering the MLB owners were dumb enough to repeatedly collude, it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility that Uncle Bud at least let it be known he would look very unapprovingly at any team signing Bonds. But then, there are plenty of rational reasons not to sign Bonds. His body doesn't let him play the field every day, so remove the NL teams. Any AL team with either a good or a big-money DH doesn't need him, so scratch the White Sox, Red Sox, Yankees, A's, Indians, Blue Jays. You need to be in contention, as for all the complaining about Bonds, there's a lot of fans who would suddenly love him if he hit a HR to clinch a division for their team. So with that scratch the Orioles, Rangers, Mariners (for now at least).

So who might be willing to pull the trigger? If the D-Rays really think they have a chance to do something this year he might be an option. But for now at least they are getting good enough production from the DH spot (846 OPS).

The Angels would be an interesting option. They are getting nothing out of the DH spot right now. The California media has always been kinder to Bonds than most outlets, so the fans might be more accepting there than in nearly any other part of the country.

Lastly is the Tigers. Sheff is out for who knows how long. They are getting very little from the DH spot. They don't mind people with questionable histories (Maggs, Rodriguez, Rogers). They have the cash to spend. They don't mind pissing off Bud Selig (look at their willingness to go way over slot money in the draft). I suspect if they have another month of bad production from the DH they might be picking up the phone and calling Barry's agent.

russ99
05-07-2008, 04:24 PM
What do you do when scoundrels battle scoundrels? Considering the MLB owners were dumb enough to repeatedly collude, it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility that Uncle Bud at least let it be known he would look very unapprovingly at any team signing Bonds. But then, there are plenty of rational reasons not to sign Bonds. His body doesn't let him play the field every day, so remove the NL teams. Any AL team with either a good or a big-money DH doesn't need him, so scratch the White Sox, Red Sox, Yankees, A's, Indians, Blue Jays. You need to be in contention, as for all the complaining about Bonds, there's a lot of fans who would suddenly love him if he hit a HR to clinch a division for their team. So with that scratch the Orioles, Rangers, Mariners (for now at least).

So who might be willing to pull the trigger? If the D-Rays really think they have a chance to do something this year he might be an option. But for now at least they are getting good enough production from the DH spot (846 OPS).

The Angels would be an interesting option. They are getting nothing out of the DH spot right now. The California media has always been kinder to Bonds than most outlets, so the fans might be more accepting there than in nearly any other part of the country.

Lastly is the Tigers. Sheff is out for who knows how long. They are getting very little from the DH spot. They don't mind people with questionable histories (Maggs, Rodriguez, Rogers). They have the cash to spend. They don't mind pissing off Bud Selig (look at their willingness to go way over slot money in the draft). I suspect if they have another month of bad production from the DH they might be picking up the phone and calling Barry's agent.

My bet was and still is on the Yankees. He'd go for it since his dad played there, and they already are dealing with (alleged) juicers in Giambi and Pettitte.

If they don't turn things around by the middle of the year, they'd have the cash and the desperation to bring him in while moving Giambi to 1B and Matsui to the OF.

And besides, everyone already hates them anyway. Signing Bonds may upset their fanbase, but to the rest of us it's nothing new to hate the Yankees.

spiffie
05-07-2008, 04:37 PM
My bet was and still is on the Yankees. He'd go for it since his dad played there, and they already are dealing with (alleged) juicers in Giambi and Pettitte.

If they don't turn things around by the middle of the year, they'd have the cash and the desperation to bring him in while moving Giambi to 1B and Matsui to the OF.

And besides, everyone already hates them anyway. Signing Bonds may upset their fanbase, but to the rest of us it's nothing new to hate the Yankees.
Giambi is already playing 1B. He's played 24 of 31 games for them this year at first. And there's really no room for Matsui in the OF, as all of their OF are having good years. Unless they would be looking to trade an OF, not sure where Bonds would fit.

white sox bill
05-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Collusions are hard to prove in court. Like price setting, another violation of anti-trust laws. Ever wonder why gas goes up in one station, (or down) the one down the street follows suit? I know they have employees that check on that all the time, but ya still gotta wonder if the boss's are the ones talking