PDA

View Full Version : Manny Ramirez 500 watch a little much?

JermaineDye05
05-06-2008, 07:41 PM
I can't remember more coverage of a 500th homerun. Sure it's a great achievement but I mean it's not like he's reaching 600 or anything.

Railsplitter
05-06-2008, 07:45 PM
It's a lot too much.

pierzynski07
05-06-2008, 07:46 PM
I hope you say the same thing about Griffey.

Sure, 600 is great, but it's not like he's reaching 700 or anything.

JermaineDye05
05-06-2008, 07:49 PM
I hope you say the same thing about Griffey.

Sure, 600 is great, but it's not like he's reaching 700 or anything.

He's not getting nearly as much of a watch as Manny.

rdwj
05-06-2008, 07:55 PM

Right - I've heard at least twice as much about Manny. I understand 600. I even understand 500 LOCALLY. But the national coverage Manny's 500th is being given is WAY over the top.

jdm2662
05-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Hmm, I wasn't even aware he was close to it. I guess not watching ESPN makes my life better. :redneck

WhiteSox5187
05-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Right - I've heard at least twice as much about Manny. I understand 600. I even understand 500 LOCALLY. But the national coverage Manny's 500th is being given is WAY over the top.
But Manny is part of the NATION!

Billy Ashley
05-06-2008, 08:17 PM
I think it may have a lot to do with the fact that Manny has always been seen as clean from PEDs and he's the first guy to get to 500 (and 500 home runs was once seen as the equivalent to 3,000 hits before all the roids) since the Mitchel Report

Given that Thome did it last year and A-Rod did it as well and both are typically seen as clean ball players (A-Rod does have the whole Canseco issue though) it does seem a little silly. However, it's good for baseball so I'm fine with it.

pierzynski07
05-06-2008, 08:37 PM
:scratch: In what ways exactly?

TheOldRoman
05-06-2008, 08:39 PM
I think it may have a lot to do with the fact that Manny has always been seen as clean from PEDs and he's the first guy to get to 500 (and 500 home runs was once seen as the equivalent to 3,000 hits before all the roids) since the Mitchel Report I think that has nothing to do with it. You touched on Thome. If he hit 10 less homers last year, do you think ESPN would have a nightly Thome-ticker or whatever nonsense they are doing for Manny? Do you think they would be doing it for Manny had he never left Cleveland? We all know the answer to that.

A-rod did it last year, and there was coverage. I don't remember the coverage being overbearing like this is. I know Yankees fans and Red Cubs fans both think ESPN overhypes the other team, but this shows pretty clearly where ESPN's alliances and rooting interests lie.

On a simlar note, a buddy at work is from Boston. I was talking to him about the Extra Innings package. He said he canceled it because he gets to see the Red Sox 2-3 times a week on ESPN anyway.:angry:

pierzynski07
05-06-2008, 08:41 PM
:scratch: They had a nightly ticker for Thome as far as I saw. Again, am I missing something here?

JermaineDye05
05-07-2008, 12:31 AM
:scratch: They had a nightly ticker for Thome as far as I saw. Again, am I missing something here?

I keep seeing manny watches on tv, and on MLB.tv there's a commercial always running between the breaks which shows Hank Aaron's homer, and a bunch of others and just ends with Manny. I was like ***** he's not guaranteed a hall of fame spot with that homer and it's not like he's even close to Hank Aaron.

fquaye149
05-07-2008, 12:35 AM
If you throw out all likely juicers, Manny would be among a very select few ballplayers.

500 HR is important as long as you're not, like Sammy Sosa, Raffy Palmeiro, or McGwire or whoever

fquaye149
05-07-2008, 12:35 AM
I keep seeing manny watches on tv, and on MLB.tv there's a commercial always running between the breaks which shows Hank Aaron's homer, and a bunch of others and just ends with Manny. I was like ***** he's not guaranteed a hall of fame spot with that homer and it's not like he's even close to Hank Aaron.

No you're right--he's guaranteed a HOF spot by being one of the 3 best RH hitters of the last 15 years and putting up tremendous batting numbers for a long long time

hi im skot
05-07-2008, 12:53 AM
I like Manny.

WhiteSox5187
05-07-2008, 12:55 AM
If you throw out all likely juicers, Manny would be among a very select few ballplayers.

500 HR is important as long as you're not, like Sammy Sosa, Raffy Palmeiro, or McGwire or whoever
The problem is those guys have so cheapened what 500 HRs is, I mean had Canseco played another year he probably would have gotten it, as would McGriff. Is McGriff a HOFer? Steroids or no steroids, I don't think so.

JermaineDye05
05-07-2008, 07:15 PM
No you're right--he's guaranteed a HOF spot by being one of the 3 best RH hitters of the last 15 years and putting up tremendous batting numbers for a long long time

Oh I know he's a hall a famer, I just feel like this whole watch is just a little much. 500 is a great thing for him, it's just not that great.

TheVulture
05-09-2008, 09:37 AM
It's simple - Manny is more popular than Thome or Griffey.

rdwj
05-09-2008, 09:47 AM
It's simple - Manny is more popular than Thome or Griffey.

No, not at all. He plays for the Red Sox - that's all. Griffey is EASILY a bigger name

fquaye149
05-09-2008, 09:56 AM
No, not at all. He plays for the Red Sox - that's all. Griffey is EASILY a bigger name

not anymore he's not.

MISoxfan
05-09-2008, 12:27 PM
I think it may have a lot to do with the fact that Manny has always been seen as clean from PEDs and he's the first guy to get to 500 (and 500 home runs was once seen as the equivalent to 3,000 hits before all the roids) since the Mitchel Report

Given that Thome did it last year and A-Rod did it as well and both are typically seen as clean ball players (A-Rod does have the whole Canseco issue though) it does seem a little silly. However, it's good for baseball so I'm fine with it.

I think you're forgetting someone.

Fenway
05-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Funny thing is the story is not that big a deal in Boston itself.

The Red Sox have big numbers over the monster for the countdown but that is certainly normal for any team to do.

Why is ESPN doing this? Obvious..... they are showing the Red Sox-Twins on Sunday night.

Max Power
05-09-2008, 02:57 PM
I must be getting better at avoiding ESPN; I had no idea Manny was approaching 500 HRs until I read this thread.

RadioheadRocks
05-09-2008, 08:00 PM
I like Manny.

You can have him.

Fenway
05-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Manny has a sore hamstring....

With him it could be a day, a week a month

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

Lefty34
05-11-2008, 05:43 PM
I must be getting better at avoiding ESPN; I had no idea Manny was approaching 500 HRs until I read this thread.

Yeah, I thank God that studying for finals has reduced my ESPN-watching substantially. I really cannot stand the clear bias that station has for East-Coast anything. In fact, wasn't Sunday Night Baseball originally supposed to showcase different home ballparks around the league or something like that?

Anyway, props to Manny for getting close to the 500 HR mark, but if ESPN insists on having a HR-Watch for Manny I want it to be featured right after the Manny Uses Illegal MP3 Headphones-Watch and the Manny Gets Bored in LF and Does Something Odd Again-Watch, I think those would be more interesting.