PDA

View Full Version : Optimism

SoxNation05
05-06-2008, 04:10 PM
I have not been on in a while because I knew there would be all these terrible threads starting. I am not really one to be very optimistic. I have been disguisted in the last games with this terrible hitting. I am extremely happy with Floyd and Danks as all of you probably are. "Pitching wins championships." When we are hitting thats what were hearing, when we are playing like this (which I can't recall a time we did) we are blowing up. I think we are jumping to serious conclusions. We are two games back. The Oakland A's are 5.5 games better than the Tigers. The Marlins have a better record than the Mets. I cannot stand Juan Uribe but that does not mean he is the reason were not hitting. Are "weak" starting pitchers are dealing. We have never been a team to play well in the beggining of the year. I only recall '00 and '05. Hitting will come around and when it does we will be right in the thick of things. If the pitching stays how it has been we can surprise many, many people. I don't think we will win the division, but this team is still about the pitching. If they pitch like they have we will win 85-95 games and cannot argue with that. Chill out, we got at least an average team and they will play that way. Every game matters and I also think that, but we got a lot of baseball left and we are 2 GB.

SoxGirl4Life
05-06-2008, 04:17 PM
:crossfingers:

WhiteSox5187
05-06-2008, 04:21 PM
I have not been on in a while because I knew there would be all these terrible threads starting. I am not really one to be very optimistic. I have been disguisted in the last games with this terrible hitting. I am extremely happy with Floyd and Danks as all of you probably are. "Pitching wins championships." When we are hitting thats what were hearing, when we are playing like this (which I can't recall a time we did) we are blowing up. I think we are jumping to serious conclusions. We are two games back. The Oakland A's are 5.5 games better than the Tigers. The Marlins have a better record than the Mets. I cannot stand Juan Uribe but that does not mean he is the reason were not hitting. Are "weak" starting pitchers are dealing. We have never been a team to play well in the beggining of the year. I only recall '00 and '05. Hitting will come around and when it does we will be right in the thick of things. If the pitching stays how it has been we can surprise many, many people. I don't think we will win the division, but this team is still about the pitching. If they pitch like they have we will win 85-95 games and cannot argue with that. Chill out, we got at least an average team and they will play that way. Every game matters and I also think that, but we got a lot of baseball left and we are 2 GB.
Ya mean the two years we actually made the playoffs??

I agree though that it is too early to blow the whole thing up, but it's clear that with this offense some sort of change needs to be made because we can't afford to keep giving away close games like this.

October26
05-06-2008, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the positive thoughts, welcome back and Go Sox!

twsoxfan5
05-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Ya mean the two years we actually made the playoffs??

I agree though that it is too early to blow the whole thing up, but it's clear that with this offense some sort of change needs to be made because we can't afford to keep giving away close games like this.

The title of the thread is optimism. We have enough pessimism in 100 other threads on this site. Thanks SoxNation I needed that.

voodoochile
05-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Love the title and the sentiments, Don't let the thunderheads get you down.

Vernam
05-06-2008, 06:59 PM
I almost think fans would be less distressed if the pitching tanked along with the hitting. The starters have been great, especially Javi, Danks, and Floyd. Buehrle will be fine, and Jose has pitched way better than anyone predicted. If they can keep it up, only total failure by our lineup (which is what we're seeing at present) and/or by the back end of the bullpen could keep us out of contention.

So the starters are definitely cause for optimism, but ironically, their performance is part of what's driving a lot of people crazy. It feels like we're wasting pitching, and it also seems that with just a workaday lineup -- nothing flashy, say, like Minnesota's -- we'd be right in it all year.

Anyway, here's to our starting five. :gulp:

Vernam

Baines83
05-06-2008, 07:04 PM
I almost think fans would be less distressed if the pitching tanked along with the hitting. The starters have been great, especially Javi, Danks, and Floyd. Buehrle will be fine, and Jose has pitched way better than anyone predicted. If they can keep it up, only total failure by our lineup (which is what we're seeing at present) and/or by the back end of the bullpen could keep us out of contention.

So the starters are definitely cause for optimism, but ironically, their performance is part of what's driving a lot of people crazy. It feels like we're wasting pitching, and it also seems that with just a workaday lineup -- nothing flashy, say, like Minnesota's -- we'd be right in it all year.

Anyway, here's to our starting five. :gulp:

Vernam
All I can say is that it is an honor to watch our starters go out there every game and bust their tails knowing that the offense probably won't score more than three runs. Incredible determination!

fquaye149
05-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Love the title and the sentiments, Don't let the thunderheads get you down.

Time is going to tell and there's really no need to get worked up but, well, the White Sox have kind of been seeding the clouds these past few weeks, to continue the metaphor

But seriously, if you told me the starting rotation would have been this good in February, I would have been ecstatic. And the lineup hasn't really been much worse than I expected. There's a lot to be happy about, if not for this season, then for 09.