PDA

View Full Version : How active was this board before "the separation?"

BackInBlack
05-01-2002, 09:04 PM
WSI was with who, RealGM before the collapse? I dunno. Either way, this is an awesome site, and I know Sox fans have a loyal following, so I figured this would be one of the more active MLB communities out there. How did we stack up with the other heavies? It'd be cool to compare message board activity with actual attendance figures.

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/mlb/clubhouse/chw.gif

Daver
05-01-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by BackInBlack
WSI was with who, RealGM before the collapse? I dunno. Either way, this is an awesome site, and I know Sox fans have a loyal following, so I figured this would be one of the more active MLB communities out there. How did we stack up with the other heavies? It'd be cool to compare message board activity with actual attendance figures.

This site was affiliated with Rivals before their decline

PaleHoseGeorge
05-01-2002, 11:13 PM
WSI joined the Rivals network in February, 2000. I had only added a message board to the old site a few weeks earlier and had no community to speak of. In spite of this, WSI was already established as one of the top-5 sites amongst the Rivals baseball network by opening day, 2000. We were getting about 1,000 hits per day.

Nobody grew faster than WSI. We finally passed the reigning champion, Orioles Hangout, in September, 2000. We were drawing about 15,000 daily hits.

On opening day, 2001 we set the Rival's baseball network hits record with 48,000, narrowly beating Orioles Hangout again. Rivals went under just a few days later.

We now draw over 200,000 hits. I doubt anybody comes close to matching our traffic, except a pair of sites that never were affiliated with Rivals.

We're gonna blow their doors off next.

:)

BackInBlack
05-01-2002, 11:35 PM
Awesome, George. I always enjoy reading your posts. My first ever post here was back in the days of Rivals, and I posed a question asking about the sports origin of "Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey, goodbye..." Sure enough, you confirmed that the White Sox were the first pro sports team to popularize this song at games. You gave me a great historical background and it's good to see you guys doing so well. I really liked the Rivals network, especially for college football and college football recruiting, so I was sad to see it go under. I see they're up again with AllianceSports, but I'm guessing they're not involved in baseball anymore.

BTW, what were the teams that weren't a part of Rivals that drew such massive hits? Lemme guess: BoSox, Braves, Yanks.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-02-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by BackInBlack
...BTW, what were the teams that weren't a part of Rivals that drew such massive hits? Lemme guess: BoSox, Braves, Yanks.

I would rather not say, but they rhyme with Stankees and Ratstrohs. There may be other sites out there, too, but I don't waste too much time surfing around for competition.

I'm just arrogant enough to believe we're kicking everybody else's tail already.

:)