PDA

View Full Version : Could Chris Getz help the Sox?

Frater Perdurabo
05-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Is there any chance that Getz could do a serviceable job at 2B, batting ninth, for the Sox?

Put another way, would Getz be an upgrade over Uribe (until Richar is ready to return)?

ondafarm
05-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Do you mean would he hurt? I would forsee him playing very solid defense but not being a great offensive force.

fquaye149
05-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Is there any chance that Getz could do a serviceable job at 2B, batting ninth, for the Sox?

Put another way, would Getz be an upgrade over Uribe (until Richar is ready to return)?

Is he an upgrade defensively? At best he'd be a slight improvement

Is he an upgrade with the stick? Almost certainly.

I don't know how much sense it makes to bring a guy up to upgrade the 9 spot when none of the other lineup spots ar ehitting

kjhanson
05-06-2008, 10:28 AM
I've been partial to Chris for sometime now. Of course it helps he went to Michigan, but he's been a solid baseball player at every level so far. Coming into this year he has been an extremely tough strikeout. He's off to a slow start from a BB:K perspective (8:19 in 89 at-bats) but he's had an incredible 39% more walks than strikeouts in his previous three minor league seasons.

To me, he seems like he would be one of those guys that's just a solid, annoying baseball player. I hate this phrase, but I would expect him to be "pirahna-like". Opposing teams overlook him, yet he never strikes out, gets on base, runs well and hits for a solid average. The guy is a number 2 hitter if there ever was one.

Frater Perdurabo
05-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Improving the 9-spot isn't the answer to what ails the Sox, but wouldn't an incremental improvement be of some help?

cards press box
05-06-2008, 11:41 AM
In 89 AB's at Charlotte, Chris Getz is hitting .292 with 2 HR, 5 RBI and 3 SB. Getz has a .351 OBP and a .404 SLG. Getz plays good defense and may provide a fundamentally sound offensive game. Given the substandard play the Sox have gotten at 2B so far, why not give Getz a chance to play?

russ99
05-06-2008, 12:04 PM
In 89 AB's at Charlotte, Chris Getz is hitting .292 with 2 HR, 5 RBI and 3 SB. Getz has a .351 OBP and a .404 SLG. Getz plays good defense and may provide a fundamentally sound offensive game. Given the substandard play the Sox have gotten at 2B so far, why not give Getz a chance to play?

When we have other options, why rush him to the bigs? We've messed up a lot of our prospects that way.

Maybe if we're out of contention early (hope not) he'd get a look, but not now.

Tragg
05-06-2008, 12:05 PM
I don't see how he could be any worse than what we have now.

But I wouldn't suggest rushing him or anyone.

kjhanson
05-06-2008, 12:13 PM
But I wouldn't suggest rushing him or anyone.

Would this be considered "rushing" though? He's made a natural progression from Rookie Ball to A to AA and now to AAA. Of course it's only been three seasons, but three very successful seasons at that, which, most importantly, followed three full years of collegiate baseball.

Straight out of high school and three years to the big leagues might be pushing it. But he's in his 6th year of post-high school baseball. He spent time in the ACC, and then at the Big Ten's best (currently) baseball program.

russ99
05-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Would this be considered "rushing" though? He's made a natural progression from Rookie Ball to A to AA and now to AAA. Of course it's only been three seasons, but three very successful seasons at that, which, most importantly, followed three full years of collegiate baseball.

Straight out of high school and three years to the big leagues might be pushing it. But he's in his 6th year of post-high school baseball. He spent time in the ACC, and then at the Big Ten's best (currently) baseball program.

If the Sox see him as a future 2B starter, this full season in AAA will be invaluable in his development. Playing part time and riding the pine in Chicago would detract from that.

btrain929
05-06-2008, 12:26 PM
I wished Bourgeois could play 2B (he did earlier in his career) and leadoff. That would help our roster tremendously.

Malgar 12
05-06-2008, 01:10 PM
If the Sox see him as a future 2B starter, this full season in AAA will be invaluable in his development. Playing part time and riding the pine in Chicago would detract from that.

The only reason to bring him up would be to put him at 2B and leave him there.

fquaye149
05-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Improving the 9-spot isn't the answer to what ails the Sox, but wouldn't an incremental improvement be of some help?

Sure, but when we're looking for answers how to jump start this team, Uribe would be one of the last places I'd look

GAsoxfan
05-06-2008, 01:38 PM
I don't know how much sense it makes to bring a guy up to upgrade the 9 spot when none of the other lineup spots ar ehitting

So the Sox shouldn't try to upgrade at all until the other people start hitting? How does that logic make any sense? Getz may not be much of an upgrade, but if he is, it's going to help even if the other guys aren't hitting.

Lukin13
05-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Bring him up and tell him his is the everyday second baseman for the entire '08 season.

This will hopefully put him at ease.

If he doesn't flourish this season and we don't bring in Hudson or another FA, let him battle it out with Richar for the '09 gig in ST.

Stoky44
05-06-2008, 02:43 PM
When we have other options, why rush him to the bigs? We've messed up a lot of our prospects that way.

Or we over rated our prospects and when they are brought up they suck. I am not disagreeing with you on if the Sox should or should not bring up Getz. I am just saying I honestly think that a lot of the prospects sucked, and 2 more years in the minors would not have proved otherwise.

fquaye149
05-06-2008, 04:07 PM
So the Sox shouldn't try to upgrade at all until the other people start hitting? How does that logic make any sense? Getz may not be much of an upgrade, but if he is, it's going to help even if the other guys aren't hitting.

I beg your pardon? Where did I say that.

I just said a slight offensive upgrade for the 9 spot shouldn't be our most pressing concern.

But thanks for putting words in my mouth! That was really awesome of you!

JohnTucker0814
05-06-2008, 04:32 PM
I beg your pardon? Where did I say that.

I just said a slight offensive upgrade for the 9 spot shouldn't be our most pressing concern.

But thanks for putting words in my mouth! That was really awesome of you!

however, if you can upgrade at 2nd base, even in the slightest, and in our 9 spot... why haven't we done that? As long as it's an upgrade it should be done. If we can update our last guy on the bench... we should do it... it's silly to think that we shouldn't upgrade something...

gogosox16
05-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Do you mean would he hurt? I would forsee him playing very solid defense but not being a great offensive force.
I doubt it could get any worse as it is right now at 2nd

fquaye149
05-06-2008, 04:48 PM
however, if you can upgrade at 2nd base, even in the slightest, and in our 9 spot... why haven't we done that? As long as it's an upgrade it should be done. If we can update our last guy on the bench... we should do it... it's silly to think that we shouldn't upgrade something...

well there are one or two possibilities

1.) Kenny isn't willing to DFA Uribe to assure that Ozzie plays Getz

2.) Kenny doesn't think Getz is ready

3.) :shrug: I dunno

SoxNation05
05-06-2008, 04:49 PM
I wished Bourgeois could play 2B (he did earlier in his career) and leadoff. That would help our roster tremendously.
I wish Jerry Owens could play 2B.

Britt Burns
05-07-2008, 01:09 AM
No.

KRS1
05-07-2008, 03:06 AM
No.

Well then, color me convinced!

Having seen Chris play, I honestly can't see how he could possibly be worse than Juan, but the problem remains whether he is really ready for the gig. It's a rush him/push him because we need him thing, but I don't see how it could really hurt anything (him or us).

Lorenzo Barcelo
05-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Maybe Gookie Dawkins is the answer for 2b. Seriously, who is that guy?
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Gookie%20Dawkins&pos=&sid=t494&t=p_pbp&pid=235194