PDA

View Full Version : Let the pitchers hit?

Scottiehaswheels
05-05-2008, 11:19 PM
At this point I almost expect them to post a better batting average than half the regular players as they haven't received any "instruction" from Walker... Why not give it a shot?

Chicken Dinner
05-05-2008, 11:20 PM
I've seen our pitchers bat. :scratch:

Scottiehaswheels
05-05-2008, 11:22 PM
I've seen our pitchers bat. :scratch:So have I. At least they can get a ****ing bunt down.

Chicken Dinner
05-05-2008, 11:30 PM
So have I. At least they can get a ****ing bunt down.

Which one? :scratch:

Scottiehaswheels
05-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Which one? :scratch:Mark, Javy, Jose... I know I've seen them each do it at least once and why not give Danks/Gavin a shot at a couple AB's. What are we really going to give up that we don't already get out of the DH? Another K a night?

Chicken Dinner
05-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Mark, Javy, Jose... I know I've seen them each do it at least once and why not give Danks/Gavin a shot at a couple AB's. What are we really going to give up that we don't already get out of the DH? Another K a night?

We didn't even bunt Pablo tonight with the bases juiced. Where was the squeeze?

LoveYourSuit
05-05-2008, 11:48 PM
With Thomas gone and now possibly Thome at his end..... MLB, pleaese do away with the DH rule....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

Chicken Dinner
05-05-2008, 11:55 PM
With Thomas gone and now possibly Thome at his end..... MLB, pleaese do away with the DH rule....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

Not gonna happen. I like the DH.

Nellie_Fox
05-06-2008, 12:42 AM
At this point I almost expect them to post a better batting average than half the regular players as they haven't received any "instruction" from Walker... Why not give it a shot?Don't be ridiculous.

With Thomas gone and now possibly Thome at his end..... MLB, pleaese do away with the DH rule....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.I'll second the "not gonna happen." The DH is used at pretty much every level of baseball now. The National League is the oddball now, not the American League.

DSpivack
05-06-2008, 12:58 AM
This ranks as one of the dumbest ideas I've ever read on WSI.

Scottiehaswheels
05-06-2008, 01:03 AM
This ranks as one of the dumbest ideas I've ever read on WSI.Ha yeah I know... Javy has a career .212 BA which is only better than 3 current every day players...

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2008, 01:14 AM
Don't be ridiculous.

I'll second the "not gonna happen." The DH is used at pretty much every level of baseball now. The National League is the oddball now, not the American League.

I don't want DH rule to be removed for the sake of watching bad pitchers hit, I just want my team (the Sox) for one yeay get away from their softball mentality of playing baseball.

Also by removing the DH, that's $15 million (in our case) which can be applied to other bigger needs such as player development.

TDog
05-06-2008, 02:19 AM
Regardless of how bad your designated hitter hits, you are better off with a DH. In 1976 the Sox hitting was so bad that Ken Brett, a good hitting pitcher hit for himself twice. Both times the Sox were shut out. His only hit in 1976 came as a pinch-hitter.

Of course, if you have really good starting pitching, the designated hitter gives your team an advantage. One downside is that your starter has to face an additional hitter, but the designated hitter protects the pitcher from having to hit and run the bases and protects the manager from having to take out the starter for a pinch hitter.

The AL ERA jumped from 3.06 in 1972 to 3.83 in 1973, the first year of the DH, but this was a time of great starting pitchers. In 1973, there were a dozen AL 20-game winners, an average of one per team (although three were on the A's). Pitchers such as Wilbur Wood, Mickey Lolich and Gaylord Perry pitched deeper into the the games than they did before because the were independent of the batting order. The A's had a great bullpen, and it was well rested with Catfish Hunter, Vida Blue and Kenny Holtzman averaging more than 7 innings per start. All of a sudden, they weren't coming out for pinch-hitters when the team was down by three runs in the sixth or seventh.* Even if they gave up a few runs early they could still be tough to hit late in the game.

In the National League, the Mets went to the 1973 World Series without a 20 game winner. It's true that they only won only 82 regular season games, but Tom Seaver was in the class of any pitcher in the American League and had an ERA of 2.08. Complete games in the AL went from 537 in 1971 to 614 in 1973 and 650 in 1974. Complet games in the non-DH NL went from 546 in 1971 to 447 in 1973 and 439 in 1974.

It's true today that the fashion in baseball is to wear out inferior bullpen pitchers to protect the huge investment teams have in their starting pitching, but a team with superior starting pitching is better off leaving the pitcher in on his own terms rather than have the offense dictate when the pitchers is going to come out.

*In the pre-DH days, managers sometimes left weak-hitting pitchers in the game when they needed a run, I know. It was always a gutsy call that is no longer necessary.

For example, on Aug. 9, 1972, in Anaheim with the White Sox two games behind the first-place A's, Nolan Ryan intentionally walked Buddy Bradford to get to Wilbur Wood with two out in the seventh inning of a scoreless game. Chuck Tanner left Wood in the game. I don't know what pitch Art Kusnyer called, but Wood, who finished his career with a .084 batting average, singled to right for what turned out to be the game's only run. The A's lost that night, and the White Sox moved to within a game of first.

That was a fun year. The Sox were shut out, I think, 18 times in 154 games, but it was a fun year.

soxfan13
05-06-2008, 10:58 AM
I say make a trade for Micah Owens he would win the triple crown batting every day:redneck

hi im skot
05-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Too bad Garland is gone...there's a dude who knew how to handle the lumber.

:dtroll:

kitekrazy
05-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Don't be ridiculous.

I'll second the "not gonna happen." The DH is used at pretty much every level of baseball now. The National League is the oddball now, not the American League.

That could explain the the decline of talent in MLB. Everyone wants to be a D.H. So far no career D.H. has been elected to the HOF. I hope it never happens. A D.H. is not a ballplayer, only a hitter,.

Dan Mega
05-06-2008, 08:17 PM
That could explain the the decline of talent in MLB. Everyone wants to be a D.H. So far no career D.H. has been elected to the HOF. I hope it never happens. A D.H. is not a ballplayer, only a hitter,.

You're not one of those "punters aren't football players" people are you?

Blueprint1
05-07-2008, 03:08 PM
You're not one of those "punters aren't football players" people are you?

I hate when people say that.

HebrewHammer
05-08-2008, 02:27 AM
http://members.optusnet.com.au/yeseron/Thread%20pics/this_thread_rocks.jpg

Pitchers batting...what'll they think of next? A midget?

Railsplitter
05-08-2008, 06:35 AM
I seem one G.H. Ruth was a fine pitcher who was so good hitting he was moved to the outfield.

The DH is invaribaly a lead-footed defensive liability. Everybody puts on a glove, everybody hits. Baseball got along okay for over century with this.

TomBradley72
05-08-2008, 09:17 AM
I seem one G.H. Ruth was a fine pitcher who was so good hitting he was moved to the outfield.

The DH is invaribaly a lead-footed defensive liability. Everybody puts on a glove, everybody hits. Baseball got along okay for over century with this.

Jim Thome against lefties = a pitcher hitting.

Thome's 2007 OPS vs. LHs: .663 (.196 BA)

D. Willis: .856
A. Wainwright: .710
B. Penny: .618
Zambrano: .593
Tim Hudson: .594

nug0hs
05-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Yet another reason why we should have signed Zambrano

BRDSR
05-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Too bad Garland is gone...there's a dude who knew how to handle the lumber.

:dtroll:

HAHA! His career stats show him with 17 at bats, but I think I can see him swinging in my minds eye. It was all arms, no legs, no torso, and every time it looked like the bat was going to sail over the first base dugout. He did manage three hits though.

DSpivack
05-08-2008, 11:17 PM

Yeah, that bum Frank Thomas doesn't deserve to be elected.

jcw218
05-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Frank Thomas is not a career DH. Frank has played the majority of his career as a 1st baseman. Only after injuries limited his mobility did he become a DH.

spiffie
05-09-2008, 05:28 AM
Frank Thomas is not a career DH. Frank has played the majority of his career as a 1st baseman. Only after injuries limited his mobility did he become a DH.
971 games at 1B
1271 games at DH

TomBradley72
05-09-2008, 09:56 AM
971 games at 1B
1271 games at DH

And it wasn't just due to injuries, etc...at one point he pretty much "opted out" of playing in the field while he was with the White Sox.

With that said...the DH is an official position in the American League...there's no reason for DH's to not be considered for the Hall of Fame and Frank deserves to go in on the first ballot.

thomas35forever
05-09-2008, 10:42 AM
You want the Sox to move to the National League? I think I'll pass for now.

hi im skot
05-09-2008, 02:26 PM
HAHA! His career stats show him with 17 at bats, but I think I can see him swinging in my minds eye. It was all arms, no legs, no torso, and every time it looked like the bat was going to sail over the first base dugout. He did manage three hits though.

He hit a home run in Cincinnati in '06.