PDA

View Full Version : Cowley says some players might be sent packing tomorrow

Sockinchisox
05-05-2008, 10:46 PM
From his twitter account:

Talk around the clubhouse is one, and maybe two, players could be sent packing tomorrow. The Reaper is a coming kids. Lock the doors.

hi im skot
05-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Hmmmm...mass suicide?

Sockinchisox
05-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Rongey just said he got a text message saying Uribe might be dumped tomorrow.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Rongey just hinted about "changes being made" on the basis of a text message from Toronto. Uribe's name was mentioned.

GlassSox
05-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Hmmmm...mass suicide?

If they use guns they will all survive, they can't hit ****!

05-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Uribe's name was mentioned.

DFA the only guy with 2 hits tonight?:scratch:

ND_Sox_Fan
05-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Rongey just hinted about "changes being made" on the basis of a text message from Toronto. Uribe's name was mentioned.

While Uribe certainly has his problems (as we have chronicled for two years), I almost feel bad if there is only one guy singled out to take the fall for the 10 other position players who can't hit. This could/should involve more than one player.

sox1970
05-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Ozuna needs to go. Ramirez needs to be sent to AAA until September.

Bring up Getz. Bring up Owens. Give it a try, because nothing else is working.

WhiteSox5187
05-05-2008, 10:54 PM
DFA the only guy with 2 hits tonight?:scratch:
And the guy with a whopping .214 OBP...if we have another alternative at second, whether Richar or Getz, Uribe doesn't belong on this team. I'm also thinkin' that Ozuna might be likely to get going.

hi im skot
05-05-2008, 10:55 PM
While Uribe certainly has his problems (as we have chronicled for two years), I almost feel bad if there is only one guy singled out to take the fall for the 10 other position players who can't hit. This could/should involve more than one player.

Agreed. Uribe deserves better than to be unceremoniously dumped.

soxinem1
05-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Why is Ramirez STILL on the team?

chisoxmike
05-05-2008, 10:56 PM
They'll probably send Russell back down, I hope Ramirez too.

sox1970
05-05-2008, 10:56 PM

Russell was already sent down after the game.

chisoxmike
05-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Russell was already sent down after the game.

Oh.

southsideirish71

He has hit .235 for 2 years, and his lackadaisical play last year at short forced Kenny to look for a replacement. These guys get paid a lot of money to play a game. The rest of the 4.5 mill he gets this year will make him feel better. Thank you for 2005, but its time to go.

Get Josh Fields up here. I don't care if he has nowhere to play. At least he is a MLB player. He would have been hitting in Ozuna spot tonight. Big help Russell was instead of Field for the weekend.

Sockinchisox
05-05-2008, 10:58 PM

Rongey said they already sent him back down.

hi im skot
05-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Big help Russell was instead of Field for the weekend.

We didn't need him with our excellent starting pitching.

Sockinchisox
05-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Cowley just updated it again saying Uribe may have just played his last game for the Sox.

05-05-2008, 11:01 PM
We didn't need him with our excellent starting pitching.

Thats not my point. We wouldn't have needed him either way. On the otherhand it might have been a different story if Fields was at the plate for the last AB.

hi im skot
05-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Cowley just updated it again saying Uribe may have just played his last game for the Sox.

Do you have a link for his Twitter?

(possibly the best sentence I've ever typed on WSI)

hi im skot
05-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Thats not my point. We wouldn't have needed him either way. On the otherhand it might have been a different story if Fields was at the plate for the last AB.

Yeah, instead of a double-play he would have struck out...

I love Fields, but he's no saviour.

WhiteSox5187
05-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Who would replace him at second? Getz?

Sockinchisox
Do you have a link for his Twitter?

(possibly the best sentence I've ever typed on WSI)

www.twitter.com/cst_sox

veeter
Agreed. Uribe deserves better than to be unceremoniously dumped.You're right. I have a soft spot for Juan. However, more than his physical problems, I think they've had enough of his mental gaffs. Not scoring today was a mental error a little leaguer might make.

hi im skot
05-05-2008, 11:04 PM
www.twitter.com/cst_sox (http://www.twitter.com/cst_sox)

Thanks.

DickAllen72
05-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Well unless they are replacing him with a real major league middle infielder, they are making a big mistake. Uribe may suck at the plate but at least he does drive in a run now and then and he plys excellent defense.

I've been Pablo's biggest fan over the past few years but it's time for him to go before Uribe. And Ramirez needs to go down to play every day and prove he can hit AAA pitching and play decent defense. Those two need to go down before Uribe who can play any infield position well in the field and has ML experience.

kittle42
05-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Somebody has to go. Uribe is an obvious choice. I'd honestly rather it also include someone more surprising.

sox1970
05-05-2008, 11:05 PM
The 2005 player count is going down to 7 one way or the other tomorrow.

2005!!!!1!!!

ondafarm
05-05-2008, 11:06 PM

Yeah, but being traded to the Outer Mongolian national team was outlawed by the last CBA.

itsnotrequired
05-05-2008, 11:07 PM

Was he threatened with a choking as well?

soxfan44

Agreed.

Uribe hit about .250 when they won it in '05. He'll end up the same this year. I'm fine with him sticking around to play 2nd. It's not his fault no one else can hit. I'd rather see Ozuna go down or be gone. I'd also like Ramirez down for a couple months.

hi im skot
The 2005 player count is going down to 7 one way or the other tomorrow.

2005!!!!1!!!

You constantly make fun of anyone who dare mentioning 2005, yet you bring this up unprovoked...

soxfan44
05-05-2008, 11:08 PM

Agreed.

Uribe hit about .250 when they won it in '05. He'll end up the same this year. I'm fine with him sticking around to play 2nd. It's not his fault no one else can hit. I'd rather see Ozuna go down or be gone. I'd also like Ramirez down for a couple months.

itsnotrequired
05-05-2008, 11:09 PM

Was Ranger threatened with a choking as well?

*regionchoke*

sox1970
05-05-2008, 11:09 PM
You constantly make fun of anyone who dare mentioning 2005, yet you bring this up unprovoked...

I was making fun of the 2005 people. It was subtle, I guess.

DickAllen72
05-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Somebody has to go. Uribe is an obvious choice. I'd honestly rather it also include someone more surprising.
The only one who should be released that would surprise me is Thome. He can't play any position and with DH open there's room for either Owens (with Dye to DH) or Fields (at DH) on the team. But it will never happen.

It should be either Ozuna or Ramirez (or both) but it will probably be Uribe which isn't smart unless a major league infielder has been acquired in a trade.

soxfan44
05-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Well unless they are replacing him with a real major league middle infielder, they are making a big mistake. Uribe may suck at the plate but at least he does drive in a run now and then and he plys excellent defense.

I've been Pablo's biggest fan over the past few years but it's time for him to go before Uribe. And Ramirez needs to go down to play every day and prove he can hit AAA pitching and play decent defense. Those two need to go down before Uribe who can play any infield position well in the field and has ML experience.

You are correct, Sir!

Bill Naharodny
05-05-2008, 11:12 PM
I'd sit Thome. Management and Ozzie's psychic attachment to him, particularly in the 3-hole, is almost as much of a problem as Uribe's lousy play. (Cue "he's a Hall of Famer, you pants-pisser" responses.) He'll end up playing later, and probably a lot. But I think these guys need to know, in a very visceral way, that last year will not be repeated. Accountability is paramount, and Thome's been giving away at-bats for awhile now.

If our GM and manager are as committed to winning this year as they say -- their asserted reason for almost every move they've made, including the myopic retention of Ramirez on the major league roster -- then they need to BE that. Make the move. It's important as a matter of hitting. And it's important symbolically.

Chicken Dinner
05-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Agreed.

This teams problem is not Juan Uribe. The bench players of Alexie and Pablo are much more of a problem then Juan. And Ozzie will always remeber when he didn't have anyone to play SS.

soxfan44
05-05-2008, 11:15 PM
The only one who should be released that would surprise me is Thome. He can't play any position and with DH open there's room for either Owens (with Dye to DH) or Fields (at DH) on the team. But it will never happen.

It should be either Ozuna or Ramirez (or both) but it will probably be Uribe which isn't smart unless a major league infielder has been acquired in a trade.

I'd love to see Uribe catch on with someone else in the Division and light up the Sox if he is just dumped. No one is caught off guard by Ozuna anymore. Ramirez looks like I would trying to hit major league pitching (although he has a couple long fly outs).

soxfan44
05-05-2008, 11:20 PM
I'd sit Thome. Management and Ozzie's psychic attachment to him, particularly in the 3-hole, is almost as much of a problem as Uribe's lousy play. (Cue "he's a Hall of Famer, you pants-pisser" responses.) He'll end up playing later, and probably a lot. But I think these guys need to know, in a very visceral way, that last year will not be repeated. Accountability is paramount, and Thome's been giving away at-bats for awhile now.

If our GM and manager are as committed to winning this year as they say -- their asserted reason for almost every move they've made, including the myopic retention of Ramirez on the major league roster -- then they need to BE that. Make the move. It's important as a matter of hitting. And it's important symbolically.

Bada Bing - Bada Boom!!

Vernam
05-05-2008, 11:21 PM
I won't be especially sad to see Uribe go, but he's just a scapegoat. Getting rid of him isn't going to have a major positive effect. The tough choices won't get made.

Vernam

hi im skot
05-05-2008, 11:22 PM

You blew my mind.

Viva Medias B's
05-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Juan Uribe is useless. Cut him.

Noneck
05-05-2008, 11:25 PM
I just can't see the Sox salt and peppering Uribes contract. Does he have options left for the minors?

Chicken Dinner
05-05-2008, 11:32 PM
I just can't see the Sox salt and peppering Uribes contract. Does he have options left for the minors?

They would have to eat the whole thing.

Juan Uribe ss
1 year/$4.5M (2008)

re-signed 11/8/07
award bonuses: $0.1M each for MVP, WS MVP; $75,000 for LCS MVP; $50,000 for TSN All Star; $25,000 for Gold Glove, All Star; $15,000 each for Silver Slugger, All Star selection
3 years/$9.75M (2005-07), plus $5M 2008 club option

05:$2.15M, 06:$3.15M, 07:$4.15M, 08:$5M club option ($0.3M buyout)
re-signed 12/04
1 year/$0.35M (2004), re-signed 3 /04
1 year/$0.3M (2003)
agent: Martin Arburua
ML service: 6.089

Noneck
05-05-2008, 11:40 PM

I meant does he have an option to be dropped down to Charlotte like MacDougal. This may wake him up or other vets on the team. If he chooses not to go down, the Sox would be off the hook for his salary.

goon
05-05-2008, 11:41 PM

LOLzor, 2005 was so ****ty!

ND_Sox_Fan
05-05-2008, 11:42 PM

It is really two options: (1) eat the whole thing and let someone play who can develop into a true starter at second or (2) eat the whole thing and let Uribe play second while letting the future start at AAA.

The contract, in economic terms, is a "sunk cost"; decisions shouldn't be made on what has really already been spent. Decisions are now made on what creates the most value for the team going forward - wasted money in the past or not.

Daver
05-05-2008, 11:43 PM
I meant does he have an option to be dropped down to Charlotte like MacDougal. This may wake him up or other vets on the team. If he chooses not to go down, the Sox would be off the hook for his salary.

It does not work that way.

He has a contract that is guaranteed, he gets paid no matter what.

southsideirish71
05-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Agreed.

Well he better go on one of these mythical "he can carry the entire team" runs for a while to do that. His BA is so low right now he will be lucky he can hit .220.

LoveYourSuit
05-05-2008, 11:46 PM
I'd love to see Uribe catch on with someone else in the Division and light up the Sox if he is just dumped. No one is caught off guard by Ozuna anymore. Ramirez looks like I would trying to hit major league pitching (although he has a couple long fly outs).

Never wish bad on your own team.

Although the only thing Uribe has lit up these days is his glock.

Chicken Dinner
05-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Well he better go on one of these mythical "he can carry the entire team" runs for a while to do that. His BA is so low right now he will be lucky he can hit .220.

Who's BA is eye catching at this point?

CLR01
05-05-2008, 11:48 PM
I'd love to see Uribe catch on with someone else in the Division and light up the Sox if he is just dumped.

There's a better chance of Kenny calling me to replace him on the roster. But it's good to know that Uribe>>Sox in your book.:thumbsup:

Garland_IS_God
05-05-2008, 11:51 PM
If Thome were to get released...bon voyage! Im sick of watching him swing and miss at garbage every night. Move JD to DH and bring up Owens to see what he can do.

DSpivack
05-05-2008, 11:57 PM
If Thome were to get released...bon voyage! Im sick of watching him swing and miss at garbage every night. Move JD to DH and bring up Owens to see what he can do.

Yup, let's release a guy (and eat $10+ million) who has well over 500 career HRs and in two seasons with the team has hit very well. Why? Because he hasn't hit for a month.

Rocky Soprano
05-05-2008, 11:59 PM

That must be some really strong stuff that you are smoking.

TheOldRoman
05-06-2008, 12:00 AM
I am not sold on this anonymous player tipping off Rongey. If this player knew, wouldn't the whole team know? If the whole team knew, the press would know. Assuming it was a "team leader" like Konerko or Thome who tipped Ranger off after a closed door meeting with him and the coaches, Ozzie will be pissed because he will know exactly where the leak came from.

Chicken Dinner
05-06-2008, 12:01 AM

JD's been hitting the cover off the ball. Isn't Garland on the Angels?

CHISOXFAN13
05-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Yup, let's release a guy (and eat $10+ million) who has well over 500 career HRs and in two seasons with the team has hit very well. Why? Because he hasn't hit for a month.

Not like the Sox haven't done something similar in the past. 1993 ring a bell Fisk fans?

I wouldn't be surprised by this at all.

ksimpson14
05-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Uribe is good for the clubhouse. His horse glue keeps the Latins together. His voice is like a sweet child, better than Jose Valentin

Alexiefidel Ramirez has no business on this team. Drop him. Bring up Getz if you must

itsnotrequired
05-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Uribe is good for the clubhouse. His horse glue keeps the Latins together. His voice is like a sweet child, better than Jose Valentin

Alexiefidel Ramirez has no business on this team. Drop him. Bring up Getz if you must

classic...

Noneck
05-06-2008, 12:09 AM
It does not work that way.

He has a contract that is guaranteed, he gets paid no matter what.

If he gets optioned to Charlotte and doesn't want to go, he can say no and still get his salary?

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2008, 12:10 AM

You can't release Uribe on Cinco de Mayo.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-06-2008, 12:11 AM
If he gets optioned to Charlotte and doesn't want to go, he can say no and still get his salary?

You can't option Uribe. The Sox would need to DFA, then is he passes waivers option him.

sox1970
05-06-2008, 12:12 AM

Yes, but he'd have no choice if he had options, which he doesn't.

Bottom line--when Uribe is removed from the 25-man roster, he's done with the White Sox.

thomas35forever
05-06-2008, 12:12 AM
I'd hold onto Uribe at least until Richar got healthy again, but then again, I might not even cut him then. Uribe is our 2B until Richar proves he can put up decent numbers. A .230 average won't cut it.

Sockinchisox
05-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Gonzo's take:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/05/changes-in-stor.html

Noneck
05-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Yes, but he'd have no choice if he had options, which he doesn't.

Bottom line--when Uribe is removed from the 25-man roster, he's done with the White Sox.

What site shows who has options left?

jdm2662
05-06-2008, 12:17 AM
A surprise would be welcomed. Uribe and Ozuna are the obvious choices, but hey, throw in someone else to make things exciting. God forbid, there is something to actually get excited about. Other than AJ, TCQ, and sometimes Crede, I've got no faith in anyone in the lineup right now. Roll the dice, spin the wheel, use the dart board, hell, play rocks, paper scissors. There are lots of crap to choose from. Why not make it exciting.

I've been saying this in the past, and I will say it again, what irks me the most about Uribe is not so much his lousy hitting, his famous high fast ball swing and misses, etc, but it's the mental errors. Today was no exception. So, he got two hits today. Whoppie. Blame goes across the board, and well deserved, but it doesn't excuse for making yet another mental gaffle today.

Domeshot17
Uribe gone means Ozuna is our 2b?!?!

How is this any better

We trade a guy who can't hit but has power and a great glove for a guy who can't hit can't field has no power and is no longer fast. Uribe is the lesser of 2 evils.

sox1970
What site shows who has options left?

I think he has too much service time for that to be an option. Again, he's not going to AAA with the Sox. When they move him, he's gone for good.

sox1970
05-06-2008, 12:19 AM

How is this any better

We trade a guy who can't hit but has power and a great glove for a guy who can't hit can't field has no power and is no longer fast. Uribe is the lesser of 2 evils.

Chris Getz would probably come up and bat 9th.

erob3833
05-06-2008, 12:20 AM
http://twitter.com/cst_sox/statuses/804359325
http://twitter.com/cst_sox/statuses/804367305

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2008, 12:22 AM
This will sound nuts:

What about Crede?

Out with a "migraine headache?"

Not avaialable to pinch hit?

Kind of odd to me.

Maybe he finds the door since they want Fields up here so badly.

Sound nuts but right now I expect just about anything.

Sockinchisox
05-06-2008, 12:24 AM
This will sound nuts:

What about Crede?

Kind of odd to me.

Maybe he finds the door since they want Fields up here so badly.

Sound nuts but right now I expect just about anything.

That would surprise me, considering Crede has been producing, not so much lately but still.

Boondock Saint
05-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Sending Crede down would MURDER any trade value he'd repaired this season. I'll eat my hat if they send him down.

Chicken Dinner
05-06-2008, 12:28 AM

How is this any better

I still think he's our best option and he has no reason (as the #9 guy) to catch sooooo much criticism. Lets look at the 1-2-3-4-5-6 hitters! When has a solid defensive guy who can't hit very well carried any team?

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2008, 12:29 AM
Sending Crede down would MURDER any trade value he'd repaired this season. I'll eat my hat if they send him down.

Outright release IMO.

1. No long term commitment
2. Two huge errors have caused this team
3. Slumping bad right now.
4. Maybe the back flared up again.

Maybe both he and Uribe sent packing.

Noneck
05-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Outright release IMO.

#4 is interesting. I watch Crede make those errors and see him struggling at the plate and have thought to myself, I wonder if his back has problems again. I hope his back is ok tho.

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2008, 12:40 AM
#4 is interesting. I watch Crede make those errors and see him struggling at the plate and have thought to myself, I wonder if his back has problems again. I hope his back is ok tho.

I don't want Crede gone.

But something about Ozzie's comment the other day where he said that Fields will be playing big league ball here sooner than later....that has left me thinking either of a trade for Crede or something might be wrong with him.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Uribe seems like the most obvious person to go, but it wouldn't surprise me if Thome is cut. The Sox could feel like he may no longer produce like he has the past few seasons and cut him, like the Jays did with Thomas, in fear of him getting 550+ PA to kick that option in for next year. I don't want to hear all the HOF'er stuff is why he belongs in the lineup. There is a very slight possibility that Thome may never come around, and could be at the end of his career. It's not like this has never happened to anyone before. While I still think he has 1-2 good seasons left, Thome may not have anything left.

Chicken Dinner
05-06-2008, 12:47 AM
Uribe seems like the most obvious person to go, but it wouldn't surprise me if Thome is cut. The Sox could feel like he may no longer produce like he has the past few seasons and cut him, like the Jays did with Thomas, in fear of him getting 550+ PA to kick that option in for next year. I don't want to hear all the HOF'er stuff is why he belongs in the lineup. There is a very slight possibility that Thome may never come around, and could be at the end of his career. It's not like this has never happened to anyone before. While I still think he has 1-2 good seasons left, Thome may not have anything left.

I still say it's too early in the season.

oeo
05-06-2008, 12:49 AM

You wouldn't be surprised? No way the Sox eat that much money. Besides, Thome will be fine.

For those that almost feel sorry for Uribe: boohoo. He was almost cut before the season, but Richar got hurt. A message needs to be sent that there's no messing around this year. I like it, and this kind of management is long overdue from the Sox.

Noneck
I don't want Crede gone.

But something about Ozzie's comment the other day where he said that Fields will be playing big league ball here sooner than later....that has left me thinking either of a trade for Crede or something might be wrong with him.
And the migraine tonite also, if he was out of the lineup tonite because of playing so many games lately on artificial turf I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I never heard of Crede having migraines before, I always thought they were chronic and would have been mentioned sometime in his career. I also know how teams love to hide things these days and I never have trusted Sox management. Yea, you got me going bigtime now.

CWSpalehoseCWS
I still say it's too early in the season.

I agree with you but it is a possibility.

kittle42
You wouldn't be surprised? No way the Sox eat that much money. Besides, Thome will be fine.

For those that almost feel sorry for Uribe: boohoo. He was almost cut before the season, but Richar got hurt. A message needs to be sent that there's no messing around this year. I like it, and this kind of management is long overdue from the Sox.

Completely agree on both counts.

Soxfest
05-06-2008, 12:52 AM
Thome is safe but playing against LH pitchers anymore I say he will sit and not make his plate apperance clause.

oeo
05-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Thome is safe but playing against LH pitchers anymore I say he will sit and not make his plate apperance clause.

Thome is hitting LHP much better than RHP this year. That has nothing to do with it...he's just cold as ice.

ChiSoxFan35
05-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Richar blows too

oeo
05-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Richar blows too

Yep, since you can judge a player after two months. :rolleyes:

BTW, he had a very nice September.

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2008, 01:05 AM
And the migraine tonite also, if he was out of the lineup tonite because of playing so many games lately on artificial turf I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I never heard of Crede having migraines before, I always thought they were chronic and would have been mentioned sometime in his career. I also know how teams love to hide things these days and I never have trusted Sox management. Yea, you got me going bigtime now.

Crede's attitude to not want to dump Borass (which is his right) might not spell loyalty to the White Sox.

For some reason, I don't think Crede and Kenny see eye to eye since his refusal of back surgery when issue first discovered.

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2008, 01:10 AM
I think if Ramirez was being sent down this would have happened a long time ago.

Uribe dumped means Ramirez starts.

$1.1 million per season long term needs to start right away IMO.

Noneck
05-06-2008, 01:16 AM
I think if Ramirez was being sent down this would have happened a long time ago.

Uribe dumped means Ramirez starts.

$1.1 million per season long term needs to start right away IMO.

I agree, it would have happened before the Toronto trip and who's going to play 2nd if not Ramirez. Beside Uribe it may just be just swapping Owens for Anderson.

JGarlandrules20
05-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Outright release IMO.

Lol. Are you for real? 2 errors and he's good for a release now?

Wow. People definitely need to step away from the edge.

Is the offense non-existant right now? Yes. Are we on a 6 game losing streak? Yes.
But it could be so much worse. You know it will get better, it has to. Simple as that. This offense is too good to do this 2 seasons in a row. Our pitching is doing it's part, things WILL come around. We were winning just fine the first few weeks of the season....

Honestly. To all the "fans" wanting to cut every single guy on the roster now.... get out. It's a bad stretch of games, not a whole season.

If we're gunna struggle, now's the best time to do it as the whole division is kinda sucking too. Let's get it out of our system early and start playing some real baseball right about..... now.

Scottiehaswheels
05-06-2008, 01:34 AM
This offense is too good to do this 2 seasons in a row. How the hell do you know? If they were so damn good they shouldn't have done it for 1 year, let alone going on 2 seasons now, counting the 2nd half '06.

Nellie_Fox
05-06-2008, 01:38 AM
And the migraine tonite also, if he was out of the lineup tonite because of playing so many games lately on artificial turf I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I never heard of Crede having migraines before, I always thought they were chronic and would have been mentioned sometime in his career.I'm nearly 59 years old, and I've had three migraines in my life, with over ten years between occurrences. For all we know, this may be the first one he's ever had.

When you have a good one, you're pretty much incapacitated. Your vision is screwed up, you're light-sensitive, and often nauseated, not to mention the pain. It's not something that can be addressed with "a couple of aspirin" as was suggested in the post-game thread.

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Lol. Are you for real? 2 errors and he's good for a release now?

Wow. People definitely need to step away from the edge.

Is the offense non-existant right now? Yes. Are we on a 6 game losing streak? Yes.
But it could be so much worse. You know it will get better, it has to. Simple as that. This offense is too good to do this 2 seasons in a row. Our pitching is doing it's part, things WILL come around. We were winning just fine the first few weeks of the season....

Honestly. To all the "fans" wanting to cut every single guy on the roster now.... get out. It's a bad stretch of games, not a whole season.

If we're gunna struggle, now's the best time to do it as the whole division is kinda sucking too. Let's get it out of our system early and start playing some real baseball right about..... now.

Read my previous posts to see where I came up with this idea.:rolleyes:

JB98
05-06-2008, 01:41 AM
We've had people calling for both Thome and Crede to be granted their outright release tonight.

At least I'm getting a few laughs to lighten the mood during this horrible losing streak.

WhiteSox5187
05-06-2008, 01:45 AM
Yep, since you can judge a player after two months. :rolleyes:

BTW, he had a very nice September.
Owens had about as much playing time as Richar and also had a nice September yet people are ready to toss him by the way side too...any word yet on when we'll know for certain what move(s) is going to be made?

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2008, 01:48 AM
We've had people calling for both Thome and Crede to be granted their outright release tonight.

At least I'm getting a few laughs to lighten the mood during this horrible losing streak.

Now your taking it too far and being a smart ass.

No one is calling/pushing/rooting for either of their releases.

People have the right to speculate on what they think might/could happen.

Greg Walker getting fired, yes, tons of people are "calling" for his firing.

Nellie_Fox
05-06-2008, 01:51 AM

People have the right to speculate on what they think might/could happen.Au contraire. I'm not going to go looking for them, but yes, there have been posts tonight calling for each of them to be released.

JB98
05-06-2008, 01:54 AM

People have the right to speculate on what they think might/could happen.

Greg Walker getting fired, yes, tons of people are "calling" for his firing.

Of course people have the right to speculate. And I have the right to indicate that such speculation is preposterous.

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2008, 02:01 AM
Of course people have the right to speculate. And I have the right to indicate that such speculation is preposterous.

But this is the nature of the thread.

The thread is about a factual report written by a beat writer pretty much stating that heads are going to roll.

It is only normal for people to speculate even "preposterous" ideas why they think player X will be released being that names have not been mentioned yet other than the punching bag which is Juan Uribe.

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2008, 02:06 AM
Au contraire. I'm not going to go looking for them, but yes, there have been posts tonight calling for each of them to be released.

I did bring up the Crede idea just because of two things:

1. A comment by Ozzie a few days ago stating that Fields will be up here this year sooner than we think.

2. This mysterious Migraine Headache tonight.

Now am I a complet loon for this idea crossing my mind (by the nature of the thread)?

oeo
05-06-2008, 02:07 AM
Owens had about as much playing time as Richar and also had a nice September yet people are ready to toss him by the way side too...any word yet on when we'll know for certain what move(s) is going to be made?

Come talk to me when Jerry Owens plays at a need position. There's no room for him...same with BA. Too bad for them that they're the fourth and fifth best outfielders.

Also, Richar actually showed ability with the bat that he can sustain.

cws05champ
05-06-2008, 09:57 AM
But this is the nature of the thread.

The thread is about a factual report written by a beat writer pretty much stating that heads are going to roll.

It is only normal for people to speculate even "preposterous" ideas why they think player X will be released being that names have not been mentioned yet other than the punching bag which is Juan Uribe.

Here's what I'm hoping happens:
- Greg Walker fired
- Ozuna DFA'd
- Owens recalled
- Dye and Thome start splitting time at DH so we can get Owens and BA some time in CF.
- MORE WINS!!!!

roylestillman
05-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Here's what I'm hoping happens:
- Greg Walker fired
- Ozuna DFA'd
- Owens recalled
- Dye and Thome start splitting time at DH so we can get Owens and BA some time in CF.
- MORE WINS!!!!

Congratulations on finding Aisle Common Sense, but what about Fields up and splitting DH between Konerko and Thome?

voodoochile
05-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Outright release IMO.

Oh man... that's... that's.... that's awesome analysis.

Wow... out right release... wow... the Sox should hire you...

Then give you a mop and tell you to go clean the locker room.

Jerko
05-06-2008, 10:21 AM
So has anything happened yet or was somebody just blowing smoke up our asses?

BainesHOF
05-06-2008, 10:24 AM
It's completely unacceptable that one of a struggling team's best hitters, Josh Fields, is in the minors. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Sockinchisox
05-06-2008, 10:33 AM
So has anything happened yet or was somebody just blowing smoke up our asses?

It's 9 in the morning, I wouldn't expect anything happening if it does happen until the afternoon.

AZChiSoxFan
05-06-2008, 10:41 AM
:praying::praying::praying:

ondafarm
05-06-2008, 10:47 AM

Could be worse, they could give you a plunger and tell you to get to work.

whitem0nkey
05-06-2008, 10:50 AM
maybe will have to wait until Wednesday?

rdwj
05-06-2008, 10:54 AM
It's completely unacceptable that one of a struggling team's best hitters, Josh Fields, is in the minors. That makes no sense whatsoever.

It makes sense because he's young and needs to learn how to play his position. He has a year to get MUCH better and stop being a defensive liability. We have plenty of players that can DH - we don't need another one.

HawkDJ
05-06-2008, 10:57 AM
We just haven't hit our stride...

voodoochile
05-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Could be worse, they could give you a plunger and tell you to get to work.

Well with the amount of crap that's being passed of as genius on these forums recently, a plunger may be necessary yet...

dickallen15
05-06-2008, 11:12 AM

Hitting .240 at AAA with a .318 OBP and leading the league in striking out. He'd fit right in.

cws05champ
05-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Congratulations on finding Aisle Common Sense, but what about Fields up and splitting DH between Konerko and Thome?
I would not want Fields to learn a new position at the ML level. It's hard enought to concentrate on your hitting, let alone learn a position at the highest level. With Quentin or Swisher in RF and Konerko at 1st, gives us our best defense/offense combo.
Dye could still play RF a few times a week, but DH the days a LHP in on the mound. Also, notice that I don't think Uribe should be cut....but he should ride the pine and back up all IF poitions. Also, Alexi should start at 2B until Richar is healthy

AZChiSoxFan
05-06-2008, 11:17 AM
You can't option Uribe. The Sox would need to DFA, then is he passes waivers option him.

I assume you meant to use the word "IF", not "IS".

Now my reply:

IF he passes waivers!?!?!?!.

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

MsSoxVixen22
05-06-2008, 11:21 AM
While I agree w/getting Uribe outta here, why aren't they doing anything about Ozuna?? Does the make Ozuna our 2nd baseman now? If so, that scares me to death! :cower:I'd like to see Owens brought up and Ramirez send down. He hasn't done a ****ing thing since he's been here. I don't care that he had a good spring! And what's with Crede being out w/a "migraine headache?" Is that just a line of bull**** or what? A headache isn't a good enough reason to be sitting on the bench! You're grown men for crying out loud, suck it up take some ibuprofen and get your ass out there and score some runs!

kittle42
05-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Hitting .240 at AAA with a .318 OBP and leading the league in striking out. He'd fit right in.

AAA stats only translate if it's Jerry Owens, don't you know!?

Jjav829
05-06-2008, 11:31 AM
This will sound nuts:

What about Crede?

Have you ever had a migraine headache? Do you know how hard it is to even function with one, much less play baseball?

Jjav829
05-06-2008, 11:35 AM
I did bring up the Crede idea just because of two things:

1. A comment by Ozzie a few days ago stating that Fields will be up here this year sooner than we think.

2. This mysterious Migraine Headache tonight.

Why is it mysterious? :?:

SoxGirl4Life
05-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Have you ever had a migraine headache? Do you know how hard it is to even function with one, much less play baseball?

When I have a migrane, I find it hard to crawl out from under my pillow in my dark room long enough to use the facililities.

The Immigrant
05-06-2008, 11:41 AM

Scottie Pippen has been getting **** for almost 20 years now for sitting out a playoff game with a migraine headache, so I'm not surprised by the reaction of some people.

soxfan13
05-06-2008, 11:51 AM
While I agree w/getting Uribe outta here, why aren't they doing anything about Ozuna?? Does the make Ozuna our 2nd baseman now? If so, that scares me to death! :cower:I'd like to see Owens brought up and Ramirez send down. He hasn't done a ****ing thing since he's been here. I don't care that he had a good spring! And what's with Crede being out w/a "migraine headache?" Is that just a line of bull**** or what? A headache isn't a good enough reason to be sitting on the bench! You're grown men for crying out loud, suck it up take some ibuprofen and get your ass out there and score some runs!

I would lean towards Crede having a real migraine. If it was as simple as a headache I would hope that Ozzie would have used him as a pinch hitter in the 9th. IMO

russ99
05-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Scuttlebutt is that Kenny's making a few moves today to shake the team out of the doldrums.

Any ideas?

My gut would be swapping Ramirez (or Ozuna) and Owens, with Russell also going back down. Would Kenny purposely cut into Uribe's trade value by sending him to AAA?

edit - oops - didn't see the thread in WTS.

kaufsox
05-06-2008, 11:59 AM
First, those who think migraine's are "just" headaches, obviously have never had one. Like others have said, they completely overwhelm you. The thought of looking at those lights with a migraine makes me nauseous. Second, before the slump, many folks, especially Steve Stone were praising Uribe's defense as one of the keys to the Sox success. While I wouldn't be sorry to see him go, he isn't the greatest problem the Sox have, and it could make 2B a hole in the defense that we don't need.

russ99
05-06-2008, 12:00 PM
First, those who think migraine's are "just" headaches, obviously have never had one. Like others have said, they completely overwhelm you. The thought of looking at those lights with a migraine makes me nauseous. Second, before the slump, many folks, especially Steve Stone were praising Uribe's defense as one of the keys to the Sox success. While I wouldn't be sorry to see him go, he isn't the greatest problem the Sox have, and it could make 2B a hole in the defense that we don't need.

Richar would be the optimal replacement, but he's not close to coming back yet.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-06-2008, 12:04 PM
all i'm going to say is that a team with a decent hitting coach is going to get ahold of uribe, and we're not going to be happy with the result.

russ99
05-06-2008, 12:06 PM
all i'm going to say is that a team with a decent hitting coach is going to get ahold of uribe, and we're not going to be happy with the result.

I doubt that.

The most patient pitching coach in the world won't be able to teach Juan patience and a good approach at the plate. He's always been like that so I doubt he'll magically turn into a low K, high OBP hitter. It's the defense, homers and hot streaks that make it worthwhile to have him around.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-06-2008, 12:07 PM
And what's with Crede being out w/a "migraine headache?" Is that just a line of bull**** or what? A headache isn't a good enough reason to be sitting on the bench! You're grown men for crying out loud, suck it up take some ibuprofen and get your ass out there and score some runs!

has crede ever been held out of a game before for a migraine? i don't remember it happening. if he hasn't, i'm calling BS on him having a migraine last night. it's just a bit too coincidental that a guy coming off back surgery, with an expiring contract, that a team would like to trade gets one for the first time.

Chicken Dinner
05-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Richar would be the optimal replacement, but he's not close to coming back yet.

Chase Utley would be the optimal replacement. Richar's 187 big league at bats with his .230 avg and .289 OBP isn't going to change the landscape of this team.

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2008, 12:12 PM

Once again, reading one post and taking everything out of context. :rolleyes:

It's all stupid fun speculation being thrown up against the wall.

Anyway, with a team that has made dumb move after dumb move since winning the WS, anything is possible these days.

russ99
05-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Chase Utley would be the optimal replacement. Richar's 187 big league at bats with his .230 avg and .289 OBP isn't going to change the landscape of this team.

Realistically. The Sox aren't going to get Utley, Roberts or any other high-profile 2B this season. They don't have top-end trading chips to make those kinds of deals either both on the MLB roster (unless you stupidly deal Vazquez, Danks or Floyd) or in the minors. Also, draft picks are not tradeable. Fields/Crede and Uribe won't get us a mid-level MLB player, much less an all-star.

Despite his mediocre numbers last season, Richar would at least be an improvement over Uribe. Or at least a stopgap until Ramirez or Getz is ready.

Chicken Dinner
05-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Despite his mediocre numbers last season, Richar would at least be an improvement over Uribe

He's on the DL and hasn't played baseball in well over a month.

russ99
05-06-2008, 12:17 PM
He's on the DL and hasn't played baseball in well over a month.

My previous post: Richar would be the optimal replacement, but he's not close to coming back yet.

UofCSoxFan
05-06-2008, 12:17 PM
I assume you meant to use the word "IF", not "IS".

Now my reply:

IF he passes waivers!?!?!?!.

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

I know Uribe was put on waivers this spring. Did he pass unclaimed or did the Sox pull him back? I can't remember. If he passed unclaimed, I believe he does not need to be put on waivers again this year in order to be sent down since you only have to clear waivers once. Can anyone comment on this that may know more?

SoxGirl4Life
05-06-2008, 12:18 PM
What I find really curious is the thought that Owens/Fields/Richar are going to be the ones to pull us out from this slump.

I know they're ok players, but weren't they here last year for THE SLUMP? I know the Sox had a pretty decent September, but August was awful. I still want to puke when I think of those Seattle games, and the Red Sox games :whiner:.

LoveYourSuit
05-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Why is it mysterious? :?:

Because the guy has never had a history of them.

Usualy you would hear about this flaring up in the past, all of sudden 6-7 years into his career this is the first case I hear of it.

Who cares anyway.

Some of you guys get way bent out shape when people speculate things. Realize that this is what makes these boards fun.

Just have fun guys, that's all we can do when our team sucks.

btrain929
05-06-2008, 12:20 PM

Usualy you would hear about this flaring up in the past, all of sudden 6-7 years into his career this is the first case I hear of it.

Who cares anyway.

Some of you guys get way bent out shape when people speculate things. Realize that this is what makes these boards fun.

Maybe he's had some but they were during the offseason when we wouldn't hear about it.

SoxGirl4Life
05-06-2008, 12:22 PM

Who cares anyway.

I started mysteriously having migranes regularly when I was ten years old. Then they mysteriously went away in my twenties. Nothing was ever diagnosed and I had gone years without having one. However, after a welcomed 10 year break, I did get a doozy this past winter. Had me incapacitated for two days. It can happen.

Chicken Dinner
05-06-2008, 12:22 PM
What I find really curious is the thought that Owens/Fields/Richar are going to be the ones to pull us out from this slump.

I know they're ok players, but weren't they here last year for THE SLUMP? I know the Sox had a pretty decent September, but August was awful. I still want to puke when I think of those Seattle games, and the Red Sox games :whiner:.

Exactly!

Lip Man 1
05-06-2008, 12:53 PM
UofC:

There were reports in the newspapers that two teams put in a claim for Uribe (Dodgers and S.F.) but when Kenny tried to work out a deal he felt they weren't offering enough, then when Richar got hurt, the Sox pulled him back off waivers as a precaution.

Lip

kittle42
05-06-2008, 01:00 PM
The Sox don't have any answers in AAA, save maybe for Fields, and he's sucking it up. Such is the sad state of the team.

PatK
05-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Not that I agree with it, but I could see them possibly dumping Thome, bringing up Owens, and having him or BA in center, and having Swisher at right with Dye DHing.

Jermaine doesn't look like his legs can hold up for many more seasons in right.

WhiteSox5187
05-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Still no official word yet?

Sockinchisox
05-06-2008, 01:05 PM

I'd wait until game time, and if nothing happens then, then nothing will probably happen.

Soxfanspcu11
05-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Ozuna needs to go.

:o::scratch:

Are you crazy???

We have Ozuna for practically nothing and he is a great utility guy.

He should be kept around as at the very least, a pinch hitter.

However, he has many other assets.

EDIT-I meant pinch RUNNER.

I could understand if it were a money issue or something but seriously, this guy plays for peanuts. He CERTAINLY should NOT be going anywhere!

JB98
05-06-2008, 01:19 PM

Maybe they had a meeting and realized that everyone in Charlotte sucks too, so they decided not to make any moves.

I suppose they could shake things up to try to send a message, but there aren't any saviors on the Knights roster, that's for sure.

I've been LOL at posters who think Fields is one of the best hitters in the organization. He's a high-strikeout guy with great power. People are criticizing the Sox for their all-or-nothing approach in one breath, then calling for Fields to be added to the lineup the next. It's insane.

Gammons Peter
05-06-2008, 01:19 PM

Are you crazy???

great? how is he great? He can't play ANY position and can't hit. Has he made solid contact one time this year? NO

JB98
05-06-2008, 01:21 PM

Are you crazy???

I could understand if it were a money issue or something but seriously, this guy plays for peanuts. He CERTAINLY should NOT be going anywhere!

I agree with you. Ozuna is struggling this year, but I don't see him as being a problem.

Release a utility infielder and the backup catcher. That will send a message.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Maybe they had a meeting and realized that everyone in Charlotte sucks too, so they decided not to make any moves.

I suppose they could shake things up to try to send a message, but there aren't any saviors on the Knights roster, that's for sure.

I've been LOL at posters who think Fields is one of the best hitters in the organization. He's a high-strikeout guy with great power. People are criticizing the Sox for their all-or-nothing approach in one breath, then calling for Fields to be added to the lineup the next. It's insane.
I'm glad you brought this up. Everyone is complaining about the Thome-Konerko-Dye trio of slow sluggers and then they want to bring up the same type of player, albeit younger. :scratch:

Domeshot17
05-06-2008, 01:35 PM
I agree with you. Ozuna is struggling this year, but I don't see him as being a problem.

Release a utility infielder and the backup catcher. That will send a message.

About as big of a message as releasing the 9 hitter defensive specialist 2b

The real problem is we have 1 guy 1-8 hitting, and he looked bad with a move to the 2 hole last night. Swish looks so confused up there, Thome all of the sudden forgot how to hit a curveball, Konerko is in his typical season doesn't start until I get blazing hot end of may form, AJ is trying to hit everything out of the park, Crede has gone into full pop out mood and Dye too is trying to hit a homer every at bat.

That change has to come from that core. Bringing up Jerry Owens does nothing because there is no room for him. You are stuck with Dye because you just resigned him, and an outright release would be moronic. You can't bench Swisher after 6 weeks because of how much you traded for him (as much as that sucks, that is pro baseball) and why would you bench Quentin.

So you either trade/DFA Thome (and I dont see us taking that hit), or you pony up for a 2b with speed who can lead off and put a spark into the energy (and I dont see kenny doing that either). So if it just a change to a scrub like Getz, why bother.

I am one the biggest Uribe hater's around, this is clear. But you don't blame the 9 hitter for offensive woes. Especially when he has been huge defensively. How many times early this year were our pitchers in trouble and and Cabrera and Uribe turn 2? How many times was that a turn an average 2b like Tadahito doesn't make? Uribe hitting 9 is there for his D, which is ok.

PorkChopExpress
05-06-2008, 01:37 PM

I think people are just sick of seeing the same guys do it all the time and are looking for a change whether that change makes sense or not. Plus, Fields has a little more speed than Thome/Konerko and I'm guessing is chomping at the bit to prove he should stay rather than taking the veteran approach of waiting out the storm. Does he make sense at this point? Probably not. Is he someone other than Thome/Konerko/Dye/Crede/Uribe? Yes.

Chicken Dinner
05-06-2008, 01:44 PM
I guess this is the big roster move.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080506&content_id=2649748&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Sockinchisox
05-06-2008, 01:45 PM
I guess this is the big roster move.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080506&content_id=2649748&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

That happened last night, Cowley said it would be something other than that.

Tragg
05-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Ramirez, Ozuna....it's the same thing. Utility level production. Ramirez could develop, Ozuna will not.
One, not both.
They aren't going anywhere...my guess is if we do anything trade wise, we give Anderson away.

alohafri
05-06-2008, 02:05 PM
If they keep playing like this, it won't matter who we get rid of. I am almost to the point of getting rid of almost everybody for some "near can't-miss" prospects. What difference does it make if we lose with Thome-Konerko-Dye-Crede-Uribe, or with a group of 22 year olds?

Tragg
05-06-2008, 02:19 PM
If they keep playing like this, it won't matter who we get rid of. I am almost to the point of getting rid of almost everybody for some "near can't-miss" prospects. What difference does it make if we lose with Thome-Konerko-Dye-Crede-Uribe, or with a group of 22 year olds?

None of those guys would bring much now.

Sox It To Em
05-06-2008, 02:22 PM

Are you crazy???

Ozuna so far has posted an abysmal line of .172/.172/.172 and is poor defensively. He isn't the reason for our offensive woes, and DFAing him might accomplish nary a thing, but he no longer appears to be the great utility guy he was in 2005 and 2006.

barryball
05-06-2008, 02:34 PM
I am fed up as any Sox fan about the lack of hitting the past 8 - 10 days, beginning basically during the Yankme and O's series in Chicago through Twinkies and Jays. The suspended game really sucked since we should have won the game in 9 innings. The slump has been all hitting related. The pitching has been very good and if we had gotten any timely hits in Minny or Toronto we would have at a minmimum splt the 6 games. I have to believe that we will hit better and if we continue to pitch like we have we will get back on track again. That being said we can't go through cycles like this and we need to try and make things happen by moving runners over etc... I think we need to platoon Owens, TCQ, Dye and Thome (switch Dye as the RH DH against lefties), as we need Owens speed in the line-up. Play Ozuna 100% as he is faster than Uribe and can steal and bunt better. I'd rather have Ozuna hit 250 with little power vs. Uribe and he's 200 avg/ K's.

KyWhiSoxFan
05-06-2008, 02:36 PM
None of those guys would bring much now.

But it sure would free up a lot salary to rebuild for the future.

oeo
05-06-2008, 02:42 PM

Saviors? No. A couple a guys that could come up and inject some energy into this team? Sure.

Give Getz a shot, give Bourgeious a shot. Maybe they don't necessarily belong on the major league roster, but we could get lucky. The Twins constantly have guys that don't belong on major league rosters, but they get the job done. Look at the Flubs and how they got lucky with Ryan Theriot and Mike Fontenot last year when they were having middle infield problems early on.

There's no reason not to give those guys a shot. Uribe is giving us basically nothing. He's not even his normal ****ty self, he's much, much worse.

KyWhiSoxFan
05-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Didn't the Sox give up Aaron Miles to get Uribe? If so, can we reverse the trade?

Hokiesox
05-06-2008, 02:51 PM
I gave Kenny my trust in winning for now at the beginning of the season. And, yeah, it's only been 10 days of no hitting but I'm fed up. I'm 100% ready to blow this team up. Bring in some kids. Keep the pitching if they'll stay, otherwise we need to see some promising talent in here.

TDog
05-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Didn't the Sox give up Aaron Miles to get Uribe? If so, can we reverse the trade?

I hope that wasn't a criticism of the the Miles-for-Uribe deal. Whatever anyone feels about Juan Uribe now, his defense was extremely important in 2005. The best defensive inning of his career came in the ninth inning of Game 4 of the World Series.

BadBobbyJenks
05-06-2008, 03:13 PM

I hope that wasn't a criticism of the the Miles-for-Uribe deal. Whatever anyone feels about Juan Uribe now, his defense was extremely important in 2005. The best defensive inning of his career came in the ninth inning of Game 4 of the World Series.

I really hope that was a joke. If there is anyone more worthless than Uribe it is Aaron Miles.

cws05champ
05-06-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm as fed up as anyone, but blowing up this team does not makes sense right now. Come mid-June and we are 8+ games out with 3 teams to jump in the division...yes, then you start looking at it. No Huge deals happen at this time of the year.
I hate watching this team on offense right now, but we are still in this thing, and with the pitching the way it is...we may be able to stay in it if the hitting turns around.
As I have stated earlier in the thread, some shake up needs to occur(Walker fired, Ozuna gone, Owens up, linup changes). But to completely give up at this point is over reacting.

turners56
05-06-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm as fed up as anyone, but blowing up this team does not makes sense right now. Come mid-June and we are 8+ games out with 3 teams to jump in the division...yes, then you start looking at it. No Huge deals happen at this time of the year.
I hate watching this team on offense right now, but we are still in this thing, and with the pitching the way it is...we may be able to stay in it if the hitting turns around.
As I have stated earlier in the thread, some shake up needs to occur(Walker fired, Ozuna gone, Owens up, linup changes). But to completely give up at this point is over reacting.

We're two games back and playing the first place team that sucks on the road for the next 3 days. Who knows, it might be the dome syndrome :o:. Plus, blowing the team up of veterans is stupid at this point of the season, get some call ups, get rid of unproductive journeymen, and see how it goes for another month. If we're still as bad as we are on June 6th, then we should start blowing things up.

Tragg
05-06-2008, 04:16 PM
There's no reason not to give those guys a shot. Uribe is giving us basically nothing. He's not even his normal ****ty self, he's much, much worse.
Good point.
Williams should have stuck with his instincts and cut Uribe in the spring like he wanted to.

voodoochile
05-06-2008, 04:25 PM
But it sure would free up a lot salary to rebuild for the future.

How are you going to "rebuild for the future" in May? The only way to do that is to acquire a bunch of talent in exchange for high priced vets, but if you can't get the young talent, then all you can do is get rid of players who make money, but there's no one to spend money on right now. You can't go out and sign a ton of young FA talent. The draft isn't until June and then you still have to take what you can at the slots you are allowed. You might be able to sign a bunch of FA talent next fall with the money you saved now, but that's no guarantee of achieving at a later date - see Yankees, NY; Tigers, Detroit and Mets, NY.

Selling at an all time low to gain nothing but money to be spent next off season 30 games into the season is a horrible business model for any MLB team to follow. It not only doesn't make much sense, it makes no sense at all. It's white flagging it simply to stuff money into JR's pockets.

:reinsy
"You're my kind of fan, KyWhiSoxFan. How about a couple free passes to the owner's box and a box of dippin' dots, on me..."

voodoochile
05-06-2008, 04:26 PM

Why?

soxinem1
05-06-2008, 05:08 PM

Was this meant to be in teal?

Do we need another puchless INF with no range?

cards press box
05-06-2008, 05:16 PM
I gave Kenny my trust in winning for now at the beginning of the season. And, yeah, it's only been 10 days of no hitting but I'm fed up. I'm 100% ready to blow this team up. Bring in some kids. Keep the pitching if they'll stay, otherwise we need to see some promising talent in here.

I know that the Sox aren't hitting right now but this seems just a bit premature. If I'm not mistaken, the Sox were 3rd in the AL in ERA going into last night's game in which they gave up 1 run. If the Sox end up 2nd or 3rd in the AL in ERA, they will almost certainly be in the playoffs. Thus, it might be a little early to blow things up.

ondafarm
05-06-2008, 05:32 PM
I know that the Sox aren't hitting right now but this seems just a bit premature. If I'm not mistaken, the Sox were 3rd in the AL in ERA going into last night's game in which they gave up 1 run. If the Sox end up 2nd or 3rd in the AL in ERA, they will almost certainly be in the playoffs. Thus, it might be a little early to blow things up.

I like your confidence and prediction.

AZChiSoxFan
05-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Well, I should have known better. No big roster moves, as Cowley had reported would happen.

I'm just thrilled to death that the lineup stinks, combined with the fact that the Sox have virtually no talent on the farm.

Oh well, at least it will be easier to get tickets to home games in the coming decade.

voodoochile
05-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Well, I should have known better. No big roster moves, as Cowley had reported would happen.

I'm just thrilled to death that the lineup stinks, combined with the fact that the Sox have virtually no talent on the farm.

Oh well, at least it will be easier to get tickets to home games in the coming decade.

:darkcloud:

oeo
05-06-2008, 05:38 PM

Whatever. The Sox have talent in their lower minors, paired with the young talent in Fields, Quentin, Richar, Danks, Floyd, Ramirez, Richar...we will be fine in the future. You act like we have no young talent...which couldn't be farther from the truth.

cards press box
05-06-2008, 05:44 PM
I like your confidence and prediction.

Thank you. Hitting comes and goes and in the last 6 games, it just hasn't been there. In the last six games, the Sox had 32 hits in 188 at bats for an anemic .170 average. Does anyone seriously think that they will hit anything close to .170 for the rest of the year?

What's more, the league ERA leaders almost always make the playoffs. It is the surest statistical indicator of reaching the post-season that exists.

Right now, the Sox' 5 starters are pitching great and Lance Broadway is absolutely dominating Triple-A. I want to see some more baseball before I draw any conclusions about the White Sox, the rest of the Al Central or the AL.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Thank you. Hitting comes and goes and in the last 6 games, it just hasn't been there. In the last six games, the Sox had 32 hits in 188 at bats for an anemic .170 average. Does anyone seriously think that they will hit anything close to .170 for the rest of the year?

What's more, the league ERA leaders almost always make the playoffs. It is the surest statistical indicator of reaching the post-season that exists.

Right now, the Sox' 5 starters are pitching great and Lance Broadway is absolutely dominating Triple-A. I want to see some more baseball before I draw any conclusions about the White Sox, the rest of the Al Central or the AL.

A breath of fresh air.:smile:

Sockinchisox
05-06-2008, 06:17 PM

He didn't say for sure they would happen, he said they might happen.

Sockinchisox
05-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Cowley just updated it again and said Uribe is still on the team, and that the rumors about someone getting cut was only player speculation.

Edit: He just updated it again and said at least 3 players heard it was going to be "Black Tuesday".

balke
05-06-2008, 06:37 PM
The only truth I see from this is a big series with the Twins coming up. If the Sox do something stupid like get swept here, I could see heads rolling. Uribe and Crede gone, while exploring what other veteran's might be wanted by other teams.

The fans are going to go nuts if this continues.

Chicken Dinner
05-06-2008, 06:41 PM
That's bad reporting!

soxstarter
05-06-2008, 06:58 PM
So I have been through this entire thread looking for some hard news follow up to the "twitter" that has been expressed. Has this story died?

Frontman
05-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Now, does Cowley get this information from doing actual reporting, or does he sim the season on a PS3 and see which moves the Sox might make?

cws05champ
05-06-2008, 07:40 PM
That's bad reporting!
C'mon....it's a blurb that he enters from his mobile phone or laptop on what he had heard might happen. Would it be any fun for us to speculate on here if he didn't enter anything? :cool:

WhiteSox5187
05-06-2008, 07:46 PM
C'mon....it's a blurb that he enters from his mobile phone or laptop on what he had heard might happen. Would it be any fun for us to speculate on here if he didn't enter anything? :cool:
But you just KNOW that he is going to defend this tommorrow and blast the posters here for being "nerds that live in their mother's basement."

Sockinchisox
05-06-2008, 07:53 PM

Actually, he put it in is game recap in the paper today as well.

TDog
05-06-2008, 07:55 PM
That's bad reporting!

It's sports reporting. There is a lower standard. How many trade rumors reported in newspapers ever develop? Sports reporters aren't held accountable for their bad reporting, so what difference does it make?

rocky biddle
05-06-2008, 08:00 PM
It's sports reporting. There is a lower standard. How many trade rumors reported in newspapers ever develop? Sports reporters aren't held accountable for their bad reporting, so what difference does it make?

Besides, he works for the Scum-Times. That's not really a newspaper, thus no adherence to journalistic standards is expected.

kaufsox
05-07-2008, 01:11 AM

That's the key to this type of thing, Cowley was just speculating on information he heard around the clubhouse. That information, like trade rumors change in a heartbeat. He was just doing his job

Domeshot17
05-07-2008, 01:19 AM
I wonder if this was a little mind game played by Ozzie or Kenny.

It could make sense. What hasn't worked, Ozzie taking heat off the guys, pep talks, encouragement, coaching.

What had not been tried, FEAR.

Maybe Kenny and Ozzie mentioned heads rolling and the players mentioning they heard it would be black tuesday to send the message, if you want this to happen, keep it up, if you like being a pro baseball player, play like it.

All of the sudden the teams comes out hot and aggressive tonight, with a sense of urgency.

In my mind that is exactly what went down. They found a way to put a little urgency in the guys. For those of you who played beyond high school, you know the worst thing that can ever happen is you get comfy, fat and happy.

Frontman
05-07-2008, 01:22 AM

It could make sense. What hasn't worked, Ozzie taking heat off the guys, pep talks, encouragement, coaching.

Maybe Kenny and Ozzie mentioned heads rolling and the players mentioning they heard it would be black tuesday to send the message, if you want this to happen, keep it up, if you like being a pro baseball player, play like it.

All of the sudden the teams comes out hot and aggressive tonight, with a sense of urgency.

In my mind that is exactly what went down. They found a way to put a little urgency in the guys. For those of you who played beyond high school, you know the worst thing that can ever happen is you get comfy, fat and happy.

They should then take the name plaque's off of the lockers of those still struggling and replace them with masking tape and black magic marker. It would certainly seem a bit more real then!

WhiteSox5187
05-07-2008, 01:57 AM

Christ the WORST thing to happen to me in high school was to get comfy, fat and happy...that and my inability to identify a breaking pitch out of the pitcher's hand.

DeadMoney
05-07-2008, 02:44 AM
Just an observation, but it seemed like Hawk was REALLY pulling for Uribe tonight (a lot more so than usual). Did anyone else notice this, or was I just hearing things?

If so, maybe Juan was 'put on notice'.

EDIT: I was probably hearing crazy things, but I had the game on in the background (while studying), so almost all I could go by was what I was hearing.

Droso5
05-07-2008, 09:37 AM
:gulp:Just an observation, but it seemed like Hawk was REALLY pulling for Uribe tonight (a lot more so than usual). Did anyone else notice this, or was I just hearing things?

If so, maybe Juan was 'put on notice'.

EDIT: I was probably hearing crazy things, but I had the game on in the background (while studying), so almost all I could go by was what I was hearing.

I felt the same way about Hawk and Uribe last night as well. Hawk is def. a homer, but you can tell who he really likes when things get tough. Lots of excuses..."He may be hitting .123 but he is dangerous!" and other similar lines. Hawk is, in a way, a mouth piece, of the front office as well....so you can maybe tell the direction of the wind so to speak when listening to him.

AZChiSoxFan
05-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Whatever. The Sox have talent in their lower minors, paired with the young talent in Fields, Quentin, Richar, Danks, Floyd, Ramirez, Richar...we will be fine in the future. You act like we have no young talent...which couldn't be farther from the truth.

Yes, the Sox have SOME young talent, but not much compared to other orgs. Check out the list everytime Baseball America ranks the farm systems.

soxtalker
05-07-2008, 11:33 AM
That's the key to this type of thing, Cowley was just speculating on information he heard around the clubhouse. That information, like trade rumors change in a heartbeat. He was just doing his job

Looking back at his original twitter post, that's all he was claiming -- rumor around the clubhouse. Anyone who has been in a company where layoffs are rumored can identify with this. Sometimes such rumors are accurate; sometimes they are not. It was good reporting. We probably made too much of it here on WSI, but it yielded a rather interesting discussion.

Jerko
05-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Twitter is one thing, texting the Sox post-game show host while the show is on air, and mentioning names, is another IMO. Don't know who sent the text but something was amiss there.

cws05champ
05-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Yes, the Sox have SOME young talent, but not much compared to other orgs. Check out the list everytime Baseball America ranks the farm systems.
And the Sox are at or near the bottom this year after the trades made. But this can change quickly in 1-2 years, especially with the high draft pick the Sox have this year. Baseball america does a great job IMO, but it is still one of the hardest things to predict, prospects long term success. I think the previous posters point is we have a core of young players already producing at the ML level(TCQ, Danks, Floyd, Swish) with Fields, Richar and Alexi developing. Thrown in Poreda's upside within 1-2 years with the current starting rotation we have and I'm reasonably happy with that.

kaufsox
05-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Looking back at his original twitter post, that's all he was claiming -- rumor around the clubhouse. Anyone who has been in a company where layoffs are rumored can identify with this. Sometimes such rumors are accurate; sometimes they are not. It was good reporting. We probably made too much of it here on WSI, but it yielded a rather interesting discussion.

yep, and I don't put it beyond Kenny and Ozzie being the source. Reading enough inside baseball type books, GM's and managers use the media all the time. Like some others have said to provoke fear, to measure interest from other clubs, and I wouldn't doubt, just to watch Cowley, Levine, and Gonzalez chase their tails for a day. It also could be a J. Edgar Hoover "borders" type thing.

oeo
05-07-2008, 12:15 PM

Young talent doesn't necessarily mean having a good farm system. The Sox don't have much in the middle of their farm system. They have talent that's ready in AAA or already here. Also, their lower minors have some talent, as well.

Things aren't all doom and gloom; our future looks bright.