PDA

View Full Version : Young Pitching drives me nuts!

chisoxt
08-02-2001, 10:05 PM
I never understood what people see in young pithcers like Kip Wells. One minute they're on, the next they're off. Or they get hurt and they're out for an extended period of time. You can't rely on them at all, especially in tough situations. And you know the minute that they get it all figured out, they're pitching for another club (Jason Bere). The long and the short of it, if you're trying to win, you better have a veteran staff. Otherwise you're screwed. From the look of our current rotation, we're screwed, this year and next.

Iguana775
08-02-2001, 11:56 PM
a HUGH reason for kipper not doing so well, IMO, is that he doesnt get the ball and throw it. he stands on the mound with his thumb up his ass trying to stall for some god awful reason. the faster you work, the better you are going to throw. simple as that.

also, i think another reason is that a few weeks ago, he got hit with a come-backer and he might be a little cautions like when mo vaughn hit one back to him in ST last year.

just my 2 pennies. :)

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 12:10 AM
also, i think another reason is that a few weeks ago, he got hit with a come-backer and he might be a little cautions like when mo vaughn hit one back to him in ST last year.

He was hit again tonight!

KingXerxes
08-03-2001, 12:12 AM
chisoxt pretty well summed up why I'm not completely sold on this team going into next year. I've watched the game long enough to get the intuitive feel that when a pitcher first comes up to the big leagues - his first 10 starts or so really doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot. The only mark of excellence is consistent excellence. Now isn't this the third year that Kip Wells has started out okay and then fallen apart? If everybody on our staff was throwing at 95 mph with great curves, but were struggling to find the plate - then I would tend to think that we just need some seasoning, I'm just not getting that feeling from any of our guys. Maybe I'm expecting too much.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 01:24 AM
Maybe I'm expecting too much.

I think the problem is the Sox build these guys up to the point where they simply cannot meet the expecations that the organization has set for them.

Bmr31
08-03-2001, 02:08 PM
Man when i see posts like this, it just makes me sick. These guys are all in their early 20's. Some as young as 21 or 22. You are not going to see consistency from any pitcher at this age. Take a chill pill and wait for them to develop. Besides, who expected the sox to win this year or next, with these guys in the rotation?

delben91
08-03-2001, 02:20 PM
These guys are all in their early 20's. Some as young as 21 or 22. You are not going to see consistency from any pitcher at this age.

I agree with bmr here. These kids have all flashed some talent this year and consistency will come with experience, I say, we probably aren't going anywhere this year, so stick with the kids in the rotation, get them some experience. Buerhle and Lowe are probably going to be pretty consistent the rest of the year, let Kipper, Jon and Wright or whoever else they bring up feed off that.

On another note, impressive relief work by Ginter last night. Anyone see the game that could tell if he pitched as well as the box score indicates? Be nice if he turned it around.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 02:22 PM
On another note, impressive relief work by Ginter last night. Anyone see the game that could tell if he pitched as well as the box score indicates? Be nice if he turned it around.

I saw the game but wasn't paying attention but if you recall Ginter came in for Glover in his spot start and looked good vs. the Indians. So yes I think he is starting to turn things around.

KingXerxes
08-03-2001, 02:40 PM
I am willing to wait for these guys to develop, my point was that I don't see any of them having the type of stuff to really develop into a dominating type of pitcher.

Can one or two of them evolve into the next Greg Maddux? Possibly, but my point is that I don't particularly like our odds of this happening.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 02:42 PM
Can one or two of them evolve into the next Greg Maddux?

Hawk seems to think so.

Paulwny
08-03-2001, 02:46 PM
You're right King, I've lived through too many future Cy Youngs with the sox.

Bmr31
08-03-2001, 06:30 PM
Hawk claims every young sox player, especially pitcher, is the next great player. Hes been wrong so many times, that i dont pay attention to what he says. I watch with my own eyes and i can tell you that Garland and Buehrle are going to be very good major league pitchers. After those two, its anyones guess.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 06:34 PM
Hawk claims every young sox player, especially pitcher, is the next great player. Hes been wrong so many times, that i dont pay attention to what he says. I watch with my own eyes and i can tell you that Garland and Buehrle are going to be very good major league pitchers. After those two, its anyones guess.

What do you see in Biddle future BMR?
(I know what the answer is, but I just want to see it again)

FarWestChicago
08-03-2001, 06:34 PM

What about Rocked? :)

Bmr31
08-03-2001, 06:36 PM
Biddle will be wearing a shiny yellow hat, on a construction site, in 2 or 3 years.....

WindyCityHusker
08-03-2001, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Biddle will be wearing a shiny yellow hat, on a construction site, in 2 or 3 years.....

Maybe he'll be helping out with the renovation of Comiskey =p

Bmr31
08-03-2001, 06:40 PM
lol windy!

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 06:42 PM

I was expecting the "BIDDLE SUCKS!" answer but that is close enough!

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by WindyCityHusker

Maybe he'll be helping out with the renovation of Comiskey =p

No the park will be have to be ready for the 2003 All-Star game. Maybe parking cars at the All-Star Game?

Bmr31
08-03-2001, 06:50 PM
Biddle parking cars? would YOU trust rocked biddle, parking your car, if you saw him? lol

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Biddle parking cars? would YOU trust rocked biddle, parking your car, if you saw him? lol

:rocked
Are you saying there is something wrong with how I look?

Bmr31
08-03-2001, 06:55 PM
Yeah rocked! Im just waiting for all the piercings to show up............