PDA

View Full Version : Some Cabrera Hating

shingo10
05-05-2008, 09:02 PM
It seems like OC has gotten a free pass when it comes to the constant complaining about this lineup. Granted, nobody has done much since the Baltimore series, but Orlando has done nothing ALL year. He's awful with runners in scoring position (his pathetic at bat in the 3rd as evidence) and gets a few sporadic hits when it doesn't matter at all. Not signing him long term doesn't bother me at all. In fact maybe we can get him out of here by July.

JB98
05-05-2008, 09:05 PM
It seems like OC has gotten a free pass when it comes to the constant complaining about this lineup. Granted, nobody has done much since the Baltimore series, but Orlando has done nothing ALL year. He's awful with runners in scoring position (his pathetic at bat in the 3rd as evidence) and gets a few sporadic hits when it doesn't matter at all. Not signing him long term doesn't bother me at all. In fact maybe we can get him out of here by July.

If indeed the OC acquisition proves to be a mistake, at least we can get rid of him at the deadline or at the end of the season.

OC does not have a contract for 2009. Right now, that's a damn good thing.

It's Time
05-05-2008, 09:15 PM
This guy has been a bust and it almost seems like he is going through the motions (I know he is not). He just seems like he does not like being here. Thus far, he, Thome and Swish have not got the job done.

veeter
05-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Swisher and Thome were fine early on. Cabrera, nothing yet.

roadrunner
05-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Looks so far like the Angels made the right call. Too bad KW used one of his better bargaining chips for this bust. A guy that plays everyday and hits second would have 5 RBI by accident by now.

itsnotrequired
05-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Let's all start threads hating on every player.

Chicken Dinner
05-05-2008, 10:38 PM

Hate is a tough word.......disappointed is another.

BRDSR
05-05-2008, 11:00 PM

Yeah! I hate Jenks! The bum hasn't converted a save in over a week!

LoveYourSuit
05-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah! I hate Jenks! The bum hasn't converted a save in over a week!

Breaking news

April 16 was his last save. Almost 3 weeks.

:whiner:

LoveYourSuit
05-05-2008, 11:07 PM

He gets a pass just like Swisher because he wasn't here last year to suck.

1st year suckage always gets a pass.

Lefty34
05-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Looks so far like the Angels made the right call. Too bad KW used one of his better bargaining chips for this bust. A guy that plays everyday and hits second would have 5 RBI by accident by now.

Yeah truth. Just goes to show that KW is one of the more egotistical GM's in the game with a short memory, which makes him a lot like John Paxson. What I mean is that if KW was to do his homework, he would have seen that he was giving away one of his best bargaining chips for a guy that has a career line of .272/.320/.400 and a career OPS+ of 85. That being said, Cabrera doesn't strike out a whole bunch compared to how much he walks, but a career .320 OBP?!

To contrast, Swisher has a career OBP of .360, with his career high being .381, which came last year. Cabrera's career high OBP, however, is only .347. Also, when you look at Swisher's career OPS+ of 116 compared to Cabrera's of 85, it should be clear who should be getting these "passes". On top of that, Swisher currently has an OBP of .354 while AVGing .210! His AVG is bound to pick up, while Cabrera is AVGing .220 with a mean OBP of .298. Swisher will get a pass every day of the week and twice on Sunday, especially because he is third on the team in OBP and first in BB's, while Cabrera should get dick, seeing as how he is 9th and 5th in those categories.

Nellie_Fox
05-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Let's all start threads hating on every player.I think it's pretty much already happened.

Lefty34
05-06-2008, 12:19 AM
I think it's pretty much already happened.

Lol, truth. Though I haven't seen a Pablo Ozuna Hate Thread. Or are we counting the indirect hate he gets on other hate-threads?

oeo
05-06-2008, 01:23 AM

We're a month into the season...and he's a bust already? His defense has come around, and his bat looks better than it did. I don't know what to expect from the guy because I haven't seen him play everyday...but I imagine he will be fine.

The one thing he is not, is a "professional hitter." He's just not...he has terrible ABs with runners on. Perfect #2 hitter...no way, he belongs at the bottom of the order.

santo=dorf
05-06-2008, 06:19 AM
I was one of Garland's biggest critics, but I hated this trade from day 1. It made no sense. All I heard was how the $2.5 million or whatever went to Linebrink and Cabrera was a type A free agent at the end of the year so we could net two draft picks if we offered arbitration and he refused.

1. With the way he's been playing this year, his type A status is in jeopardy.
2. Should the Sox really run the risk of offering him arbitration if he continues playing like this? The Sox's offer could be no less than $7.2 million.
3. Why would Cabrera reject arbitration if he finished the season like this? It's another at least $7.2 million in his pocket and he gets another "free agent to be year" to try and earn another multiyear deal.

This guy is an overrated hacker. The 20 SB's a year or whatever means zilch when he's playing bad defense and killing run scoring opportunities by blatantly interfering with the defense players.

This trade is making me think of Steve Sax :mad:

goon
05-06-2008, 07:14 AM
I was one of Garland's biggest critics, but I hated this trade from day 1. It made no sense. All I heard was how the $2.5 million or whatever went to Linebrink and Cabrera was a type A free agent at the end of the year so we could net two draft picks if we offered arbitration and he refused.

1. With the way he's been playing this year, his type A status is in jeopardy.
2. Should the Sox really run the risk of offering him arbitration if he continues playing like this? The Sox's offer could be no less than $7.2 million.
3. Why would Cabrera reject arbitration if he finished the season like this? It's another at least $7.2 million in his pocket and he gets another "free agent to be year" to try and earn another multiyear deal.

This guy is an overrated hacker. The 20 SB's a year or whatever means zilch when he's playing bad defense and killing run scoring opportunities by blatantly interfering with the defense players.

This trade is making me think of Steve Sax :mad:

Those were the exact reasons he was traded for in the first place. He was supposedly a great defender, until this season apparently, and he had a stellar season at the plate in '07. Who knew he was going to blow so far? Also, the trade was questioned because it left too many questions in the rotation, NOT because Cabrera was overrated. So far, Floyd, Danks and Contreras have exceeded expectations, in fact, they've all pitched better than Garland has for the Angels.

turners56
05-06-2008, 07:17 AM
0-4 yesterday, saw a total of 10 pitches, what a leadoff hitter he is. Seriously we need Owens up here and we need him here now.

kobo
05-06-2008, 07:27 AM
0-4 yesterday, saw a total of 10 pitches, what a leadoff hitter he is. Seriously we need Owens up here and we need him here now.
Owens doesn't exactly work the count either. I don't understand why people want Owens in the lineup. What good is getting on base if nobody can knock you in?

Tragg
05-06-2008, 07:46 AM
If indeed the OC acquisition proves to be a mistake, at least we can get rid of him at the deadline or at the end of the season.

OC does not have a contract for 2009. Right now, that's a damn good thing.
On edit- Santo reminded me in his post that we have to offer him arbitration. He'll take it, as bad as he blows this year....and we'll be stuck with him. What a mess.

turners56
05-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Owens doesn't exactly work the count either. I don't understand why people want Owens in the lineup. What good is getting on base if nobody can knock you in?

Owens will at least see more than ten pitches and do more than hit grounders to David Eckstein.

Tragg
05-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Owens will at least see more than ten pitches and do more than hit grounders to David Eckstein.If Owens played 2B, I'd be with you.
We have 4 middle infielders and not one of them can hit a lick. 2 of this level of ballplayer is too many.