PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine Dye

getonbckthr
05-05-2008, 04:39 PM
In your eyes is he available to any team in a trade? Dye could be useful to teams as a LF, RF, DH and 1B. For us with how Quentin has played and how our 3-4-5 has performed it might be in our best interest to bring up Owens to leadoff, Quentin in RF and Swisher in LF. Maybe we could get a useful 2B out of it. Teams with openings at those spots:
Blue Jays- DH
Rays- DH, RF
Angels-DH
Mariners-DH
Marlins- LF
Mets- 1B (Delgado is rumored to be on the outs)
Padres-OF

JB98
05-05-2008, 04:41 PM
KW had his chance to trade JD last July. Instead, he gave him an extension.

Not gonna happen.

oeo
05-05-2008, 04:43 PM

Not gonna happen.

He 'had his chance' to get nothing in return.

Trading JD isn't totally out of the question. Although, I wouldn't do it unless we were out of the race at the deadline.

JB98
05-05-2008, 04:44 PM
He 'had his chance' to get nothing in return.

Trading JD isn't totally out of the question. Although, I wouldn't do it unless we were out of the race at the deadline.

The topic may be revisited if we are below .500 in July. But for now, it's moot.

russ99
05-05-2008, 04:45 PM

Not gonna happen.

Besides, Jermaine's the #1 candidate to move to DH when Thome leaves or retires (be that in 2009 or 2010), so he'll be around for a while.

As much as most of us wouldn't mind a change in the 3-4-5 guys due to their poor 2007 and slow start to 2008, it probably won't happen. We're gonna sink or swim with those guys.

Hopefully Paulie's starting to break out of his usual early-season funk, which IMO will make a world of difference. I'd also like to see Jim hit more to the left side and break that god-awful shift that's been keeping his average down.

ondafarm
05-05-2008, 04:50 PM
JD plays 1B????

WhiteSox5187
05-05-2008, 04:51 PM
He has a no trade clause for this year.

russ99
05-05-2008, 04:53 PM
JD plays 1B????

Konerko's a good fielding 1B, so there's really no need to move him to DH, unless he starts to break down physically. Swisher's a better choice in the OF, IMO.

If Jim leaves next year, I'd go with Swisher, CF, Quentin in the outfield and Dye at DH. No idea who the CF would be, could be any number of Sox players or outside acquisitions.

eriqjaffe
05-05-2008, 04:55 PM
JD plays 1B????Sure!

In fact, the Sox are undefeated (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200507060.shtml) when he does!

Hmm. Just realized that game also marked Bobby Jenks' major league debut, as well as being one of Shingo's last appearances before being DFA'd.

GAsoxfan
05-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Besides, Jermaine's the #1 candidate to move to DH when Thome leaves or retires (be that in 2009 or 2010), so he'll be around for a while.

As much as most of us wouldn't mind a change in the 3-4-5 guys due to their poor 2007 and slow start to 2008, it probably won't happen. We're gonna sink or swim with those guys.

Hopefully Paulie's starting to break out of his usual early-season funk, which IMO will make a world of difference. I'd also like to see Jim hit more to the left side and break that god-awful shift that's been keeping his average down.

So would the rest of us, but I don't see it happening.

kittle42
05-05-2008, 05:13 PM
This will happen...once we're out of it in July.

France
05-05-2008, 08:07 PM
I think getting rid of JD is a great idea, I am sure we can get a lot of good talent for him, plus free up a lot of payroll.

hi im skot
05-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Dye isn't useful to anyone right now.

Malgar 12
05-05-2008, 09:01 PM

The shift? How about the strikeouts?

Believe It!
05-06-2008, 08:43 PM
If they are going to move anybody, they need to move Thome. He handcuffs the lineup, and is all HR or nothing. With that shift that they put on him you think, ONE time he would take a different approach up at the plate and slap one into left field. But he don't even do that. He has pretty much become an automatic out as of late, and it is getting to the point where I dread when he comes up in big situations.

nut_stock
05-07-2008, 10:00 PM
I agree with the post about keeping him for the day Jim Thome leaves. That could be next season perhaps...

Tragg
05-07-2008, 10:18 PM
In your eyes is he available to any team in a trade?
He couldn't trade him last year - how's he going to do it this year? At 10 Mill per, his contract makes him less desireable than a rent in many ways.
Williams mind changing is of some concern - peddles Dye then signs him, signs Uribe then trades for Cabrera.

thomas35forever
05-07-2008, 10:30 PM
If they are going to move anybody, they need to move Thome. He handcuffs the lineup, and is all HR or nothing. With that shift that they put on him you think, ONE time he would take a different approach up at the plate and slap one into left field. But he don't even do that. He has pretty much become an automatic out as of late, and it is getting to the point where I dread when he comes up in big situations.
Sorry, but he hasn't proved he's tradeable as of late. If you can think of one team that is willing to trade for an aging slugger in the last couple years of his career, I'd like to know.

Jurr
05-07-2008, 10:33 PM
He couldn't trade him last year - how's he going to do it this year? At 10 Mill per, his contract makes him less desireable than a rent in many ways.
Williams mind changing is of some concern - peddles Dye then signs him, signs Uribe then trades for Cabrera.
This is going to be the problem. Dye, Konerko, and Thome need to go. With those contracts, can you actually do it?